Magical Adventuring

I'm considering turning my old Mage chronicle into Adventure.

I'd basically use my Mage setting with the Adventure rules and tune up the pulp factor even more. I think it can be done without much trouble. Dramatic editing allows for strange coincidences and Knacks for vulgar displays of power, so even the magic system would be similar.

I'm also thinking about re-creating my old fantasy game which previously used the standard Storyteller system and use the revised Storyteller system of Adventure instead. That will probably be a bit harder but also a lot of fun.

I'll post more once I get things going to let you all know how it turned out. If you have tried this or similar conversions yourself, feel free to tell me.

Three books with a Pulp style influence are The Sons of Ether, Tales Of Dark Magic,& the Technomancer's Toybox. All of these books have some pulp influence, they can help set the stage back about 2 years ago I ran a Mage/ Coc game that kicked ^=7! It was fun the Adventure system works very well with Mage. For a great place in the Wod, Mars can't be beat. However am talking pre-revised here. Mage & Aberrant also work well together. See the N-Prime website for incorpating supernaturals into your game. If you want to get some great Coc monsters for mage www.nocturnis.net.. See you :wavesmiley

We played a game of Mage using Adventure rules this weekend and it turned out exactly the way I wanted.

For this first test-run I used a simple story about a plane crashing into a forgotten old temple in Tibet, releasing the ancient evil of the snake-demon. Fortunately the heroes were scattered in various locations nearby and could set things right, despite having to struggle with tibetan rebels, the chinese army, snake-men and such.

First session was a simple matter of getting the characters to meet each other and have them decide to go to the wreck site to look for survivors. The session climaxed with a great fight in the makeshift headquarters of the chinese army, somewhere within the temple and ended when the floor collapsed from the fighting dropping the characters to certain death in the darkness below. Cliffhanger time, since it was 4.30 AM by then... but we all decided to get up early the next day and continue.

The second and concluding session wasn't quite as amazing but still very fun. We were all a bit tired and that detracted from the quality of the gaming, but despite that everything worked out nicely. The akashic brother from Shangri-La rescued the survivors from the plane crash before the priests of the snake-demon could turn them into snake-men as well, while the Euthanatos channeled the forces of Kali into the snake-demon, killing it with a hail of bullets through the eyes. (Trick Shot knack aiming for the eyes, combined with sheer heroism to double the dicepool and then Things Fall Apart with a Destructive facet of 4...)

The only problem we ran into was converting existing Mage characters into Adventure characters, but mostly because one of the players decided that he wanted half the Knacks in the book, and some more he made up on the spot. Spirit and Correspondence magic wasn't easily converted either, so I made it into a roleplaying thing rather than a system thing and now it works fine to me. I just have to twist the player's mind around the idea and make him understand what I'm talking about.

And then there was the second problem: everyone kept thinking the game was set in the 1930's, so I constantly had to remind myself and the players that it was a modern setting.

The next game is going to be set in Shanghai rather than a very primitive part of Tibet, and will involve cyber ninjas and guntoting Triads instead of evil snakegods in the temple of doom, or... uh... or something, so I think it will be easier to think "modern" then.

I guess it speaks for the quality of Adventure when just by using the system it makes you think you're in the Pulp era.

Archived