Adventure! RPG - cool period resources

Swashbuckler

Maybe people could post good resources they've found for the period here.

Here's my contribution: The Great Airships, from Time Life Books. I picked it up for $8 at a used bookstore in NYC, but I bet it would be really easy to find online, cheap. It's great. All kinds of history, diagrams and plans of the dirigibles, and cross-sections, the science of them, famous examples, famous disasters, etc, etc.

SB

Hey, Swashbuckler! Welcome aboard. Hope you're enjoying the place.

Brilliant suggestion! That book sounds right up the alley of one of our players, Pax's Pimp. He plays a flying ace in our Adventure game.

I have a long list of online resources on my game's website, but having items like you describe are great.

-Joseph

Nice site! I just bookmarked it. This site is cool too. I'm going to see if I can't drag a few of my friends over to post here.

If you like zeps, here's a site for a game coming out next year that looks kinda neat.

www.zeppelinage.com

pics of the cover of the book and one supplement:

www.zeppelinage.com/promo.shtml

SB

Cool. Well, those are good resources. Here's another one that has done me a lot of good.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/allplanets-hollow

It's a discussion group of people who actually believe that the earth is hollow. So it's from the point of view of true believers, and is pretty "out there." But it's a good resource if you're working on a hollow earth campaign, which I am. Very active group, lots of posts. I mostly just troll the group, since I don't actually believe the earth is hollow, and don't want to screw up their discussion.

SB

I know the ones you're talking about, but can't think of their name. I don't think these guys are that group; they're all kinds of people, many of them believe different things. But they all base their beliefs on a few key things, most of which happened before or during this Adventure! period. Some explorers who believed that there are big holes at the poles, based certain maps and voyages. One of Hitler's many obsessions was apparently with finding the entrance to the Hollow Earth, so this fits in nicely.

Some of the people on this group believe that after atlantis and the other islands like it sank the inhabitants fled to the inner earth, and that their inner kingdom is now where the UFOs come from. It's pretty interesting stuff for wacky pulp plots. Hollow earth theory is rife with stuff to loot for RPGs of all sorts. Some of them believe that this Inner Kingdom, Agharta, has many entrances, including certain tunnels under the Great Pyramid, for example.

SB

Here's a good link that talks about the basics of hollow earth theory, which wraps up with: "While the evidence for either hollow Earth theory is close to nil (although some folks claim to have proof in the form of photos), the story involving Nazis, war, and the romance of exploratory adventure sounds like the makings of a great Indiana Jones story."

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa011199.htm

And a collection of links on the subject:

http://paranormal.about.com/cs/hollowearth/

Archived