Adventure! RPG - Adventure! Villain Archetypes

Colin Chapman

Hey all,

Following on from the detailed listing of Pulp Player Archetypes I submitted to EON waayyy back, here is a similar listing for Pulp Villain Archetypes. I hope you like it. :)

ADVENTURE! Villain Archetypes

The following list of Villain archetypes was compiled to showcase ideas for the main villains, and their immediate henchmen, rather than the nameless mooks and zombies they might employ to do their bidding.

Alien ? Invader from another world, most likely Mars, the alien wrecks havoc with various superscientific death rays and flying saucers, and is known to perform strange experiments. May be intent on world domination.

Assassin ? A trained killer, the assassin is the fanatical dagger-or garrotte-wielding thugee, the Mafia hit-man, or the stealthy Japanese ninja.

Brute ? The huge and powerful villain?s henchman, slow, but massively strong, and seemingly impervious to pain.

Corrupt Civil Servant ? Self-serving, or bribed to serve the interests of a criminal organization or individual, such as the Mafia or a particular villain, or the interests of a ruthless tycoon, the corrupt civil servant can be a cop on the beat, chief of police, federal agent, judge, or politician.

Crazed Inventor ? An insane genius, the crazed inventor cares for nothing save his precious inventions, turning out useful and devastating innovations and infernal devices for his own entertainment or use, or the use of a wealthy backer. May be intent on world domination.

Crime Lord ? A Mafia godfather, ruthlessly running organized crime of many varieties while maintaining the image of a respectable businessman, a powerful drug baron, operating openly, a triad or Yakuza boss, or the leader of a secret criminal elite. May be intent on (covert) world domination.

Cruel Military Officer ? Vindictive, self-serving, or corrupt officer in the employ of a despot, in charge of a group of mercenaries, or even in operating in the armed forces of a reputable nation.

Cult Leader ? Charismatic leader of a group of fanatics, performing ancient and unspeakable occult rites, and inspiring divine fervor in order to further the interests of himself or the cult?s esoteric or mad goals. May be intent on world domination.

Cunning Psychopath ? Insane yet cunning, the psycho kills again and again, bringing grisly terror to a city or neighborhood.

Diabolical Mystic ? Power-hungry and malignant voodoo houngan, tribal witchdoctor, occult sorcerer, or mesmerist, using exotic powers to control and manipulate others, create armies of living or dead followers, or open gateways to Places Man Was Not Meant to Know. May be intent on world domination.

Despot ? Tyrannical local noble or warlord, cruelly keeping the populace in line with secret police or a corrupt military.

Exiled Tyrant ? Justly overthrown leader of a nation or tribe, the exiled tyrant aims to remove the current rightful rulers, and reinstall himself in power, and is building an appropriate army, weapon, or covert plot to do so.

Femme Fatale ? Entirely self-serving and seductive woman, cold-heartedly manipulating men for power and wealth.

Hellfire Minister ? The overly zealous priest or missionary, the hellfire minister has a twisted interpretation of his faith?s creed, and inspires hatred, violence, and intolerance in his faithful.

Hunter of Men ? Having faced down lions, tigers, and rhinos, the hunter of men turns his attention to more intelligent and challenging prey.

Inscrutable Oriental ? Disdainful of the gaijin/gwailo and their ways, the inscrutable oriental often quotes Confucious, Lao Tzu, or Sun Tzu, is a master of mesmerism or martial arts, and/or a leader of an organisation of fanatical followers. May be intent on world domination.

Mad Scientist ? Unfettered by moral or ethical concerns, the mad scientist works on unspeakable experiments in his secret laboratory, such as creating animal-human hybrids, producing horrific mind- and body-altering chemicals, and serves either himself, or a wealthy financier. May be intent on world domination.

Nazi ? Callous follower of Hitler, the nazi could be a military officer, brute, dedicated occultist, twisted scientist, calculating gestapo agent, or cautious spy.

Robot ? Crafted by a mad inventor, technologically advanced ancient civilisation, or alien invader, the robot is a relentless mechanical monster, operating under directions or rampaging wildly.

Ruthless Tycoon ? Caring for nothing save power and profit, the ruthless tycoon allows nothing and no-one to stand in the way of his business and development, buying off and eliminating obstacles as necessary.

Savage Lord ? Leader of a tribe of vicious tribesmen or cavemen, or a individual wild man, the savage lord may or may not be a cannibal, but is known to ferociously hunt and attack all outsiders.

Snivelling Toady ? Puny, boss-eyed, hunchbacked, or otherwise physically imperfect, the snivelling toady is petty, cruel, and ineffectual, but serves as the main villain?s personal servant, if only because his constant fawning massages the villain?s ego.

Spy ? Covertly working to acquire intelligence and other information, the villainous spy is cold-hearted and professional, and works for a nefarious nation, individual, or organization.

Terrorist ? Dedicated anarchist or zealot serving any number of causes, and more than willing to cause wanton death and destruction in doing so.

Vicious Vigilante ? A self-styled avenger, masked or otherwise, the vicious vigilante acts without any restraint or regard, bringing his own brand of justice to anyone he perceives as a wrongdoer, regardless of evidence or the severity of the crime.

Walking Corpse ? Powerful and solitary figure that combines cunning with unearthly power, such as a vampire, or an accursed mummy.

cheers!

Colin

No problems Colin.  Welcome aboard anyways!

Teaching is a time consumer, I know, most of my family (father, all my uncles, half my aunts...  couple of cousins come to think of it) are teachers....

I'd be interested to know about yuor RPG writing when you get a chance though.

Cheers

Hey,

Joseph:

There is a listing of Player Archetypes on the EON Adventure! site, I posted waayyy back.

CHILL:

My rpg involvement (both existing and forthcoming) includes:

* Talislanta 4th ed.

* Talislanta 10th Anniversary Edition

* Symposium - The Tal4 Companion

* Metropolis - The Tal4 City Guide

* Codex Magicus (for Tal4)

* Naturalist's Guide (for Tal4)

* Unknown Lands (for Tal4)

* Monsternomicon (for Privateer Press' "Iron Kingdoms" d20)

* Corvis: City of Ghosts (for PP's IK)

* Iron Kingdoms Campaign Setting

* Arms & Armor (Bastion Press' d20)

* Hydra (for the Waste World rpg)

* A Fist Full of Credits (for the Waste World rpg)

* The Invisible Guild (for Ironclaw rpg)

* All Flesh Must Be Eaten Zombie Master's Screen (although they had to Errata my Credits)

* Enter the Zombie (for AFMBE)

* Tribe 8 Companion (for Tribe 8)

* Sentinels (for Witch Craft rpg)

* The Abomination Codex (for Witch Craft)

* Mechanical Dream rpg

* forthcoming Danger Quest rpg supplement

Well, you did ask... :P

cheers!

Colin

eek - no offence to Breearg and Aeon if they read that last post of mine

::ducks for cover::

I meant 'published', nor 'proper'..........

....the thought occurs that I'm digging myself a bigger hole.

:cheesy

Archived