Aberrant: Dead Rising - Gifts for Allies (Finished)

Courier

May 12th (I think.)

10:30 am. It was a nice day. The sun was out, there was just enough of a breeze to take the sweat away. It might warm up later but for now it was perfect working conditions. James picked up another load of bricks and walked down the wall to where it was supposed to be. He didn't let it show on his face but in the back of his mind he knew he'd rather be out raiding or even just walking around with his ladies. Perfect working conditions meant it was too nice a day to work.

George called out, "Hey James! I saw you walking around with two of the prison chicks. How do you do it man, what's your secret?" Someone outside of James' line of vision said, "He's holding all those bricks and you gotta ask? Can I smoke some of whatever you're on?" Several men laughed, some a bit enviously. It was an open secret that the prison chicks weren't putting out. All men weren't guards, but someone hadn't told them that.

James said, "Strength is crap when it comes to the ladies my friends. I've got one secret and one secret only."

Dave yelled a bit sourly, "Get bitten and live through it."

James replied, "That'd help a lot, but it's reversing cause and effect. You go all super and you can get bit. But I became before I was bitten." James wasn't actually sure this was true but he'd decided to announce it anyway. Rumor had it someone had gotten bitten 'to be like James' and it hadn't worked out well.

James added like he was giving out the secrets to the universe, "No, the secret is... the c-word." Dave yelled a four letter c-word and the men laughed again.

James shook his head and said, "Not that c-word. I'm talking about 'Commitment'. Damn few women want a one night stand. Commitment means, 'Honey I love you and want to marry you. To you and you alone.'..." James sank to one knee like he was proposing and held out an imaginary ring box to one of the men. Then he added, "Or at least to you all and you all alone collectively." The men laughed again, this time pretty hard.

Eric pointed a finger at James and said good naturedly, "James, you're full of shit. Lots of women go for a one night, I got laid last night. Twice. With different women. And no commitment involved." There was a relaxed air to Eric that said he wasn't kidding and several voices expressed disbelief anyway.

James knew Eric had a point about James being full of it. The real secret was being able to smell which might be interested. But James didn't want to advertise that if someone flipped a coin he could smell which way it landed. Instead James replied in a not quite believing but willing to be convinced tone of voice, "Ok, then what's your secret?"

Eric bowed and said, "The Red Tent."

Several voices yelled their support, others looked puzzled, James included. He'd seen the tent-dying effort from the air and had dismissed it as a fad. Something people did to make their place special when they were tired of green. There'd been an episode of M*A*S*H* like that.

James asked, "What's the color of the tent got to do with it?"

Several men started laughing again, like he'd said something funny.

• 2 weeks later...

1:30 pm the same day

James studied the red tent. It was red. And it was a tent. What are you so nervous about? That you'll like what you see? That you won't like it? Your ethical purity won't be diminished by talking to them. Remember when V was talking about starting up something like this? What's different?

James waited until a woman walked out, then he walked up to her and said, "Knock knock. Have a moment to talk?"

The woman eyed James. It struck her as unusual he'd be sniffing around, or maybe not. She replied, "We're not exactly open... but for you lover I'd make an exception." It'd be a real coup to get James as a regular. Insatiable appetite and unlimited money meant absurd profit.

James gave a start and replied, "No thank you. Umm... I'm not a pay-as-you-go kind of guy." James added with nervous humor, "I have problems with sharing too. No, I just wanted to know... your rates, cans and a condom, and the guy supplies the condom?"

A hair confused and edging towards being defensive, The woman replied, "Yes. Exactly. A gal has to eat in this fine world, and many of us were in the business before z-day. We're not looking for a protector if that's why you're here."

James shook his head and replied, "That's not why I'm here."

The woman asked, "Then why...?"

James replied, "It occurred to me that... well... I'm reminded of a cartoon where there's a mouse being chased by a cat, who in turn is being chased by a dog, who in turn is being chased by a dog catcher."

Now thoroughly confused, the woman asked, "Reminded why? Does that mean you're the dog catcher?"

James answered, "No, I'm the mouse. That means it's in my best interests to help the dog. That's you. Thank you for your help, I know what I should do now, I'll be around."

James took a step and launched himself into the air. The woman looked at him soar off and wondered, He's a mouse? I'm a dog? Did he just call me a bitch? He seemed friendly enough. I wonder what that was all about.

6:30 pm the same day

James walked up to the red tent carrying a massive red box with the words "Compliments of James" burned into the sides. He said "Knock knock, I'm back. If it's all right I'll just leave this bye your front door."

The same women he'd met earlier walked out, this time wearing Daisy Duke shorts and a tie off shirt. She eyed him cautiously and said, "Leave it by the entrance? So everyone who walks in thinks we're compliments of you? What's in the box?" It's food I'll bet. Fifty cans for twenty five free rides. Is he just showing off?

James smiled and replied, "It's what's in the box that carries my compliments. Take a look, you've seen it before if I'm not mistaken. They're hard to come by so I thought I'd step in and help."

The woman opened the box and peaked in, she immediately closed it and said, "Oh. My." After a moment she struggled not to laugh.

James said humorously and put the box down next to the entrance, "Yep. I'm not sure how many are in there. Hundreds. Maybe thousands. Condoms compress and they're packed in there. It's the gift that keeps giving."

The woman replied speculatively, "Well, thank you. That's a lot of produce there, could I do something for you for it?"

James and said frankly, "No. This is a selfish gift. I figure we're natural allies. My lifestyle is easier for the camp to tolerate with the red tent around addressing the imbalance."

The woman said, "Thank you anyway I guess. Is that what you meant about the cartoon?"

James replied, "Mice have an easier time of it if cats are being chased by dogs. Not an exact analogy since the tom cats are chasing you, but hey."

The woman smiled, bowed showing off her cleavage, then said, "Woof. And I'm Susan."

James bowed back and said, "Squeak. I'm James."

Archived