World of Darkness: The Academy - Tearing Apart [Mature]

Dawn OOC

"Umm, yes, if I remember right, yes they were," Ryan lied, hoping that he was as alien to them as they were to him. "You'd better return us all to our world. If you let us go I promise that when the Caramel... Caramine ... when the Shovat comes we won't tell him that you tried to steal his Harvest." Ryan was starting to sweat again, this time not from heat or effort but the cold sweat of a man who was risking the frying pan for the fire.

The bats changed direction. They took him to a cell and left him there. He could hear them whispering urgently as they walked away, but the stone distorted the noise too much to catch what they were saying.

Ravi, meanwhile, found himself being pulled his feet. He'd given up - or rather refused to do as he was told - and had been waiting for nothing. But two of their captors, the strange bat-creatures, came out and grabbed him. "Where are you taking me?" Ravi demanded.

"Away from here," the bat said, and the answer so surprised him that he was inside before he thought to question.

"What about Ryan? And Blaize?" he asked. They didn't answer, no matter how he pressed the question.

Ryan was only waiting a short time before the cell was opened and he was pulled out; this time, it was a short walk before he saw another set, dragging Ravi. Things were looking up, but there was still no Blaize as they were shoved into an ornate room.

"What is your home Key?" one of the four creatures asked.

Ravi straightened up, sweeping his disheveled hair back from his face and fixing the bat-like creatures with a fierce glare. Fastidious by nature when it came to his appearance, the aristocrat was well aware that he was covered in dust and ungroomed. Add to that the silver collar itching at his neck, and his mood wasn't becoming any more tractable...

"I have no idea what you are gibbering about. We were brought here against our will, as Ryan here says. There is no way we have of knowing how to get home from here." He said with some asperity.

Meanwhile, the bat creatures were frowning; Ravi's sharp ears heard a whispered 'mentally damaged'. As the young Indian scowled at them, they turned back. "Very well," one said. "I believe we have the key for you, then. We did have to get to your world, after all." He turned to one of the others. "Go look up the key we used to get to them."

It only took a moment for the one who had left to return. The bats moved over to a circular door in the floor without saying anything. He reached down and opened a small cover, dropping a black feather within. Then he pricked a finger and dripped three drops of blood within the container. He stepped back, and bent again, but this time two others helped, and it was to pull up the circular door. "There you go," the bat thing said. "You can leave."

"Agreed." said Ravi with some emphasis, folding his arms and bringing every bit of hauteur his ancestry could lend him into play as he glowered at the bat-things. "After the way we have been treated, we would be fools to trust you. Bring the girl to us, and assure us that this is the way home, or you will receive no cooperation from us."

"... and we want these damn collars off. We're not your slaves or anybody else's. Set us free or you'll have more than the Caramons to worry about!" Ryan hoped that his threat didn't sound completely far fetched but he still wasn't sure how to say the name of the Shovat's people and he dreaded that it would make him look foolish.

"The girl cannot return," the creature said, straightening. "We will offer reparations to the Caramine, with apologies for our ignorance. The door will sent you to allies, who can help you, including with the collars. We will not remove them, for we cannot be sure you won't attack us. You will go now, or be forced out." The creatures looked resolute.

"Why can't she return?" Ravi didn't so much ask as demand. "And what 'allies' are you talking about? Are we going home or aren't we? What have you done with Blaize?" He raised his voice on the last word, taking a step towards the bat-creatures.

They think I might be crazy? Well... let's see if they want any crazy on them.

The creatures looked confused; one held up his hands. "We have returned the girl. She is home. Go find her there." He smiled, a strange twisting of his face. "We do not use just words to communicate, and things become... unclear to us. Become hard to state. The female young is home."

"She had gone already. Too weak," another said. "She is too weak to work, useless."

Ryan looked at them carefully, he didn't buy what they were selling. Something rotten in Finland ... or whatever country it was... He leaned over to Ravi, "I don't trust them. I'm pretty sure they are lying to us, but I don't know what about." He whispered as quietly as he could, hoping that these bat like creatures wouldn't be able to hear.

Click to reveal..

(14:29:34) (Ryan_Jackson): Wits 3 +Subterfuge 1 -1 aliens = 3 dice

(14:29:38) ChatBot: (Ryan_Jackson) rolls 3d10 and gets 4,9,3.

Result = 1 sux

Ravi nodded in response to Ryan without taking his eyes off the bat-creatures. "You are lying to us. You just told us not two minutes ago that Blaise could not be returned, and now you're claiming she was returned already. If you want us to go through that door, bring us the girl and one of you come with us, or we have no deal."

"You kidnapped us, and now fear the retribution of these 'Caramines'. You claim you cannot take the collars off, but you put them on us. I state that the two of you are liars." He folded his arms once more.

The batmen bristled. "We cannot take them off because you will attack us," one said, his voice angry. "We cannot because it would be dangerous for us to remove a force collar from two of the Hekzesh."

"And the girl is back home," the other said. "We do not speak well, in all words, and we thought you would understand."

"Besides, you don't have a choice," the second said, as two more came into the room, following some unseen signal to come to aid. "You will go, and go now." The newcomers were large and spoke the interdimensional language of 'bruiser'.

"Wait! We swear we won't attack you if you remove the collars. Remove them and we will go, we won't put up a fight. If you don't you'll see how hard we can fight, and you know that these things don't stop me from doing what I want to do." Ryan moved so that his back was to Ravi's and put his hands up before him in a classic defensive stance. Maybe those martial arts classes will come in handy after all.

"He's right." Ravi said, more calmly than he felt. "If you help us, we won't attack you. Why would we? We're far from home in a place that is strange to us. I don't even know what a Heksesh is. Please, remove the collars for us, and we will consider that a friendly gesture and go without troubling you any more."

He raised his hands, but in a placatory gesture, trying his best to appear sincere and non-threatening. They're scared of us. That's strange.

Click to reveal..

Presence 4 + Persuasion 2 + 2 for Striking Looks - 1 (Aliens) = 7 dice

1d10=6, 1d10=3, 1d10=6, 1d10=1, 1d10=8, 1d10=7, 1d10=6

1 Success to try and reason with the creatures.

"Heksesh. Em, whazzit... oh, yeah. The Touched. You're Touched," the creature said, looking relieved that it had found the word. "Stupid collars don't always get the Old Words right." The group was silent a moment, as if it took them a moment to remember what they were doing. "Now. Shoo. Go."

"I'll go with," one of them said. "Take off the collars on the other side, if you'll go, you'll be assured that you can get free on the other side. Yes?"

"Well, that sounds much better." Ravi smiled politely and started to move towards the doorway they had opened. "Under those conditions, I accept. Perhaps you can tell us what 'Touched' means as we travel." He glanced back at Ryan. "I think our hosts are being gracious enough, Ryan. What about you?"

If the truth needed to be told, Ravi just wanted to keep moving forwards. These creatures seemed to be nervous of he and Ryan, and under the circumstances he felt that by giving a little, they might learn more of what exactly they'd landed in.

Archived