Anateus

For those of you that keep up with new nova trivia, I'm the guy who Erupted after a plane crashed over at LAX. I also rescued a kid. She's physically fine, but I don't know what's going to happen to her. I've got a mentor who's looking into setting up a charity fund for her. So that's good.

I'm alright, and in fact I apparently am one of the healthiest novas to pop in a long time. My Node decided to focus on my health and safety exclusively while I was about to get deep-fried. So now I'm bulletproof, or close enough, but that's about it.

So, not knowing how this Node thingy works, how do I make myself not a one-trick pony? My boss Steve (six months ahead of me in the Node-pop circuit) says that he knows somebody that can help, but I was wondering if I could start doing some DIY stuff. I figured this place would know enough to help me dodge the quacks.

BTW, my standard-issue comic-book nova code name is, you guessed it, Anateus. Apparently he was a Greek giant who was invulnerable as long as he stayed planted on the ground. Ironic enough for me that I can live with it. smirk

By the way, what's the longest on record that a nova has gone without sleep? I'd like to sleep, but it's like I just don't need to anymore.

Okay, good.

Do you happen to know someone other than going to a PU clinic who can tell me what's going on? I haven't gone yet because, well, when I was 'normal' I could laugh at the paranoid rumors, but now that my head went ping, I kinda feel nervous.

Well, I went and got some tests on the company dime.

Apparently I can stop worrying about small-arms fire. Or someone setting me on fire. Or diseases. Or poisons. Or sick days, or getting drunk, or needing to sleep or even breathe for days at a time. I'm hyper-healthy, as in near the top end of the charts. I can even regenerate.

What I can't do is dorm down and take a nap, just to break up the routine. Their best nova tranquilizers couldn't cut the mustard, and anything else they've got is classified experimental neurotoxin. I'm so healthy it's beginning to drive me nuts. And when I asked them for an off-the-cuff life expectancy, they said I could conceivably outlast the sun going nova. eek I'm inclined to believe them, as they had a nova with an impressive bulge in his skull and some pioneering research in nova physiology under his belt.

So, any of you guys and gals know how to make my little M-R doohickey do something else besides keep me alive past the heat death of the universe?

Everyman here. Become an Elite. Either you will learn something really fast, or you won't have to worry about being too healthy for very long ... even if you do regenerate.

Or, you could stop bitching about how TERRIBLE it is that you have a constitution a cancer patient would kill for, or the antibodies to fight off Ebola to a person dying of it.

Next time a cop dies in the line of duty, gunned down by some punk, I'll drink a cold one in your honor about how tough you've go it.

Grow up. Grow a set. You are a Nova for Fuck's sake.

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
Everyman here. Become an Elite. Either you will learn something really fast, or you won't have to worry about being too healthy for very long ... even if you do regenerate.

Or, you could stop bitching about how TERRIBLE it is that you have a constitution a cancer patient would kill for, or the antibodies to fight off Ebola to a person dying of it.

Next time a cop dies in the line of duty, gunned down by some punk, I'll drink a cold one in your honor about how tough you've go it.

Grow up. Grow a set. You are a Nova for Fuck's sake.

Considering that I saved an infant from the wreckage of a plane crash in the first fucking seconds of my fucking Eruption, I'll take your suggestion that I run around and kill people for profit under advisement.

Oh, no wait, I won't. I won't because I'm under contractual servitude to a multinational corporation that won't allow me to engage in "unethical activities" (without their express permission), and yet have signed me up to run some tests on me, as soon as they find a needle that can penetrate my skin.

All I'm asking for (not whining, fuck you very much)is if anyone knows some DIY node-training that will allow me to find the fucking off-switch, so I can sleep and get drunk again, or maybe teach it to do some other tricks. Maybe I'd also like to fly, or teleport, or grow a hyperbrain, maybe get myself on the corporate fast-track, or hell, maybe learn to sing. Just so I have something to fucking DO until the sun goes out. From what I know, most novas have a sort of "theme" they go by, and I'd rather not get stuck with "is kind of just there...forever."

Shit. Sorry about that. I'm trying to work on keeping my cool, I swear.

It's just that...no one ever really believes they're going to die, unless the issue is really, really brought to their attention, right? But now, I've just been told that I have to worry about the exact opposite: watching everything around me change and die while I'm...pretty much what I am now. And I can't even sleep to break up the routine, so I've felt EVERY. FUCKING. MINUTE. of the last three days, one of which was filled up with the most intrusive set of exams I've ever had in my life. I can't sleep, and I can't drink or drug off the memory. So it's to be expected that I might not be a happy camper right now, okay?

Also, if novas aren't allowed to bitch and vent here, where are they allowed to bitch and vent? Just curious.

Don't mind Everyman. He's just grumpy ... all the time.

The principle of what you are talking about is called Dormancy. It is a technique that 98% of novas can learn. It is conciously reducing your quantum flow through your node until you can no longer sustain you quantum expressions. You revert, in most ways, to your pre-eruption self. Some of your inherent resistance to diseases and your life span are not effected (as far as current studies would have us believe).

You should be able to drink like a fish (and get drunk) and be physically required to sleep.

I can PM you the Net addresses of a few expert trainers. Mileage will vary.

Doctor Aeon:

So, in fact you can learn to teach your Node to behave? It isn't something you either Erupt with or don't?

smile Whew!

Okay, then maybe I should go to that "nova coping center" that my company hooked up with. It's supposed to deal with some of the stuff I have questions with, but the brochure just screamed "Snake oil!" to me when I read it. The OpSite wasn't any better. But that was when I believed that the node was locked in during Eruption.

Gonna try to focus on shutting down now, instead of sleeping. See what happens.

Holy shit! Just slept for the first time since before popping! It was weird; I was talking with Broken Sunlight (I think), and suddenly, it was like all that freaking out I did over the plane crash and work and my ex-marriage just drained away.

I just woke up. It was only for a few hours, but...I feel so much better now. Cool.

Archived