Aberrant: Dead Rising - A Moment of Quiet [Complete]

Jasmine Gentian

(This fic takes place after "Evening Distractions" but before "Taking Counsel")

Jasmine made her way down the club's stairs, with a yawn. She had been up later than she intended last night with Jim and Jules, and had ended up sleeping in the next morning. She had told the guys she'd be out again today to help with the wall, but she hadn't given them a time, so she had decided to take a few minutes to herself this morning, and grab some breakfast. She had dressed simply, in a red tank top and the looser-fitting jeans that she liked to work in. She had run through the wash last night, along with her other dirty clothes, after getting back from Jim's impromptu bar.

She dug around in the kitchen, looking for something to eat. There was a lot of pre-packaged stuff, like Pop-Tarts and cereal, and she eventually grabbed a package of ready-mix pancake batter that just required some water, and a little shaking and you could pour out he batter from the container it came in. She dug around in the cabinets a little bit, looking for a frying pan and some oil or spray or something. Pancakes were nasty left over, so maybe she'd cook up the whole batch, leave enough for Violet and the rest of the inhabitants of the club, and then take the leftovers out to the guys, if there were any.

She filled the jug with the required amount of water, and began to give it a firm few shakes, still rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

Violet wasn't expecting someone downstairs and quickly tied the silk kimono around her waist which still barely covered her body. She had woken up suddenly and wanted to get a glass of water and maybe make some breakfast for James.

Jas had most likely already heard her and she wrapped the kimono closer around her body attempting to cover herself more than the fabric managed alone. "Jas? Can I help you with something?"

Violet smiled at the young woman while she shuffled with one hand through her hair which quickly changed its color from her platinum blonde to an deep auburn red color. "Like it?"

Jasmine glanced up as Violet descended the stairs, wrapped in a silk kimono. She smiled a little at the transformation, and laughed.

"It looks great. Different. And I'll bet you don't get split ends from doing it too much, either."

Jasmine grinned at her, and shook her head to her question. She held up the yellow plastic jug of Bisquick pancake mix sheepishly.

"No, I just.. well, I was going to head out in a little while, to help work on the wall. I figured I'd make breakfast, and leave it for you guys when you woke up. I hope you don't mind."

Violet shuffled her hair just bit more and it got a natural cascading look which yet again accentuated both her beauty and sex appeal.

"I thought if people already think of me I'm a witch I could also look like one.", her voice had a jokingly ring to it but underneath Jas could tell that something bothered her.

Smiling at the younger woman Violet let Jas prepare breakfast. She didn't want to change her plans. "So you're staying a little while before you go?", Violet sighed and looked back to the large stage and the interior of the club. It was as good as finished and she knew she could open it officially if she wanted to. She still lacked staff though.

"I was wondering if you'd be interested in working at my place? I'm not talking about an exotic dance - although that was my first idea when I met you before I realized how old you are and I apologize for that. I'm sorry to have taken advantage of your situation I really only wanted to help.", the curvaceous woman sat on one of the bar stools and crossed her legs while she leaned with the top half of her body - which was mostly her breasts - on the bar. Even now as she tried to be casual she moved in an alluring way. Her hair caressed her body like a lovers hands and the display of her cleavage was bordering on scandalization.

Jasmine glanced back at Violet, and she hesitated for a moment. Violet saw a flicker of concern cross Jasmine's face, and she was quiet for a moment. Violet reached out to touch the girl's emotions, afraid that she had inspired some sort of disgust, or revulsion.. but what she felt instead was like a thrumming chord of concern, and perhaps a little fear. Jasmine glanced back up at Violet, and smiled jokingly.

"Believe me, even if I was legal, I've never danced a day in my life, and I don't think I'd be very good at it. At least, I wasn't all that hot at it when I was hanging out at my best friend's house when I was fourteen, and we were trying to be like Beyonce, or some stupid crap like that."

She grinned a little at Violet, trying to soften her next words with the joke.

"And I'd probably be happy to help you out around the bar, Violet. But.. I did want to talk to you about that a little.. if you don't mind."

"Well.."

Jasmine picked up the bottle of cooking oil she had found, and poured a little bit into the hot skillet. It began to sizzle lightly, and after a moment, she poured a pancakes into the skillet, watching as they began to sizzle and bubble slightly.

"Things seemed like they were a bit.. tense, around here. So, I thought I'd give you and James.. and the other girls.. some privacy, and make myself useful. So I've spent the last several days out in the refuge, helping out the guys who are building the wall. And last night I had an opportunity to talk to Jules, and Jim.. he made it back from Kansas with Priest a few days ago. And.. well, I think there are some things you might want to consider.. with the club."

She bit her lip and watched Violet, waiting for a reaction. She didn't want Violet to think she was trying to tell her what to do.. but at the same time, she was afraid for this gentle woman she was starting to think of as more than just a friend. Violet had treated her more like her own family than anyone she'd ever met.. and because of that, she wanted to make sure that she was going into this club endeavor with eyes wide open.

Violet gave Jas a scrutinizing look without appearing prejudiced or upset.

"Why don't you tell me what's on your mind, Jas? I can't read your thoughts but I sure know how you feel.", Violet took another breath and sighed. It was as if she mirrored Jas' emotion - like something was on her mind that she wanted to talk about instead vice versa.

"And I'm not manipulating you right now, honestly. I'm just sitting here.", she smiled at Jas but that sentence sounded more like a defence.

Jasmine turned, and looked at he quizzically for a moment, then shook her head.

"I didn't think you were, V." She sighed a little, and looked at Violet, straight in the face. "Look.. I know I haven't been here very long, but I can tell that things around here are kind of tense.. You know, between the more normal people, and people like us. I noticed when I first got out there and started working, people didn't like me very much. And.. I don't think that's something we can entirely blame them for. It's.. an instinctive response, more than anything. I think everyone's afraid right now, Violet. I know I am.. and I know you are. But they are too.. although now, in this place, I think that what they're more afraid of than zombies - because they don't have to face them now, behind the safety of a fence - is getting left behind."

She sighed, and waved a hand impatiently.

"I'm sorry, I'm not very good at this.. I'm trying to tell you what I think might be a good idea.. about the club, that is. If you want to know. If not.. you know what, it's your club, honey. Tell me to go to hell if you want. I'm just.. trying to help out, I guess. And help you, whether I'm doing a very good job of sounding like it or not."

Violet got off the bar stool and walked around to stand next to Jasmine. She reached out for her hand and took it gently squeezing it tightly before she answered.

"I'd never tell you to go to Hell, Jas. I know people are afraid. I know they are more afraid of me because the way I am.", she stepped back a little to give Jas a better look at her body for emphasis. If Violet was not the embodiment of beauty and sexappeal she could be very intimidating for 'normals' causing all kinds of strange reactions from lust to envy and even fear. The other 'supers' seemed less affected by her which was a good thing in her book.

"If this was your place Jas, what would you do with it?", she tried to give Jas as much confidence as possible to speak her mind without restraint.

Jas looked at her, and thought about it for a moment. She'd been thinking about it for a lot of last night after she'd gotten back, and she pretty much knew what she wanted to say to that. But she wanted to make sure she said it right, that she'd be able to make Violet understand what she thought needed to happen around here to make everything a little more.. peaceful.

"Well.. I think the first thing I'd do is cater it to everyone, as much as possible. People work hard around here.. men and women, all day long. And I think everyone should have a little time to enjoy themselves. I think I'd run this place as a regular bar and hang-out spot most nights. Maybe post up some fliers that you're looking for performers - not dancers, like people are going to think, but if someone likes to play an instrument, or sing. I'm sure we can find some of those items, and they can do a lot for moral. Who the hell knows.. maybe there's someone here who knows how to play the piano? Maybe we could find a keyboard, or hook up some kind of speaker system. I think I'd have a jukebox so that on some nights, people could just play what they wanted to hear. I think, since I had supers who were willing to keep me stocked, that I'd probably serve drinks for free, just because there's no getting paid around here - everything that we're doing, we're doing to better this place, at least for now."

She took a deep breath - she had gotten used to NOT breathing sometimes, but talking still took breath. But she'd gotten her nerve up now, and so she kept going, rattling off the list she'd come up with in her head that could help ease tensions around here.

"I think I'd ask Joanna to dress up in something a little less sexy sometimes, and put on a magic show for kids, and families, and people who want some wholesome fun. And I think that maybe I'd still have a night a week for the men, a little bit later in the evening, where they could come and watch a few ladies dance, if they wanted.. and maybe more, though that would be up to the ladies. Above all, I think I'd find a few more people who were willing to work here pretty often - people like me, but normal people too - and open up some of those upstairs rooms to those people. Not only would that give them a place to stay, but it would open up some of the more permanent housing - even if it's just a few people - for those people who are still sleeping out there in tents."

She drew in another deep breath, and let it out slowly, looking at Violet sincerely.

"And I think, if I did that.. and meant it.. and you could tell.. then maybe people wouldn't feel like I was getting so much more than them.. just through some sort of luck of the divine draw. Maybe they'd start thinking of me as an asset, as someone who is doing something with the gifts I'd been given to help those around me who haven't been so lucky.. instead of being afraid of me, and what I'm capable of.. you know what I mean?"

Violet nodded as Jas spoke. Some of it had come to her, too. When she started establishing this place she was different and her reasons were far more selfish. But that had changed and with it her desire shifted a bit to make this something less exclusive and more accessible for the community.

"I agree with you Jas. I'm so sorry that people are prejudiced because I invited you to stay here and live with us. The sisters and James just moved in a few days ago because I got more space and more luxury to provide.", it felt good talking to Jas openly about this. Maybe Jas could help her make the right changes and turn the club into something that would cause less tension in the community?

"I don't want to give anymore cause or reason for trouble and arguments than necessary Jas. It's not like I can avoid it because I'd have to stop being me which I can't. I'm tired of having to apologize because of who I am or how I look. People are going to be jealous - that's a fact of live which I can't change. I'm better off than most people around here - even than most other supers but I'm not hoarding my 'wealth' and protect it like a dragon either. I'm sharing as good as I can without giving that private space that I need. What do you think would happen if I lived in those tents?", Violet left that to Jas' imagination but both women knew that this was not an option for Violet - maybe for Jennifer but that's something Violet didn't want to consider anymore.

"Tell you something, Jas. I'd make you the 'General Manager' of the club if you want. Change things like you feel is necessary to reduce the tension but keep in mind that I need those rooms upstairs. It's the only place I can hide. I can't give up that. I'm sure the others won't mind that much as long as they can keep their privileges. What do you say?"

Jasmine blinked, startled at the words that had come out of the woman's mouth. She'd only meant to offer some suggestions for Violet, help her with some of it if possible. Then she squeezed Violet's hand that had been holding hers, and gave her a hug.

"I knew you'd understand. Look - I think it's important that YOU still be considered the manager of this place, the person who's calling the shots. Because you are - it's your place, Vi, you built it, you got the materials for it, and you're running the show. If you like my suggestions, that's great.. and I'll be more than happy to help you implement them if that's what you want. I think I should be like your assistant. And I can help you with security around the place too, me and James can kind of alternate with that, you know?"

She pulled back from the hug, looking at V, and smiled happily at her. She knew that they could help out here, they just had to get the word out about the changes they were planning on.

"How does that sound? I think as soon as I get back from Dallas, we should start looking for a bartender, and a couple girls to wait tables. We want to make it fair. And.. here's an idea.. why don't we make some modifications to the upstairs? Right now, it's kind of one big area, you know, and you have the two big rooms that you and the girls and James are staying in, and you haven't finished building up the rest yet, other than that room on the other side you gave me. We could build you guys a small living area, and block that whole section off like a suite, maybe. And then we could build two or three more smaller rooms on that other side side, I'd help you out if you want. I don't know much about architecture or anything, but I know a little about how walls go together. My Dad was an electrician, and he built the add-on to our house. I learned a bit from him, you know? I'll bring back a couple books, if I can, when I go to Dallas. You could house a couple girls and whoever you hire on as a bartender on that side, maybe.. as kind of payment for working here, you know? And then you'd still have your own personal suite and private space on the other side, locked and protected. Maybe we'll try and figure out a way to insulate the walls a little too, you know.. for a bit more.. privacy. For you, and the others.."

Jasmine trailed off a little, and her cheeks turned a dusty rose in color. No doubt the girl had heard the screams the other night from when Violet and James had been practicing their little "sex magic" ritual..

Violet's face brightened up with a smile that even melted Jasmine's heart - if she swinged that way. "Assisstant would be fine, too. I really want to contribute but it's almost impossible for me to go outside and talk to people without having things go in one specific way. With your help this could actually work out.", Violet got silent suddenly and bit her lip taking both hands of Jasmine into hers squeezing them again.

"Can you keep a secret? I mean just for a little while?", Violet waited for a brief moment and took Jasmine's silence for approval.

"I'm going to have children with James! - I'm not pregnant, yet. I can control it and I hope people won't think of me so badly anymore if I was one of the first to bear new children to this society. I'm not sure about the timing though. Beltane would be a good opportunity and it's not too far away, what do you think?", Violet almost beamed with joy.

Being so close to Jasmine she could smell her scent and it did carry her away a little as she imagined kissing her. The atmosphere suddenly electrified around them and Violet gasped as she tried to shake off the image. Her body had subconsciously moved closer to Jas and she was close enough if she wanted to.

Jasmine paused for a moment, the dusky tint in her cheeks becoming a little deeper. Her breath hitched for a moment, and she stared at Violet. The surge of emotion overwhelmed her, and oddly, the emotion reminded her a little of how she felt when Jim had been holding her up against him yesterday, demonstrating his Krav Maga moves.. she shook her head slightly, and laughed a little, swallowing nervously.

It's just like I said yesterday.. I really *don't* think she can help it..

"Violet, you know you can knock people off their feet without batting an eyelash, right? And I don't even swing that way, honey.. at least, I'm pretty sure I don't."

She laughed a little again, and kissed Violet's cheek, trying not to picture anything further than that. The idea turned her on, but made her a little uncomfortable too.

"You've got enough relationship issues, so don't worry, I'm not gonna throw myself all over you and complicate the situation further.. but I can see why it's difficult for you go interact, or be around others sometimes. Maybe we'll see if we can do something about that to make it easier for you too.. but that's for later. Oh, shit!"

She grabbed the spatula, and flipped the pancakes, noting their dark, almost black crust with a sigh of annoyance. She proceeded to keep cooking, and she continued talking as she did, pulling those pancakes when they were done out of the skillet, and pouring a couple more, trying to pay better attention to them this time.

"I think the thing with James is great honey, if that's what you want to do.. and you might be right. I don't know what Beltane is, or what you mean by it, but you'd probably look like some sort of Mother Earth goddess if you were pregnant.. all full of life, and fertility, and that sort of thing.." She laughed a little, then looked at Violet seriously. "You sure you want to do that so soon, though? I mean, I know I just got here, but.. haven't you only known James a couple weeks or somethin' like that? Maybe you should make sure everything is ready, and okay with you guys, and that you know for sure that's what you want to do. Havin' a baby in this day and age is probably even more of a commitment than it used you be.. you know?"

“Beltane is the Wiccan Celebration of life. It’s kinda like their new year’s eve. I don’t know much more than that – it’s about fertility and love – unconditional love. Everything is fair game on Beltane.”, she winked at Jas pulling back from her reluctantly. She was struggling with her desires and it showed on her body as her nipples poked through the thin silken fabric of the kimono.

Violet realized what was going on as Jas’ words slowly sinked in. The young woman had dealt with it fairly well and spared Violet any further embarrassment. Quietly she thanked Jas for keeping the distance necessary to keep their relationship sister-like. She would’ve hated breaching this which has become very precious to her although her desires constantly pushed her to the limit.

Violet rewrapped the kimono around her body and backed off from Jasmine knowing that physical distance helped a lot to keep her emotions at bay. She reclaimed her bar stool and sighed briefly before she continued, “I know what you mean, Jas. You may call me crazy but James and I have just found to each other recently. It’s not longer ago than a week or two. Everything has changed after Z-Day and I don’t think we’ve got the time to see if ‘things work out’ or not. Don’t forget that I can sense what he feels for me. I can tell the difference of every ‘I love you’ he says. Sometimes he loves fucking me, sometimes it’s genuinely ‘true’ love. Most of the time he really means the latter and I don’t care the times he just wants to have a good fuck. I’m all about a good fuck.”, she giggled and winked at Jas again. Even that casual gesture had a lot of a seductive undercurrent. Was she flirting with Jas without noticing it?

“I love him, Jas. That’s all what counts for me. Is he the perfect partner? Who knows? Right now he is the best partner I can imagine and I’m sure he’ll be a good father. He protects me and the sisters and cares for us. What more can I expect nowadays? There is little I want more – he keeps me satisfied and that’s more important than you can imagine, Jas.”

Jasmine shrugged slightly, and smiled at Violet, placing the two pancakes she had just finished cooking on a plate and sliding it to her, along the with syrup she had pulled out earlier.

"Here.. breakfast."

She poured a couple more for herself, and continued to monitor them, and tucked a strand of hair behind her hair to keep it away from the batter.

"Well, it's your decision, hon - and I can understand your sense of urgency. Everything feels so much more.. hurried, after Z-Day. I'm just saying.. it's best to go into a situation with eyes wide open. And if something happens between you and James, or.. to James, you know? I mean, he's tough, but we've seen that he's not industructable.. are you gonna be ready to take care of a baby on your own? Are you going to be prepared for that - emotionally, I mean? Are the girls going to be willing to hang around and help you take care of a baby, if the three of you didn't have James anymore? Or.. do you think he's what's holding you together?"

She sighed a little, and scooped the new pancakes out onto a plate for herself, pouring some syrup on them and forking into them while she started cooking the rest of the batter for the others in the building.

"I'm sorry.. I don't mean to be a drag. I just.. want to make sure you've thought all this stuff through. Having a baby isn't something you can ever take back, if things go bad. And in this world.. things are very likely to go bad. I'm not saying that we should give up or anything.. just that we should take that extra second or two to think, before we act on impulse. This is the kind of world where impulses can get us - and those around us - killed."

Violet got very quiet suddenly as she looked past Jas and stared into the distance as she spoke, “If James dies I die, too. He’s all I got and until recently I had no real drive in live except for getting a good lay. I thought if everything went to hell I might as well enjoy myself as long as I have the chance to. I’ve changed a lot in the last days – especially after what happened at Elijah’s.”

Her eyes refocused on Jas and almost sparkled with an unearthly beautiful intensity, “Everyone needs a purpose to go on, Jas. I thought about this a lot since I’ve met James and the sisters. He is very determined and seeks to repopulate the earth. I don’t believe in coincidence anymore and I believe there is a reason for all this. I’m his perfect mate and like you mentioned earlier – I do look like a Goddess of fertility and beauty – why shouldn’t I use that? I mean all other supers use their powers to help. It’s a natural thing and there must be a reason why I’m different. There must be a reason for me to fit in and not be completely useless. Because if not, I’m just a waste of time and resources.”

Jasmine watched Violet for a moment, drawn into her beauty and unnatural, hypnotic charm. Then she closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, letting it out slowly. She opened her eyes, and looked into Violet's, and the gaze she turned on her didn't look like that of a seventeen-year old girl at all. It was that of a woman who had seen far too much of the brutal, miserable side of life, long before Z-Day happened.

"Look, honey. The first thing you need to do is shut the hell up about being useless. That's a matter of perspective, and I don't care how big your bra size is, everybody has a use. God wouldn't have let you live if you didn't. And maybe you're right, and that's it. But I'm gonna tell you this, and I'm only gonna tell you this once. And I sure the hell hope you consider it good and long before you make any rash decisions. Once you get pregnant, it's not about you any more, and it's sure the hell not about James. It's about that baby. Your responsibility in life boils down to that child. My parents loved each other more than anyone I've ever known in my life. I wanted that - I still do, one of these days. Maybe. If the world doesn't end first. But I'll tell you this - if something had happened to my Daddy, my Momma woulda cried her eyes out. And then she would've kept goin'. She woulda kept takin' me to the hospital.. cause if she hadn't, I woulda died from cancer a hell of a long time ago. She woulda kept draggin' her ass outta bed the next morning, and fixed me breakfast, cause that's what parents do. Good parents. And until you can look me in the eye and tell me that if James goes out tomorrow and blows himself up on a damned roof or gets himself killed by a zombie mob or a crazy cultist, then you'll be able to carry on for that baby, I don't recommend you have one. As long as you can look me in the eye and tell me - honestly - that if James dies, you die.. well, you're not ready to be a parent yet, Violet. Not any more than those ghetto crack whores my parents worked so hard to get us away from, who popped out a kid cause they thought it would keep their skanky ass boyfriend with them. Then when he ditched them, she bought drugs with her welfare and sat around her damned house escaping reality, while her kid turned into a little hoodlum, just like their daddy. And while you're at it, you might want to make sure James actually gives a shit about being a father.. not just proving his virility."

Jasmine took in another deep breath, and let it out again. She brusquely picked up the spatula, pulled out the pancakes, and poured a couple more, her lips pressed firmly together. She blinked furiously a couple of times to suppress the tears she could feel welling up at the thought of her parents. There was no time for crying anymore. After a moment that didn't work, and she reached up to push away the tear that had streaked down her cheek.

“I’m not a ghetto crack whore.”, Violet said with much hurt in her voice.

“How dare you?”, she stood up and started crying.

“I’d never abandon my children! How can you be so cruel and accuse me of such horrible things? All I’ve done since I’ve changed was trying to help and everyone hates me because of that. You have no right to say such things, Jas!”, Violet screamed back at Jasmine.

Even in her anger and pain Violet’s beauty shone through and it almost made Jasmine think twice about her next move. How could she hurt someone like her? Someone who took her in without prejudice and helped her without asking anything in return?

Violet cupped her hands wiping away the tears she shed her voice barely a whisper, “How dare you?”

Jasmine looked at Violet for a moment, and under the woman's gaze, her anger and resolve seemed to wilt. She didn't have the will to match Violet's emotional outburst, and when she finally spoke, her voice was quiet, almost a whisper.

"I didn't call you any of those things, Violet. You asked me for my opinion.. and I gave it to you. In one breath, you told me you wanted to have a baby, and in the next, you told me you'd die if anything happened to James. I told you that I think you need to make sure that you're emotionally ready to handle having the responsibility of a baby if that occurred.. cause it's a very real possibility, Violet. You're like a wife who's sending her husband off to war. You have to be prepared for what comes afterward. I just wanted you to think about that, before you took on the responsibility of bringing another life into the world. You'll have to forgive me.. my mother was a nurse. I've heard about a lot of babies brought into the world without a thought beyond how cute they'd look in their little booties."

Her voice trembled slightly as she spoke, and then she quietly took the last of the pancakes off of the burner, and turned it off, placing them on a plate. Her hands were shaking slightly from the emotional onslaught.

"These are for James, and the girls. I think I should go work on the wall now. I'll.. I'll move my things out of here when I get back, if you want. I can stay with the rest of the refuges."

Violet shook her head violently, "No, Jas! I don't want you to go. I... overreacted. Please don't go.", she was still wiping away tears. She saw it all crumble before her eyes and she felt her impotence. This was her worst nightmare, yet.

"Please, don't leave Jasmine - I need you, don't you understand?"

Her voice was pleading and she wished Jasmine would understand how important she was for her. Violet's eyes spoke volumes - a mixture of sadness, pain, hope and love.

Jasmine's expression melted, and she walked over to Violet, reaching up and brushing the tears away from her face briskly, but not without feeling.

She really is an emotional thing, isn't she? I think that must be part of it.. it's not just the sex.. it's all of it. Anger, and passion, and love.

"Alright, Violet.. calm down, honey. I won't go anywhere - I just thought.. well, it doesn't matter. And I think I do understand."

She brushed some of Violet's newly-red hair back from her face, and cupped her cheek gently. In some ways, it made Violet feel like someone's little sister, even though Jasmine was younger than she was.

"And I'm sorry I spoke so harshly.. I won't lie, I'm not good at inspiring people, like the Captain, or at making people feel better, the way they do when you speak with them. It's not.. who I am. When someone asks me something, especially someone I care about.. well, I was raised that if you love someone, you're honest with them. And I guess that's all I was trying to do. I'm not very good at mincing my words.. but that doesn't mean that I'm doing it to be mean. I just want to make sure.. I don't know. I guess that I want to make sure you're okay enough with your own emotions, before you start working on molding a kid's, you know? I mean.. you hate being Jennifer so much.. what happens if you get so exhausted from giving birth that when you hold that baby for the first time, it's as Jennifer, instead of as Violet? You gonna be okay with that? Jennifer's a part of you too, V.. and you need to be okay with all of you, before starting to work on somebody else. And not only that, but pregnancy is a big thing for your body.. even when it's doing the right stuff, it makes your emotions go nuts. And yours are riding pretty high as it is.. you know?"

Jasmine bit her lip, hoping that wouldn't set off another wave of anger. She felt only concern for the woman who had been so kind to her, and a vague sense of worry and fear for both her and whatever child she might choose to bring into the world.

Violet embraced Jasmine and held her as long as she allowed it. Physical contact had an dramatic effect on her and it did a lot to calm her down.

When Jas let go and held her face in her hands she sighed with relief. Violet put her hands on Jas' hips as they were close to eachother and listened carefully to her words.

"I will talk with Dr. Shattuck first and get her advice. I wanted her to give me a full exam anyway. If she says that I shouldn't do this then I'll wait.", Violet sighed again.

"What am I supposed to do, Jas? I can't stay here for the rest of my days and wait for you to rebuilt our world. I need to contribute - I need to do something that earns me some respect because what I've been doing till now has only caused tension and frustration. I never wanted that."

Jasmine nodded slightly, hugging Violet back for as long as the red-haired beauty seemed to need, then she looked at Violet, and smiled gently at her.

"Get your exam.. take some time.. think it over. I never said you shouldn't do what you want to do.. only that you should take the time to make sure you're truly ready. And in the meantime, we'll work on the club, Violet. We'll try to make a place for people to be able to relax a little, and be happy. It's as good of a start as any. And after that.. who knows? You'll find something to do in this new, freaky world of ours, honey. The fact that you want to help is a damned good start."

Then Jasmine's eyes gleamed a little mischievously, and she grinned at Violet, her tone obviously teasing, and not at all serious.

"And in the meantime, if you wanna feel useful, I suppose we could get you dressed up in a pair Jill's jeans, and one of James' work shirts to hide that sultry figure of yours a little, and you could go out and help me pour concrete, or go help some of the women with the farming.."

"Hide?", Violet asked and pouted.

"But what if I break a nail or sprain my ankle?", she said in a squeaky girly voice. Smiling mischieviously back she quickly added, "I'm just kidding."

Jasmine's idea had brought a smile back on Violet's face and the sun literally rose as Violet faintly started to glow. "I'll be right back, I'm trying to find something to 'cover up'. I'll tell the girls that you made breakfast."

Violet didn't take that long but when she came back she had one of Jill's jeans on and an extra large T-shirt from James. It still had trouble hiding her huge breasts but it was better than showing cleavage like she usually did.

"Do you think this looks ok?", Violet asked as she made a small pirouette on one foot. She still looked like she rather belonged in a men's magazine but it was far better than what she usually wore which was next to nothing.

Jasmine put her hands on her hips and looked Violet over, grinning.

"I'd have to say you looked downright respectable. Are you actually going to come with me? I was just joking, but honestly, if you're willing to, and - I won't lie, you might have to put up with a little teasing - it might do quite a bit to improve your reputation around here, girl."

“I want to help and I feel better when you are around. I wouldn’t do it alone – I’m too scared to go out in the public in this community all on my own. Last time I did that it ended in a fist fight and near rape of Jules. I won’t leave this club unless I’m in company.”, there was a hint of sadness in her eyes about that fact but she did also look forward to spent some time with her ‘little’ sister.

“We’ll have to be careful with the teasing part – it can cause a lot of trouble – unwanted trouble if you’re not prepared for it. I do enjoy it most of the time, not the trouble, but the feeling of being wanted and desired thrills me. Just make sure to call me back, I get carried away too fast if I don’t focus. There’s not much I can do against it, it’s like I’m wired to it.”, Violet smiled at Jasmine and reached out with an arm for her expecting her to lead them outside and to the construction site.

“Lets go, honey.”

Jasmine nodded at Violet, and grinned at her.

"Okay.. best we avoid that altogether, then, if we can. As much as the feeling of being wanted might feel thrilling, let's just try and remember that today, it's not about that - it's about getting people to realize that we're all on the same side. And don't worry.. I'll keep an eye out for you, and make sure you're in check. I seem to be pretty good at it, for some reason."

Jasmine laughed softly, and led Violet outside, closing the door behind them quietly.

The sight that met Jasmine and Violet when they arrived at the building site was unexpected to say the least. Even the regular workers were somewhat astonished at the sight of Priest and Willy hard at work lugging bags of cement mix and getting the stuff mixed and ready to pour. Sarah, Priest's ever-present daughter, was getting involved, running water to the workers in between stirring the aggregate evenly with a wooden paddle.

Jasmine's attention was drawn to one side, where a familiar glint of gold caught her eye. She couldn't help but smile a little as sure enough, there was Jim, gun harness re-configured to sit around his lean hips and, of more immediately import, shirtless in the morning sunshine as he balanced like a cat atop the form for setting the poured concrete, helping to pour the mixture evenly into the mold whilst chatting casually with the foreman as though they were old friends.

Priest's body glistened in the early morning sunlight. His shirt was off and now poeple could see how well he was ripped. they could also see the scars on his stomach and chest, but somehow he made even these look good. As impressive as that was (well not all that impressive considering the titans around him), Priest was strong, really strong.

He was also armed, as was Sarah. No one went around unarmed unless they were a 'super', or had a death wish. Most of the ones with death wishes were gone now.

It was a hell of a day so far he thought and his senses were on overdrive. If something was to go wrong, he wanted to be on top of this. No more Elijah's.

Jasmine and Violet stopped for a moment, surprise written on Jasmine's face as she took in the scene laid out before them.

Well.. that was unexpected.

Her eyes lingered, in particular, on the handsome Brit perched atop the wall's support. She couldn't help it, the sun glinted off the gold trim on his guns, drawing her gaze back to him. Her eyes lingered on his shirtless chest for a long moment, unable to glance away. Her cheeks flushed a faint dusky rose color in the morning sun, and she cleared her throat a little self-consciously, murmuring at Violet.

"Well.. this is good. More supers helping means stuff gets done faster.. and hopefully it'll help stem off any potentially complicated situations.."

She hoped the right words were coming out of her mouth, but her mind didn't seem to be entirely on quite that noble of a topic.

Violet was unusually nervous as they approached the building site. She knew Jasmine would be there for her if something went south but still insecurity nagged at her. Her eyes settled first on Priest whom she recognised from the distance. She was afraid approaching him in particular since she wasn’t sure how their status quo was. Where they friends? Allies? Or just did he just tolerate her because there was no other choice except leaving?

Priest sure was a handsome man and Violet could imagine very well how his hands would caress her body if they found a nice private place. She had to physically shake off that image by closing her eyes and squeezing Jasmine’s hand but Jas seemed distracted, too.

A bit alert she followed Jas’ eyes and gasped briefly when her eyes found the handsome Brit who looked very much like Daniel Craig. Daniel?, a brief flashback of a party way back before Z-Day made her stop abruptly. It was an after-show party from the Oscar’s ’06 – he was totally unlike she had expected. Knowing him mostly from the Bond-movie she’d expected him to be… less shy. Violet almost waved at him trying to catch his attention when she realized that he could never recognize her now. Jennifer and Violet had nothing in common appearance-wise. They were like two completely different persons.

Now that was an awkward situation and somehow Daniel looked far more impressive then she remembered. Violet suddenly wasn’t so sure if tagging along to help was a good idea. She did wanted to help but it would be harder for her to keep her urges under control then the physical labour they were looking at. The unearthly beautiful woman forced her eyes off the handsome Brit and tried to catch Jasmine’s attention but the girl was somewhere else with her mind. Violet didn’t need to use her powers to know what was going on. It looked like both women had to look after each other now.

Gathering her courage and focusing on their goal Violet moved closer to the site and waved at the men. “I hope you guys don’t mind if we helped you out?”, Violet’s voice carried the promise of sexual satisfaction leaving her ‘offer’ to ‘help out’ to a lot of interpretation. Even with the baggier clothes she borrowed from Jill and James her voluptuous figure was evident and she flaunted it subconsciously.

Jasmine shook off her distraction, and moved forward with Violet, giving an acknowledging greeting to the two supers before turning to the guy who was in charge of the work crew for the wall.

"Hey, Mark - I hope you don't mind, I brought along an extra set of hands today. Where would you like Violet and I to start?"

Mark had been gaping at Violet for a minute, as was to be expected, but Jas's business-like tone brought him out of his reverie.

"Oh, sure.. thanks, honey. Why don't you two move a little further down the line, and help out the guys working on the next set of framing? Seems like we have more than a little extra help today, so we should be able to get a lot done, and you girls could help get the next set of wall ready to pour into. Jas, you've been helping for a few days now, you'll do fine. Have, um.. Have Miss Violet here help you out."

Jasmine nodded, and motioned to Violet.

"C'mon.. let's move down a little further." Jasmine's voice dropped a little, so that only Violet could hear it. "Less distractions that way anyway."

Jo lead James to a spot a bit away from Mark and the crew and the two of them "surveyed" the work... perhaps indecisively. James was wearing sunglasses and baseball cap. JoAnna was wearing a cleavage showing shirt with flowing sleeves, and although not quite the distraction Violet was the both of them attracted attention.

Finally Mark called out, "So are you going to join us or keep watch all day?"

Jo whispered something and James walked forward six paces and then stopped. James said, "Hey, I love work. I used to be able to watch it all day. Keeping in mind that I can't see what I'm doing and I'm as strong as a forklift, I'm yours for the day."

Someone close to the wall replied in what might have been a joke, "You're not the one I want."

James replied, "Yep, but I'm the one available. What do you think? Any work for the blind man?"

"James, how's your spatial perception? Can you follow voices and the sound of various kind of work?"

"If you can, come over here. My daughter will guide your hands to the loads of bricks pick them up and let her push you along to were they need to go, Mr. Forklift."

James can here comeone light come over.

"Here you go," says Sarah to Joanna. "I think they guys would rather be getting their tools and water from someone like you," her grin mischevious.

Turning to James again,

"Is it true you blew out your eyes when you tried to kill my Dad? How cool was that?"

Originally Posted By: Priest

Turning to James again,
"Is it true you blew out your eyes when you tried to kill my Dad? How cool was that?"

Violet caught up on that remark and stepped forward looking at Sarah.

"Wait a minute. No one tried to kill anyone here on purpose. It was an accident. Who told you James did that intentionally to get your father killed?", then she looked at Priest.

"Did you tell her that James tried to kill you intentionally? Are we talking murder? Are you out of your fucking mind?", she pointed a finger accusingly at him.

"V, he cleary did something totally stupid KNOWNING what I can do. Yes, I consider that intentional. Yes, I nearly died. So yes, I consider that attempted murder."

His voice remains calm while he counts off his points.

Sarah looks somewhat confused. She looks up cleary awed by all that is Violet.

"He can see through time, ya know," she whispers. "He's bad ass like that."

"What can you do ... and can I be like you when I grow up? Please."

"James, how's your spatial perception? Can you follow voices and the sound of various kind of work?"

"If you can, come over here. My daughter will guide your hands to the loads of bricks pick them up and let her push you along to were they need to go, Mr. Forklift."
James replied, "My spatial perception is excellent, sounds like a plan." James walked over.

Turning to James again, "Is it true you blew out your eyes when you tried to kill my Dad? How cool was that?"
James looked surprised even under his glasses and replied somewhat awkwardly, "Huh?!"

*How old is she? 10? Younger? How adult should this conversation be? Forget Santa, how do you explain suicide death cults?*

James took a moment to gather his thoughts and replied, "No, I lost my eyes disarming... make that, failing to disarm a bomb. We had people inside the building, the bad people inside knew we were there, I figured it was up to me to act. I thought the risk of not acting was worse than the risk of acting."

"What I should have done was ask your Dad whether this was a good move or not. Your Dad is a wise man."

Violet shook her head ignoring Sarah for the moment, "No, Priest. You're wrong. James would never attempt murder and why should he try to kill you? What's his motive? It was an accident, he almost killed himself for christ sake! How much sense does that make to you?", the unearthly beautiful woman was struggling with her temper and tears.

"He did not try to kill you.", she added pronouncing every single word distinctly.

Archived