World of Darkness: Attrition - Looking Down the Rabbit Hole [Finished]

z021

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oneca shrugged. "Other than looking really weird and...and...," she sighed in annoyance this time, "and things I literally can't talk about, no, I don't know what they can do. And psychics do a whole bunch of different things, depending on who it is. There's mediums, kinetics, empaths and telepaths, psychometrists, and whole list of others not immediately coming to mind."

She glanced at Remy, know she'd answered a question directed at him, but he just looked at No Moss and gestured back to Oneca. "There you have. 32 flavors and then some. Most of us are as unique as fingerprint so far as we've been able to tell. There's broad similarities in some cases, and we've found reference and journals of people like us who are long dead." He shrugged easily, "Psychics are just like any person with a talent, this one just happens to be pretty rare and usually dismissed as anything other than what it is."

"Okay then. So we can't go straight after Saja-thing. She won't be reasoned with, can't be threatened, and if we rip her to shreds we risk hurting Oneca." Declan looked frustrated. "Anyone got a clue how we can find those kids? I'll bet they know who took them, and if we get them back..." He looked at Adrian.

Adrian looks glum.

"I can't track her during the day. I know a PI, but he isn't in on ... this whole existance - probably not a good choice. Still, if she is busy with something during the day, I could follow her at night and watch were she goes."

Adrian hesitates.

"My biggest problem with this is I have other ... obligations. I also need to feed and that takes time. Sorry."

"Still, if she only goes out late at night, I can stick close to her and track her movements."

He hoped that wasn't a hollow boast.

Moss shrugs within his bike jacket causing it to squeek slightly, "Well, I'm currently unemployed, although I do need to do something about that, but in the meantime I can spend anytime we need to try to keep track of her. I may not be so sure of my skills as Adrian here, but I'll do the best I can [grins]. My main problem is that I don't have any transport at the moment. I could do something about that if I have to but I'd rather wait and see how the job hunting goes to get something appropriate. Other than that I don't have any regular commitments, but I have said I'll help some other people out with some issues as and when they come up. By the way, i assume we can sort out passing round the contact numbers for each other while we sort this out?"

Moss nods to Adrian, "I should hopefully be able to fill in for most of the time that Adrian would be unavailable."

He smiles at Oneca, "Thanks for the brief on Psychics in general, but what is it the Remy does in particular. After all we've seen your fire ability."

Oneca got up at the mention of contact numbers and opened one of the end-table drawers, pulling out a small stack of business cards. They were all white what appeared to be a flame of inverted colors (all blacks and purples instead of yellows and reds) on one side and a crisply printed telephone number on the other. She quickly scribbled out another number on the cards underneath the first one and then handed them out, "The printed number will get call here, the number underneath is my cell. As for Saja, she spends most of her days on the UCLA campus, and volunteers her weekends at one of the children's hospitals in the area. I can find out which one. Other than that she's at home; which is why I'm usually not."

Remy waited for her to finish, then addressed Moss, "Like I've said, I can tell when someone isn't normal. Sometimes I can tell if two not-normal people are the same kind of not-normal, but most of the time it's really just a general feeling. Like radar - you blip, but that doesn't tell me what color you're painted."

Moss pulls out a notebook and pen from an inner pocket of his jacket and starts writing out his mobile number several times.

"So you got a weirdo radar in your head Remy? That must be odd to feel that there are unusual people around but not be able to tell what they might be or how they are different."

Having finished writing out his number and tearing off a number of slips he hands them round to Dec, Adrian and Oneca.

"I'm not sure where I'm going to be staying for a while, so this is the best way of gettin hold of me."

Remy shrugged and took the paper. "It's not all that bad, and I get to meet the most interesting people because of it." He grinned at Oneca and then the others. "And if you need somewhere to stay, Moss, we've got guest rooms. And a stocked fridge."

Declan followed suit, rattling off his phone number to the gathering. "It's a land line: don't own a mobile. But you can leave a message there." The big werewolf swung his legs onto the floor and stood in a swift, flowing motion.

"Alright then. I'd better get going." he announced, unconcernedly stripping off the scorched sweatpants and tossing them to one side. Naked as a jaybird and about as caring of the fact, he looked at the other four. "I'll keep an eye on Saja on the campus during the daytime. My job lets me poke around a bit." He grinned as he felt the exhilaration of the Change start, a grin that widened mischievously as he winked at the once-again beet red Oneca. "I'll need someone to let me out."

Then he Changed, fur sprouting from his skin, muscles and bones smoothly shifting, his face lengthening. Strong but blunt white teeth became sharp fangs, the useless vestigial human nose became a keen sensory instrument, a second set of eyes. Before the gazes of the gathering, the impressive-looking man became a handsome, dark furred wolf, silver eyes laughing over the pointed snout.

Remy start out of the chair as Declan changed. He'd been amused at the man's (no, werewolf's) lack of modesty, but seeing him actually change into a wolf completely broke the creole's composure. "Jeezus!"

Oneca laughed and wrapped her arms around him from behind, looking up at him. "Well, he did tell you." She kissed him on the shoulder, still chuckling to herself, and let Declan out of the house.

Moss laughs at the reaction to Dec's method of departure and just shakes his head as he considers his own remaining wariness that would prevent him from doing the same. He calls after the departing wolf, "Hey Dec, I'll come by the campus sometime, I want to have a word with you about some stuff."

Turning back to the remaining Remy and Adrian while Oneca shows Dec out he replies to an earlier comment of Remy's.

"Thanks for the offer of a room, I may take you up on that sometime, but I think I'll be ok for a little while. I just did someone a favour in return for some floor space and I wouldn't want to offend them by turning it down so soon. Adrian, I don't suppose I could cadge a ride?"

"Sure," the youthful Mekhat tell the Brit, "were am I dropping you off?"

Then, "Bye Remy. I'll be in touch."

He nods again to Remy as they head out. As they are going down the steps outside, out of the blue, Adrian asks,

"So, what are your criminal skills like? I'm looking for someone to help me when I gain my PI's liscence, and I already know a cop. We could buddy up from time to time."

The request and offer comes across as good natured with a bit of kidding.

"Well, if you're going for a PI liscence you are probably more of criminal than me. I've spent sometime on the streets and so done somethings that weren't entirely legal, but I wouldn't say I'm an experienced criminal by any means. As for helping you out from time to time, sure. I don't see a particular problem with that."

As they approach the car Moss changes the subject, "Could you drop me either back at the coffee shop or over by Homby Park."

Well, knowing a career criminal would have been cool, but he could understand the Homeless Werewolf being into other things. Still, it was a bit of a pity. A comrade on the streetside of things would have been nice.

"Homby Park? Sure I can drop you there ... do you have permission? I would hate to drop you off, half-blind and all. It's someone's territory and they don't take tresspassing lightly."

"Yeah, I've met her, although I'm not sure if that counts as permission or not. How about a block or so away to be on the safe side then [grins]? Sorry to disappoint you about the crime wave, I might be able to help I might not. Either way remember I've only been in town for about 3 weeks now."

Moss splits his attention between Adrian and the night life passing by outside.

"Oh, its not a crime wave I'm looking for. It's more of a mindset. See, I grew up on these city streets. Never been anywhere else. Sometimes I think of some things and and forget others. It's frustrating at times."

As they drive along,

"I can name you some rescue missions, as well as warn you away from some of the more violent gangs. No need to borrow trouble."

As they are getting close to the Park,

"How do you want to handle the 'watching Saja' part? Declan has her on campus and I can usually handle the 1-5 am shift. What do you want to do? Your shift is likely to be the most active, if she's up to something. After 7pm generally I can answer my phone if you have something important, but I'll be in classes until ten and then I need to hunt."

"Basically, how long are you going to watch her?"

Moss turns from the window to face him, "I wouldn't risk a rescue mission, someone put a bullet into Sarah on New Years Day. That screams Hunters to me and they could be religious types. In which case they may be watching the missions for info. So you might want to bear that in mind."

He turns back to the window as he continues, "I'm fine on the street, I've done it before and I'm sure I'll do it again. We tend to warn each other about gangs and stuff. But right now I've got someone's floor to crash on so that's not a problem."

"Watching Saja, I'll take whatever time is needed. I'll see about getting some wheels either now or while Dec's got her tomorrow and be good to go when he can't continue until you call me to say you're ready."

They came soon enough to Sarah's front door, so to speak. Adrian pulled his machine over to the curb and idled the engine while he shifted it into nuetral.

"Okay. Here we are. Tell Sarah I said hey. If you need anything just call."

"You pick up Saja at her home tomorrow evening and I'll relieve you by one. I'll give you a call to let you know I'm around."

With that, he watched the Were take his leave and say goodbye. It hadn't been a long night, but it certainly felt like one. They had learned a lot and a good deal of it sorrowful. There was much more to do before this tale was concluded, and hard work and blood to be spilt before there would be a happy ending.

Archived