z-Xiao Saori

December 31, 2008, Ueno Park

With a snap and a hum, the overhead lights burst into life, chasing back the gathering darkness. Near the water's edge, some benches and extra skates were waiting for the guests. Folded blankets sat nearby in a warmer, prepared to warm any cold novas. Along Shinobazu Pond's gentle southern curve, tables with hot plates were set up. The warm food steaming slightly as the hired caterers moved back and forth, checking on the food. Saori joined them, silently supervising them.

After a moment she nodded and stepped away, her eyes falling on the young man walking toward her. "Ryusei!" she chirped, hopping forward and grabbing his arm in youthful exuberance. "Oh, Ryusei, I'm so nervous! I can't wait for others to arrive!"

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He smiles, is mane of black hair flowing down between his shoulders. He wore a light blue jacket with a pair of jeans. He was calm and relaxed, a veritiable pool of Serenity. The cold air felt good on his skin, and of course he counted himself among good company. "Everything will be just fine Saori. You've done a truly wonderful job setting this up. I feel ashamed that you said this was an idea from both of us. You did the work, I just provided the monetary side of things."

He smiles, honestly proudd of how things came together. All in all it would be a fun way to start the new year.

"I wonder which of the guests will arrive first."

"Okay... I'm here... and the park is... over there. Now, fold section A over section B and bring up section Æ and... and..."

Danielle fiddled with the cumbersome paper map for a while before giving up. She departed her perch atop a building, and flew down towards where the event was being held. She has a yellow hoodie and jeans on, and wondered if she was underdressed.

Not that I can be overdressed. I could dance naked on the - yeah, I'm gonna stop that thought. Danielle gently cruised to a landing in front of Ziao and Ryu, her cheeks a little ruddy from the weather. "Hi, you two," she says with a slight smile. "I'm not late, am I?"

Kaien smiles as he Descends behind his slightly younger friend. "I seriously doubt you're capable of that Ryu-san." He slams a big hand on Ryusei's shoulder.

"Sorry i'm late, but you know how it is when you have relatively mindane means of travel. Not all of us can teleport across the globe."

He looks to Daniell and nods approvingly, then to Ryusei. "Is this the young woman you wanted me to meet?"

Ryusei removed the hand from his shoulder and stood, somehow perfectly on the blades. "No Kaien, this is Danielle, she and I met at a party in Cleveland." He turns around and gestures to Saori. "This is Xiao Saori. This whole party was her idea."

He turns to indicate Kaien. Saori, Danielle, this Hirota Kaien. He transferred into Tokyo Jinadai Academy last year, and is one of the three novas currently attending the school. He's been a great friend to me, and In lieu of my Sister Sakurako who couldn't be drug away from her research and tinkering, I invited him to come join us."

Kaien smiles. "Perhaps so, but then with so many people, the laws of probability are bound to catch up sooner or later. I always marvel at how the Hideyoshi family has a pair of sibling novas in the same generation. Part of me wonders if the other three siblings are just biding their time."

He looks to Ryusei. "It would have been nice if just once you actually pull rank on your sister and get her to attend a get-together, it's been ages since she's done so."

Suddenly something in Kaien's mind clicks. He looks back to Danielle. "I remember you now, your Debut in Most Excellent Fight was certainly memorable."

He smiles. "My apologies. I had just been wondering why you seemed familiar. Sometimes the filter between my mouth and brain isn't fast enough to prevent me from blurting things out."

He'd been watching for sometime, in fact, longer than the novas realized. They continued to speak and the man observing them remained as discreet as possible.

Politely the white jacketed caterer bowed as Ms. Saori crossed his path and he continued to go on about his business. Despite being 'on the clock' he didn't appear to be doing much in the ways of work, yet was doing enough that his 'boss' didn't take much notice.

The chill in the air didn't seem to bother him too much as he stared off at the novas preparing to skate on the frozen over Shinobazu Pond.

Despite being supervised, the caterer's mind and attention were certainly elsewhere.

Kaien laughs. "Captain Perfect mess up something like figure skating, I sincerely doubt it."

He found a pair of skates to fit him and laced them up and took off onto the Ice. He quickly caught up to Ryusei and smiled. "Come on man, you and I both know you can put a blindfold on and skate this pond with impossible skill."

Ryusei shrugged. "Fine. play innocent." He takes off speeding away. "I bet you can't catch me."

Saori watched quietly, lacing on her skates. The other novas weren't really intimidating her, though she admitted a certain retenience to break into the conversation. Everytime she was introduced, she smiled and made polite noises at the new person, but for now, she was content to just hang in the background.

Now, on the ice, she allowed herself to show off a bit. She hopped into a short axle jump, landing perfectly. She smiled, perhaps her first genuine smile - this was her favorite place in the world, on the ice.

Poot, everyone's a good skater here. My innate Canadian superiority isn't shining through. Wonder if there's body checking in figure skating...

Danielle skates a bit closer to Xiao. "You look like you're having fun," she says, skating backwards while perfectly still - an impressive feat for a normal person but not quite as much for someone who could fly.

Tobias wasn't quite sure what he was doing here. He didn't normally go in for nova-only parties. Keith sometimes teased him about that, saying it was because he always wanted to be the coolest guy at the party, but that was pretty far from the truth. In any case, next to a couple of these novas, he wouldn't have any trouble looking good if that was his concern. Especially the nova he'd quickly identified as Knockout. He didn't really keep up with much nova news, but something...the way she moved herself...reminded him of something...

Oh, right. Her.

One step took Sampajanna onto the ice, gliding effortlessly past Knockout and spinning slightly on his tennis shoes to face Xiao. He "skated" backwards to keep from running into her, keeping his senses attuned to any hazard behind him.

"Hello," Sampa said to Xiao pleasantly, "I apologize for my tardiness. My name is Tobias Joy. I believe we met briefly last year." He nodded to Knockout. "And it's difficult not to have fun skating, in my experience."

((OOC: Rolled for Sampa's skating maneuver in the beta chat. Dex+Athletics. Results:

(18:13:50) ChatBot: (Titus) rolls 2d10 and gets 7,2.

(18:14:11) ChatBot: (Titus) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,4,3,4,8,4,9. ))

And so he watched, unhampered by the winter chill in the air the caterer continued to look upon the gathered novas enjoying themselves upon the ice.

Perhaps this was a bad idea. he thought to himself. These people are different from me. They're...

The cater sighed and averted his eyes from the display on the ice, continuing to look like he was actually doing something at all.

Saori grinned at Knockout. She was still too pretty to be friends with, but on the ice, much could be forgiven or overlooked. "I took lessons as a child," she admitted. "My mother thought I should have structured exercise, and this is what I choose. I really enjoy it."

At Sampajanna's introduction, Saori bowed, smiling. She made the gesture easy and graceful, rather than strange, as it should have been. "I am pleased to have you here. I rememember you from Rapture's party. Thank you for coming."

A cold blue nimbus of light around him, the muscular blond nova performed a controlled drop from the sky, going from airborne to walking as smoothly as if he had stepped from a carriage. The glow around him fading away as he stepped into the ring of lights, Einherjar approached the edge of the pond, his baritone voice announcing his presence.

"Hey all." He was garbed in winter clothing: white sweater, brown slacks and half-boots, a scarf looped around his neck. He looked for all the world like a Viking who had raided a high street chain store as he took a seat on a bench at the waters edge and relaxed. The most noticeable feature of his clothing was the white sling the Elite's right arm was currently in, from which his bandaged right hand poked out. Combined with the slight shifting as he got comfortable, it was plain to onlookers that Einherjar was in some mild discomfort.

Nevertheless, he smiled warmly at those present as he waved a greeting with his good hand.

Ryusei notes Sampajana's arrival and then shortly afterwards Einherjar's. He glided across the ice and smiled as he greeted him. "Glad to see you made it Einherjar. It is good to see you again."

He doesn't ask about the arm and only allows his eyes to rest on it for a moment. He nods and looks over to where the tables were set with food. "Please make yourself comfortable, join us on the ice if you are so inclined." He was proper and polite, doing his best to make him feel welcome.

"Thanks Ryusei." Ein's teeth show white in the blond of his beard as he flashes the young man a grin, then a sly wink, nodding towards Saori and Knockout. "I'll just sit here and watch the mobile scenery out there for a little bit. So how've you been since Central Park, my friend?"

Einherjar shrugged a trifle stiffly, chuckling softly at Ryusei's delicacy of expression. "Not bad at all. The merc life agrees with me, appearances notwithstanding." He gave a self-deprecating smile. "I'm even getting some small merchandising offers. Not sure about the lunchboxes, but the idea of being on t-shirts isn't all that bad."

Originally Posted By: Xiao Saori
"I took lessons as a child," she admitted. "My mother thought I should have structured exercise, and this is what I choose. I really enjoy it."

"You're good at it too. I'm Canadian and know from good skating - "

Knockout watches Sama zip past. "Oh hey Sama! Hi. Uh - " She clams up as he begins to talk to Xiao. A moment later she turns around to see that Einherjar has landed as well.

Ah, him again. I should thank him for the lunch that time after the party...

"Thanks for that lunch. Oh, also, uh, hi."

As Tasha approached the meeting she had to evaluate her outfit. Today she was going to talk to Peter and that was all she cared about. She had not exactly made her tendencies of following him a secret. Nor had she the gull to make it to the picnic. So here she was, approaching the party. She would even taken a few precautionary measures to not immediately ruin the party.

All traces of her flesh was covered with cloth. She wore a slick dress, but underneath it she wore long black cloth turtleneck and stockings which met with long gloves on her arms and high boots on her legs. Now the mask was a little harder to pull off. She had gotten a ski mask to cover her nose and below, but kept the top lifted over to reveal her hair. She completed the task of disguise with a plain white mask which covered her entire face and parts of the sides of her head.

She walked up behind Einherjar and slipped an arm around his. She smiled inside her mask but there was no actual way to tell save for an enhanced vision. "Good evening." She spoke in a heavy Russian accent, looking at the nova's in the immediate area. "And to you, Mr. Nord." as she looked up at him.

Kaien caught up to Saori and smiled as he pointed over to where Ryusei was greeting the new people.

"Looks like Ryusei's decided to play the host again. I recognize Einherjar, but who is the other one, the one with the mask?"

He nods once. "You skate very beautifully Saori, As if you were born to do it."

Sampa smiled at Xiao and turned, angling back to where Ryusei, Einherjar, Knockout and Zombie had congregated. He slid to a stop, gazing at them all with large, unreadable eyes. "It is good to see you all again, Ryusei, Knockout...Einherjar? And I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you," he said to Zombie.

At the mention of Einherjar, Saori spun around on her skates. Her dark eyes went wide with mixed surprise and hope, before she blanked them. Then she saw the possessive, aggressive woman on his arm and they sparked with a touch of anger. Forget about him, she ordered as she spun back around. "I don't know her," Saori said, her voice pleasant with an upward lilt meant to sound relaxed and happy. "I'll have to meet her - in a moment. You are Kaien, yes?"

YHe nods. "Yes. It is a pleasure to meet you. Ryusei spoke of a beautiful woman named Saori he'd met in New York, and I had hoped to see if his words were true."

He chuckles. "Clearly they were not. Words fail to do you justice."

"Umm... Hello to you too." He looked slightly surprised at the new arrival, nearly starting from his seat as she sat down and slipped an arm around his good one. The mystery woman's sudden appearance and unaccountable possessiveness were a little disconcerting. He looked up at Sampajanna's greeting and nodded pleasantly, his handsome brow still furrowed as he tried to work out who this was next to him.

"That makes two of us that haven't had the pleasure of meeting you, miss." His deep voice, like his smile, was pleasant as he gently extracted his arm from her grasp. Could this be Stephanie from Havana? The hair was the right color... but why the heavy accent? "But you obviously know me."

The last was both statement and question, the pleasant outward demeanour somewhat tempered by the cool interrogatory look in the Elite's eyes.

Tasha ignored the others, waiting for Peters' response. He was surprised, Tasha knew, but he acted like he didn't even know her. Sure, they'd never talked, per se, but that was still no excuse for his interrogation. Still, Tasha thought, I can get all these people on my side within a few minutes. "Uh.. its me? Tasha?" She made a nervous giggle like she didn't know why he was giving such a response. "Oh! I'm sorry!" She spoke excitedly, looking deep in his eyes. Her intentions were terrible. "I can't believe I was so rude!" she exclaimed as she turned to Sampajanna and Ryusei. "My name is Tasha. Tasha Kronkoff, and I work with Einherjar here." She spoke as innocently as possible and extended her gloved hand to each of them. "And its nice to meet you, Ryusei." She was audibly smiling.

Looks like the freak show has officially arrived. The caterer thought to himself as he ignored a man who he though was some kind of boss maybe? Who knows? He didn't speak Japanese.

This is bad, I should have save my plane ticket money and bought a Play Station game or something. This guy is bothering me...

The foreman of the caterers was trying to tell the subordinate something but and it was obvious the subordinate wasn't listening. Although, out of respect for the hosts, he tried to keep it quiet a bit of a small scene was brewing between the caterer who was ignoring and the boss who was being ignored. Get away man, I don't like Pokemon, or tentacles, or ass raping underage animated girls... seriously, go... shoo...

The cater sighed. Now, how do I say that in Japanese? Wonder if there'll be a fight?

Einherjar's pleasant smile changed just the merest fraction as 'Tasha' introduced herself as his partner. Those possessing keen observation skills noted a certain glacial quality coming to his gaze as his smile widened.

Tasha Kronkoff. Yeah, I know about her. Goes by the name Zombie. Oh shit... His mind worked fast now as he recalled where he'd heard her name. She's the chick that 'Bolt ragged on me about. The one that has a 'thing' for me.

He didn't know whether to laugh or scowl at her. Being admired by women wasn't new. Even having the bolder ones approach him was not too uncommon. But Tasha was... well, a zombie. Sure, looks weren't everything. She's a zombie. She looks like a walking dead girl. There was personality to consider. She's acting like a psycho bunny-boiler. Wait a minute... Maybe the interest wasn't like that. Maybe 'Bolt had the wrong end of the stick. Oh gods in Asgard or wherever, I hope so! Time to test the waters slightly.

"Well, we work for the same company." He smiled as his gaze swept around the group. "We have slightly differing operational profiles though, so we haven't actually done any field work together yet." He turned to her. "You surprised me with the get-up." He gestured at her mask. "Though the voice should have clued me in. The accent is hard to forget."

He was diplomatic. He was even kind to a point. His words sent the message to Tasha that while he wouldn't be harsh about it, too much presumption could and would be met with blunt rebuttal.

Tasha looked at Einherjar, for a moment as he spoke she thought that he was going to say that they were together but she quickly realized it was only wishful thinking. He explained that they were, in so many words, worked in the same office but had never met. She didn't like his explanation, obviously. He even tried to be friendly by saying that he didn't recognize her because of the mask, yet they'd never actually spoken before. His lie infuriated her but she kept it all under the mask.

"Don't be so modest." She said sweetly to Einherjar. "We both did some work in Somalia together a few months back" she explained to everyone else. "Real bloody and violent but it wasn't too much. We've saved each other more than once." She said, looking into his eyes. Was there a hidden implication? She leaned on him ever so slightly. She made it seem like the entire thing was a show for the crowd and their relationship went much deeper.

Right. That's the way you want it? Ein's thoughts darkened as he met Tasha's gaze. He wasn't interested in pandering to whatever game she was playing. Innate civility was all that was preventing him from simply walking away. He shook his head, smile fading slightly.

"You were there too? I didn't know." The onlookers were peripheral to the Elite's focus right now. All his attention (and not inconsiderable presence) was focused on Zombie. "They must have set us to parallel tasks."

"And I think you've got me confused with someone else, Tasha." His voice was still soft, calm. "I've never worked with anyone except Pickup, the teleporter, and Steelbolt a couple of times in Kashmir. Sorry."

There it was, a blunt rebuttal that lay heavy across the conversation.

Archived