Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - Prologue: On Being Different

jameson (ST)

"You're welcome ... I guess," Rodney tells Penny. "As for the animal sightings, I'm not sure. I know I've been pretty circumspect in my observations. Has anyone else been sighted?"

His ears twitch toward Ramani for an instance, but flick back. Cats and bats had an historically bad track record.

"Ay, well, I get sighted all the time," Wally notes cheerfully, bobbing slightly on his toes. "But generally it's when I'm doing the 'Stupid 'Roo' impression. Put on a T-shirt, a funny hat, bounce around the park with a bucket...you'd be surprised how much people'll pay for that. Keeps us in decent kip, me an' Ozzie."

He looks expectantly from Penny to Cole to Rodney.

"So I'm in the paper then? Is it flattering? How many stars do I have?"

"Umm... well, actually, it's a matter of the sewers," Penny fumbled, just as nervous around Ramani as Rodney was. She pulled out the photocopy and held it out for anyone to read. It seemed best to assume they were literate, rather than the other way around. She could read it to them, if they asked.

"That's kinda why I came back here. I figured that this could your guys territories, but I guess, not huh?" Penny frowned. "That must mean that there are more of you in the sewer."

Cole nods. "Ramani and I avoid the sewers. The smell is a bit much for both of us." "We've been seen I think, but noramlly we wear a bit more clothing. The Heavy Trenchcoats tend to hide us well enough, until we pull our hands from our pockets and move faster than a walk."

Cole took the photocopy and read it and frowned. "You may be right."

Rodney reads the photocopy next.

"Not me, but it could be a clue about us. Maybe these fellas know more bout our origins than we do. Maybe they've been at it longer, or something. I'm not all that keen about going in the sewers - wings and all - but I'll give it a shot. Just not alone, in case they are some kind of cannibals," he adds with a grin.

As the group discussed the article and tenuously began to form the first indications of a group a dark van rolled quietly to a stop on the nearest road. Obscured by bushes and camouflaged by matte black paint and tinted windows an average person would simply have failed to notice it at all. This group was far from average however; Cole and Ramani heard the soft crunching of its tires over the pebbled and dirt strewn road, while Wally, jumpy as ever, happened to be looking in the right place at the right time.

Click to reveal..
(08:36:55) (jameson): Ramani notice check (+6)

(08:37:01) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 10.

(08:37:27) (jameson): Cole Notice check (+3)

(08:37:30) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 16.

(08:38:23) (jameson): Rodney Notice Check (+3)

(08:38:25) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 5.

(08:39:57) (jameson): drat +1 for Cole +4 for Rodney (additional from Wisdom)

(08:40:20) (jameson): Wally Notice check (+4)

(08:40:24) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 20.

(08:40:54) (jameson): Ozzie Notice Check (+4)

(08:40:59) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 2.

(08:41:27) (jameson): Penny Notice Check (-1)

(08:41:31) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 10.

(08:42:42) (jameson): resisted Stealth Check (+10)

(08:42:47) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 3.

Ramani tilted her head towards the general direction the noise she heard was coming from.Ramani tilted her head towards the general direction the noise she heard was coming from. She looked like she was ready to jump into action but remained close next to Cole and waited impatiently while her tail lashed out from one side to the other. A snarl escaped from her indicating her disapproval of the situation. “Someone is coming”, she said with her guttural voice more to Cole than to the others.

Wally freezes for a moment, then reaches back for his rifle.

"It's one of them black vans!" he whispers excitedly. "That's what you said it was, Ozzie, right? Black van? There's one right over there, through the bush."

He nods, indicating a direction.

"What? Huh?"

Rodney had missed it and that really threw him off. His eyes quickly followed in the direction Wally was indicating with his body posture. As he pivoted, his hand went to his gun, but he didn't pull it out. He still wasn't sure what was going on here. He only had a serious suspicion it didn't bode well for him and his newfound companions.

Cole nods and takes Ramani into the nearby bushes. "Hide and watch my back Ramani. Be prepared for anything."

Cole knew if they had certain special sensor gear there was no hiding, and then most likely there would be fighting involved.

He gave Ramani's paw a reassuring squeeze and nodded back towards Penny. "I hope her plan works."

The mutants scattered leaving Penny seemingly alone in the small clearing. Alone in the dark Penny's eyes flitted about and eventually located the van that the others had seen. Obscured by shadow and shrubbery it was difficult enough to make out that she didn't feel at all bad about not seeing it sooner. As she watched she saw the front passenger window slowly creep down and a pair of lenses peered out into the night staring back at her. With no sound or other indication the lenses withdrew and the window closed as the black van began to roll silently away into the darkness, consumed like a shadow within a dark room.

Click to reveal..
(10:37:06) (jameson): Penny Search check (+7)

(10:37:10) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 19.

(10:37:18) (jameson): Rodney Search Check (+10)

(10:37:21) ChatBot: (jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 14.

Both beat the DC 13

Originally Posted By: Cole Mulvaney
Cole nods and takes Ramani into the nearby bushes. "Hide and watch my back Ramani. Be prepared for anything."

Cole knew if they had certain special sensor gear there was no hiding, and then most likely there would be fighting involved.

He gave Ramani's paw a reassuring squeeze and nodded back towards Penny. "I hope her plan works."

Ramani followed Cole faithfully and watched his back as good as she could. At least this was better than just waiting and talking - she didn't like that a lot. She felt insecure around strangers when a lot of talking was involved. She still struggled with language and was not satisfied with herself which had a rather negative effect on her overall mood. No killing she reminded herself as she felt the rush of anticipation washing over her.

"Well, that was close," Rodney whispered. He then took off cautiously through the bushes to see if he could get a parting sighting of the vechile to get it's liscence plate. He wasn't actually sure what he would do with said information, but it's what they always did in the detective shows.

(Stealth roll +11; (14:43:53) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d20 and gets 4, so a DC 15)

(Notice check; (14:50:36) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d20 and gets 19 + 10 -3 (for distance and darkness) = 26! )

Penny thought, really, really hard. She'd just been seen with the mutants, not twenty-hour hours after a mutant had been taken by a similar black vehicle. She was surely being looked up right now, checking out her name, address and more.

The damage was done. Now, to turn it to her advantage. She made sure that no one was around, then waved to the mutants. "Well," she said as they rejoined her, "it looks like I'm in the same boat as the rest of you, now. I've been spotted with you, having friendly discourse. Your safety is going to be in numbers, from now on. Some of you seem to be together already," she nods at Ramini and Cole, "but not all of you. You guys need to plan so that you don't end up in the back of a black van. And so do I."

Cole emerges from the brush and walks up to her. "I know of somewhere you can stay, if you cannot go home though. I just hope you don't mind the smell of a home that has two very large cats living there."

He waits for the others to arrive and seconds Penny's remarks.

"Is there someplace not so out in the open we can go nearby? I still feel horribly exposed out here at the moment."

"Oz and me have a nice pad too, should someone need a place to stay," Wally offers, emerging from the bushes. "It's not the Hilton, but it's...ah...charming in a rustic sort of way. Good wood veneer. Bit too much carpeting...been thinking of doing something about that..."

"There is room at my place. AT least until I find my Dad. It's spacious and roomy, though a bit cluttered. Still, you are welcome to stay if you need to."

Worrying his lower lip, he adds,

"It's a top floor place with access to a fire escape. I like to climb up to the room in the summer."

"So you guys feel safe there?" Penny asked, pressing the point. "I'm going to take some precautions, but I have family members and friends to worry about too, so I gotta be careful that way."

That was a whole new headache. She couldn't tell anyone about her extracurricular activities - or could she? Maybe enlisting Mike and Randy to help her. The idea scared and excited her. It meant that she wouldn't be alone here, but it was another person in danger.

"Yeah, I'm quite happy with my living arrangements Penny. Should you decide to visit, I think you'd like it there."

Originally Posted By: Rodney
"AT least until I find my Dad."

"Your looking for your 'dad' as well? Seems like we have something else in common the just being what we are."

Rodney goes,

"Sure," and pulls out his cellpohone from his waist. "What's your number?"

Only after he had said this did he realize he may very well have to give his own number out. His security and safety would now be even more at risk. Still, he had to do something for the rest of his ... kind.

Archived