Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter Five: Prelude Harbinger

Justin OOC

"You are most welcome Seven. Though perhaps we can just call you Sven. Its more human sounding than a number."

She smiles to the sentient automaton and goes over to the main console in the bay. She lays her hands on the terminal and the lights spread again as both Noha and Seven can see the rainbow lights streaming across her eyes as she accesses and inventories the entire bay in the span of seven seconds.

"I have invetoried this ship." She frowns. I was hpoing for more expansive reserves, but I realize our own attacks have decreased them. I have to go through the other ships as well, would you two mind accompanying me?"

Noha watches the lights, and adjusts his uniform. He is not accustomed to such odd displays. He steps back a moment, noticing the humanoid form of Seven. There is a pause, as he processes Ruri's question. "Of course. I can accompany you as long as is needed."

The three of them continue on a shuttle throughout the other ships of the Fleet, eventually they finish the inventory and are summoned to the Macross itself to brief Captain Nagare.

Ryoma is in the Medical ward raising hell as only he can but stops when Ruri and the others walk in. "I knew you were fast Captain but i had no idea. You managed to pick up two men in the span of hours, that beats even Amane's record." He looks at Noha and seems to be appraising him, as if he can tell who and what he is and pilots. Seven is more a mystery to him.

"Well gentlemen introduce yourselves. Then we can get this underway. I have a readiness report to write and The Crown Princess is likely going to be very interested in it."

Stepping forward, his arms loosely at its sides, 'Sven' speaks.

"Hello Sir. I am Nihilist 7, Harbinger class independent assault unit."

He glances at Ruri briefly before turning its eyes back to Ryoma.

"You may call me Sven if you'd prefer."

There is a moment of silence, then Sven raises its right hand straight out, awkwardly offering a handshake.

Ryoma takes the proffered hand and gives it a firm shake. "I remember finding you years ago. I had no idea that you could assume a human form." Ryoma's grip is strong for a flesh and blood being, though nowhere near as strong as Seven's. "Sven eh? I like it, it does fit you. Welcome to Satoshi Heavy Industries then. We have our work cut out for us in the coming months. I know I can count on you."

Sven? That's just strange. (((OOC: This is inside his head, so no replies needed.)))

"Captain Nagare, I am Sergeant Noha Bahram, stationed on the Kurogane, formerly under General Zonbolt. I've heard much of you Captain. I'm sure things will go well. The Circinus will bring much honor to Satoshi." Noha seems convinced of this, and is noticeably more relaxed in the presence of Ryoma. He stands at ease, with excellent posture. He does not put forth his hand, but does offer a bow to Ryoma.

"If there is anything I can do to assist with the transition, please let me know."

(((OOC: Who is the Crowned Princess? What would I know of her?)))

"I'm sure there will be Seargeant, and I will hold you to that."

He slumps back into bed and a little sensor goes off and he frowns. In a moment a nurse in the garb of CRT-4 appears, stares in shock at the sight of her Captain, but then recovers enough to do her job. "Excuse gentlemen, Captain, Doctor Kay has ordered Ryoma to stay well rested and I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

(((IC you are not aware of who the "Crown Princess" actually refers to.. its a question you can ask though.)))

Sven nods to the nurse when she asks them to leave and follows Noha out. When they find themselves in the relative quiet of the corridor, he turns to Noha, his eyes appraising the young officer.

"Mr. Noha Bahram, could you explain this 'transition' that you mentioned to Mr. Nagare? I am unfortunately deficient in information regarding politics."

Ruri follows them from the room and looks to Sven.

"The Circinus Federation force you were attached to was commanded by Sanger Zonbolt. He fought Captain Ryoma Nagare in a Trial of Possession for this Fleet versus the Fleet's right to leave this stellar system. As you can see, Sanger was defeated and slain. This Fleet now Serves Satoshi Heavy Industries, In particular the Faction of Satoshi that supports First Princess Akosaniolilly, heir to the Dalaraan Imperial throne. She saved the Life of Acting Commnader and Chief Nagare's life and he pledged all affiliated personnel to support her."

She smiles. "This now includes all of the Federation personel aboard these ships."

Her eyes shifted to Noha, knowing she'd just dropped a major bomb on him as well.

Sven blinks. The first real facial expression he's made in his new body.

"I now serve Satoshi Heavy Industries? This is an unexpected turn of events. I am... unsure how to proceed. I studied Circinus battle tactics extensively, will this be compatible with Satoshi methods?"

He seems much more interested in the military ramifications of this information. The mention of the First Princess is apparently unimportant to him.

Noha turns to Seven, only momentarily showing his surprise and stun, "Your Circinus training, and study will be compatible and sufficient. Given prior conflict, we have both studied one another extensively and adapted appropriately. There should be little issue in accommodating each another in terms of formations, strategies, and so forth. Protocol, given Captain Nagare's previous experience, should be adjusted without too much difficulty, although for some of us, it might take some time for it to become standardized."

There is a brief pause, as Noha glances at Ruri. He once again turns to Seven, though to Ruri, it is obvious he is addressing them both, "Given Captain Nagare's pledge, and our honor bound loyalties, it will be quite a change to alter our focus to the protection of First Princess Akosaniolilly. However, defensive tactics have been our primary practice for some time now, and we should be able to accommodate alterations in order to make the safety of the Princess our primary objective. The difficulty will be in making the target less obvious, but I speak from limited experience. I am not well trained in covert operations, or subversion principles."

He adjusts his uniform and turns to Ruri, "Captain, is a briefing scheduled for the new personnel? This is pertinent information. If we're to perform our duties effectively, we all need to know our mission, and what's to be expected of us."

"Yes, Ryoma will be delivering the address when he's back at full strength until such time, We will be refitting your shis and recalibrating the deuterra reactors. The Macross and Nadesico have taken up shepherd positions. They and their mecha compliments will keep us all safe. Beyond that we are within the sphere of the Reagan system's operations, which effectively makes us perfectly safe from other ships."

She looks to them and smiles. "Everything will be fine now. It may take some work and effort, but We will get it done, and you will in time think of this world as home."

Her optimism was shattered when the Shrill alarm of a red alert. "Attention All Hands, Reagan system has detected large scale Space-defold operations at Zenith and Nadir points of the system. All hands prepare for battle, preliminary probes show to be Circinus Federation Fifth Fleet at the nadir, Zenith point confirmed as Invader hordeships.

Ruri, already pale went even more so "Oh Hell."

She pressed the stud on her collar. "I need an immediate line to Captains Nanamura and Ishiyama on the surface, now." She looked to Sven and Noha. Stay close. "We're likely going back to the Hagane soon. If I can get it cleared, I will see to it we go to fight the invaders. The Macross and Nadesico will handle the Fifth fleet."

The reply was what she expected and she knew there'd be reprecussions. She and her two companions boarded the shuttle and returned to the Hagane. She made her way to the bridge. Before that she smiled to each of them. "Mount up in the Atmos Noha, we're going to need you. Sven, return to the hangar and prepare yourself for immediate Sortie. We're going to jump the fleet to the Zenith point and engage the invaders before they have time to multiply. I'm counting on you both, like everyone else." She walked away and addressed the fleet from the Bridge.

"As Senior officer on site, I Captain Ruri Hoshino take command of this battlefleet. We will be executing a spacefold to the Zenith point of this system to engage just arrived invader hordes. Please accept this as a token of our respect. The Nadir point is now being painted with the Federation Fifth fleet and we felt you should not be asked to fight against your countrymen so soon. Please we need you're cooperation now, if any of us are to survive, stop the invaders and annihilate them. I will be here on the Hagane with you."

Noha and Sven saw Ryusei and the others already climbing into their mecha. clearly, at least with them, Captain Hoshino's words had had the desired effect.

Noha can't help laughing inwardly at the absurdity of it all. We lose the General, barely take count for the assimilation with the Satoshi, then the Fifth attack, and Invaders strike us head on. It'd be beautiful if it weren't so horrific.

Noha straightens himself, and salutes Captain Hoshino before leaving the bridge. He nods to Seven as they both make their way to their respective hangers.

After boarding Atmos, he addresses Brigit. "Your friend Ruri is gutsy, and a little sly. I'm not sure if I like her, but I think I respect her. Now, why don't we make the Invaders fear us? Enable all weapon systems. We engage as soon as we're cleared."

Sven waves goodbye to his two new friends and makes his way back to the mecha-bay. A smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. Combat. It was literally what he was made for.

Entering back into the cavernous bay, he carefully examined what was near him and found an open space in the bustling hanger and initialized his new routine again. Techs and pilots stared in wonder as blue light flared to life like a silent plasma burst, dying in moments to reveal the massive war-form of Nihilist Seven. Moving with an fluidity that earned the rapt attention of more than one mecha-pilot, it returned to the cradle it had been assigned and awaited deployment, its massive hands flexing occasionally, fierce joy in its robotic heart.

The preparations were made, and with a shudder the Circinus/Satoshi Battlefleet folded for the Zenith point. Upon arrival, all the catapults went into overdrive, launching autonomous mecha and that of the Elite Ace warriors. This was a fight to prove their worth, their commitment, the true depths of honor.

((OOC, At this point you are free to launch your machines and engage the enemy Invaders. Both of you have by this point engaged them before and are used to their abilities and attacks. This is a fairly easy battle as the horde is still disoriented. The monsters look like creatures straight out of Getter Robo Armageddon, monstrous horrors lined with claws multiple eyes and rows of teeth. Kill them freely and have a good time. Bonus CP will be awarded based on the descriptiveness of your posts. You can choose to work together with each other, with any of the numerous NPC Aces, or alone. If you wish to work with An Ace NPC let me know and I'll post for them. Otherwise, go out there and showcase all your robot's or your own abilities. Have fun!)))

• 2 weeks later...

Nihilist 7 was patient. It had listened to the friendly banter over the comm frequencies of the Circinus mecha pilots launched before it, their voices outwardly jovial, with adrenaline tinged undertones. It had carefully examined the dispersion of the forces allayed against them, uninterested in the silent ballet of form and function as both forces, human and monster alike, swooped, dove and rolled, reveling in the freedom of space in the brief minutes before contact with the enemy was achieved.

Without ceremony, Nihilist 7 was launched. Free from its restrictions, it activated its flight systems and boosted towards the first flight of Circinus mecha. As it approached, it calculated the point of engagement with the invaders, and moved at best speed towards the closest group of approaching creatures. Nihilist 7's right arm reconfigured itself swiftly, the hands and forearm disappearing as the armor plates slid and revealed a multi-barreled cannon, its barrels spinning erratically as full activation of the weapon system is achieved. Its right shoulder undergoes a similar alteration, revealing a short rack of missiles.

As the two forces, mecha and monster, begin to engage at the extreme of their effective ranges, Nihilist 7 adds its own voice to the cacophony. Its missiles are smaller than the Circinus standard, but they move with a grace that seems almost unnatural, twisting and spiraling towards their targets, blowing gaping holes in the onrushing horde.

As the forces close and begin to mix, Nihilist 7 remains distant, eschewing the "knife-fight" range preferred by some pilots. It never stops firing, its pattern rythmic and devestating, its combat algorithms keeping a grim tally.

**Firing Missiles - 3 targets destroyed - Reload in progress

**Initializing cannon - Miss. Reaquiring

**Initializing cannon - Target injured

**Initializing cannon - Target destroyed

**Reload complete

**Firing Missiles - 2 targets destroyed - Reload in progress

There is no hesitation, no pride in its actions, its personality submerged by the cold application of the tools of its trade.

Atmos departs the hanger, deftly maneuvering to the belly of the ship, before undercutting toward the starboard flank. Noha watches as the R-1 unfurls, its white and blue standing out starkly against the black depths of space. A coiled invader spasms in pain as Ryusei releases the T-Link Knuckle, and invisible telekinetic force throws it back. Assuming Ryusei can handle himself, Noha brings Atmos roundabout, and engages the next line of enemies.

The chatter continues. Noha is absently aware of the banter, and counting of kills. Brigit analyzes the battlefield, and announces the weakest defensive point to Noha. Engaging the thrusters in full, Atmos streaks into the sparsely defended space.

A multi-eyed, spine clad behemoth worms its way past the line. Noha targets its extended head, and opens fire. The WISP system comes into full force, a red ring forming around Atmos, and sparks fly out, flashing through space leaving a small tails in their wake, like comets. Four bursts detonate on the creature. It twists, and pulls away, but Atmos is already in close. Buzzing by the creature, Atmos dodges its spines, as beam swords burst into life from Atmos' hands. The two nearest spines fall away, and the monstrosity continues its flailing. Noha absently fires two more rounds to finish off the creature, before continuing.

More twisting, tendrils lie beyond. Now crossed the defensive line, Atmos is more exposed. More WISP flashes flare to life, as multiple enemies approach. Giving up some space, Noha continues to pull back, darting here and there. One long limb, like a multi-jointed spider's leg approaches, rushing towards Atmos. Noha dives aside, and forward, extending the beam swords to deflect the impact, and cutting across the ridged carapace as he does. Watching the curvature of the limb, he targets the ending joint connecting to the appendage, and fires a shot. The WISP spark burst, and barely a moment after the red flash the limb twists aside.

But more approach. I swear, these things breed like cockroaches. Spittle flies through the empty space in one direction, as another dives to intersect Atmos, and yet another rushes straight for Noha. Brigit says quietly, "Perhaps, this was not the best decision. We are General Purpose, and thus not designed to be a primary defensive support." "Don't worry," he responds. "This will all work out."

Atmos easily dodges the spray, and counters with a WISP blast of its own. Another WISP launches at the encroaching Invader, and Atmos swerves to met the interceptor. The straight charging enemy is left alone, in the open darkness of space.

Atmos' beam swords flare into life, as another WISP shot streaks to the rear, at the spittle streaming creature. Just as beam sword slashes into black flesh, another bright, flash appears in space occupied just moments ago by Atmos. The charging creature falters, a large hole steaming in its chest.

Noha flicks open the com-link. "Thank you, Mai." "No, problem Noha," is the meek reply.

After the next two are left in burnt pieces, and shredded segments, Brigit adds, "Noha, you are very trusting with our lives. Mai's engagement was not planned, nor part of standard strategy. Kazahara or Clang would stand to be the first to fill the post."

"And either of them would have easily handled the invader."

"But you anticipated, Mai?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I know my people."

"You could not know she would arrive in time."

"I know my people. That's all I need to know."

(((OOC Awesome posts both of you. you may both continue to post ongoing scenes from this battle, which should get progressively harder, but not impossible. As things stand you both get 10 CP for this. If you keep going there is the possibilty of more.)))

Having fallen back slightly, Noha maneuvers Atmos to a low lying position, keeping beneath the plane of the ship, and easily clear of the R-Gun's attacks. But it seems that the Invaders will not relent. Every time one falls, there is simply another to takes its place. The nearby space is filled with the shifting, swarming Invaders, and Noha pauses for a moment as he flies to decide on his next move.

But it's a moment more than he's allowed. A long, thin barb soars through the blackness of space, the thin shaft barely registering on screen. Atmos manages to veer aside at the last second, but the slithering Invader, covered in myriad spines quickly makes its approach as Noha attempts to stabilize his mech.

The bony spurs unfurl, and several launch at the mech before the Invader finally closes in. Noha manages to dodge and parry, but is not able to backtrack swiftly enough to keep the Invader from bridging the distance. The talon laced creature's spines protrude like a lattice work, and begin to extend, its body twisting, and points and jagged edges writhe independently and with its body's movements. Noha dodges as best he is able, but several glancing blows make it through his defenses. He slashes one barb away, then another, and another, but seems to make no real progress. It would take ages to clear them all away.

Noha is not so distracted as not to notice that the extended blades are keeping him well away from the creature's flesh. Following his first intuition, he flies in closer to the body of the Invader. The attacks attempt to follow, but elongated the spines overlap, and when retracted there are fewer to contend with, and Noha is able to dodge or deflect many of them, though they are still to numerous to handle fully.

WISP flashes, and red eruptions litter the hide of the Invader. Red hued, beam blades slash here and there, cutting aside the bony protrusions, and allowing clearer aim at the Invader. The serpentine Invader begins to twists its body, trying to shrug off Atmos. Noha maneuvers to follow the curvature, and Atmos is too fast to be thrown so easily. He managers to make another pass, and flesh and bone fall away, as beam blades whip through space, and scarlet explosions cover the area.

It continues to twist, folding over itself to cover the damage as best it can. As it pulls away, Noha darts Atmos aside, allowing some distance to form, and releases WISP blasts as the Invader retracts. Suddenly, Atmos accelerates, swerves, and rushes in at a right angle, unleashing a series of blasts, and hacking through the hide of the creature as it gets in range.

The coiled Invader twines in the blackness of space, a battle erupting around it. The diamond head wrenches back and forth in pain. Surely, if its sounds could be heard, its monstrous cries would make anyone cringe. Its jerking movements become a violent spasm. A flash of scarlet light, and a gush of bright blood blossom forth from its coiled bulk. Almost simultaneously, the form of Atmos is seen flying out of the charred, and mutilated chunks, the blood washing aside as the mech's body parts the fluid.

The view of the scene is quickly covered by a more massive form. An even larger, star shaped structure appears, one large appendage swinging its gargantuan mass at the diminutive mech. Noha barely manages to pull Atmos aside, avoiding a deadly collision, but the impact is still severe. Noha is rattled in the cockpit, and Brigit reports the damage status. All systems are still online, but Atmos cannot sustain such a beating for long.

Noha announces on the com-link, "I could use assistance with the eight legged one."

Irm replies, "How long you got?"

"Long enough."

Pulling away from the enormous limb, Noha arcs Atmos across the edge of the Invaders body, attempting to keep as much space as possible between his mech, and those battering ram extensions. As soon as the mech is even with the creature's horizontal body, however, it begins to spin, like a colossal windmill, resplendent with towers for spokes. Knowing he cannot get enough distance to avoid their length, Noha flies closer.

Brigit asks, "Noha, should I be worried?"

"Yes"

"Oh."

Cutting an s-shaped pattern between the legs, Noha takes the opportunity of his next swerve to fly across the leg, and over to the other side of the body. Then, finally cleared of the smashing assault, Noha opens fire. Chunks of the Invader's carapace fly off, and what look like large flakes are blasted aside, as WISP bursts rain down across the Invader's body. But that's all. There is no reaction from the creature.

Noha takes notice. "This must be its topside. There's too much shell here. We have to go back around."

Brigit asks, "Should we not wait on Kazahara?"

"Of course not. He could die on the way. Then we'd wait forever."

"I hate when you're gloom."

"I'm a realist. This is war. You never seem to appreciate that fact."

Brigit makes a sound, which is rather remarkably like a sigh.

Atmos cuts a quick path to the edge of the creature's back, and arching across the side, the leg sweep resumes. Noha, anticipating this, is already dodging, and manages to keep ahead of the first attack quite easily, even releasing a hail of WISP. The scarlet flashes burst along the side of the nearest appendage, thudding more than exploding, but clearly showing more of a result than was present elsewhere.

The blue and gold of Grungust buzzes by, and the Invader responds by turning itself for better reach.

"You look worse for wear. What'd I miss?" Irm chimes in.

"The other side is too protected. We have to head underneath. You'll have to get in close. I'll keep its legs busy."

"You're the distraction? I like this plan."

"Just hurry."

Noha is able to pull a little wider, as the Invader anticipates Irm's attack, and moves defensively. Releasing a continuing assault, the Invader returns its attention to Atmos, and splits its legs, alternating them up and down, attempting to give Noha no room in which to avoid the attacks.

Beam blades exposed, Atmos remains close, accepting the occasional glancing blow in order to keep carving slices of the creature away. "We have recovered enough that we can maintain this pace for some time", Brigit announces.

Suddenly, the creature writhes, and spasms, one limb knocking Atmos into a momentary spin. "Correction: we cannot maintain this pace for such a length of time", Brigit remarks.

On the com-link, Irm shouts, "Hah! Take that monster! Now, who you lookin' at, me or the little one?"

Noha gathers control, and releases a quick barrage of WISP, as the Invader is pivoting away from Atmos. Sweeping in to the continue the fight, Noha easily dodges the following clumsy retaliation. Finding no need to stay too near the Invader at this point, Noha maintains some range, avoiding the farther tips and extensions of the Invader's reach, and releasing WISP continually. Scarlet flares thud, and pop, and billow pieces of the Invader away. As the Invader twists to attack Noha, the com-link squawks to life.

Irm shouts, "Keito Ragouken! Calamity Sword!"

The Invader continues twisting, but Noha easily avoids the attack. Slowly, as the Invader gyrates in the empty space, its spasms begin to cease, and the golden streak of the Grungust can be seen continuing onward.

"I think we're done with this one", Irm announces.

"We'll find more", Noha replies.

Noha flies on, returning to his previous post.

Archived