World of Darkness: Attrition - A Fortuitous Moon [Complete]

Vienne Carreau

Vienne tapped 486-8769 (‘HUNT ROX’) into Raph’s mobile phone. Two hours till shift start. A girl’s gotta have some fun. She found this number in one of the celeb-stalking tabloids at the front desk at work. She had to read the crap laying around to survive the three hours of dullness that was her existence on the clock.

She pressed ‘DIAL’.

"You know the dealio, leave the low-down at the ding-dong. Hasta!" DING!

Vienne blinked.

Laying it on thick, using her old Parisian accent, Vienne left him a message.

“Hello, Lucien. This is Vienne from Westwood. We met at a party a few months ago. You probably don’t remember me, but I heard you never forget a face. If you’re in town this weekend, come find me at the Ritual on N Cajuenga and I’ll buy you a drink.”

Of course, she had never met him. With a naughty little smile she hung up and beamed at Raph. He sighed at what he believed was positively the most radiant person in the world.

“Get me a drink, would you kitten?” Vienne patted his cheek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FRIDAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Vienne waited curiously at The Ritual, because you just never know who might show up. Raph was nowhere to be seen. Somehow she had managed to convince him that she was being smothered and would leave him if he didn’t give her some peace this weekend. She wasn’t lying. He was a good boy, as usual. She’d have to give him a reward tomorrow for behaving himself.

There were some of the college crowd around, as was to be expected. Winning them over was a science by now: Play some pool, buy the beer, a few Kevin Smith film quotes and you're in. There were five of them just arrived so far, but the night was young. Vienne scrutinized tonight's menu. Gay, gay, engaged, with a date, and hoping to score with his friend's date. Nope, nothing enticing.

The Ritual was a bit noisy, the music was a hodgepodge to suit all tastes and there was already a line of people flooding in despite it just opening. A waterfall cascaded elegantly along the wall behind her seat. Blue light illuminated it creating a moonlight atmosphere and watery shadows. The two dance floors were empty as yet.

At least here she didn’t have to keep up the pretense of flushed living features. In the colourful artificial light ambience there was no way to tell. The Ritual wasn’t the best place in LA, but it was affordable and at least there was always bottle service for an extra $400 if you wanted to go swank. That always helped along a particularly smooth seduction. He’d better be worth it.

A not-so-hunky waiter approached and asked for her order. She smiled a toothy, white-toothed smile at the waiter that said she was very pleased to do so. He had wandering eyes, but then, who could blame him? Tonight, Vienne was dressed to kill. Her dark locks were slicked back at the hairline and her makeup immaculately applied to accentuate her eyes and lips. She wore a tight stretchy red party dress that came to her mid-thigh, hose and chunky red heels she’d never have dared to walk in if she were mortal.

“A bloody mary. Hold the celery.” As he turned to leave, Vienne glared. Something about this place annoyed her. Maybe she should have gone somewhere else.

Crossing the threshold of The Ritual's doors was the easy part. When Lucien had 'accidentally' left his cell number on the public forum for Morgan to contact him he'd been swarmed with voice mails. He expected that much at least and, just to amuse himself, he listened to every single one.

So why did this one stand out among them all? Sure it sounded legit, and sure he'd been at a party a few months ago, but the name didn't ring a bell at with him and lately his memory was exceptionally keen. Her voice nothing short of angelic even of the phone, so Lucien decided that meeting this lovely Parisian sure couldn't hurt. That would be rude.

Casually he moved about the place. If he never forgot a face she should pop into view any moment now. Passing through the crowds the young Warlock caught the stares of about everyone he walked past. A few ladies rubbed thier hands down the lapels of his jacket inviting him off for a drink. Politely he refused and moved on.

Gray was the color of choice tonight, fresh from the board room as well it would seem. Sleek gray slacks and a matching jacket accompanied by a collared light blueish-gray shirt and a matching striped tie.

Now my Angel, to where have you flown? he asked himself.

Vienne waved at the welcome sight of someone worthy of looking at. Remembering her accent, she scooted over and patted the seat beside her, "Ici -here, mon cher." She smiled a close-mouthed smile of a woman who has found chocolate in man form.

We all deserve our creature comforts now and again.

Lucien approached, "Ahh, you must be Vienne. Pleasure to meet you." He sat and smiled politely. "Thank you for inviting me out."

Vienne greeted him as he sat with a kiss on the cheek. "It's good to see you again. We didn't have much time to talk before." She looked through her lashes prettily at him.

He came. He actually came.

Never had a doubt, she lied to herself.

Adrian wasn't dressed his best. In fact, he looked like what he was, a wealthy man who dressed from an overnight bag. His Black leather jacket didn't have its perfect, just out of the closet, sheen. His dark grey slacks didn't have that crisp quality, and his t-shirt was a black with 'Punting Wombats' in red. Still, he had some of those qualities that marked him as one of the wealthy. His watch was custom Christian Bernard, his money clip had crips $100's, and his keys were for a Jag.

Adrian knew he wasn't dressed enough for this place, but he wasn't hunting here tonight. With the press of the people, it had just the air of desperation he was used to and his beast whispered to him about hunger and delight. Adrian pressed on. He moved around so he could get a good look at his place and he spotted one of the few special people he was looking for almost right away.

Vienne - dressed to deliver the Kiss, no doubt about it. Only the dire need of the matter at hand led him to approach her when she was probably so close to her goal. Only as he approached the table did it occur to him that maybe she was toying with her Herd in some way and not in it for the immediate bliss of Blood.

As he came closer, he felt the familiar urge of his beast feeling the presence of her stronger essence. He wanted to veer off and avoid interacting with the stronger Monster, but need drove him on.

He walked up and looked down at Vienne before speaking. It was a game to be played before the world before he could take her into the shadows and gain her counsel.

"Hello Veinne. I'm Adrian, remember?"

Of course she would remember. They had just spoken last night. With those words out of his mouth, Adrian took in the rest of the table, to judge the distraction.

Rip out my Heart Blood! Its Lucien Hunt!

"Hello, Mr. Hunt," Adrian said calmly. "Its a pleasure to meet you as well."

Vienne looked up, sensing before seeing the approach of another. Ahh.

"If it isn't my lucky night?" She knew Adrian would have the sensibility to keep silent about her unusual Parisian accent, which only the night before was non-existent. "Please, join us, Adrian."

She gestured to the empty space on her other side. Maybe it will encourage Lucien to keep up his enthusiasm having a rival present?

"Have you two met before?"

Do I tell him I'm Cresent Sun? Naw, better not."

"Introductions are hardly necessary, Lucien Hunt. You are famous. I don't mean to tred on your valuable time here, but I need a few private moments with Vienne here. I promise I won't be long."

He tries to keep his voice cool, but there is some strain to it. This is another complication in a night of complications and he needs Vienne's considerable social talents aimed toward his goal, and not distracted with a man who may belong to another of their kind.

Popular lady.

Lucien pursed his lips and tried to hold a smile. He lowered his hand, obviously this guy wasn't in the mood for pleasantries. "Well, I'll uh, just go get a drink then, I suppose."

He nodded to the lovely scarlet clad beauty. "If you'll excuse me." He walked away, smiling to the few that noticed him and even stopping to accept a number on the way to the bar. Ever the gentleman, he remained all smiles.

Vienne puzzled over Adrian for a moment. In truth, she didn't know him very much at all. She ran into once and then last night. It's nice to know who one's neighbors are.

Normally, she'd think What a cock-blocker except that he was never really excited about their association and she didn't have the right equipment.

However, this change in approach concerned her. Something was clearly not right. Last night he couldn't get rid of her fast enough and now he needed to talk. Now, of all times? Her eyes lingered on Lucien Hunt's departing form, but her words were for Adrian.

"Don't let me stop you."

Adrian watched Lucien walk away as well. As the Magus moves into the crowd, he reaches into his chest pocket, fumbles with something, and pulls out too cut pieces of paper.

"Sorry for interfering with your ... exercise, but I have something to ask of you and some information."

He pushes two pictures over to her. One is a well dressed man, with an oily appearance, long black hair pulled back, and a goatee. The other is that of a Mazda sports car, including a blow up of it's liscence plate.

Adrian takes a breath, which strikes Vienne as a very unnecessary gesture for one of his nature.

"This man is a really bad character operating in your area. He's a were and he's eating people. He's left a trail I could follow and its only a matter of time before he brings about attention that our kind doesn't want. I need you help in locating him."

Breath exhaled.

"The piece of information for you is that I believe your ... friend over there is attached to another kindred. I'm not sure about this, but I know she has been with him before. The vampire in question is Sarah, the female kindred you saw me with last night. She is a Dead Wolf and not associated with any other factions in the city, but she has her own power and her own sources of ... influence."

"He's a really special guy. I've talked to him before on CalNet. He's funny as all hell, and, how do I say it - playful?"

"Anyway, can you help me?"

Vienne listened in a sort of fugue state. Words like were and Dead Wolf and what might have been a friendly warning or possibly a veiled threat. She wasn't sure what those terms were about, but she played along. All would become clear in time.

"I'm not sure who this guy is you're looking for." In her normal accent she bombarded Adrian with questions. "Is he a regular in Westwood? Is there a particular hangout he favors? 'My area' might span the whole of Hollywood and I keep a random pattern."

You get all sorts here, upper & lower class, greasy and smooth. "What places would I have found him? If he was a face in a crowd I probably wouldn't have thought much of it unless something drew attention to him."

Vienne found herself genuinely wanting to help. Someone wanted her help. It was a pleasant revelation and an opportunity she didn't want to miss out on. Having only mortals for company could be so... wearing on one's perceptions.

"I'll do what I can. Perhaps I can arrange to meet him? A 'honey trap'? What is his name?"

She had dismissed the warning about Lucien as payment received in return for services rendered. So he came, perhaps his paramour sent him or she doesn't know he's here. Either way, a thrall would never do such and she just didn't want to think about Lucien Hunt as Sarah's ghoul. She would proceed carefully with him from here forward.

She felt awfully rude just the same, Adrian's intrusion having driven him off for a few minutes.

"We don't know his name. We don't know his exact patterns. What we do know is that he is very, very dangerous. Do not confront this guy alone."

Adrian makes a tentative reach across the table but stops himself.

"He will kill you," he says urgently.

Adrian hands her a card with a number on one side and Adrian Moss on the other.

"I'm sorry I can't tell you more now, but its complicated. Can I count on your help? I'll owe you big time."

He spares a glance to were Lucien has settled down momentarily.

"I apologize for making this so rushed, but it seems we are both a bit time sensitive this evening."

Vienne considered for a moment how best to approach the situation.

"I'll make a circuit of the Strip and see if I can find him, but there are a lot of people here. Finding someone who might have seen him might be easier. Bartenders tend to remember faces. And doormen." Simple and decisive as that, she committed herself. "There are other places I frequent not in this immediate area, but close by. Would you like me to check there as well?"

China Town's Red Light District. As popular a place for making people disappear if ever there was.

It occurred to her that Lucien was not entirely impressed with the unsociable turn of events. "If you don't mind, I'm being rude. I shouldn't ignore my guest."

"I will consider your words with due attention." Her attention span, however, stopped at sublimely turned-out Slab-of-Male. Hunger now nagged at her and her pupils were dilated as though she'd been freebasing Strychnine.

Could she do this?

It's a free city...

"Of course," Adrian demurred with a hint of a grin. He was belatedly beginning to appreciate other appetites as well. He got up and bowed once slightly, turned and was gone. There were other kindred to meet and pass the word around too. None were as active as Vienne, but he had to cover his bases.

Adrian considered going over and apologizing to Hunt, but that woud be too awkward. Best to simply get away from him and what he would consider to be a good time. He made his way out of the club and under the light of a waning moon turned a dirty red by the smog of the city.

Slowly Lucien approached the table once more. His eyes trailed the mysterious man as he left. "My, aren't you popular." He said with the polite rudeness that only society's elite could pull off with any measure of eloquence. "Should I sit, or can you not spare the time? We can always reschedule if you have to much on your plate."

Wht was left in the glass he was carrying was downed in a single gulp. An air of arrogance washed over him, this was the social bulldog he was raised to be. The no nonsense, always in control, the seas part for Hunt's center of attention. She invited him, and she allowed him to be simply swept away he held her just accountable as he did Adrian. One he could deal with now, the other would have to wait.

"For one so lovely as yourself I would certainly endeavor to keep my schedule clear." He smiled politely.

Graciously Lucien took seat, again. "I just had one, but thank you anyway. Hate to lose my charm and wit so early in the evening."

Quote:
Aura Perception: Mind ●, Prime ● (1 success)

Faintly Vienne's aura became visible to the young Warlock. Same as Sarah. He thought to himself. Yet, different in some way. Okay, feminine for starters, but her mannerisims. She must be one of the other 'breeds' of vampires. Ugh, what did Sarah call them?

"So, Vienne," He smiled, sincerely trying to make amends for his behavior but seemed both of them were irritated. She at the man who just left, and Lucien, well, at the entire situation. Something wasn't right here. "Where was it you said we met?"

Vienne frowned, it was a sweet red pout just the same, but a tad sulky. Adrian had told her this guy is "attached" to Sarah and Vienne wasn't in the habit of making her life difficult close to home.

Lucien was not at all as expected. He somehow seemed to see through her.

"I'll drop the act," she said in her normal American accent. Only the smallest hint of French accent were audible and then, only if sought. "I am indeed Vienne, and our friend who just left there has told me with rather good timing, or bad timing depending on how you prefer it, that you are close to friend Sarah."

"I had not realized that and had hoped to cure an otherwise dull evening with your company after discovering your number on CalNet... But the situation has changed in lieu of this information." There was no way she was about to admit to reading tabloids.

Something about her mannerisms had altered. Her posture transformed into something less deliberate and flirtatious, more natural of poise. She stopped looking at him the way men wanted her to look at them. Her illusion began to crumble. The pretty thing sitting before Lucien was some sort of social chameleon, a predator.

"I do wish things had been different, but I did not realize. Are you in on Adrian's little man-eater investigation with Declan and Sarah as well?" She bluffed to find out for herself if the two who had been in Adrian's company not long before might be involved. She rolled Adrian's card between her fingers. What could an underwear model possibly contribute to the situation? He seemed a bit refined for Sarah, but there you go. Opposites attract and all that.

At any rate, Vienne wanted to see how far their little social network extended. She might accidentally end up preying on one of their number ...again.

It sure was a lot to take in. Vienne was sexy in a to-die-for sort of way and even though her story was a little a weak starting off Lucien was fully prepared to offer the gorgeous woman the benefit of the doubt. That was, until, she leapt over the table and hit him with a sledge hammer of information. His mind reeled for a moment as he tried to process everything she just said.

"Sarah? Man-eater?" He skipped over the part where she lured him here and it was intentional. So she lied, big deal? Welcome to reality. He and she could settle that up later, what was important now was that his friend's name was mentioned in the middle of something that sounded dangerous. "Vienne, tell me what's going on," he paused for a moment looking into her predatory, lust filled eyes. "I think I'll take that drink now."

"You don't know about the investigation?" Vienne ordered 'Something quick, I don't care what' from the bar. It came out a banana daquiri with a huge chunk of pineapple and a cherry on top with an umbrella and a red crazy straw.

She set it in front of Lucien with a little embarrassed smile.

"I, uh, don't know how much you already are aware of. Depending on what Sarah's already told you, I have to be careful what I say. First, please tell me..." she leaned forward and lowered her voice a little; "How much has she told you about Adrian's investigation? I've just been recruited." She slipped Adrians' card into Lucien's hand.

"No one's told me anything about any investigation." When his drink arrived he really didn't notice that it seemed a bit 'girlie' for the fisrt few sips when he finally noticed the crazy straw. His expression took a turn down confusion avenue as looked to the drink, to Vienne, and finally shook his head like he didn't car either way. It had alcohol and that was enough for now. "Next time, let me get the drinks."

"Forget being careful about what you say Vienne." He spoke to her and used her name like he'd known her for years. "My friend may be danger, tell me what you know."

Vienne melted. Why'd he have to be taken by another kindred? It just seemed so unfair...yet, strangely fateful they should end up together like this.

"Yes, well... Sarah's probably capable of protecting Sarah just fine. Adrian's trying to find someone related to one of his investigations. I may be wrong in this, but I think Sarah and Declan are a part of that investigation." Vienne pouted a little forlornly.

"For purposes of my own preservation, unless you can tell me something of the nature of Sarah, I cannot go any further with my secrets. If she keeps you in the dark, so must I."

Code:
Majesty 2: Revelation 
(Attempts to get information and make him more pliant).

(Vienne_Carreau) rolls 7d10 and gets 7,5,2,8,4,5,5.
(Vienne_Carreau) rolls 2d10 and gets 9,7.

2 successes

Vienne reached forward and toyed playfully with his collar, a longing in her depthless dark eyes that spoke of a void of loneliness that must be filled. The pretend-hesitant way she reached out seemed to request his permission. Her touches on his collar were light and nearly ready to be taken away again at any sign of reluctance on his part. She was so very pale, the artificial light seemed unnatural over her.

"She did tell you about herself, didn't she?" Vienne posed a question that might make matters difficult between them if Sarah hadn't, but she just couldn't stop herself. It gave her an excuse to flirt with someone who used her name like that. The Beast inside rose from its near-slumber. It was always there underneath, but now it was visible in her eyes.

Code:
Resisting with Composure + Gnosis
3d10 (9,7,10(3))
2 successes

He never felt it. He could have, but Lucien Hunt was still to new to the world of darkness and shadows to know that vampires were capable of feats of mental manipulation. Without the benefits of his Third Eye being opened to the mental fluctuations of the Supernal Realm Vienne's vampiric trick slid silently under his arcane radar.

"If you referring to her being," He lowered his voice a bit, taking a moment to revel in all the cloak and dagger fun times he's found himself involved in recently. "Kindred, then yes, I know."

It was time to play a hunch. "Just as I know you're the same." He couldn't back that claim up at all, but he figured it was worth a shot.

She didn't have to, but she sighed in relief just the same. It was all too lovely, this rising tide of hunger and the comfort of sporting company. A small hint of her native accent permeated her words unaffected as she started to grow restless. "So you do know." Her voice had changed to a more breathy coquette. It was a second-nature act. "And yet you do not shrink away. What are you to her?" Her eyes trailed his contours, afraid the intensity of them might cool him off and he was so, so warm. She could feel it from where she sat.

Through the haze, she was suspicious of the prospect that Lucien Hunt might be Sarah's ghoul. Taking pleasure in someone else's playthings was one thing. But who could say how many Sarah had? A ghoul was entirely different territory. There was perhaps a way to tell, however. A very, very tempting way... she pulled her eyes away. The sound of his heart beating hypnotic in her ears, she clenched her teeth. The ghost of it echoed within her, a memory of what it had been like to feel her own beat along with rhythms. There were so very, many smells right at that moment, but the prevalent smell that lulled her nearer was the scent of a spiciness, a subtle cologne which mingled ever so delightfully with his own scent.

She was starting to forget why she brought up Adrian's investigation at all. She could stop breathing in, she could close her eyes, but she couldn't shut off her ears and this guy had no idea that he was practically encouraging her to have a sip or two.

Focus. Her vision blurred and then clarified. "She and I are not...the same," she seemed to be pulled toward Lucien. "Not exactly." It's always like this at first, you can handle it. It no longer seemed to overwhelm her, but she didn't pull back. He's probably used to this.

Like a serpent she continued to slither closer and closer. Her words were dipped in honey and Lucien slowly found himself lost in the sensual air that hung heavy in the air round this woman.

"What am I to Sarah?" Lucien quirked an eyebrow at her as he repeated the question. "We're friends. She's a wonderful woman, cute dimples too." He smiled at the reminder of his and her personal joke.

For a moment she seemed lost in his words. The way she looked at him with hunger in her eyes, how she moved in with her seductive stare and captivating grin. When she mentioned that they, she and Sarah, were nothing a like Lucien had to grin. No kidding.

"You're proficiency with understatement is astounding." He mused with her.

Vienne was not behaving herself. Lucien's words snapped her out of her happy reverie she was weaving around them. She came back to herself as quickly as if she'd been thrown in a trough of cold water or slapped. Talk about a mood killer.

"You're right. I'm embarrassing myself. You're hers." She straightened up and smoothed a stray lock of hair out of her face, behind her ear. Vienne really had no concept of vessels as more than property to the vampire that entertained themself with them. "The principle works in reverse for me. The more your kind drink, the sillier you act. The less I drink, the ...well, you get the picture." She might have blushed had she been alive.

"Yes... back to the investigation. I digress so easily you see. A bit of a weakness of the blood." She smiled weakly in the eyes only at her private joke. She wouldn't look at him. Right after this, she would need to feed. Whoever it was wouldn't know what hit them. For now she felt like she was caught, somehow. Being far too obvious.

"A foolish disposition, nothing to worry about. Not that you seem worried." She then looked at Lucien with curiosity and suspicion plain in her dark eyes.

She pressed on, describing the man she was asked to search for, what she did know. She didn't mention much of the details of what he is, instead insinuating he is more than dangerous. "We just need to know where he has been seen in the area. I'm going to see what I may find. Does this person sound familiar to you?" She pretended she had her composure in check.

"I'm no ones." Lucien said. "Sarah and I are friends, and if you're implying in someway that I belong to her, your gravely mistaken. She and I are equals." It came out a lot harsher than he intended it, but his ego wouldn't permit him to accept that he was just a juice box for Sarah. He was more than that to her... wasn't he?

As she described the man Lucien's gaze locked on hers. The eyes are the gateway to the soul, they say and as she recalled the image of the man in her mind for the recitation of description, the young Mage simply dipped his Third Eye into her mind and stole the picture of him for himself. Nothing more, he promised himself, but he had to admit it was sure tempting to peek around and find out more about this gorgeous woman who called her self Vienne.

"Sound familiar?" He asked. "No, sorry." With the image freshly imprinted in his mind Lucien relaxed his thoughts and drew in focus. There in the confines of his mind and image, like a dream, formed and played in real time. The man in the photo moved through a hallway. It was dark and damp with refuse cluttered among the edges, kicked aside by those who past though before him. Cold, dismal florecent lights were all that provided illumination and all they did was seem to drain the soul the longer to looked at them.

He stolled past a wall of mail boxes that was common for apartment buildings. He opened the box labeled '402' but it didnt' have his name scrawled anywhere on it. Empty, he shut it and left the building. He looked about, his features covered by the shadows of the night and Lucien used the opportunity to look about himself and see what he could see.

The Mage let his perceptions slip back into reality and into the here and now. His gaze met hers once more. "But, I can tell you where he is..."

Vienne flinched slightly at Lucien's proclaimation of freedom. Ah, right. She was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable now. Things were fun before, but were rapidly cooling. She was also very hungry and he didn't understand the way unspoken boundaries operated with Kindred. You had to assume the worst about others in the vicinity. She opted not to mention the other again. It was probably for the best. At least now she knew.

Later in their conversation she was given yet another cold shock of reality she found rather more welcome.

"You aren't familiar with him, yet you know where he is?" She looked around to make sure they didn't have any spectators. There was no one. He wasn't wearing an earpiece. No, they weren't being eavesdropped on. Perhaps she'd been careless.

"Adrian's number is on that card, I..." she stood up and slipped out from behind the booth, grabbing her purse. "It was wonderful meeting you." She wondered if this were some kind of game. He wasn't afraid of her. How? Why? Didn't he know what she could do to him? Couldn't he tell she's starving and he's the buffet?

She left in a fugue, wondering if she'd made the right decision tonight in talking to Lucien Hunt. She left her moped and walked off down N Cajuenga to Hollywood Blvd. She'd probably be mistaken for a prostitute on that particular street, she realized dismally as she walked. The scuzzy sort pick them up. She turned down Cosmo almost immediately and phoned Raph's room to come pick her up. His blood was far more preferable to some scummy lech trying to buy himself a BJ in downtown Hollywood.

She huddled there trying to sort her brain out while she waited. God help the person who tries to mug me tonight.

Was that, fear? Lucien wondered, sipping his drink with all the machismo he could summon through the end of a crazy straw. He turned the card over in his fingers a few times before looking at the number. "Adrian's number is on that card" Her seductive voice replayed in his mind.

"And?" Lucien said aloud to the specter of Vienne's memory. "Maior risus, acrior ensis."*

He tucked the card into his jacket and moments later he was speeding down the road. His thumb pressed a small button on the steering wheel and his Razr lit up in it's cradle upon the console. "Call Sarah." He said as the little light on the bluetooth head set activated.

"What the hell is going on?" he asked to no one particular while he waited to connect.

Code:
*The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife.

The phone rang as she was sitting in a computer lab, patiently waiting for someone - anyone - to leave a workstation without logging off. An eyebrow crept up in surprise as she flipped the thing open.

"Lucien? What's wrong? You OK?" Only after the words were out of her mouth did she realize just how paranoid they may have sounded to the Underwear King of L.A.

"Am I okay?" He asked, as his voice bordered on worry, paranoia, fear, and irritation. Although it mingled all these aspects Lucien still seemed very much in control, or at least, was hiding it incredibly well. "Oh, I don't know, I just met another vampire who think I'm your 'bitch', that's looking for a killer at the request of some other guy whose got all the social graces of Genghis Khan and to top it all off she informs me that you're in the middle of it too."

Swearing was starting to become an easy habit for Lucien. The things that had recently been opening his mind were certainly the sort of things that cause man to swear first and ask questions later. "What the hell is going on?"

"Whoa... another le-, er, someone who thinks you're my what?!? And someone like Ghengis Khan who..."

She paused, looking up to see half a dozen students staring at her.

"You know what? This isn't good over a phone. I'm coming over." Snapping the phone shut before disagreement could be voiced, Sarah gathered herself up and stormed out of the lab to the general if largely subconscious relief of all present.

It wasn't ten minutes before she was buzzing his front door.

The sleek Italian beast silently prowled into the driveway as Sarah was knocking. Rosalind was at the door in just a few moments just as Lucien was walking up the steps.

"Can I-" The Colombian answered the door politley.

"Nope, thanks Roz, got it from here, take the night off, buh-bye now." Lucien said all in one breath while taking Sarah's and hastily marching indoors, up the stairs and to the 'Axe Room', where he kept all his guitars in their display cases.

Rosalind shrugged, confused. "That girl must be the best sex ever for a man to move like that." She grinned. "I'll just have to ask her." With that she shrugged once more blowing off the event as typical strangeness and took the rest of the night off.

The door closed to the Axe room and Lucien had his back against it like a cartoon rabbit being hunted. "You first." He said.

The consternation in Sarah's glare was one of those strange paradoxes that emotion inflicted upon the physical world: hot enough to sear flesh, yet cold enough to freeze blood. Isaac Newton would have been furious.

"First things first," she all but hissed in a dangerously level tone. "Who the fuck is this leech who says I have you on a fucking leash? Because last time I checked, I haven't fed you a goddamned drop, and I don't plan to do so."

"Vienne." Lucien said flatly. "She was met by some guy named Adrian, talk about a social recluse." He added.

The millionaire playboy walked away from the door over to the closet, in which there was a mini fridge. He cracked the tab on a Cherry Coke. "Fed me a drop?" He asked. "A drop of what? Blood? Please tell me it's not blood, that'd be so gross." He realized suddenly tha he was in the presence of his friend whose diet consisted solely on the rich red fluid. Mentally he chastised himself for being so insincere. "Sorry..." he apologized, rather embarrassed.

Sarah was still angry - angrier, in fact, at mention of how the shadow and succubus had managed to twiddle their fingers around in her business - but the look of abject confusion and embarrassment on Lucien's face made it clear that what he needed now was not a raging Sarah-monster.

Forcibly calming herself, she tried to explain.

"Yeah... sorta... no, not quite." Well, if that wasn't confusing as all hell, girl. She sighed, and tried again. "The stuff in me isn't exactly blood anymore. Leeches - vampires - call it 'vitae'. Yeah, with all that implies; it's life for us. It keeps us going. It lets me get all rosy-cheeked when I have to. It's what lets me release my inner wolf - or what I can of it for now - when I have to. And it's a drug."

She looked Lucien hard in the eyes. "See, vitae's mystical. Addictive as all fuck for starters for reasons that make no damned medical sense. But the real catch is that drinking the stuff doesn't just hook you on the drug; it hooks you on the supplier." With one sharp claw tip that suddenly came into being, Sarah made the slightest incision in her wrist, drawing forth a gleaming drop of her precious stolen life. "If you did so much as taste this, I'd start looking pretty good in your eyes. Do it twice, and I'd be your best friend, your favored lover, your trusted confidant. Third time... and I'd be the only important thing that ever was or ever would be in your life; you'd be completely entralled to me."

Licking the slight cut, the undead thing closed the wound as if it was never there. "And it would all be a lie. That's why I don't put people in blood-bonds. It's fucking slavery, a mind rape that chucks free will right out the goddamned window. That's what the little fucking Daeva leech was implying."

Lucien approached the red maned woman and for a moment his own expression held a tinge of a predators taint. He gently wrapped his arm around the lovely vampire. "Shh," he silently whispered in her ear. "Calm down Sarah. You should take great solace in knowing that you've accomplished the first two steps with me with out a single drop. I'm here for you."

He filed the name 'Daeva' away for later.

He released her, gently to show that there was no reason, here in this place, for Sarah to worry. "Now, about this other business. The Man-Eater it was called?"

As if - or perhaps more than just "as if" - by magic, Lucien's efforts calmed Sarah from her anger. His words about the state of their relationship were reassuring in ways that gave her almost a memory of warmth.

Then he moved into business... and so did she.

"Oh hells, the man-eater." She sighed. "A lupine. At least, I think it's a lupine; we're still trying to confirm it. Serial murderer with a taste for his victims. If it really is a furry, it took a dozen shits in a row all over the oath it's supposed to hold to. Eating the flesh of man is a non-fucking-starter."

"He didn't seem like the sociable sort, and he lives in a sty." Lucien said aloud. He didn't handle stress and unknown variables very well. When things started going in ways he had no plan for Lucien calm grip on everything he said and did started to slip, and sometimes he'd speak his thoughts aloud. "A real charmer."

He took a drink from his can of Coke and Sarah couldn't help but notice how awkward he looked enjoying the beverage like a 'regular Joe'. It needed a tall glass, some ice, and a gold straw. "And you're looking for him? Why? Isn't this a problem for the Lupines to handle?"

Eyebrows are not self-contained. They have no legs, are rooted to flesh, and possess no will of their own. Nonetheless, Lucien could have sworn that Sarah's were trying to climb right up off of her forehead, perhaps in preparation for sprouting wings and seeking out a better class of follicle.

"Lives in a... you know where this oath-breaking motherfucker lives?!? Holy shit, do you have any idea how much trouble you just saved us?!?"

It took a moment for the rest of the warlock's question to break through the shock and register; that was an altogether different subject, and the wayward eyebrows took root once more and began a slow-dance tangle as Sarah tried to figure out how to make her place in things clear.

"Well, you see, my, um, line of what I am sticks pretty tight with the lupines. A lot tighter than we do with the other vampires. We pretty much self-identify as part of werewolf culture. We join packs - when they'll accept us, anyway. So yeah, I'm working with them in trying to bring this damned thing in."

She smiled up at Lucien, and started to lean into his half-hug. He smelled good... hell, he smelled great, the intoxicating scent of his incredible manna-like blood almost oozing from him. Without thought, ivory fangs extended as she began to nuzzle toward her favored sweet spot...

...and stopped. What the hell am I doing? I fed tonight. Hell, I fed to the brim tonight. Why am I... And then the scent caught her once more, that tantalizing aroma of sweet bliss. Her fangs ached to sink into his soft flesh, her cold tongue and throat seemingly parched for lack of the amazing essence of his rich, life-giving blood. Without conscious effort she began to bite...

...and pulled back. What the fuck? I'm full, why am I losing control? Unless.... Sarah's own words from earlier in the night came back to haunt her, words about free will and the theft thereof. Oh, no. Oh hell, no.

Pulling out of Lucien's arms, she locked eyes with him, a troubled look plastered on her face and fangs still at the ready. "Lucien," she said with a tremble in her voice, "I think I may have a problem."

Archived