Adventure! RPG - Hmm. Well, we got The Wire, why not use it?

Kirby1024

That is the question.

Now, I'd love to get stuck in on this, but there is a teeny bit of a problem on this...

The Opnet Board you can do all that fun stuff with sniping and stuff, but of course, that kind of discourse isn't around in the 1930s. At least, not in that form...

So, I thought of an interesting way to "cheat convention", so to speak. How good are you guys at writing letters?

It allows for all the nummy goodness of arguing, just in a slightly more IC-friendly way. I dunno, just conversing like on the Opnet Board seems a little inappropriate to me on this board. And I expect that Tuesday at least would be diabolically good at Letter Writing (Not to mention her laser-sharp wit).

So, can we agree on the convention? If not, hey, we'll go with what works. This is just my take.

I was examining that very thought and trying to wrap my head around a workable convention to use. Not being cunning enough to come up with your letter writing idea I had decided I would think of it has much like notes tacked up on the smoking lounge bulletin board.

I kind of like the letter idea though.

When creating the wire, what I had in mind was a telegraph service capable of sending messages to offices across the world. I just thought that it would be an easy way for the Aeon Society to get information to it's members across the globe.

The style of messages should be completely different from those on the OpNet, but that is because of the varying styles of the games, not because of how the messages are delivered. If you can get into the mindset for the game, use the wire shouldn't be a problem. At least that's how I see it.

For a while, I thought that this format might be too limiting, since unlike the net, new people would have a hard time joining the discussion. But then I had this idea: The messages become part of the Aeon Society records, and are available to anyone who takes the effort to look. How does that sound?

Kirby, I think your post fits well.

Neovid, I think your idea could also be a good option for the wire, the fiction section, or if there is enough interest in it, a new section just for AS records.

• 1 month later...

Well, who's up for it? I already have two characters ready and willing, there must be other people ready to pop up. Give me a day or so and I'll make up a first post to get people into it, and see where it goes from there...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby1024:
Well, who's up for it? I already have two characters ready and willing, there must be other people ready to pop up. Give me a day or so and I'll make up a first post to get people into it, and see where it goes from there...

(puts her hand up) Me! Me! Me!... erm you already knew that right. :-)

I've already got one Adventure Character fully written up and am working on an another. Emily is written up in the Baby's first Adventure character thread... infact she's been there for ages. :-)

Becka

I have Alex's Great-Grandfather Lachlan "Locky" McKenzie, as well as the delightfully named Benjamin Abel ready. As I said, gimme a day to whip summink up (I could use a break from Who Am I?, I've been spinning wheels for two weeks on the next installment...), but if you want to start something yourself, certainly don't let me stop you...

Quote:
I have Alex's Great-Grandfather Lachlan "Locky" McKenzie, as well as the delightfully named Benjamin Abel ready. As I said, gimme a day to whip summink up (I could use a break from Who Am I?, I've been spinning wheels for two weeks on the next installment...), but if you want to start something yourself, certainly don't let me stop you...

I'll probably need about the same time unless lightning strikes and I suddenly get a great idea out of thin air.

Becka

By an amazing coincidence, I recently thought of a possible start for a thread that I meant to post. The only reason I've been reluctant is because I have little free time, and won't be able to do much followup posting in my own thread. But hey, why not try?

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoVid:
By an amazing coincidence, I recently thought of a possible start for a thread that I meant to post. The only reason I've been reluctant is because I have little free time, and won't be able to do much followup posting in my own thread. But hey, why not try?

I've replied to your post. I don't think either of us have the telegraph format down pat yet. wink

Ah, well, practice makes perfect.

Becka

Oh, telegraph format is easy. What you do is right down what you want to write, then go through it and shorten it as much as you can without losing the message. "the", "a" and many other words such as this are almost never found in telegraphs.

Easy laugh

Quote:
Oh, telegraph format is easy. What you do is right down what you want to write, then go through it and shorten it as much as you can without losing the message. "the", "a" and many other words such as this are almost never found in telegraphs.

Easy laugh

But I can't talk like Dr Pedantic that way! Or even use all those 1920's colloquialisms I found. Ah well.

Of course you can. You just have to reduce the amount of words in the colloquialisms, and occaisonally use really long words.

It's easy to be funny while being brief. Or, for that matter, it's easy to be funny while wearing briefs... laugh

Quote:
It's easy to be funny while being brief. Or, for that matter, it's easy to be funny while wearing briefs... laugh

BEcause they cut off the oxygen supply to your brain... wink Makes the slapstick stuff easier...

I think I'm in, once I work out a character idea...I'm kinda in a dry spell right now, it seems.

Archived