Aberrant: 200X - My New Project...

Miranda Skye

... is almost complete.

It's a short documentary - forty minutes and change. It's about a young woman named Rebecca Morris-King. A year ago she worked as a translator and interpreter at the United Nations, until an accident left her deaf and unable to perform her job.

Over the past year, Rebecca has reinvented herself as a teacher for the deaf. I became interested in her story earlier this year and I followed her around for two months conducting interviews. I feel downright humbled by the obstacles this woman has overcome and I will endeavor to never complain about having wings again.

The film is called 'Quiet Life,' and in honor of its subject matter it has absolutely no sound. There are subtitles where there need to be, but I've tried my best to make this a purely visual film - to put the viewer in Rebecca's shoes. It will be released for free to the OpNet when I'm done the final cut.

I hope you all enjoy it.

... is almost complete.

It's a short documentary - forty minutes and change. It's about a young woman named Rebecca Morris-King. A year ago she worked as a translator and interpreter at the United Nations, until an accident left her deaf and unable to perform her job.

Over the past year, Rebecca has reinvented herself as a teacher for the deaf. I became interested in her story earlier this year and I followed her around for two months conducting interviews. I feel downright humbled by the obstacles this woman has overcome and I will endeavor to never complain about having wings again.

The film is called 'Quiet Life,' and in honor of its subject matter it has absolutely no sound. There are subtitles where there need to be, but I've tried my best to make this a purely visual film - to put the viewer in Rebecca's shoes. It will be released for free to the OpNet when I'm done the final cut.

I hope you all enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went ahead and looked up a little place here in NYC that was showing this. The film students like to have their all-night geek-a-thons there, and it wasn't hard to talk them into getting a copy.

I have to admit, I didn't expect much going in. I like my peace and quiet just as much as the next girl, but I wasn't sure I was willing to pay for what seemed like it would be a regular movie stuck on "Mute."

Once I got through the first few minutes, though, I was totally immersed in this family's life. Without being able to hear any dialogue or inflection or anything, I really had to pay attention to what I was seeing- the little affectionate touches, the way the corners of Rebecca's mouth would tighten sometimes when she was getting frustrated, how her husband tried not to flex his hands on-camera- things like that.

It was a pretty big reminder of the differences (and the similarities) between all of us, and that as fortunate as some of us have been, there are always others who have lost more than we can understand.

Bang-up job. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Archived