Adventure! RPG - Baby's First Adventure Character...

There's lots of good ideas here! Here's another one. My Adventure PC, Garret Winchester Carver.

Background:

Garret is the son of famous scientist/peanut mogul George Washington Carver. (NOTE: I have no idea if the real George Washington Carver had any kids, if he did, could someone clue me into their names?) Basically, Garret is a rich, whiny brat. Not the type to become a hero...so one day he's visiting his dad, when one of his dad's inventions screws up and accidentally exposes poor Garret to Z-waves. Whoops...now Garret is inspired, except something isn't quite right. Garret ahs no reason to go off adventuring. Fortunately, adventure has a habit of finding him. The forces of entropy conspire against him, and Garret must use his newfound abilities to get his ass out of trouble. In suffice, Garret adventures because he HAS to, not because he WANTS to.

What this means is that I have to use Inspiration on dramatic editing to constantly make accidents happen to me. Yeah!

Raw Stats:

Nature - Cynic. Origin - High Class. Inspiration - Dynamic. Allegiance - money.

Strength 2, Dexterity 4 (Athletics 3, Firearms 1, Martial Arts 2, Melee 3) Stamina 2 (Endurance 2, Resistance 2), Perception 2 (Awareness 2), Intelligence 2 (Academics 1), Wits 4 (Drive 3, Pilot 3), Appearance 3 (Style 3), Manipulation 3 (Savvy 4, Subterfuge 3), Charisma 3 (Etiquette 2, Rapport 1).

Backgrounds:

Followers 5, Resources 5, Cipher 3, Allies 1 (dear ol' dad), Reputation 2, Sanctum 4, Contacts 2.

Knacks: NONE! Garret relies solely on inspiration (and dramatic editing) to get his ass out of the fire.

Willpower 8, Inspiration 5, Intuitive 3, Reflective 1, Destructive 1.

D "Pai-yow!" W

Hey all. thanks for the info Avenger. I love Hunter S. Thompson a lot and have read many of his books and column collections. Great stuff. Spider Jerusalem is also one of my heroes. I alos agree about the Hearst thing. That's neither here nor there. Here are the stats and backstory for Jin Jiao-Ling. This character was made and played with an early version of the manuscript, so a lot of the Knacks he has are different in the final book or were cut out. Here we go.

Name: Jin Jiao-Ling/Glenn Frasier

Virtue/Vice: HotShot/Charmer

Strength 4 Dexterity 5 Stamina 4

-Might 2 -Athletics 4 -Endurance 1

-Martial Arts 5

-Melee 3

-Stealth 3

Perception 2 Intellignece Wits 3

-Awareness 3 -Academics 2

-Linguistics 2

-Medicine 1

-Survival 2

Appearance 3 Manip. 1 Charisma 3

-Intimidation 1

BAckgrounds: Cipher 3 (assumed dead as an infant, raised in mystic city that only appears every 10 years), Mentor 2 ( Sheng He-Ping, his master and foster-father, powerful but nigh-inaccessible), Nemesis 2 (his rival and fiancee Sheng Lien-Hua, love-hate relationship), and Resources 1 (has sevferal bits of jade from the mystic city)

Willpower: 6 Initiative: 9 Inspiration:2

-Innovative 1 -Destructive 1

Knacks:

-Level 1

-A Single Bound

-Sex Symbol (never uses this power consciously, it just effects those around him without his knowledge, indeed his complete ignorance. this was a lot of fun to play)

-Level 3

-Piledriver (this one is different now. In the pt, it doubled Strength for any damage doing action)

-With the Whirlwind (I think this one was cut out. It was 1 Inspiration for an action before all others in a round, one normal action, and one action after everyone else had gone)

Story: Glenn Frasier was five years old when his wealthy American parents decided to take a tour of the Orient. Becoming lost in the mountains of China, the Frasiers were attacked by vicious bandits. The Frasiers were able to hide young Glenn before being cut down by the bandits who rode off into the night. Several hours later, Sheng He-Ping came downt he trail. He had been out gathering herbs that could only be found outside the mystic city (I forget what the GM decided its name was) and was returning before it vanished for another 10 years. On the trip back he found the remains of the Frasiers and their vehicle. He also found young Glenn wandering about in a daze of hysteria and shock. He-Ping took pity of the child and took him back to the city, taking him in as a foster son. He-Ping taught Glenn, whom he named Jin Jiao-Ling or Golden Dragon Boy because of his blond hair, the culture of the city (think pre-Britian China) as well as his onw powerful kung-fu. Jin grew up with his master's daughter Lien-Hua as a rival, friend, and eventually as something more than a friend. His intense training resulted in his manifestation as a stalwart. On Jin's fifteenth birthday, his master announced that Jina nd Lien-Hua would marry at the upcoming Harvest Festival. However, at this time ten years had passed and the city re-appeared in the real world for one week. For unknown reasons, Lein-Hua left teh sity, only to return with Chinese Army deserters hungry to plunder the riches of the mystic city. The attack by Lien-Hua and the soldiers reached a climax with a vicious martial arts duel between Jin and Lien-Hua. Though the soldiers were driven away, the city was severely damaged and many killed or wounded. He-Ping was gravely wounded, though not in much fear of death. Lien-Hua fled the scene, vowing Jint hat she would defeat him someday and prove her superiority. After a few hours rest, Jin set out as well, to bring Lien-Hua back or at least try to understand why she betrayed the city, him, and her father. He wadered China, astonished by all the modern things he saw, and finally fell in with teh dubious company of one Dr. Aiden McCoy, who taught the young warrior English and introduced him to the fledgling AEON Society. In the company of other members, he now travels the world, righting wrongs, fighting evil, and looking for the girl he both loves and hates. (Classic pulp, baby.)

Jin is a virtous young man (He was 16 at teh time of our playtest), who loves a good fight more than anything. He tends to leap into situations without much consideration but also displays a firm and steady wit. He's very polite, too curious for his own good, and completely ignorant about and in awe of modern society (especially the seedier side of things). Concerned about others, he tries to be kind and understanding but this often just leads him to more trouble. In the test, we never got a chance for him to meet up with Lien-Hua again, but he has very complex feelings about her. He is angry at her betrayal, hurt by her rejection of him, excited at teh prospect of fighting her again (it was one of the best fights he has ever had), and still more than a little in love with her. The guy who ran the pt has been toying wiht running Adventure now that it's out and I hope he does. I would love to play this character again. I really enjoyed playing him. That's it for now. Comments? Anyone think I should re-generate him using the published rules? In any event, take care all, and have fun.

Hydra

• 3 weeks later...

My Character is :

(( For a More than complete idea of how he is like read DC Comics The WATCHMEN -

oh its great ))

Rorschach

gender male

nationality :doesnt know

Nature : virtue bravo - Vice Paragon

strenth 2/dex 3/stamina 2

percepton 4/intel. 3/wits 2

appear 3/manipu 2/charisma 1

brawl 1/might1

athletic 2/melee 4/stealth 2

endurance 2/resist 3

appear 1/ intimidation 3

BACKGROUNDS:

Allies - NITE OWL

backing - AEON SOCIETY

Gaget - Grapling gun ( made by nite owl)

Knacks Will power 8

-- Lie Detector Inspiration 5

-- One Man Army intitive 3

-- Death Defiance reflective 1

Destuctive 1

Inititive 10

• 6 months later...

Here's another addition to Æon's Sydney chapter: Resident Linguist, Benjamin Abel (Posting him up, cuz he's now a Wire character!). If you don't get the name joke, imagine what his name would be on a textbook...

Name: Benjamin Abel

Origin: Academic

Virtue/Vice: Explorer/Expert Linguist

Inspiration: Heroic (Instance: Training)

Attributes:

Strength 2, Dexterity 2, Stamina 3, Perception 4, Intelligence 4, Wits 3, Appearance 2, Manipulation 2, Charisma 3

Abilities:

Might 1, Athletics 2, Firearms 1, Stealth 1, Endurance 3, Resistance 1, Awareness 2, Investigation 3, Navigation 2, Academics 4 (Archaeology), Bureacracy 2, Linguistics 6, Science 3, Survival 3, Arts 1, Animal Handling 2, Command 1, Etiquette 2, Rapport 1

Backgrounds:

Allies 2, Backing 3, Cipher 1, Contacts 3, Followers 3, Influence 2, Reputation 1, Resources 2, Sanctum 2.

Willpower: 6

Inspiration: 4 (I1, R3)

Initiative: 5

Knacks: Jack of All Tongues (H)

Languages Known (Modern): Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hebrew, 3 Different African Languages (For the mo', Make them Modern Egyptian, Swahili & Bengali).

Languages Known (Ancient): Ancient Egyptian (Both Spoken and Heiroglypic), Latin, Classical Greek, Gaelic, Incan/Aztec.

Extended Backgrounds:

Backing is in Æon. Contacts and Allies include both Æon friends and friends in Academia. Followers are the ubiquitous lab assistants that follow him on every expedition (they change constantly, mostly because the majority freak out on his expeditions...). Influence and Reputation spring from his Linguistics capabilities. Sanctum is his Office/Library, which contains hundreds of books of dead languages and dialects that he just hasn't gotten around to reading yet. It also happens to be easily barricaded.

History:

Admittedly Lacking. The general concept is a Linguist who, because of his many talents, finds that a lot of archaeologist and explorers love him tagging along. Inevitably, the reality of Pulp archaeology/exploration means that there's always huge disasters waiting for these expeditions. On the plus side, Abel has learned Actual Ancient Egyptian by Mummies who have actually spoken it, Incan and Aztec from modern-day descendants in the Amazon, and has rubbings of hundreds of inscriptions. Whether it's because he's plain nuts or not, Abel always looks forward to the next expedition he goes on, because invariably, he gets to learn something new. Just last expedition, for instance, he learnt how exceed the normal human capacity for running on command...

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Kirby1024/Lee Deity ]

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Chance:
...blink...

There's an ÆON Chapter house in Sydney in the 1920's?

Were there people in Australia back in the 1920's?
:P

...ducking... wink

Oh haha. laugh There were plenty of people in Australia. If you had saud 1820s, I'd have agreed with the statement though. But 1920s there were plenty of people (how do you think we managed to rack up so many casualties in the Great War?)

• 1 month later...

Eh, this can't hurt, well here's my first Adventure character.

Name:Friedrich Dürer Origin:Foreigner Nationality:German(obvious) Inspiration:Heroic

Virtue:Cynic Vice:Perfectionist

Strength:2 Brawl:3

Dexterity:3 Firearms:1 Melee:3

Stamina:3 Endurance:2 Resistance:1

Perception:3 Awareness:3 Navigation:3

Intelligence:3 Academics:1 Engineering:3 Linguistics:2(French, German)

Wits:3 Drive:1 Pilot:4 Rapport:1

Appearance:2 Intimidation:1

Manipulation:2 Savvy:1

Charisma:3 Command:3 Etiquette:1

Knacks:One-Man Army,Barnstormer, Navigational Hazard

Backgrounds:

Allies:2, Contacts:1, Followers:2, Gadget:4, Mentor:1, Resources:5, Sanctum:3

Willpower:4, Inspiration 3(Intuitive:2, Destructive 1)

Dürer is a former officer in the German army, serving aboard the infamous Zeppelin 'luftschiff' during their raids on England.

After the war and restrictions placed on German Airships, he decided to come to America to make his fortune, and a make a Fortune he did. He became involved with Goodyear Zeppelins, working to design and build in addition to piloting the massive things, he eventually made enough to buy his own small Dirigible, which with the help of his Inspired friend and airship enthusiast Dr.Arturian, he enhanced to almost absurd proportions(4 dot gadget, in addition to serving as a two dot sanctum). He is now looking to make his way in the world.

For now he plans on making his living as a freelancer, selling the servicesw of his ship and crew(his Followers) to those who can pay his fees, or, if he's feeling nice, just need the help.

Archived