Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 1: What tales can the dead tell?

Mr Fox

"Right, bubble bath. I can arrange that. Say the middle of the compound? I'll charge admission and rake in a tidy profit..." Fox grinned at Violet.

"I'd say we talk to Susan a little further when we get back to the base and make some arrangements for increased defense. I think it might be time to invest in some larger guns. Specifically, I think I need to make a foray to acquire a few mini-guns, and set them up around the perimeter. That should take care of any approaching gunships pretty nicely. Won't do much against attack bombers or stealth fighters, but then we'd be sitting ducks against them no matter what weapons we had."

He pauses to catch his breath and continues, "After that I think we should fly out to check out that base. Unless they were were watching just now they won't suspect anyone to be coming to them. I think the are likely to figure they got everything and didn't leave any survivors. A week or two to fortify the Base shouldn't hurt. If anything it should make them less likely to expect visitors."

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
"Right, bubble bath. I can arrange that. Say the middle of the compound? I'll charge admission and rake in a tidy profit..." Fox grinned at Violet.

"Sounds intriguing. 70/30 cut to my favour and we have a deal.", Violet smiled at Fox and blinked at James with her left eye.

Addressing James, "And you could give me a good massage afterwards, Chief.", she said seductively.

Fox grins, "60/40. If it weren't for me you wouldn't have an audience, or a bath."

After a little while and some more banter later everyone arrives back at the base. Fox immediately calls a general assembly and explains that zombies aren't the only threat out there, there is still at least one group of humans that isn't above murder. He asks everyone to chip in and get some defenses up as quick as possible. When he is sure that everyone will do their part, he dismisses people to their tasks, but calls on the novas and professional soldiers of the base to attend a planning meeting in the HQ building. In the meeting he outlines the defenses that he wants to construct. He organizes the defenders into groups to go out and aquire the supplies needed to build the walls and towers where the guns will be placed.

Lastly, he asks the novas to stay a little longer and fills them in on all the details that they've discovered at the other base. He also has Susan go over her story again in as much detail as possible. "So, after we get the defenses in place, I plan to make a little trip to Virginia to check on this government research facility that may have something to do with research into the zombies. You are all welcome to stick around and help out with the defenses in whatever way you can, or accompany us on the trip."

Violet frowns at the prospect of leaving the base again. "Do I have to go with you? We barely returned and I haven't taken a shower yet.", she fiddled a bit with her hair to emphasis her point.

"Besides that I got a date tonight which I'm going to enjoy without this stupid stuff here.", she waved her hand at Fox and the other Novas.

"Can't we have a day off or something, Captain? Its sad enough to know that there are some creeps out there who are willing to kill us or anyone else... and for what? I hate this kind of double moral standards. We should enjoy what we got every once in a while. Get that stick outta your ass.", Violet exaggerated a lot articulating alot with her hands.

Fox grins, "60/40. If it weren't for me you wouldn't have an audience, or a bath."
James says,

"Oh, I'd say getting an audience would be easy."

...When he is sure that everyone will do their part, he dismisses people to their tasks, but calls on the novas and professional soldiers of the base to attend a planning meeting in the HQ building. In the meeting he outlines the defenses that he wants to construct. He organizes the defenders into groups to go out and acquire the supplies needed to build the walls and towers where the guns will be placed.
James plans his day around the idea of being free and clean (and present) for his date.

In response to Violet's statement he comments,

"Virginia is several days out before we start, maybe a week. There'll be lots of time for... ah... other things. It's not like we're leaving tonight."

(Much later, after the meeting)

James tells his followers that someone took in war helicopters and took out the entire base they'd visited. It wasn't lost on anyone that the level of force used would have taken out any of the other places they'd been at. James also tells them that the entire purpose of the event appeared to be fighting over the cure... which in his opinion meant that they were fighting for it to 'not' be used. He'd thus be going with Fox to Virginia, and he'd be meeting with some of the other novas regarding that off and on, including later that night.

Fox smiles at Violet knowing her well enough to understand her manner. "Take your time on the bath and no you don't have to accompany us to Virginia, but if you don't you'll be missing your favorite Captain and booking agent... who else is going to get you such a sweet deal on the profits for bathing in public?" He said it with a leering grin but was obviously joking.

(At the meeting)

"And thats going to be 70/30, because without me there wouldn't be any business in the first place.", she grinned jokingly back.

"So when are we leaving for Virginia?", she asked annoyed and added, "You guys will be absolutely lost without me anyways."

After the meeting she rounded up some of her personal belongings that she was willing to give away for Susan and her daughter. Then she prepared herself for an extensive evening with James putting on some nice lingerie and a matching negligé. A few minutes before 7 she ignited a few candles and some incence to enhance the mood. Smiling with anticipation she laid out a plan in her mind how to perfectly seduce James.

(as soon as James appears activate Seductive, Seductive Looks and the Voice)

Fox smiled again at Violet's grumbling and knew it was mostly an act. As for James, he was thinking to himself, poor sucker doesn't stand a chance. He'd known Violet long enough to know just how powerful her charms could be. He'd given her an awfully good deal on her business that she was running within the base after all. He just hoped James wouldn't be proposing marriage tomorrow and moping around dejected the next day. He chuckled to himself at the thought.

Later that night while James and Violet were becoming closer acquainted Fox spent the evening with his military personnel and outlined for them just what he wanted done about the defenses. They went out along the perimeter and planted stakes in the ground to indicate where the wall would be and where to place the guard towers. He also let them all know to be very alert for possible treachery. With only a little night left he collapsed in his own bed wishing he had his own massage for the briefest instant before sleep took him.

Violet is not to be seen during the next day.

Around midday Jennifer joins with Susan and her daughter making sure that they are taken care of. The watchful eye can tell that Jennifer must've had a long night or little sleep, losing her balance quickly and rubbing her temples every once in a while. Still she retained a blissful smile on her face throughout the day.

Fox smiles knowingly at James when he finds him. "James, you mind helping me out with retrieving some hardware? I know this military armory not too far away that should have just what we need to defend the base a bit better from zombie hordes or attack helicopters." He will also enlist the assistance of any of the other novas that are available.

James has been a little distracted, or smug(?), or perhaps just tired this morning. He says,

"Huh?"

Mentally James replays what Fox said and says,

"Sure. Always glad to help." Mentally he adds, *And to learn where an armory is as well.*

"When should we head out?"

The run south had been far less glamourous, but still essential. The brought back bags of cement, timber (two semi's worth) and some post hole digging equipment as a bonus. Yep, not very glamorous, but what many of the people needed for that extra sense of security.

The other team had raided the shattered compound and come back with survivors. They had all come back alive, which was good, but the Captain had a grim air about him.

The meeting was a real eye-opener. The meeting after that was something to make him sick to the bottom of his stomach. His survival instincts said "Run", but logic dictated that one day soon no place would be safe.

"I keep going back to this mention of a Portal. Before Z-Day, I used to watch this show called StarGate and though its science fiction ... well, aren't our lives somewhat beyond convention anyway?"

"Maybe they weren't working on a way to reverse the plague ..." and he pauses in mid-thought, " or maybe it was. Maybe their portal wasn't about getting somewhere, but some-when? Like before the plague broke out ... and finding a way to stop it?"

As he spoke, Priest became more animated, but he finished in with a quieter tone.

"Its a thought, anyway."

Fox smiles at James in a knowing way, but says, "Actually, I haven't but I was sorely tempted when she first arrived. I might even find out someday, but only if she isn't seeing someone." He gives the other man a look that says, if you don't object. "She and I are good friends though. Despite her grumbling about not getting her hands dirty, I think she'd walk over broken glass barefoot to help someone in need."

"As for our little excursion, I was planning to head out this morning. If we fly we should easily be back by nightfall. If we drive it may take a day or two."

Looking at Priest he adds, "Yeah, I watched that show too, it was a favorite of the guys in the barracks. It made me think of it as well, but until we can find this place and question one of the scientists, we have no way of knowing. The things it brings to my mind are, Time travel, Travel to other worlds uneffected by the Z-plague, or even alternate earths. Any way you look at it though sound very interesting."

Clapping Priest on the back he finishes, "Thanks for your help, moving in those supplies. It will make a good start. Do you want to go with us on our raid of that armory? All the novas at the base are welcome to come."

Jennifer approaches the men and tries to get their attention by 'accidently' tripping in their line of sight. Dropping on of her pumps and rubbing her ankle she frowns and curses a bit to herself.

"This base isn't really built for womens shoes, I guess.", she smiled nervously. "Please excuse me, but I overheard your little conversation and I wondered if that cement could be used to make a little pavement for us ladies?", without waiting for an answer she added. "And I got a message from Miss Summers. She doesn't want to be disturbed unless its urgent and she is really needed."

Priest nods to Fox.

"You get us in and my team can haul out whatever is in there," he says referring to the teams Big Rig. Before he can ask any questions, Jennifer's play for attention grabs his eye. Priest steps forward to help her steady herself.

He chuckles at her suggestion, adding,

"I just haul the stuff, but I recall a ton of paving stones at this little place down the road - if the situation calls for it, and the Boss okay's it."

Priest tried hard at that moment not to think of this place as home, and these relationships as permanent. The world was still a place of chaos, death, and that slow slide to barbarism. He reminded himself that he had a daughter and friends that relied on him.

Jennifer felt Priest slowly close himself off and by the time he stepped away he was his usual guarded self.

Fox smiles at James in a knowing way, but says, "Actually, I haven't but I was sorely tempted when she first arrived. I might even find out someday, but only if she isn't seeing someone." He gives the other man a look that says, if you don't object.
James listens carefully to what Fox has to say and realizes that he has no clue what James is talking about. He opens his mouth to clarify and instead is conflicted. He thinks,

*Obviously I want to tell him that banging Violet leads to increased power. That's going to result in behavior I want, i.e. the two of them sleeping together.*

*I already have two really hot girlfriends, what am I trying to do, build a harem? Wait, would that really be a bad thing?*

*I think what we really need to do is explore Violet in depth many times find out whether or not having sex with Violet really increases your power or whether that was a one off coincidence.*

*Juggling three girlfriends might lead to none. Let's worry about that later, right now worry about the here and now.*

James gives Fox a less than friendly look back that says
Over your dead body my friend.

James frowns at what Priest says and replies,

"Could that really work?"

Seeing and hearing Jennifer, James walks over and says,

"You're Jennifer aren't you? Can you walk? I could carry you back to your place without a problem. And is Violet all right?"

Originally Posted By: Courier

Seeing and hearing Jennifer, James walks over and says,

"You're Jennifer aren't you? Can you walk? I could carry you back to your place without a problem. And is Violet all right?"

Jennifer smiled at bit shyly at James and said firmly, "No thanks... Mr. DeBeer", she wasn't sure if she pronounced his name properly. "I can take fairly well care of myself." Saying that she put the shoe back on and stomped with it a few times.
"See, no permanent damage done."

Then she took a deep breath before she answered his question about Violet blushing very slightly. "Miss Summers is all right, Sir. I was asking myself if she is needed for this... excursion of yours?", she raised an eyebrow and looked at James and Fox.

"Even if not... I made a small list of... ahm, how can I put it right? A list of useful articles of decoration for Miss Summers etablissement. Should you coincedently stumble over any item listed on this paper I'm sure Miss Summers would be more than thankful if you could bring it with you.", Jennifer handed a small handwritten piece of paper to James.

(at a short glimpse you read such things as: a Jukebox, bathtub or preferably a whirlpool, a 15 foot long pole preferably made of chrome about 4 inches diameter...)

James says,

"Please call me James", while he glances at the list and thinks,

*A blush. Translation: She saw Violet this morning and has some idea of what happened last night. Violet is either tired or just can't walk right now.*

*And what's this? Ah, a 'honeydew' list. Not the first or even the 20th of those I've had. I don't think anything can top Jill's sending me out after an anvil. Jukebox... ah, right. Violet runs a club of some sort.*

*I could do this pretty easily. It's just time; Problem is no matter how pretty her secretary (boss?) is it should be Violet giving me this. Correction, it should be JoAnna giving me this, or possibly Jillian. Wait, now there's an idea.*

James says,

"You know... One of the women I came in with is a professional stage magician. I've seen her in action, JoAnna is very good, she was headed for the big time when Z-day messed things up. You could do a lot worse than to recruit her."

"Have Violet tell her I suggested it. And I'll see what I can do about this list." James glances again at the list and puts it in his chest pocket.

*And now I have to tell the girls that I'm off to raid an Armory and might have gotten JoAnna back into show business.*

Originally Posted By: Courier

James says,

"You know... One of the women I came in with is a professional stage magician. I've seen her in action, JoAnna is very good, she was headed for the big time when Z-day messed things up. You could do a lot worse than to recruit her."

"Have Violet tell her I suggested it. And I'll see what I can do about this list." James glances again at the list and puts it in his chest pocket.

"I see... I'm sure we can arrange something for your friend Mr. James. Can you describe her? Is she tall, good looking, cute? Miss Summers is looking for a special staff... more in terms of exotic, if you catch my drift? However, I'm sure we can find something for Miss JoAnna. Maybe I should talk with her, see for myself if she fits what we are looking for?", Jennifer smiled politely at James.

James smiles good naturedly and says,

"You probably hear that a lot don't you? I'm quite serious. She's the real deal."

"JoAnna is about 5 foot 9 and has green eyes and black hair. She's... well, good looking doesn't cover it. She looks like she should be a magician's assistant. You know, wearing a skimpy outfit and distracting the audience? I gather that's pretty much what she did too, but for herself."

"Their car is over there." James nods to an SUV a bit away, and adds, "The tall blond with the pony-tail and the muscles next to it is Jillian. She'd know where JoAnna is, they're sisters more or less."

Jennifer felt Violet stirr under her skin as she put one and one together and struggled to keep her in check. James, you dog... You Hot-Dog Jennifer had to smirk involuntarily.

"Well, I'm going to ask her right away then. Thank you very much, Mr. James. I'm sure Miss Summers will appreciate your efforts in obtaining the desired items and in exchange will bring your friends into business.", Jennifer nodded briefly but politely to James and the other men and set off to meet the sisters.

Don't blow our cover, Violet! , Jennifer thought angrily.

Priest smiles at the exchange and decides it would be better if he just went about his business. The team was out unwinding after the latest run, but Leo would probably need help tuning up the semi's engine. It would keep his mind off the other distractions the base had suddenly developed. James wouldn't be a safe man to cross.

James watched Jennifer walk away for a moment... she was a very attractive woman... *Careful there. Two girlfriends has already led to you getting shot in the back and throwing a jealous jerk off a building. Three is absurd and one has to question the survival instincts of someone with Four.*

James turns back to Fox and says,

"This stuff you want is heavy, right? So we'll jack a military truck for the trip back?"

Jennifer carefully approached Jillian trying to estimate what she was doing. hmm, tall, pretty and buff. James' taste is manifold thought Jennifer and his stamina... interrupted Violet.

Shut up, Violet! I'm trying to work here!

Jennifer nervously brushed through her hair and put on an innocent smile. "Are you Jillian?"

The trunk to the SUV is open and Jillian is setting up some sort of smelting fire and tools. It all looks very mid-evil. Jillian looks less so, she's wearing jeans and a tee-shirt with a few charcoal stains. A worn leather workman's apron with multiple pockets rests on a pole as does some ear mufflers. Jennifer can see Jillian has thick arms, shoulders and obviously the tools being set up aren't for show. With blond hair and clear blue eyes Jillian has a "Barbie the Blacksmith" look.

Jillian replies,

"That's me. What can I do for you?"

Jennifer offered her hand and said, "I'm Jennifer. I just talked to Mr. DeBeer... ah, James. We talked about several things and... ahm... well, to make a long story short, he suggested I should talk to you and your sister.", Jennifer smiled friendly and arranged her dress to overplay her nervousness.

"I'm the General Manager of the club "Violets" at the base.", Jennifer pointed with her head to the general direction where the club was located. "And James said that your sister might be interested in a job. Coincedently I'm looking for someone with some entertaining talents. Maybe even a featured artist. Do you know where I can find your sister? I think JoAnna is her name?", Jennifer put on her most winning smile for Jillian. hmm... I wonder if Jillian is into women, too? She certainly looks... interesting thought Violet losing herself in some more distractive thoughts.

Jennifer shook her head to gently keep Violet in check and resumed smiling at Jillian. Can't you keep your thoughts to yourself for five god damn minutes?!?

Jillian shakes Jennifer's hand without crushing it and nods when she starts talking about the club, obviously seeing where this is going. She says,

"I think JoAnna is still eating or cleaning up from eating. We're still running a bit late, James' fault." Jillian motions to the mess hall. "If you don't find her there then she should be in and out around here. She's the deal maker of the three of us."

"I think she'll be interested in entertainment, she's been bound for show business since she could walk. It'd be good to see her get back into it, Z-day kind of derailed... lots of things." A look of grief flickers across Jillian's face and it's gone. Like everyone she's seen too much.

"Thank you very much, Jillian... and just in case. If you are interested, too. Just let me know.", Jennifer winked at her with one eye and headed to the mess hall.

On the way she felt Violet stirring again I'm getting bored, Jennifer... can't you hurry a little bit more?

Jennifer rolled her eyes and chose not to answer. After a short moment she found JoAnna as she was just about to leave the mess hall.

"Excuse me... you're JoAnna, aren't you?", Jennifer spoke out a little louder.

JoAnna gave a friendly smile and answered while offering her hand,

"That I am. Pleased to meet you..."

JoAnna was gorgeous in an openly sensual way which her clothes accented with tight pants and a tighter shirt. Dark haired, green eyed, and perhaps five foot seven, she looked like she should be modeling clothes somewhere. She was also showing enough cleavage to put a card into.

Several men walked pasted and she gave them a flirtatious wink as they did. Closer inspection showed that although her button shirt was tight in the chest it was loose in the sleeves. She also looked NOTHING like Jillian.

Jennifer gladly shook the offered hand. "Nice to meet you, too. I'm Jennifer.", she smiled at JoAnna and nodded in approvement.

"I must confess, Mr. De... ahm, James didn't understate a thing. What would you say, if I offered you a job? A job in entertainment business, to be precise?", Jennifer smiled at JoAnna confidently.

Now imagine James, Jo and Jill... Violet giggled to herself which made Jennifer accidently squeal for a moment as if someone tickled her.

"Excuse me...", she hastily apologized.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
Jennifer gladly shook the offered hand. "Nice to meet you, too. I'm Jennifer.", she smiled at JoAnna and nodded in approvement.

"I must confess, Mr. De... ahm, James didn't understate a thing..."
JoAnna raises an eyebrow at that in an amused look that conveys 'what, my boyfriend has been telling people how hot I am... well, good for him.'

"...What would you say, if I offered you a job? A job in entertainment business, to be precise?", Jennifer smiled at JoAnna confidently.
JoAnna blinks and Jennifer feels that she has JoAnna's full attention.

...Jennifer accidently squeal for a moment as if someone tickled her.

"Excuse me...", she hastily apologized.
JoAnna says,

"No problem. I... thought that there was no entertainment business anymore? What did you have in mind? Oh, and my card."

JoAnna pulls out a business card from her waist, starts to hand it to Jennifer with right hand but somehow it vanishes en route. JoAnna frowns and reaches inside her shirt with her left hand and pulls out the card from next to her breast and hands it over. She's very good, her two hands were never close together nor was her right ever close to her breast.

The Card says 'The Amazing Harrison' and has a color picture of JoAnna in fishnet stockings pulling an impossibly large rabbit out of an impossibly small hat. Not quite right but close.

Jennifer got easily confused by JoAnnas sleight of hand and it took her some time to realize that she was supposed to take the businesscard. She took the card and smiled at JoAnna and briefly looked at it. Oh James... now I understand. This can get really interesting. Hire her, Jennifer!

Trying hardly to ignore Violets pleading voice Jennifer puts on her best smile and says, "Wonderful! I suppose you're interested? From what I can tell I can imagine that Miss Summers would gladly hire you. I for my part see no reason not to.", Jennifer took a step back to get another look of JoAnna. She was really breathtaking.

"I got one question. This card implies that you've been a stage magician. How about dancing or singing? Any talents with that?"

JoAnna replies,

"Not 'was', I 'am' a stage magician. It's just the world doesn't seem to have any stages. I managed to save most of my gear... well... James helped. Singing I'm good at, I'm less good at dancing as if I'm moving around I feel I should be combining movement with magic."

"And who is Miss Summers?"

Archived