Anateus

Actual name: Barry Bard

DOB: April 17, 1991

DOE: August 24, 2009

Legal status: USA citizen, record (underage drinking)

Identity: Known, but only very recently

Known Relatives: Father (Stuart Bard) and Mother (Juliette Bard)

Aliases: None

Place of birth: San Diego, CA

Marital Status: Single

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 175 lbs.

Eyes: Hazel

Hair: Long, blond/brown with red highlights

Distinguishing Marks: Marijuana leaf tattoo on right calf, noted tendency for tie-dyed clothing and "hippie" motif.

Strength Level: Average for his age.

Known Quantum Powers: Strongly suspected that he has internal amplified social abilities.

Abilities/Talents: Fairly noticeable singer, if untrained. Minor skateboarding/extreme sports skills.

Personality: Easygoing and friendly. Noted penchant for 70's soul/funk music and hippie styles. Willing to help out people to the best of his abilities.

Current Interests: Trying to form a band, get a lot more sex and parties in, and finding a way to market himself for the future to keep the party going. Currently trying to manage the hanger-ons he's gathered.

Nature: Hedonist

Eruption: Stress from trying to sneak into the Amp Room

Allegiance: Independent

Strength: 2 Perception: 3 Charisma: 5 (Genial)

Dexterity: 3 Intelligence: 3 Manipulation: 5(Salesman)

Stamina: 5 (Tireless) Wits: 5(People-Smart) Appearance:5(Sexy)

Endurance: 3, Resistance: 3, Athletics: 3, Brawl: 1, Drive: 2, Legerdemain: 1,

Awareness: 2, Academics: 1, Computers: 1, Medicine: 1, Science: 1, Art: 4,

Biz: 2, Rapport: 5, Perform: 5, Style: 2, Streetwise: 2, Subterfuge: 2

Backgrounds: Allies: 4, Followers: 5, Resources: 5, Node: 2, Eufiber: 2

Quantum: 4 (1 Tainted), Willpower: 4, Taint: 1, QP: 28

Powers: Mega-Charisma: 5 (Natural Agitator, Perfect Guest)

Description: A clean-scrubbed hippie-sprog with something about him that just makes you like him. Easygoing yet hyper when excited. Comes off as a cross between Jack Black and the Big Lebowski. Recently has developed a solid soul-singer voice.

What Happened: He Jackassed: He pulled a Stupid Human Trick which became a Stupid Nova Trick. While his parents were in Ibizia looking for people to sign to their OpNet music store, Barry decided (while "fortified" with a few choice drugs) to try to get into the Amp Room on sheer charm. He went up to the bouncer, dread increasing every step of the way, and...got let in. The scary-looking dude even smiled and high-fived him.

Head pounding from "stress" (or maybe a newly-popped Node, upon reflection), he got some money and got a few drinks in him. Headache gone, and room spinning. He sat down with a couple of other novas and, almost without realizing it, got into conversation with them. If asked what the conversation was about, he could not tell you. Except at some point, one of the novas asked him, "So what do you do? What's your theme?"

Barry: "Oh, fuck. I have not planned for this contingency." (Pause) "Okay, guys, I'm gonna level with you, because right now I can't think my way out of a wet paper bag. I'm just, like, some baseline kid who wandered in on a bet, and I don't really have any powers. So, please don't be pissed, okay?"

Needless to say, the novas there were quite upset, and one of them got Jake Korelli over there. Jake's first question: "how many drinks have you had?"

Barry: (Holds up four fingers.) "Three."

Jake: "Shit. How do you feel?"

Barry: "Great, man! My headache's gone!"

At this point, confused but with the light slowly coming on, asked Barry to explain what happened. Barry told him. Jake asked again about his headache.

Barry: "No problem, I'm...sooooo...mellow right now. The lights look a little blurry, and my head's still kinda thumpy, but it's not like I've never had a hangover. Dude, these drinks are wicked strong!" crazy

Jake, and the assorted novas, busted into laughter. They brought over a nova paraphysician, who confirmed that Barry had Erupted, and most likely right before entering the Amp Room. The physician calmly explained to Barry that, had he been a baseline, the amount of Amp Wells he'd drunk would have killed him by a convulsion if he was still a baseline. As it was, he should be on water until he felt sober again, and food wouldn't be a bad idea.

So, Jake and his friends at the Amp Room talked for hours, and he ended up with the nickname "Mellow." He got some pointers, got a rough idea of what his particular power was, and made a few solid contacts. Stepping out of the club, he ran into his parents, who were threatening legal action if they couldn't get their son out. They stared at him, but almost didn't recognize him. Somehow, they weren't surprised when he told them what happened.

Now, Barry feels on top of the world, and while he should be practically glued to the ceiling, he feels...mellow. Serene. (His paraphysician says that his Node, so quickly bathed in chemicals right after Eruption, might be replaying that sensation when activated.) But no matter, he has a new career path opened to him, and a whole bunch of new friends to contend with. He's thinking about going to what's left of California for a concert before deciding on career vs. college...

SPOTLIGHT: NEW ERUPTIONS!

10082009 Edition, brought to you by New River Entertainment!

NE: And apparently, the entertainment industry has a new rising star. Barry Bard, son of Stuart and Juliette Bard who own and manage the Constellation Sounds recording label, recently Erupted during a trip to Ibizia. Barry, what happened?

Mellow: Hey. It was not too long after my 18th, Deborah, and my parents were feeling indulgent. So, they brought me along with them to Ibizia to scout some quantum-fueled talent for the label. I'm 18, I'm in Ibizia, so I get the bright idea to see if I can crash the Amp Room. I figure, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Well, somehow I get in. I figure I'm much slicker than I thought, so I play it up and get some drinks at the bar. At the time, I'd heard that regular people weren't supposed to drink Amp Wells because they were built for novas. I just thought that was hype. Well, I was wrong, and these drinks were a lot stronger than I'd thought.

By sheer luck, I sit next to some novas who are out enjoying the scene and just start talking to them. The drinks took care of this weird headache I'd just gotten (audience laughter), and me being Mr. Slick, I think I've somehow managed to fool everyone. (More laughter) "I am a Golden God!" (applause and cheers)

Well, at one point they ask me what I do for a living. And I basically break down and say, "Uh, guys..." (more laughter)Yeah, so they get upset, Jake Korelli comes over and takes charge, and I find out that those drinks should have killed me, but somehow I Erupted before coming in the club and I was not being slick, I actually was a nova. Now, of course I don't condone alcohol abuse,(audience laughter)but I was grateful for being fortified when I heard that particular newsflash. To their credit, they handled it pretty well.

NE: Wow. Talk about timing!

Mellow: Yeah. I'm more of a club guy than a hospital guy, usually.

Turns out I was a really strong latent. Both my parents are latents, and they just found out about this not long after I Erupted. Who knows, this may be a family thing!

NE: So, what are your plans?

Mellow: Well, it turns out that I have...no memory. (Laughter) Yeah, I have what's called "A strong internalized empathic projection and limited manipulation capability." Basically, I Erupted and my super-power is that I'm 100 Brad Pitts or Jack Blacks.

NE: (interrupting)I agree. Really. You do have a strong charismatic streak. It's the first thing I noticed.

Mellow: Thank you. Wow. That still takes me by surprise.

Now that I have talent, I'd like to actually be in the entertainment business. I've found out that I have a decent voice, and I can really sell it if I try. Also, I've had some contacts tell me that Bollywood is not out of the question. Still, I just turned 18, my life plans just got put in a blender, and I think I'd like some time to recoup before taking over the world. (Applause)

Damn, you people are easy! (Laughter!)

NE: Don't go away! More to come on New Eruptions!

• 1 month later...

Archived