[OpNet] Lakota Crimes

AquaMarine

I have some questions. I asked in the philosophy thread but there are so many other things going on in that thread... Others issues get in the way of asking questions. This is mainly for the Lakota tribal elders Ptesan Wi and Wakinyan though also for Esther Bluecorn. I understand she's in a similar situation with another tribe.

To begin with I admit I've been out of touch with the surface world for a long time. Maybe this is my own ignorance but there are some things I don't understand. Two novas (novi?) are tribal elders in the Lakota tribe. Not to put too fine a point on it but at least two novas are the full time guardians of a tribe that has a small population. My questions come from something Ptesan Wi brought up. That Lakota women are being raped by non-Lakotas. That brings up some questions.

- How many victims are we talking about?

- Who's abusing these woman that can ignore the presence of two full time nova guardians?

- Why do does this happen with two full time nova guardians?

- How do you as guardians deal with abuses like this?

Thanks in advance.

I will need to get back to you on statistics Aqua. To be honest I know it has been a problem for a long time some think it is easy to attack Natives (not just Lakota) because it is less likey to be reported or if it is reported it would be ignored.

As for who and why. People come through the rez people, travel off and it happens. Any attacks really, it's not like I can say Lakota men are incapable of attacking a woman that happens plenty as well. (yes myself included thank you I know) These things are going on and it is something that needs to be corrected.

As for how I Ptesan-Wi allow it to happen? You know that no matter how smart we are or if we can see the future none are omniscient. I don't go out on crime patrols like the WCK does. I am not a represenative of law enforcement on the reservation. I let the sheriff and his men who are capable humans handle it. If they ever ask I help but I try to keep my emotions in check as time has shown I am not the best at controlling them and exposing myself to things that might provoke me would be unwise. Setting off another chain of events like the numerous variety of tragedies I have been a catalyst for over the past four years is not exactly something I am looking to do at this time.

I might be required to step into those arenas in the near future but for now I tread those areas carefully.

Perhaps I may suggest an alternate method.

Instead of a direct involvement, perhaps if you only assisted in the apprehension of said individual without a direct confrontation? The tribes involved can handle their matters, but wherever they may need help that you may provide, the better the outcome.

Thank you Wakinyan. I assume you're the spokesperson since Ptesan Wi and Esther Bluecorn haven't spoken up. So I'll address this to you.

There's something here I'm not understanding. I know there are words in your own language that probably describe it differently but you and Ptesan Wi are the leaders of the Lakota. I was going to say "rulers" but there's some baggage in that word I'd like to keep out. And a leader's responsibility is to their own people. A leader doesn't always take each and every task as their own so delegating to other people in your tribe is understandable. Being a leader may mean many things but I don't think it means being able to identify an impulse before the act. Or to know an act as it happens. So far I'm understanding what you've described.

Here's the part I'm confused about. Ptesan Wi is some kind of a mind reader. You are physically powerful. You are both very mobile. You are known to the world at large as the leaders of the Lakota. As leaders you are known to have a responsibility to protect your people. As leaders are assumed to some influence in seeing crimes against your people redressed. So how is it that these people feel they can get away with committing crimes like rape and ignore the presence of two novas committed to the wellbeing of their people? If someone were attacking you it would make sense. But for random crimes like this? Over time? I'm not getting this. Why do they expect to get away with it?

Originally Posted By: Aqua Marine
That Lakota women are being raped by non-Lakotas.

And that's especially terrible, because no other demographic is as regularly raped as the Lakota women. Fuck knows that the Lakota women are the hands-down most desirable women on the planet, which makes them especially rape-worthy to the millions of rapists occupying America's central-northern area.

Rape is terrible. But it's no more or less terrible when it happens to a street junkie with AIDS or an Azerbaijani woman in a burqa. Despite what PW and Waki would have you believe, Aquaman, the stats for Lakota women - a segretated population living in a sparsely-populated portion of the country - aren't any more in danger of being raped that most women.

Originally Posted By: WakiToDan
I might be required to step into those arenas in the near future but for now I tread those areas carefully.

Kind of makes a guy misty-eyed for memories of Avenger, huh, big guy?

Originally Posted By: Machina
Despite what PW and Waki would have you believe, Aquaman, the stats for Lakota women - a segretated population living in a sparsely-populated portion of the country - aren't any more in danger of being raped that most women.
Hence my confusion. With two full time novas dedicated to ensuring the wellbeing of the tribe, the women of the Lakotas should be less likely to be raped than any other group of woman. It's puzzling.

Originally Posted By: Esther Bluecorn
I'm Navajo, not Lakota. Sorry for being picky.

Originally Posted By: Aqua Marine
I understand she's in a similar situation with another tribe.
Yes you are. I wasn't aware of the tribe but knew it wasn't the Lakota.

Archived