Aberrant: 2011 - Harold Campbell, 'the Meager'

Harold Campbell

Veteran Saves Girl From Subway Catastrophe, Erupts

November 25, 2008

by Judie Klume

Tragedy was very narrowly averted today in the Big Apple when a small child, Beverly Carradine, 8, fell off the platform at the Port Authority subway station only moments before a subway car was due to arrive.

A bystander also waiting for the subway, who identified himself after the incident to Project Utopia Emergency Response as Harold Campbell, 53, immediately leapt from the platform onto the track below, grabbing the girl and pulling her to safety as he shielded her with his own, taking refuge under the passing subway care.

Frightened passengers and onlookers watched in horror, subsequently surprised to see the unoccupied final subway car on the line shudder and jump its tracks as the pilot car came to a screeching halt. As the line passed, an unconscious Beverly Carradine emerged from the track pit, carried by Harold Campbell, now standing over ten feet tall, his clothes in tatters.

Project Utopia Emergency Response was on hand almost immediately. T2M Americas members Skew and Ricardo Montoya-Bernal, visiting Project Utopia headquarters on business, arrived only moments after the initial fracas, followed closely by EMTs from the local Mohawk Ambulance.

Beverly sustained only a sprained ankle. Skew and Bernal attempted to coax Campbell to the 5th Ave. Rashoud Clinic, but he flatly and reportedly angrily refused the offer, opting instead to admit himself to the Metropolitan Hospital Center, who confirmed his eruption and treated him for minor scrapes and a light friction burn.

"It's somewhat of a miracle", doctor Tobias Reed, the attending physician, reported. "The bulk of the damage was done to his clothing, due entirely to his size growth during eruption. The scrapes and burns were incurred before the actual moment, from the car passing overhead. Conversely, derailing the subway car didn't seem to affect him in the slightest."

Gloria Carradine, the girl's mother, told Post reporters "That man is an angel. He's amazing. Without him, my little girl might not be here now. It was exciting to see Skew and Mr. Bernal, but today, that man was my superhero."

Little Beverly added "Thank you, mister, for saving me. I love you."

Post reporters caught up to Mr. Campbell as he was checking out of the medical center, now returned to his normal height of 6'1". Campbell, a Vietnam War veteran and motorcycle enthusiast from near Chicago who had been visiting New York City on business, told us "The fact is, a lot of people would have done what I did, if they had a second to think about it. It wasn't nothing. I was just there and lucky enough to make the decision in time to be there for that little girl. I was lucky. Now I guess I'm extra lucky. I got to admit, I never expected to find out I was some aberrant. But hey, fuck it. Gonna make the most of this hand I been dealt."

When asked why the friction between himself and the T2M members who had arrived at the scene, he said "I didn't like the way they showed up and immediately tried to control the scene, like it was their show. It wasn't. There was no show. Just a lady being worried about her kid and glad she was all right. And me, I don't want nobody's help. I sure as hell don't need some jerkoff in spandex making a hundred k a year telling me what I need to do."

A Utopian relations liasion representative was good-humored about the incident. "Like Mr. Campbell, we're glad to see that little Beverly was safe and sound. As for Mr. Campbell himself, nobody is beholden to accept our help if they don't want it. We wish Mr. Campbell the best of luck in his new life, and if he ever wants our help, we'll be waiting."

• 2 weeks later...

Motorcycle Gang Demolishes Building

December 12, 2008

by Damond Espinoza

The Harper Gorman building sits in ruins today after a devastating attack last night that took place just outside the El Cajon Technological Park. Details are still coming in as city demolitions teams pick through the rubble in an attempt to determine the probable cause of the demolition as SDFD workers look for anyone possibly injured by the building's fall.

"This is totally unprecedented", one expert on the scene told Tribune reporters. "There's no signs of burn or blast damage, no sign of a fire, but all the rubble, it's...I mean, the building didn't implode, you understand, it exploded. It's like someone took a wrecking ball to this place from the inside."

Maria Hortez, the cleaning custodian who was on duty during the demolition, shed some light on the matter;

"These men, they come on the motorcycles. Ten, maybe twelve, I don't know. And they are outside with light flashing and horns, yelling at me. They break through the door with pipes and wrenches, and I try to hide, but they find me! But no, they no hurt me. They very nice, and tell me that I need to leave, it is time to go home. So two of the men, they let me get my purse and take me outside, and one, he puts me on his motorcycle and rides me to a bus stop! He give me three hundred dollars and the number for unemployment office and tells me to go with God. And then, all I hear is smashing sounds, like entire building cracking and falling! I was so afraid, so I run!"

A dozen Harley-Davidson motorcycles were spotted on surveillance cameras exiting the park just before four a.m., and police report that they are currently tracking down the owners of the vehicles.

The Harper Gorman building, established in 1954, was most recently the home of the Southern Consolidated Credit Agency, the western United States' largest firm for debt collection accounts received from hospitals.

Archived