Adventure! RPG: Heroes of Our Time - episode 3: Killer in the Rain (part 1)

Alex Craft

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Craft:
"You know, you should come up to New York sometime - I'm sure Daddy would love meet you. He was really enjoying something about your team and Britain a few weeks ago, and ... well, if you think about it, your connection to Mr. King means that you'll have a lot of opportunities later on. A lot of people are going to be interested in getting to know you now, and I have to admit that Daddy probably wouldn't be an exception."
Locky looks towards Erica. It's apparent that these sorts of things had never occured to Locky, and that saying it out loud had brought them to the fore.

"When I said I'd take this job, noone told me that people'd actually start being interested in me. The idea kinda scares me, to be honest."

"I've had a lot of fun this evening with you, I gotta admit, you're a great gal." Locky's face resolves to a deeply honest smile. "But if you're asking me if I want to see you some other time, all ya had to do was ask! I'd love to come up and see you. At the very most, you're the most interesting person I've met at this party, and I'd hate to only have seen you for one night!"

Erica smiles reservedly and is about to answer when both she and Locky hear her name drifting out over the lawn from the house - it seems that her father has noticed she's gone. Wincing slightly, she glances over reflexively, then realizes that there isn't much chance of someone inside picking her and Locky out of the night.

She turns back with a resigned look, saying, "I ... really should go, Locky. Daddy might like to meet you in general, but he, um ... he can be kind of protective."

Looking back at the house, she continues - at first in a carefully neutral tone, "But, yes - come up sometime. It's been fun tonight, and you really should meet Daddy ..."

"... Besides [winks confidentially], you are kinda cute."

This last is added with a lighter voice and quirk of the lips - a nod of sorts to Locky's own honesty. Flashing a grin, she steps away and runs off toward the mansion, keeping to a fairly sedate speed (on account of her dress). She fades into the chilly night, and is lost to sight behind a stand of trees quickly enough.

• 4 months later...

Locky returns to the reception, taking his time about it. The gardens really are pretty nice - soothing, after the mansion's commotion. Soon enough, though, he slips back into the noise and light, doing his best to stay well in the background.

The reception continues, and the night wears on. Locky is the untouched observer for most of the night - seeing the others doing their thing. King never exactly makes a formal announcement of the field team's activation, but he does rope most of the members into conversations with key company men.

Growing tired of the scene, some of the team members begin to drift away, disappearing into the gardens or driving home. Jameson is one of the last to leave (though Rhiannon is there until after the last guest depart), and Kate stays with him the whole way - herself having a seemingly indefatigable stamina (not to mention a surprising alcohol tolerance for someone her size).

Locky sees Erica a few more time over the course of the evening. Once, she even spots him - flashing him a broad smile before getting caught up in the wandering and politicking of her aging father. Later, shortly before she leaves, he catches her in a dance - his quick feet letting him fake ballroom dancing well enough to get by. Conversation stays merely polite, since they are very much in the public eye, and (as she whispers) Daddy wouldn't approve of anything more sociable.

Rhiannon stays by King, mostly - being of what aid she can despite King's suggestion that she enjoy the party. King himself is closed up for the night, putting up a pleasant mask for the guests, but letting his tension show during the few moments he isn't in the public.

There's definitely something up between him and this Li Wan-Kin character, and she can't help but to wonder what relationship the later might have with her adopted family. King, however, is silent and unresponsive, and she gets nothing more out of him on the topic.

The reception winds down as the night grows older, and the guests filter away more and more rapidly. Soon, the mansion is empty of all but a few stragglers and overnight guests - the former being nudged out by the servants and the later being shown to their rooms.

By this point, Rhiannon is the only team member left in attendance, and she bids King goodbye - leaving him at the same rose-bordered porch where she had earlier found Janos. From the sound of it, tomorrow will be busy, and she had better get home for the night.

CONTINUED

Archived