[Fiction] Truth and Consequences

Typhoon

Typhoon parked the Aumakua about a hundred miles off shore near the sea-bed and swam the rest of the way into Tokyo bay. He was pensive about the news he had to share, it was conceivable that he could lose a friend over this.

"He might mistake this as a betrayal."

He walked onshore as he had done a hundred times before, he surfaced a few miles to the northeast of the city of Tokyo proper. he walked onto a quiet stretch of beach.

He pulled his seldom used W.A.Co out of a hidden pocket of his Eufiber and contacted 'Kamikaze Taxi' for a pickup. As soon as he terminated contact with the taxi service, he contacted his host to let him know he was on land and about an hour away. He dormed down and altered his Eufiber into Jeans and a black T-shirt after glancing around for onlookers. He rarely dormed anymore, he felt so vulnerable in his 'human skin', given that most of the time being dormed would almost instantly kill him given where he spent most of his time there were reasons for it. The first thing he noticed was the chill of the wind. Goose-bumps formed on his arms, he shivered slightly. It was not something he did often.

Despite being fluent in Japanese, he was silent on the cab ride to his destination. His brow furrowed as he worried about the consequences of what had happened in Amsterdam. He gave a sizable tip as he got out of the car and walked up to the main door of the large traditional Japanese house and gently tapped on the wooden frame.

"Come in Typhoon." It's eerie the way Long's voice resonates in the house. It commands obedience, though it does not convey threat.

Long knew what this was about,he'd known it was coming since it happened. In a nearly silent whisper he spoke. "Come what may, my family shall not suffer."

Typhoon dormed up as he walked into the threshold of Long's house. "Long." Typhoon nearly equaled Long's commanding presense with that one word, it then evaporated when he continued. "This is me you're talking to." His tone was one of friendship, but unfortunate circumstances. "There's no need to be adversarial." He said as his Eufiber took it's familiar diving suit look.

It had been almost two weeks since the incident in Amsterdam. "I've been ordered to apprehend the rogue nova in the sewers and your wife, TimeSlip. This situation puts me in a very... difficult position." He looked rather uncomfortable with the situation.

"You won't find her Typhoon, Few can." His tone changes, more inquisitve now. "And just who is giving you orders Typhoon? Last I heard we had limited sanction, but we truly answered to no one. Has that changed now?"

Long's tail flicks about his eyes glow faintly . It seems things had grown more complicated, and now His comrade had been put in a very precarious situation.

"I've read her file." Typhoon couldn't help but scan the ajoining rooms with his EM vision. "I know if that if she doesn't want to be found she'll merely go some-when people aren't looking for her." He looked down at the floor briefly and then met Long's gaze.

"I'm not here looking for her, thats pointless. I came here to tell you that there are some agencies wishing to contact you in relation to the escape of the terats in the tunnel during the incident." He stepped back and looked out the window with an impressive view of Tokyo.

"In answer to your question, When I was building the Aumakua, I didn't quite have the personal resources to invest in her defensive capabilites..." He clearly was uncomfortable coming out with this. "... I still have some baseline friends in high places. Fleet Admiral Hayes offered me some military grade weapons to defend our interests and Aumakua herself if I acted in the spirit of a US naval officer, upholding the rules of warfare. Acting as an anti-terrorist in international waters somewhat answerable to US interests at sea. I made it clear that I had friends and allies who considered themselves terat, and he said not to let it interfere in a mission."

A look of solemn acceptance finally crosses his face. "So. There we are."

"The others there were removed before they could do any further damage." He looks to Typhoon, his gaze conveying that it wasn't a nice subject.

"Our goals were to save civilian lives and prevent what mishaps we could. We accomplished those goals flawlessly. The only thing we didn't manage to do was capture the rogue nova. Even Team Tomorrow with twice the nova staff on-site failed at that. They were more concerned with attacking Terats." His tone shifts as he speaks, his dislike for Utopia becoming evident.

"You're telling me the US Navy signed off on the ship, in exchange for your service, and the services of those you could get to sign on, Wonderful." His kncukles crack as his fists curl and flex and then relax.

"So when were you planning on letting everyone know we were working for the Navy? How long would we have had to serve their needs before you saw fit to trust us?""

"The US Navy signed off on certain quieting technologies and the weapon systems, which incidentally were fifteen years old that I personally upgraded and modernized." He continued looking out the window at the large purple mountain in the distance. "Working for the Navy extends to me and me alone unless you wish it otherwise, if the job was something that you and the others didn't necessarily agree with on a moral level, I would do it on my own without a word one to any of you."

"You have to believe that I'd never use the group of you in such a way, you are my friends." He turned back to Long with an exasperated sigh. "I don't want to put you in a position where you'd be on the other side of a battlefield from your wife."

"I brought you and the others onboard because I trust you... in case I went rogue again, any one of you could hopefully stop me." He seemed somehow relieved to have said it outloud finally to someone. "Trusting is not something I do easily... especially lately."

Archived