Aberrant RPG - Don't say I never give you guys anything.

Well, here's that "Hino-Polymer" stuff I talk about in my RPs.

Hino Polymer

Hino Polymer was developed by Hino Corporation's research and development division in 2009. as

an alternative to using Eufiber for clothing and manufacturing. Hino Polymers can withstand

kinetic damage and convert it's effects by spreading it to such a degree that a person

recieves far less damage than if they were unprotected.

There are 4 grades of this polymer:

Hard: Like a hard plastic, transparent and quite bulletproof. Great for "storm trooper" style

armor.

Soft: Moves like vynl or rubber. Damage and puncture resistant. Usually can be used for

raincoats, wetsuits, and various other wearable products.

Memory: A form is "programmed" in this form of the polymer. It takes it's form after a quick

"polarization shock" from a battery, but keeps it's soft or hard properties after

"activation". A positive charge activates the form and a negative charge returns it to

a more "baggy" form. Battery life is usually 5 years, and the battery size is usually

the size of a gold dollar (2000) coin, and just as thin.

Thin: Not as protective, but is more durable and lighter than it's soft cousin.

It's also costs less.

Game Info:

Apply these statistics to any clothing or items made out of this polymer.

[Prices as of 2009]

Hard: 4 Dots

Lethal: 5 Bashing: 8 Destruction: 12

Soft: 3 Dots

Lethal: 3 Bashing: 5 Destruction: 10

Memory: +1 Dot

Lethal: -1 Bashing +1 Destruction -1

Thin: 1 Dot

Lethal: 1 Bashing: 1 Destruction: 5

[Prices as of 2012]

Hard: 4 Dots

Lethal: 5 Bashing: 8 Destruction: 12

Soft: 2 Dots

Lethal: 3 Bashing: 5 Destruction: 10

Memory: +1 Dot

Lethal: -1 Bashing +1 Destruction -1

Thin: 1 Dot

Lethal: 1 Bashing: 1 Destruction: 5

Well, what you guys think? I'll also put this post up in the Storyteller's forum, so I can get opinions from both sides of the screen.

Okay? Beyond the lack of a dice penalty, and being a way around the Eufiber Rejection flaw, why?

Okay, at the heavy levels, it would have some marketability, as it is far superior to existing armors. The thin material is inferior to normal armored clothing. Baselines can't normally soak lethal, so an armor system that provides little (1) lethal soak isn't of too much use. Making it memory doesn't help the equation.

Now, if it can be used like a second skin for facial, fingerprint, and retinal overlays, the thin has a variety of illicit uses.

Just some thoughts.

Well, it is new technology. At least around 2015 the thin grade is dirt cheap. The more expensive hard grade is good for a lighter more futuristic version of plate armor. But yes, it's not as good as Eufiber, but it has it's uses and you're not wearing the secretions of a nova. If you have a problem with that sort of thing. I'm still figuring out how this stuff would be used. But... I'm getting ideas.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
Yep. Think stormtrooper armor, but more like plate.
laugh

I thin k the question was about movement penalties. Protection that offers more than Eufiber, doesn't need Quantum or attunement, and has no movement pentalties seems a touch out of whack in the power scheme.

I like the idea, but I think you crawl before you walk. The first issues of such polimer would more likely be used to create versions of existing armor of comparable strength but more flexibility, or greater strength with similar mobility issues, perhaps?

Archived