[M&M OW - Fiction] Keeping the lights on [Complete]

The Mariner

Friday, June 21, 2013, 21:30pm

Minneapolis, MN, Uptown Neighborhood

Buzza Building, Basement Level

The storm had passed. And it was a doozy. All of the people in the Office of Superhuman Relations in the upper floors evacuated into Ensign's HQ on the lowest level. All the while the parking lot outside flooded and trees were uprooted all over. By the time everyone had made it back outside or back into the office levels, the building was on emergency power provided by Ensign's lab and it's backup generators.

"Alright... damage report." Mary asked the person in charge for the shift, William Conrad. A 5 year employee of the office.

"Well, some of the top level windows were broke out by hail, and those floors have water damage, the main power is out to the neighborhood and all throughout South Minneapolis from Lake Street south to 46th Street practically."

Mary nods. "I'm suiting up, I'm sure that I'm going to get called in to assist in the initial damage assements soon." She said walking to her changing area."

"So... have you decided what you're going to use for an identity, Miss Masters, when you go out today? It's... been a while since well..."

Mary sighed from behind the modesty screen. "Say it."

"Since your Dad died. Captain Minnesota."

Mary shook her head as her clothes dropped to the floor as she started putting on a white bodysuit. "No... I'm not Captain Minnesota"

William leaned against a wall. "Still wearing the Ensign costume?"

"I've been... making some modifications. Well, since I stopped being "The Cadet" I've been upgrading."

"I remember that costume... you were like 8 or 9 when your dad came by Minneapolis and you were in that outfit... you looked cute. I have to admit I was your age and I was crushing on your bad."

Mary stepped out of the changing room, bespoke in her super-suit. "How I look?"

William's eyes widened, he whistled showing he was impressed by the technology before him. "Like a damn space sailor!"

Mary chuckled as her helmet closed. "I'm Ensign Minneapolis now... my city needs me."

William nodded as Ensign flew up, not before grabbing a large white dufflebag with a medical cross on it, logging into the emergency bands as she was trained.

"Attention all emergency response units. This is Ensign Minneapolis, Chief representative and Head of Crisis Response at the Minneapolis Office of Superhuman Relations. How may I be of assistance?"

...To Be Continued

One hour later...

Ensign was sitting on a building in a blacked out area of the southeast side, near Hiawatha avenue. So far there hadn't been anything worse than a couple broken legs, some glass injuries from windows getting blown in, and lots and lots of down trees.

"Any anomalous heat sources in your area, Ensign?" She heard over her radio.

"Negative... doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary here. Seems the power getting shut off here helped."

She stands up, brushing off her suit, turning on her floodlight on her helmet. People looked hoping it was the power company as she hovered down to the darkened streets. "Alright, I'm going to take a walk then. Do a patrol on foot for once."

She dims her floodlight. "I'll keep in touch."

As she wandered she walked into a park. There was a bit of a wind an broken branches and limbs from trees were scattered along one of the walking paths. She moved on to the beach of Hiawatha Lake, seeing it was swelled from the rainwater from the area. She sat at the edge of the beach looking out at the lake.

"Well... this is Ensign... status report?"

"We got several medical emergencies being sorted out uptown."

"What about North Side?"

"Calm, hopefully the power there gets turned on fast. It'll be an interesting night for the cops there."

Mary sighed. "Outside of one big inconvenience there's nothing I'm doing then?"

"Yeah..."

She stood back up, yawning. "Tell you what I'm going to..."

Something impulsed her to turn around, and a man in black was standing behind her.

To Be Continued...

The man in black adjusted his sunglasses... which even in the pitch of night in this darkened part of the city seemed to have a slight shine.

The visor and faceplate close on Ensign's helmet. Her right hand glowed blue. "Identify yourself."

"You do not need to see my identification nor require it. You aren't duly deputized yet... that was supposed to be tomorrow."

She sighed. "I know. This seems to have changed things... but still I am acting in the council of the city during a time of..."

"No you're not." He said, smiling, his bald head and almost non existant eyebrows suggesting he was a mutant... and one who liked playing games by his demeanor.

She glared. Not that it could be seen. "Very well... you have me at a loss... What do you want?"

He massaged his chin. "I... need your assistance. Cadet."

"I'm no longer The Cadet..."

"No, but you have a vested interest in seeing the right things done."

She turned back towards the lake. "You have me at a disadvantage. What is it you... need? Not that I am agreeing to anything yet."

She looks at the man closer. "What is up?"

He pulls out a flash drive. "Some intel, from 4 years ago."

"What sort of intel? 4 years ago doesn't matter to me... unless..."

He smiled, flicking the flash drive to her. "So... you are... interested?"

She puts the flash drive into a USB port on her suit only to see her suit shut down, she struggles to open her helmet, only it is locked tighter than Fort Knox, and her superstrength is offline so she can't break the seal mechanism open.

"I wager with your suit off and the power shut down to your life support... you got... 1... 2 minutes tops."

He grabs her and walks her over to the lake, chucking her in. As she starts to sink into the lake she sees the man's form change into the form of a woman in a hooded coat. "Ironic that you die the same as your father..."

Ensign held her breath, thinking of a plan and memorizing the face. She pulled out the flash drive and put it in a pocket on her suit, letting the woman enjoy her moment...

Every moment under water hurt her lungs, but she had to stretch her remaining oxygen as best she could. And she had to wait... She grabs her arm and starts typing, fast... she knew it had to be a virus in that flash drive, and she was a fool to have had put the flash drive into her system.

But... there was something she had up her sleeve... but time was running short.

That, and if this works, she may need a new suit...

I don't want to be my father...

Mary... Your dad left you all this...

I just...

You don't know what you want in the end, don't you...

A bright light seems to hit Ensign in the face. It was still night and it sounded like Ensign's coding before she fell unconscious worked... Her helmet beeped, seems the emergency transponder worked too. She looked around, seeing she managed to activate the emergency pressurization system for sudden exposures to vacuum... thing is now she was floating on the lake.

"Well that worked..."

She struggles, the pressure in the suit was... making it somewhat hard to swim. And it seemed her communication system crashed out. She managed to reach an emergency lever on her chest and pulls, unzipping the suit by destroying the outside skin of the suit as the cord ripped through the material, and triggering explosive bolts in the helmet. She couldn't do it in front of the mysterious individual that tried to drown her. Who knows what she would have done with a vulnerable Mary.

Swimming back with what was left of her suit, she catches her breath as the Helicopter lighting where she was moved in closer.

"Ensign Minneapolis, are you alright?!?"

She pulls out the com-link that remained from her helmet and reboots it, looping it over her ear. "Yeah... I'm fine... someone just tried to kill me though. I need a lift back to headquarters, I got some rebuilding to do..."

It wasn't long before a rope ladder was sent down to Mary and she climbed up and she was on her way back to her headquarters.

Once she got back, she flopped her salvageable but destroyed suit. "Well, that ends the X02... I had designs for the X03 anyways."

She grabbed some tools and material. "That and I need to make a new firewall..." She considered herself lucky. Putting the emergency suit removal device was a good idea. Perhaps... a more modular design is a better idea.

She pulls up her design as she sits up on her workbench, looking at each angle. "Sucks it had to be tonight."

Even with her trademark sailor collar and color scheme, she noticed there was some of her Dad's suit in this design... "Always seems to go back to that, huh?"

~Fin

Archived