[OpNet] ME!

Juri 'Salamander' McClendon

I am edumacated. Nothing big compared to some of you here, I know. But I have finished my degree and have a nice diploma in Psychology.

So, anyway, should I go for more and get a doctorate? I finished my degree so I'd have it, and the education that came with it, but I can't imagine actually going into a career as a psychologist post-eruption. But that's probably just me being tired of being a starving student while I go to school since my headbone isn't as big as some of you, so it will still take me sometime to complete it.

I do have to admit that Dr. McClendon does have a nice ring to it, though. Maybe if I changed my course of study to Metaphysics...

That's a tough question to answer. Graduate school isn't for everybody, college all together isn't for everybody. It's a pretty personal choice. If I had to give any advice on it I would probably say that you need to figure it out for yourself.

And at your age you have plenty of time to do that. You could take some time off, comeback later, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. You could also start now, go for a year or two, and decide that it just isn't your thing. The point, though, is that you have more than enough time to try it one way and change it up, especially since you're a nova, who knows how long you'll live.

If you need any specific advice regarding school I'd be happy to help you. Just shoot me a PM here or call my office.

Why do you think You wouldn't want to be a psychologist now that you've erupted? I would think that Nova Psychology would be an excellent specialty.

I only popped my node a couple of weeks ago (video-yes video, will soon be appearing on an Opsite near you) but that doesn't mean I'm throwing out my engineering degrees. I can honestly say that without a little help from the headshrinkers at Utopia, I'd probably still be picking up pieces of my mind off the Nevada desert floor.

Just something to think about.

Psychology in general is a fascinating field, that I've only just begin to explore these past few years. Being telepathic helps, but I'm still reading up on the history of the field and the techniques and theories postulated.

Nova-specific psychology, obviously, is something I have a personal stake in, since an eruption has the potential to take all of those buried feelings and thoughts and dreams and force you to wear them on your sleeve. I never really needed a psychotherapist post-eruption, although I spent a few sessions with someone as we tried to figure out why I looked like a Sesame Street character. But like any life-altering, potentially traumatic event, people who erupt might need someone to talk to. And while I had no problems talking with a therapist who hadn't erupted, I recognize that some people would want to talk to someone who's "been there."

So, if that's what you're interested in, go for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy:
Well, here is some things you should ask yourself. If psychology is the study of humans? What do you need to learn from a book? Why not just study people? Or what good will come form getting piece of paper?
For starters, in degrees such as psychology, you don't just learn "people." You learn the appropriate ways to heal their mind. Do you think that doctors need to study to learn to heal the human body? The same principle. Sure, you could just study people, and try to help them, based on that study, but frankly, you'll do more damage then good as you recreate the wheel. You will truly be helped by attending classes in this case.

Congratulations, Juri - I wish you well regardless of whether you continue your training or decide you're done with school.

Weee!

Brain sludge slurpees! I drink mine with strawberries and mocha. The fishies steal the chocolate when I'm not looking.

When I catch'em its gonna be BANG! BANG! BANG!

Congrats Jurster. Now you're degreed just like me. We could be sisters. And have pillow fights. But hands off the unmenationables. They're mine.

Archived