Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Quantum Rapids [FIN]

Sailor OOC

"I think we leave it up to Major Dan before calling it a night. Leave off on the repairs until morning. If nothing pans out, we can hike down the few kilometers to the closest town and get a ride from there. The rapids were lesson enough. It was interesting to see how each of us handled the situation in different ways, without overwhelming it with powers."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Oh, it's not a issue... the raft's totaled pretty much. Can't fix it here with the gear I got. It got popped good."

She adjusts herself on the ground. "I guess we can hike it I suppose. What's a few miles on foot, right?"

She rolls unto her back and looks up at the starry sky above. "Unless Sonja wants to fly there... I bet she's never rode a paper airplane before... probably because I never asked."

Her smile was ear to ear. She loved having passengers.

Dan looked at Kamiko with the same icy stare he'd given Shaman. "Did you really think that through beforehand? Telling a story like that in front of Sonja?"

"I know your family and I taught you better than that Kamiko, Much better." His words were meant to cut deeply, to remind her there was a young child present.

"Daddy.."

"It's alright, sometimes though, things are inappropriate."

She nodded and said no more, obviously still thinking about the story.

"I haven't hiked in awhile. It ought to prove a learning experience for most of us. Besides, it's good to do things the normal way every now and again. Helps novas like us to remain grounded."

"I'm... sorry, Dan... that got to the front of my mind recently on this trip... the rapids started reminding me of that incident."

Her expression changes and she turns away from the fire. "I wasn't thinking. Obviously..."

She knew she wasn't either. Now it's become flatly clear and she's paying the price.

"So... now that that is squared away... Who's got a story... perferribly something more... general audience."

She smiles, still letting the firelight glint off her glasses.

"While I didn't get to say it before Star left, I really want to thank everyone for coming today. Despite losing our raft... it was a fun trip. I'd do it again. Just have to look over the course first to properly gear for the hazards."

She scratches her head. "Just gotta figure a way to solve that annoying problem of rocks puncturing the raft... maybe I should practice making paper armor overlays for a small boat."

"Okay, Mr. National Geographic..." Kamiko playfully chirps.

"Well... to be honest if we're trailing off... maybe we should just get some sleep here before morining then start our long slog back."

She turns away from the fire again, her head nestled on her vest. "Night everyone."

"Fair enough... see you guys in the morning... first to wake is our alarm clock."

To be honest, Novas like Kamiko could safely go for days without sleep. But she had dumped some quantum today, and she was just wanting to sleep. Some psychologists she's spoken to say that even novas should get some quality REM time to help sort out their day. She'd thought about meditation, but she never really had the focus. Her sleep was fitful that night, from remembering the incident she told of in her story.

The Next Day.

Kamiko wakes up and rummages through her bags, grabbing some MREs she had bought a week ago. When she was with Dan she learned to appreciate such food, and it's nutritional value in one meal.

"Wakey wakey, everyone! I brought dinner... or breakfast... whatever you feel like... Scrambled Eggs... Spaghetti with Meatballs... what's your poision!"

She smiles, hopefully Sonja wouldn't mind the food selection today.

Sonja was curled up against her Father, who's eyes had never closed. He smiled as Kamiko brought out MRE's. "One never escapes the old favorites. If you've got one with the Orange sauce, that's what Sonja will want.." the six year old nova began to wake at this point yawning out of reflex. "Good morning." her Father's voice made her smile as she hugged him.

Kamiko pulls out a small cannister of orange sauce. "I thought ahead. I... sort of like it myself" She says, handing it over.

She sits down at the site of the fire, now adequately doused. She goes through the process of heating with the elements packed with the MRE packet.

"I'm in the mood for spaghetti personally. Feel free to pick anything in the selection in the green bag, everyone. Once we're done I'll pack everything and summon Dai Kami-Sama again... she's got one more duty before she can rest. Helping lug the gear on our hike."

note
Let's get one good post in for each of us then I'll take her home.

His first instinct was to go out and get some grubs, but then he remembered his scolding from the staff at the palace. Princes don't normally eat bugs for breakfast ... or lunch, or dinner. Apparently free-hanging fruit and berries were frowned upon as well. Thankfully they had packed him two days of rations. Shaman didn't need to eat, but he liked to. Nothing pleased the stomach like some actual food.

He stared at his package for about a minute before he figured out that the instructions were on the back. The rest was simple. Chew on this, add water to that, and sprinkle this on item #1 ... whoops.

'Maybe the ants will like it.'

'Whatever it is.'

'Well, there ants. I doubt it's toxic.'

Shaman surreptitiously sprinkled the poweder beside himself. Sonja noticed him (or the others noticed and decided to not be obvious about it).

'Come up with something quick.'

'Okay. I got this covered.'

'Really?'

"It's an offering to the People of the Forest ... the little people ... the really little people."

Sonja seemed to digest that, then responded, "Oh, I thought you forgot to put it on your beef. I mess that up all the time."

"Well," Shaman said, "It was that too. I was hoping the Really Little People of the Forest would remind me to get it right next time. Maybe I'll just save it for lunch next time."

Sonja looked at him curiously.

"No, you wouldn't want to do that. Beef flavoring tastes lousy on chicken."

Shaman looked into his pack. Sure enough, his next meal was chicken. He looked back over to Sonja.

"You're pretty bright."

Sonja spared him a smile, "I know."

"See, my offering to the Really Little People of the Forest worked. I'd have ruined my last meal if you hadn't noticed me making the offering."

She studied him for a second then nodded.

"Just hang around smart people and you'll be okay."

It was Shaman's turn to nod.

"I'll try to do that."

The rest of the day was much less eventful. It involved trees, vines, mud, streams, and the constant buzz of insects. It wasn't bad tough. It was honest work.

Dan smiled inwardly. Sonja looked like her mother, but She was very intelligent, as far as six year olds went. He ate his MRE in silence, only when finishing did he nod to the others. 'the hike isn't too hard, and will give us a chance to see more of the flora and fauna here. It's been many years since I was last here this long."

Shaman polices his area then stands up. He shoulders his pack.

"Let's get going ... as soon as Sakura is done, that is."

"I can still summon any animal you want to see ... as long as it's with a ten klick radius."

'We hope.'

'It shouldn't be too hard.'

'Easy to promise.'

'Too true.'

"We can read the tracks to see what's about. How's that?"

Kamiko douses the fires yet again to make sure there were no burinign embers left as she gets everything packed away. "Sakura... you think she's here, Shaman?"

She adjusts her suit. "Let me get my friend out again ad we'll make the journey back."

QC Roll
Kamiko1:25 pm: Quantum Construct roll, last 3 QC

Kamiko *rolls* 8d10: 5+6+3+9+2+8+10+9: 52

The summoned familiar is smaller, but still strong enough to carry the bulk of the supplies as Kamiko grabs her personal gear. "Okay... this is going to be a fun hike. Better than flying it to be honest, you get to see more."

The day was young, and the party would be in no hurry, but even for novas a trip of a few miles with a fully loaded pack is not a issue. "Let's take our time on this."

note
I planned on closing this thread on this post, and keeping as such, I am going to close this thread.

{FIN}

Archived