Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - First Arc - Strange Winds

Ouroboros

The lich recoiled, though she lacked a face to express it her anger was clear in her voice, "My father is not some filthy mercenary ..."

"Peace daughter," a voice came down from the stairwell, "They are distraught, so much is clear. Go easy, and remember that our ways are not their own." A man came down from above to stand next to the Anupan, he appeared as any Thayim would, and Drage and Suragygh were reminded that the Anupans were only removed from the Thayim by culture and geography. He stood perhaps half a hand taller than his daughter, but where she was one of the Honored Dead, he was still living, appearing barely more than thirty or forty turns in age. Standing perhaps five and a half feet tall he was dwarfed by the Kassim and likewise towered over Drage. Despite his seeming age his eyes appeared to bear the weight of many years and a great deal of patience and wisdom. "You must please forgive my daughter, Neuth, she was merely following my wishes to remain undisturbed. Being that that is no longer the case, I have decided to come down and see to you personally. I am Ausar."

"Father ..."

"No daughter, what is done cannot be undone, they are adamant, and so I will hear them." The skeletal Anupan nodded, and then offered a bow to her father and retreated up to the second floor. The other man sighed, "She is yet young, and sought to do as I asked her. Enough of that however, what brings you here with your demands? My daughter spoke truth, I am no healer. I know not why you would even seek me out."

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drage visibly calmed, as it seemed things might go they way he had originally anticipated and he calmed and found his center. That the dead had left the room did not hurt. The Thayim presence, if only in looks was much easier to be sociable with than their twisted constructs.

"I pretend not to know the ways and reasons for your requested presence, only that a boy's life hangs in the balance, the Light could not heal him and the clerics wished your council. If I knew the words to present the urgency of this, I would. Too much life has left Iannin as of late, Siponak as reaped a bounty, please do not let a confusion of words have him take another. Please."

I need a drink.

"There is some magic object causing his demise. Perhaps that is why the Healers asked for you. I don't know for sure. I do know that whatever it is, the Healers were perplexed and yours was the first name to come up. As my companion has said, please help him."

"If it is a matter of price, I am not without resources. I would prefer to talk on the move though, the boy was worsening by the hour."

Suragygh steps aside in such a way as to allow Ausar to pass, if he is willing.

The Anupan man frowned, "That does not make sense. Magic can be nullified, even the most potent enchantments have weaknesses, the power of Elan's vitae is great but not limitless." He waved off Suragygh's mention of payment absently, "Were I concerned with coin you'd not have been turned away at all unless you were unable or unwilling to pay in the first place."

"Father," Neuth's voice came down from above, "The Mire dweller said that the boy would not take sanare. It could be-"

"Say no more daughter," Ausar cut her off. He fixed an eye on Drage, "Who gave you my name?"

"The Clerics ..."

"I know that fool, I am neither deaf nor senile. Which cleric was treating the boy? Who told you to see me?" Ausar's stare was penetrating, and the intensity of it drove the Murg back a step. "Speak man!"

"Bro-brother Gral."

A gasp, such as it was, came from up the stairs, and Ausar suddenly straightened, "There is precious little time to waste. You should have said that Gral sent you from the start. There is more at stake here than mere life and death." The Anupan padded himself down, touching pockets external and internal on the long robs he wore. "You there, Kassim, you had better have a strong back and fast wings. Take us to the Light now."

'Idle words are wasted breath.'

Suragygh didn't speak, but headed out of the building. He turned so that his wings could stretch out in the alleyway. Facing the two 'little people', he said,

"Take my arms and I will pull you tight. I won't let you fall."

Once they were both safely in his grasp, the Ankassim crouched down until his haunches were nearly on the ground. His wings began flapping. He took a deep breath, exhaled it slowly then with a shout propelled himself up into the air. With a huge rush, they broke free of the alley and into the light. Suragygh rose up enough to be clear of all the nearby rooftops then arced swiftly back toward the Temple Square. Unlike his approach to Ausar's lair, the might warrior bent every fiber to getting back to the the wounded boy. There was no time to waste. Suragygh was making the mental calculations of exactly how close he could get to the Temple doors without slamming into the walls. This urgency was only heightened by the Anupan's concern. Something told him that this sorcerer wasn't one to worry easily.

Drage rarely let himself feel chastised anymore, but Ausar had made him feel like a child who had been caught licking his fingers in a mudbox.

Fickle that a name should have such sway with ya.

He shook the feeling as they took off, once more asserting himself as the hardened veteran he was.

I can take a tongue lashin' from a lich if it means the boy lives to see the Twins rise.

It was far more awkward to be carried when there were multiple passengers, he felt more like a clutched toy and his armor was being uncomfortably jammed into his ribs. He kept telling himself that they were all petty things in comparison to the larger concern.

Sur seemed to feel the urgency that Ausar had brought to the situation and was making excellent time. The temple was looming before them just as a creeping sense of worry was working its way through Drage.

What was the larger concern? The way Ausar reacted, it implied the situation could potentially be even more dire than Drage thought. The Murg turned his head, and spoke loudly to be heard over the rushing wind, "Master Ausar, what concerns you? Why does Brother Gral inspire such quickness where before there was reluctance?"

"I get requests from various clerics and sorcerers all the time seeking my advice of some magical thing or another; the clerics often seek my aid in treating magical afflictions despite my repeated refusal to jump at every minor malady that they can very well treat without my help." He scoffed, "When you get to be my age you cease to desire the fame that such deeds will bring, because you soon realize that it will only bring more people to your door. I am not a healer, and while I am practiced with techniques that make the clerics' jobs easier, there is little that those who follow the ways of the Goddess or the Light cannot heal on their own."

"And Gral?"

"Gral actually knows what I study of late, and unlike many Gral would only seek my council and help when it was truly required."

OOC
Please make an Insight roll, DC 15

{Sur is oblivious, getting a 13.}

The go racing up to the walls of the Temple so fast, people barely have a chance to jump out of the way less they become Kassim-cakes. Suragygh doubles over from the effort to halt his progress. True to his word, he doesn't drop his passengers. Going from doubled over to a crouch, he lets the Anupan and Murg down to the cobblestones.

Saying something like 'Hurry up' would be pointless, he thinks. Instead, he merely keeps his stride in pace with theirs and three (of their) steps behind.

Insight
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 1+4: 5
Fail by two steps

Drage nodded at the response, not that the Anupan was looking.

How vague.

He braced himself as they landed, keeping a hand on his Halbaxe and one clutching the Kassim. He couldn't let the subject lie, even if the response was long in coming, if at all. Drage kept pace with Ausar easily as he climbed the steps, "What is it that you are studying?"

His curiosity wanted an answer, and he also wanted to be prepared for whatever they potentially might be going up against. Sure the boy could die...but then what? Would Chaos take his body? Was this some machination of Kaer...or Quaress? With Iannin in its weakened state, was Siponak looking to expand into the world of the living?

Ausar looked at Drage, and then around, hesitant to say anything for fear of being overheard. "I dare not say, there are too many ears to hear what they should not." They moved quickly through the antechamber of the temple, the Dome of Tal, and out into the sunlit garden. "Perhaps later there will be opportunity to explain." Ausar immediately sprinted for Brother Gral and the small cluster around the boy. He was shouting commands to the clerics before he had moved a dozen paces, and skidded to a stop by the small prone figure in mere moments, pushing people away.

"All of you, away from the boy." He grabbed the father's arm, "You as well, what I must do ... there cannot be any near the boy." There was a shower of glowing motes, all colors of the rainbow, that coalesced into a staff in the Anupan's hand. He planted the staff on the ground and a circle filled with arcane symbols and runes began to glow on the ground, starting faintly and gaining intensity. The boy lay in the center and the light washed over him casting his features in blue-green hues. "A vessel, I need a vessel, something pure, cleanest water, or a polished mirror, a gem, something without flaw."

Sorry about not posting this weekend, I ended up being online very very little.

It was more of an answer than Drage had expected, and he could not argue with the urgency to save the boy. That was of far more importance at the moment.

When Ausar asked for room, even for Branil, he gently took an arm of the Muthay and guided him back, trying to be reassuring at the same time. Branil's let himself be guided, but never let his gaze leave Tarnil, his eyes darting to take in the sudden presence of the overly arcane. "Will he--Will he be okay?"

Before he could get an answer, the Anupan was quick at work,

"A vessel' date=' I need a vessel, something pure, cleanest water, or a polished mirror, a gem, something without flaw."[/quote']

The Murg shook his head, "I have nothing that fits." He rubbed at his eye. "Unless the need be dire, then my eye may could be used."

Must be outta my mind. Probably kill ya, you daft Murg. Least for a good service.

Drage lowered his voice to answer Branil before Ausar could reply, "He is in the best hands of the city. His chances could be no better. Let's pray to the Twin's for their Light to shine true and guidance for Ausar's hand."

And Siponak's to fumble.

Suragygh struggled to keep up with the arcane implications of what he was hearing. Even when he heard the Anupan's plea, he was unsure what to do until the Murg mentioned his eye.

"Wait, I have something."

His fingers dug into his neck pouch and clinched something between his talons. He pulled the small round orb out and held it up the the sky.

"I have this pearl plucked less than a year ago from the Sea. Will this do?"

He didn't have gems. He usually was paid in coin, but there had been a chance to turn a heavy chest into a handful of pearls a few ports back. You could leave a chest at the bottom when a ship floundered. You couldn't fly away with a chest full of gold and silver - not easily anyway. If this didn't work ... would the boy die because he found pearls less expensive to buy than rubies?

"We shall see. The gods will that it is sufficient, if not," Ausar looked to Drage, "I may need your eye. I assume that it is no longer bound?" Drage nodded sadly, and Ausar turned back to the boy with a single nod of his head. "Give me the pearl, and pray that it will suffice!" He took the gem from Suragygh; it was large, perhaps as big across as the tip of the Anupan's small finger. He extended his hand and his staff out over the boy. The circle flared to deep azure, fairly crackling with the divine power of Elan's blood.

Within the circle the boy began to cough, his body wracked with spasms as he contorted and hacked up noxious looking substances that soon transformed into energies that Drage recognized as the raw power of chaos, having encountered their like time and again during the war. A vortex soon formed as the stuff spiraled up and into the pearl, which now floated freely within the glowing column of power as the Anupan worked. Soon the pearl began to discolor, like water with an oil skim that refracted the light, the surface of the pearl began to cast wild colors like a prism as the chaotic energy flooded into it.

"Kear's black balls, there is too much to contain! Drage, your eye! Now! Gral, you must be ready, the boy's life is but a thread!" Sweat stood out on Ausar's brow, and the column of power above the circle flickered and pulsed with power. Drage plucked the long blind eye from his head and gave the jewel to the sorcerer. Into the circle it went, a flare of purest light sprang from Ausar's staff and with a gesture he cut the thread of chaos from the pearl and jammed the jewel into the stream. The boy heaved and tossed, thrashing as though gripped by a seizure, and crying out as the dark power left his tortured body. At last he lay still and the last trace of the chaotic energies entered the garnet, now shot through with black veins like an infection. With a cry of triumph Ausar stumbled backwards and collapsed to the grass, the tainted gems likewise fell to the ground beside the boy.

Gral and Xax sprang to the child, their hands already aglow with the divine gift of the light. "Touch not those gems, none of you!" he commanded even as he lay healing hands to the boy, "The evil they contain is malevolent, it could be that they only appear to have contained the taint, as sure as the jewel the boy picked from the ground was merely a ruse!" Warm golden glows enveloped the boy from head to toe and with a ragged gasp he drew a breath and then lay still, the rise and fall of his chest letting all present know that he would live. Mere feet away the Aunpan lay still and unmoving where he had fallen.

As the Chaos was made manifest, Suragygh ground his teeth in anger. The rumors and whispers of what it might be like were so varied as to be useless. No tavern tale bore the slightest resemblance to this raw, evil essence pulsating before him. When the deed was done, he had no intentions of touching the gem, nor the pearl. That was death, and not a clean one. When words finally came forth from his throat, the were accompanied by a deep, primal growl.

"How do we destroy it? Whatever it takes, I will do it."

His own words echoed in his mind. They were foolhardy, jumping up into a fog with no idea were the cliff walls were. What mattered most was his image of his Father the last time they had met.

Vengeance.

Whatever it takes.

Branil tore from Drage's grasp and ran to Tarnil as the Clerics worked over him. There would be nothing that could keep the father from his son, now that the danger appeared to have passed.

It appeared that the boy would live, and Drage was pleased to see Chaos vanquished. Relatively speaking, anyway...he pulled a patch from under his armor that he often wore out on the water to keep the gem from crusting with sea spray and pulled it quickly over his head. It didn't appear that he would be regaining that gem anytime soon, if ever and it wouldn't do to frighten anyone with his empty socket.

Another thing of the Murg has passed. Now gone from this world. How long before I join them?

Drage walked over to where Ausar was lying and knelt over him, checking for the beat of his heart and the rise of his chest, but found nothing. Despite his feelings about the man, he had saved the boy and to let him fall in the Temple of the Light without trying would be against all that he believed.

We both made worthy sacrifices this day, I do not wish to share news of your demise to your kindred worm-food. You gamble with arts beyond you, and doubly so, you take on Chaos. Yet, a young life may see another twinrise. I do not hold myself to take the place of the Judge, I give that over to Them. They will be the ones who decide on your life this day.

Drage gently laid Ausar flat and put a hand each on his eyes and chest. The Knight closed his eye and quietly began chanting.

To shield you from the Light that will warm your soul,

My hands beckon that there is more to be done.

Rise from your injury and cast off their toll,

On this brightest day, the dark grave, you will shun.

He repeated it, feeling the warmth of the Twins suffusing his body and entering Ausar. He did not have to see it, but knew that he too, like the Clerics had been, was surrounding in the warm glow of Tal & Len. He prayed as he chanted, casting all into the fire that filled his body, that the Gods of Truth & Grace would see the right done this day and make the decision that was right for Iannin.

Drage floated along in a moment of utter peace, his mind enveloped in warmth and his soul free of concern when from far away he felt his hand move. Ausar's chest had begun moving again as his body took a breath and then another. Then the faint beating of the Anupan's heart began, growing stronger. Today would not be the day that Siponak welcomed one of his own.

Healing check
Treatment - routine

Healing - Resurrection DC20

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 17+3: 20

Brother Gral had stepped away from the boy and his father, and approached Drage as he knelt by the fallen sorcerer, "You needn't do that he'll-" His comment halted as Ausar suddenly gasped and sat up. The Brother shrugged, and then smiled. "This ought to be interesting," he mumbled, mostly to himself.

Ausar seemed disoriented for a moment but then looked up at the sky and at the other people nearby, "How? What?" He looked at Drage confusion clear on his face, "How long has it been? The sun? It has always taken half a day before this." He stretched, joints popping, "I'm getting too old for this."

"Funny that you of all people would complain of such a thing," Gral interjected, an amused look plain on his face.

"Yes, well, it's my right." Ausar stood up, levering himself from the grass with his staff. He shuffled over to stand over the two gems, staring down at them. He rolled a shoulder until it let out a sharp crack, "Well, at least it worked." He prodded the pearl with the end of his rune engraved staff, "The boy will not be the same," he added quietly, "With luck it will be limited to some memory loss, but he may be different." He looked at them and pointed to his head with his free hand, "In the mind. Gral, you will watch him? Ensure that there was nothing that escaped me." The Brother nodded, and glanced at the boy who was talking to his father and Xax. "Good." Ausar looked at Drage and Suragygh, "I'm sorry, for your eye, and your treasure." If he had heard Suragygh's question he made no indication, more likely however it had fallen on dead ears, and would need to be asked once more.

Of course the Twin's gift is wasted.

Drage's face curled into contempt as the lich stood up.

There had been no risk for him.

"It was a worthy sacrifice." Drage looked as Tarnil and Branil hugged, Xax having to put a cautioning hand on the father Muthay as his embrace threatened to smother the boy. "I wasn't getting much from it anymore."

"I second the good Kassim's thoughts, if not with as much fervor." Drage said, addressing the quivering Sur. "The gems need be destroyed. They are too dangerous to be left in anyone's hands. If they cannot be shattered, then best to drop them in the fathomless depths near the Spear, less they tempt even the most ordered of minds to their tainted ways."

He also wanted to say goodbye. The garnet represented the whole of his life previous to three years ago and he could not let it go so easy. It was the last vestige of a companion, his family, his village, and his people. He did not regret in the slightest giving it up to save a life, but its absence made him feel hollow.

"Whatever their fate, I would see them gone. I could not rest not knowing." Drage finished.

"Such things as these cannot be destroyed." Ausar was still looking at them as they lay on the grass. With a gesture they rose into the air, orbiting each other around a central point. "Or perhaps I should say that the," he hesitated before continuing in hushed tones, "the ... energies within cannot be destroyed. The gems themselves are no more than they were, and with time they will degrade and release what is trapped inside. Come, we should not talk of this where so man ears can hear. This is foul talk indeed. Gral, if you will?"

Brother Gral nodded, "Yes, you are right, please come with me."

They turned to go but Branil ran up, "Wait!" He carried the boy on his hip, the youngster was asleep on his father's shoulder. "Thank you," he said to Drage, offering his hand. "Thank you all, we have so little, I could not have born the loss, I thank you all."

"Lord Wulkyn had not called for your boy's end, and the Lord Siponak was not ready with his sickle this day," Ausar said, not quite absently, but as though it were long years of rote for him. "You should bring him back here in a month's time for Brother Gral to check up on him, he has been through much." The man looked a little more worried than he had a moment before, but nodded nonetheless.

Looking to Branil, he said,

"This is a war everyone must fight. There is no sitting one' self aside, for there is no safe place and the enemy cares nothing for mercy. Fight it when yo can, tell others when you can not. It is the only sane thing to do."

He nodded to the male and his sleeping young one.

"I am happy that the Twins provided you with the right aid at the right time. He found Drage when you needed him most. He found the priests who knew who to call, and they sent us to find the Sorcerer that could fight the Curse. I think there was a pattern to this, and I will give thanks. You should give thanks to, and give thinks that there are those who will continue to aid you. Don't fear. Have hope."

Drage turned to follow Brother Gral and Ausar when Branil stopped them,

They turned to go but Branil ran up, "Wait!" He carried the boy on his hip, the youngster was asleep on his father's shoulder. "Thank you," he said to Drage, offering his hand. "Thank you all, we have so little, I could not have born the loss, I thank you all."

"Lord Wulkyn had not called for your boy's end, and the Lord Siponak was not ready with his sickle this day," Ausar said, not quite absently, but as though it were long years of rote for him. "You should bring him back here in a month's time for Brother Gral to check up on him, he has been through much." The man looked a little more worried than he had a moment before, but nodded nonetheless.

Drage took the offered hand firmly, "I only did what anyone would do. Every spark of life deserves its chance to shine on Iannin. Take Ausar's words to heart, but do not worry. Many things remain from the battles a few turns back. Remains can crop up anywhere, as is its nature. It is something to stand vigilent against, despite its apparent defeat. Your boy has fought a good fight, but will no doubt bear the scars of the battle, this is all that need be watched."

Drage had more realistic concerns. Whatever had taken the boy, could very well have taken a deeper root. But it did not help to make Branil despair. Such thoughts could cause more harm than good, and right now, all Branil needed, and wanted to know, was that his son was going to live.

Looking to Branil, he said,

"This is a war everyone must fight. There is no sitting one' self aside, for there is no safe place and the enemy cares nothing for mercy. Fight it when yo can, tell others when you can not. It is the only sane thing to do."

He nodded to the male and his sleeping young one.

"I am happy that the Twins provided you with the right aid at the right time. He found Drage when you needed him most. He found the priests who knew who to call, and they sent us to find the Sorcerer that could fight the Curse. I think there was a pattern to this, and I will give thanks. You should give thanks to, and give thinks that there are those who will continue to aid you. Don't fear. Have hope."

Drage arched a brow at Sur's enthusiastic speech.

War? What would you know of war?

"Come, good Kassim, let's take your enthusiasm and direct it towards these treasures of ours. The boy and his father need rest before they go back into this horrid heat." Drage said, beckoning.

The small group followed Brother Gral as he led them into one of the buildings of the Temple, a large study by its looks. The ceiling was tall enough for all, and glassed windows at the top bathed the room in light. Shelves lined one wall, filled with cloth and leather-bound tomes. A simple desk held the opposite wall, a large oil painting of a building floating among the clouds hung above it. The desk itself was clear, though drawers were sure to contain ink and parchment. There were a scattering of chairs, one large enough to hold Sur. Off to the back an opening led to what appeared to be the bedroom, though not much could be seen through the partially closed wooden door.

"Yes. I'm too focused on this hatred of mine some times. It gets the better of me."

The Ankassim looks at the pearl. "If by treasure you mean the pearl, I'm not sure anyone should touch it. If you mean your former gem ... I'm not sure where to start. This is my first real encounter with Chaos. I was not in the final battle. My honor took me elsewhere," he adds looking away.

"The war took my Father," he adds with a deep sigh, sounding like a bellow stoking a forge. He is silent for a long moment. "Now my Honor sets my down this road that has started here today. I came to the Temple seeking guidance, some way to atone for not being at my Father's side. Now I believe I have been shown a sign. I have finally glimpsed the Enemy. I must find away so that all those deaths will never be in vain. I know I can not do it alone. I know a thousand Ankassim could hardly make a dent, but if I tell just one other soul and he carries that word to another ... until there are enough to get the job done."

He looks at Drage, Ausar, and the brothers, "That is my hope, anyway."

Brother Gral had barely closed the door behind them when Sur spoke up again, saying in plain voice what they had been trying so hard to keep quiet. "Freind Kassim, please, your passion is commendable, but I beg you to be careful what you say and where. Talk of Chaos could be heard by the wrong ears and start a panic, or worse. Many would take even the word as a sign of corruption." He sighed as he fell into a chair, the room was no cooler for the thick stone walls and Gral wiped sweat from his bow. "I am sorry, you have your reasons to hold such passion. This city, it is at a cliff's edge. If this heat continues, or if something else happens like a panic, I fear it could fall into anarchy and riots."

Ausar nodded, "Best to not mention such things. Most citizens know little or nothing of Chaos that is not rumor or myth, and most all of it wrong. That is why I could not say before, I dared not with risk of so many overhearing. We should be able to speak freely now however." The two gems floated to the table and set down, "These are not ideal to contain that which they now do." Even now, in private, he seemed reluctant to speak directly of Chaos. "At its center the pearl is imperfect, a burr that irritated the oyster into creating the gem. It will likely last only a few weeks, perhaps a month or two at most. The gem, longer, but nothing is proof against this evil except Elanil, ritually prepared, and forged. Even that may not be proof for all time."

The room was quiet for a moment as the four contemplated the nature of Chaos. Finally Ausar spoke again, "I have no Elanil however. Trade in the metal has always been sparse, and this weather is preventing trade as you are sure to know. Even a small amount would suffice, but I have seen none in weeks, and none will arrive until this weather is dealt with. If you wish to strike a blow Suragygh, get me some Elanil and I will lock away the taint within these gems for longer than any of us will live and centuries beyond."

Suragygh takes his admonishments to heart, and is visibly chastised.

"Hmmmm ... okay. I don't know what Elanil is and probably wouldn't recognize it if you told me."

Sur rubs his chin,

"But, I think I know who might be able to get some, if it can be had on the island. The problem would be not getting robbed, or ripped off. I'm not so much worried about the robbed part. It's the 'being ripped off' part that worries me. I'm in the habit of buying rare and exotic things. I need someone who knows what they are doing ... and isn't afraid to get a little dirty doing it."

The Ankassim takes in the assembly in the room.

"Any volunteers?"

Drage tugged on his beard thoughtfully, "I don't know of any Elanil to be had here, nor Elantine. There be plenty in the Mire, but that be a far trek and a dangerous one at that. Assuming we could even get a Quaress' kiss worth of wind to get off Ki'ninay. If there be any on the isle or near it, I sure be able to dig it. Refine, I know no living."

Drage shrugged, "I give what help I can, gladly. My coin is short, though. I fear I would be a burden upon those that would have me. As of late, with the weather, few have been able to hire me. Without the roof of the Light, I'd be sleeping under a hedge or a muckin' barn."

He paused, but then added, "I could ask around, see what the word is. There might be someone willing to part with a blade or bauble of Elanil if the trade be right."

"Elanil is a magic infused metal, in all respects it is the same as steel," Brother Gral explained. "The difference is lies in the fact that it is infused with the blood of the Magus. Elanil accepts enchantments of more easily than steel and makes them more powerful by its mere inclusion. It also makes potent tools for magical work like the carving of runes."

Ausar nodded, "The infusion of Elan's Blood makes it an ideal vessel to contain Chaos; Elan was the first of the gods to distill from that primordial abyss of disorder after all." He sighed, "If I could get a small amount, a lump not larger than a Pooka fruit would be more than enough to contain that which I removed from the boy."

The Anupan grimaced, "The problem is that the ritual must be performed starting while the Elanil is still a raw ore, through its smelting, and forging. Would that I could simply lay more gold out until some soul was willing to sell some dagger, or breast plate, I would."

"And," Gral added, "there are no mines on the island, not so much as copper can be found in the soil here, any ore will have to be something shipped to the island, and if Ausar says there is not to be found, there is not to be found in all of Bib'ney."

Pooka fruit are similar to a Kiwi but about half to 1/3 the size, like a large strawberry.

"Well, if we are constrained by time and we must leave the island," Drage started, already assuming who would comprise the party, "then I think it would be wisest if all three of us went. Sur has the conviction. Ausar has the knowledge and capability. If we have no definite location or resource to find one, my path I took from the Wall could be reversed, we are sure to find Elanil along the way. That way be much closer than the Mire, if time be an issue."

Suragygh leans in to Ausar and Drage.

"There is such a place that might have the ore," he says in a voice barely above a whisper. "It's on the far side of the island. It's a gathering place and market for smugglers and captains who make no pretense to be anything but pirates. As you can imagine, they are a rough and suspicious lot. I am known there, but I can't say anyone there has a great love of me ... or for anyone else for that matter."

"I will lead us there and we best bring coin and blade ... or spell. They won't do anything out of the goodness of their hearts. They slit our throats if they think they can get away with it. Outside of that," the Ankassim gives a mighty shrug, "they keep to their own honor, each to his own."

Suragygh looks from one to another.

"When do we leave?"

Ausar shook his head, "I know of where you speak. The pirate bay of To'ren. I will give you coin, coin enough and then some, but I will not travel with you." He gestured to the two gems, still hovering over the table, "I will keep these contained, and I wish to study them. We were lucky, there was much chaos, that boy, he will grow into great power if the chaos did not strip it from him. I am shocked that he lasted as long as he did."

"The grace of the gods and the Light blessed him this day," Gral intoned from his seat. He wore a little smile as the Anupan glanced at him, "Ausar does not share my faith that the gods watch over us all."

"Not true, I just don't believe that the gods dabble in the day to day of the struggles of Iannin. Surely they wish for Iannin to survive against the chaos, but I believe that they manipulate events on a grander scale."

"And I believe that one cannot manipulate the grand scale without controlling the parts that contribute to the sum. Wulkyn orchestrates creation, and Siponak ushers lives through the cycle, these effect every man, woman, and child, no matter how grand or banal their fate. Why would their actions in the war against chaos not be the same?"

Ausar rolled his eyes, "I am defeated." He turned back to the other two men, "Buy as much Elanil as you can with the coin I give you. I can always use more. There is more chaos in this world than these two gems contain."

"Sounds as though we have a plan." Drage said. "We should gather our things and meet this eve. Travel at night will be quicker without the heat to hinder us. I know a farm we could stay at the first day."

"As to you, good Ausar. I trust not the evil within to lay poised during our journey. I have no doubts in your skill, but I think it a fair request that the gems be held here under the Light. Not to say that your study be barred, just that more eyes are present & watchful, and more lips present at the moment a prayer is needed." he added.

I would not put the temptation beyond you. The likes of interest like yours is what started this all. Would not that we return and find the gems in the place of your eyes and a city full of death.

"Very well, I'll go home and gather some provisions for the journey. Drage, we can meet back here in the hour before sunset. I'll take off when the Sun passes beneath the Council Hall."

"Good Ausar, can you have the money by then? If there is a need for security, I can help, obviously."

"Brother Gral, I would hope you have a blessing for our journey, so that we find what is needed. I believe the Gods are in the small things, so we should never take anything for granted."

"If that is all?"

Suragygh turns to leave, his great wings already flexing for the short journey home.

'And if we don't find it here, then were do we go next? If the Pirates don't have it, they will know who does. The Hunt will continue.'

Ausar looked to Gral and the brother shrugged, "We can of course, though we mustn't let any know of what these are, or leave them were they could be interfered with." He sighs, "I supposed that means that they will be here. I cannot control any other part of the temple to the same degree as my own rooms. Ausar, you will be able to ward them, yes?"

"Of course. I can erect something of a temporary ward to prevent tampering while I am away." The Anupan removed a small purse from within his robes, "This should be enough and more for you to buy the Elanil that I need. If you can get more, do so with the funds you have there, I can always find use for it, and it is rare enough that I will not regret the acquisition." He said some words and a silvery sphere enveloped the two gems. Rising he said, "If that is all I must go back to my shop. I will return in the evening Gral, and give these a proper examination."

Gral rose too, "Thank you my friend, the Light be with you." Ausar nodded and saw himself out. "As for you," he held his hands up before them, "A blessing of the twins divine on you both. May the light illuminate you path and blind your enemies, and may you return successful in your task."

Drage took the blessing from Gral with his eyes closed, his face towards the sky and his palms open upward. The small ritual complete, he nodded his ascent to Sur's proposal. There would not be much for him to gather, though if the place was on the other side of the island, it would take time to get there and he would need supplies.

A simple matter, to fetch Elanil. The coin provided, a destination and guide provided. Night travel will keep away curious and overly aware farmers, even if we must shy from the Twins. This town Sur speaks of can be no worse than the rabble 'round the Sea of Tears. How many a port did I push those sap-sucking Skrofan Chaos worshippers through, too green in the trunk to know better? Landing where they saw smoke and a dock instead of beaching where they were told. Can be no worse than the ore smugglers, or the Lenai poachers, this town.

He borrowed a small satchel from the Temple and took some meager foodstuffs from the larder, just enough to live on (taking an evening meal as he went). His bow and what little he could reap from the land would garner him a fuller belly. He checked his bow, examining the string and its twin replacements for frays and signs of decay. He went through his arrows, counting off the Engraved ones and checking the runes. Double checking that the Lenai-feather fletching matched their purpose.

Despite my desire, a trip down near the Mire will be needed soon, or a compromise to my skill. These arrows will not last forever and I will need new feathers. Perhaps I can find a Ssenast village that survived, or perhaps some A'fen traders. Will need coin for that, or goods to trade. Perhaps we will get jumped at this town and I will be able to tax the ruffians purse for my troubles...sell him to Thayim slave traders.

Drage snorted, drawing a look from a cleric running a broom across the stone floor of the chamber in which the Murg worked. "The dust." The cleric returned to his work, the disturbed motes reflecting in the waning sunlight and Drage smirked as he finished looking over the ammunition.

The time approaches.

He quickly and efficiently gathered his things, checking the draw on his bow one last time to ensure a good string. Satisfied, he made his way towards the main area of the Temple to meet Sur on his return.

"Uncle Suragygh, let me come with you," asked his nephew.

"You don't know were I'm going."

"Well, if it wasn't interesting, you would have told us," he continued.

"Leave your Uncle alone," interceded Sur's Mother. She was finishing his pack to take on the trip. She knew it was somewhere close, but her son hadn't said, and she knew better than asking. Her grandson on the other hand.

"I can help," the young Ankassim said.

"I'm sure you can," Sur responded, "but this is a job for me and me alone. You stay here. The town may have troubles if this heat wave continues. Stay close to home to defend your cousins and your Grandmother."

"It's ready," said Sur's Mother as she hoisted the pack to her larger son. She didn't like the look in her Son's eyes. He was clearly troubled by something. It was something that had happened near the Temple district and once he left, she meant to find out. Discreetly of course.

"Thanks Mother." Suragygh leaned forward and rubbed his powerful jawline against his Mother's snout. He turned to leave. At the door, he stopped, his eyes still out on the street.

"I'll be back in a few days, Mother."

With that, he walked out the door.

"Stay safe," she whispered once he was gone.

Suragygh would have preferred to fly, but he needed to keep a low profile, so he walked up to the Temple of the Twins instead. There was nearly an hour before they needed to be gone. Now he waited.

As the sun began to set, a burning and molten blot on the far distant horizon, the shadows of Bib'ney grew long and the heat began to abate some. The unnatural stillness remained however, and so the city still suffered under a blanket of its own heat given nowhere to go. Still a respite was a respite, and, as minor as it was, it was still welcome. The temple was quiet under the open sky. The few brothers in the garden were absorbed in silent prayer to the heavens facing westward toward the orange glow that was quickly fading, replaced by a deepening purple that was already showing bright stars in the east. Gral offered the two adventurers a brief word and a repetition of the blessing from earlier, before bidding them a quick journey.

The journey was indeed quick, Ki'ninay being scarcely more than 100 leagues from tip to end, and Suragygh being more than able of body to carry Drage the distance with only a quick stop in the middle to stretch and have a drink. True night had fallen on the island before the two set down outside of To'ren in the jungle that surrounded the pirate town on nearly three sides. The two got a solid look at To'ren from the air; a large cove, hemmed in almost completely by steep cliffs, with only a narrow gap between them large enough for two ships to squeeze through at once. The landward side of the town was surrounded by a palisade of native wood, broken only by a single gate. There was a hundred spans of clear cut ground between the palisade and the point where the jungle sprang up like a wall. No road cut through the jungle that they saw, and no effort had been made to remove the stumps of the cleared trees. It was a swath cut purely to keep unexpected visitors from arriving via land, and Suragygh knew that it was highly unusual, and highly frowned upon, for anybody to come to the town by the land route; this was a pirate town, and those who didn't make their trade, and their comings and goings, by sea were not welcome at best.

The jungle was quiet as they set down to formulate a plan of action for entering the city and finding what they needed.

Stuff
I don't recall if we set up terms for distance but since Forge gridded the map in squares of 100 km I'm going to say 1 league = 1 km and derive measurements from there, you can use the metric chart in the book to better know your ranges, speeds, and masses for powers and stats.

1 league = 1 km

1 span = 1 meter

The island is plenty small enough that what would be a walk/hike of a couple/few days is only a couple of hours, even with breaks. You're on the outskirts of To'ren.

Suragygh sounded off with a quiet rumbling in his chest. He took in his surroundings before turning Drage.

"I could fly us around and come in from the seaside. If we could set down quietly, all's good. If we are detected, not so good. On the other hand, we can walk up to the gate and ask to be let in. Down side: we are two rather well-armed men coming in during the dead of night. I would find the act distrustful and I'm not a criminal. The third option is we wait for day and approach either side. That would be easier on our safety, but blow any chance of secrecy. I personally favor the first option. My eyes are keen and there has to be a warehouse we can land behind as cover. From there, how's to tell us 'boo' about how we arrived."

"Your opinion," he asks Drage.

Drage stroked his whiskers thoughtfully as he gazed over the small city of thieves, smugglers and opportunists. The eerie glow of oranges and blues already emanating from uncovered lucenite lamps, "I agree. If you fly us out a bit o'er the water out and about, we can come on in, in the black. It'll make us appear to have come by sea by whoever be watchin'. Better than no vessel. Though I think anyone comin' to a place like this unarmed, be a fresh fish, and ripe for harvestin' if you follow me. I expect all come armed an' ready for fists."

He paused a moment before continuing. "We can get ourselves a bit damp, don't forget to unstring the bow and say we be of a crew of a ship lost without the wind, we can make a play of buying some supplies for you to fly off with, I'll get us what Elanil we can, the 'ship's' main call for the port, and we fly out, hopefully with only a little brawling."

"Hurm, Seaside it is then. Our mystery ship will be off site and looking for supplies. That's a good cover story. Now, if they jump us, their purses will be the ones lighter. We should take a care to stay clear of the major captains. That's a messy way to go."

"I'll try to buy some wine and fresh vegetables. You go for the main course."

He hunkers down and stares at Drage.

"We need to have the name of the ship down. I think the 'Wind Until Dawn' is out and about. We could use her. Crews 43 and does work on both sides of the the law. Her captain is an A'fen name Wa'wasfa. His first mate is a Thayim named Helema't. She's hardassed and attractive to some. Corker is his carpenter/surgeon. He's thayim. Liyastra is the A'fen Navigator. That group is the constant; the rest of the crew is catch as catch can."

Once he believed Drage had the information somewhat memorized, he offered him a leg up for the trip. It was time to give a wide circle around the fence and come back.

Up and over the forest, south, then east, and out over the ocean. Here the air was cooler, no doubt because of the water which still lapped against the island through tidal action -even as the surface seemed unusually calm for the lack of wind- was cool as it came down from the north. Sur took them on a wide loop that would allow them to come at the tiny cove's opening nearly direct from the sea itself, a vector that would lend credence to their story. The approached the towering cliffs and both men saw that despite the jungle growth that capped each side and draped over the precipitous drops there were small structure's on both peaks looking down into the cove and out into the ocean.

Sur had never seen then buildings from below, very likely a key intent of their design and construction, and had never had reason to fly into To'ren prior to this. As they approached lights flickered into being, torches, and lucenite baubles, glowing orbs of water and metal that spilled out blue light as the metal "embers" were submerged. "Who goes there in the night?!" came the call from the northern most building, closer to them by spans. "Know that tha ballistae are dead on accurate. Ya'll be skewered like a rock lizard if'n ya don' heave to and answer!"

Perception checks (DC 15)
[jameson] 10:55 am: Perception Checks

[jameson] 10:55 am: Sur (+3)

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 19+3: 22

[jameson] 10:55 am: Drage (+4)

[envoy] 10:55 am: whew!

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 17+4: 21

Suragygh pulled up slowly, making a difficult maneuver seem somewhat easy. When he had come to a full hover, he called out into the dark he kept his voice free of any surprise, anger, or urgency.

"I am Nur-Suragygh, Ship's Warden of the the Wind Until Dawn. She's making slow progress in this blasted weather, so Captain Wa'wasfa sent us to seek out the closest landfall. I recognized the coast, so I came here. I bring with me a Murg named Drage. We need to buy some select goodies come daylight then we'll be on our way."

He waits a moment or two,

"Do I have to flap here all night, or is there some money to be made?"

This wasn't the first time, nor would it likely be the last, that Sur recognized his great strength and stamina came with the price of being a great target. He didn't relish dodging arrows. Those could be annoying. Ballistae bolts, on the other hand, were likely to be down right uncomfortable.

"Hold yer damn 'orses, we do be checkin' ta see if Wind Until Dawn be out a' port." Any conversation or sound from within the strategically overgrown stone watchtower was impossible to hear, and Drage and Sur both silently offered prayer that the Wind Until Dawn was indeed out of port; a poor choice for their story could result in a rather unpleasant surprise attack in the dark sky over To'ren. "Aye, yer free ta go inta port. There be naught be hard tack and grog fer provis'on in alla da town, but ye 'ave Quaress' own luck ta have made it a'tall." Not waiting for them to change their minds or ask further questions Sur surged forward under powerful wingbeats that drove the pair over the black water below and toward the torch and lamp-lit town ahead.

Approaching To'ren the heard music first, followed by drunken singing, and finally, as they descended to land, the unmistakable sounds shouting and brawling. Pirate towns were unlawful havens for every manner of freebootin' man and woman, and most held no law save the Pirate Code. The two set down on the docks and a quick look to the sky confirmed that half of the night was used up, dawn would break in four or five hours. The docks themselves were less than half full, and the ships that sat tethered to the piers were devoid of all but a few lonely men who had drawn short straw and were keeping watch over their vessels.

The town itself was an architectural chaos, a jumble of ramshackle buildings seemingly made from driftwood or scrapped ships, to more sturdily built native wood and stone buildings. As seen from above during their approach the streets were narrow, zig-zaging, affairs that wound drunkenly between the buildings as little more than well trod paths. The lone exception was a single wide and straight thoroughfare that cut the town in two and moved inland from the docks. If there was any market area, or indeed any kind of organization, it escaped both utterly.

Archived