Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude: moonlit discussions] Maia and Justin

Maia

The training, now in its second week, had been quite provocative. Maia knew what they did now was only the beginnings of a foundation, what followed would be far more involved, personal, and demanding.

Still, beneath the night sky, she laid in the sand of the beach, listening to the sound of the waves, lapping gently. The sand shifted slightly, signaling the arrival of Justin, as he said he'd come.

He eschewed a blindfold, though he'd joked about it, and she knew he was trying not to stare, or at least not be noticed doing so.

Her hair bell across her shoulders, down enough to cover part of her breasts, but not all, The rest was on display in the pale moonlight.

"I've missed you." It wasn't a sensual comment, but one speaking from a closeness that went beyond what most people ever felt. Still, there was some unsureness there, Maia didn't know everything about him, and tonight would be the first step to remedying that particular issue.

"Sit down, make yourself comfortable, it's just us here tonight."

Justin paused a moment to drink in the sight of her, he tried not to look at her and still look at her, for a moment he seemed almost shy, then raised eyebrow and invitation in her gaze, he let himself take in her beauty for a moment, a moment that stretched out quite long, but she didn't seem to mind in the slightest, only smiled at him slightly, and then he shook himself slightly. Moving to sit down beside her so that she could put her head in his lap, which she did quite smoothly and easily, without even shifting her position all that much.

Justin began to softly slide his fingers though her hair, in an affectionate and intimate manner, lifting up several strands as he relaxed, slowly, closing his eyes and then spoke up again. "In case I haven't said it recently, love.. you completely transcend the term beautiful, a goddess would envy your beauty." He paused a moment, then leaned back slightly. "So, what are we doing with our free moment here, with the moonlight glistening off that perfect skin of yours?"

She looked up at him, her red eyes seeming to glow and gleam due to the reflected moonlight, and smiled. "I wanted to thank you, and see how you were holding up. Uncle's training is rigorous, moreso than ever before."

She nodded. "I figured perhaps a quiet night together might ease stress on both our counts." Both of them knew their relationship wouldn't become more intimate in the usual way for some time, though it was clear she enjoyed sleeping beside him, and it was the same for him. She reached up, her fingers tracing his jawline and smiled. "Mostly I just wanted to be near you for awhile."

With smooth and perfect grace he shifted her from her head laying down in his lap, to her wrapped in his arms and sitting in his lap, it was something that would have taken more time and difficulty for a pair of baseline humans, but for the two of them was easy. Of course, Maia was stronger and tougher then he was, though it was not as deep as the difference was before she triggered and overloaded his eruption, in fact they were far closer now, more equals even if he didn't quite reach her physical power, they had already realized his mental and social capabilities exceeded hers.

But then, she had wanted him to balance her, to be something of her perfect partner, and in many ways he was.. He leaned foward and kissed her softly, but then settled bakc, seeking nothing more from her at the moment. "I love spending time with you too, beloved, we can just sit in in the company of each other, you in the circle of my arms if you like.. "

She smiled as he made them both more comfortable, Marvelling in small part that she wasn't being poked, and laid her head on his shoulder. "I cost you everything you knew Justin. Your home, your family, everything in your life that wasn't you. I'm so sorry."

She'd held the guilt in all this time, never giving it voice. She'd given him the choice, and he made it. Still she felt responsible for everything that had happened. He could feel the wetness of her tears soaking into his gii.

• 2 weeks later...

"Maia.. " He reached out and grabbed a handful of sand, then took it between his hands and squeezed hard, then handed her a perfect sphere of glass. "It is the nature of things to change, nothing every stays the same forever, you gave me the choice, and I took it. Perhaps I lost somethings, but I knew I could lose them, and I was willing to pay the price, to gain the girl who has my heart." He smiled slightly when she looked at him quizzically.

"A romantic relationship needs a measure of equality to survive, beloved, it must be a partnership, and before you gave me the option, I gave you insight into baseline humanity, and perhaps a measure of wisdom, being a few years your elder, but you would have soon surpassed me.. and other things would have come of it, this way, we shall be together for a very long time..my love. I have no regrets for our choices together."

"It was so selfish of me. I wanted you, I wanted to keep you safe from everyone, so I took a big risk, one you're paying for. It happened to pay off, but I just couldn't stand the thought of not having you with me."

She hugged herself to him. The depth of his self control was being sorely tested. "I was afraid you'd think I was just using you."

She was one of the most beautiful novas alive, one of the strongest, the toughest, and likely in the top tier in terms of power, and she'd still fallen for him, a baseline. That she'd been able to trigger and amplify his eruption was nothing short of amazing, but there'd been costs to both of them.

She looked into his eyes, and smiled. "I know things change, it's the natural order. I just don't want you and I to change."

• 3 months later...

Archived