Wyrd

This thread is for the purely mechanical aspects of combat, so the main threads can maintain a cinematic/story feel and not be cluttered with the numbers. Please post your rolls here along with descriptions of what you are trying to do with them--I'll then tell you what you succeed in accomplishing.

Jeremy: You hear the buzzing

suddenly get a lot louder and head

towards your car. You don't see anything,

but will get an action during the surprise

round.

Good luck figuring out what you should do, though, with that little knowledge.

Everyone:

I'm going to need initiative rolls as well. If you don't spot anything, you won't get to go until the second round, though.

All we need is Essa's, and this can move forward. Does anyone have any days this week they won't be able to post? I ask ahead of time so i know how much time I need to give each person to post their actions.

All righty: This gives us an initiative order

15: Enemy

9: Jeremy

9: Essa

8: Atasaya

8: Magnun

People with the same initiative act at the same time unless there is a good reason for one action to have to occur before the other. As such, Jeremy or Essa can post first. Once they have posted, then Atasaya and Magnun may both post.

As for who spots what:

Essa had the lowest threshold, due to the bonuses of astral perception, not being busy driving a car, and not being inside of a car. She is the only one who actually sees what is coming.

Magnun catches a flicker of movement as she is driving by a building, but since they waited until the second car to attack, that is all she noticed. It is not enough for you to get an action during the surprise round, but it is enough to realize you are under attack and act next round, even if none of the players who can act does something to draw your attention. Sine you go last in initiative, I may allow you to act if something big enough happens behind you.

Jeremy hears the buzzing coming towards his vehicle, but doesn't see anything. You can feel free to act after my first post of the combat.

Atasaya notices a glowing being flying towards the car. If you had rolled lower, you wouldn't have been perceiving astrally at the time, or higher and you would have been looking out of a window at the right angle to see more detail. With this little detail, you are not certain if you are under attack or just being investigated by a curious spirit. Again, the actions of others may change that impression before your turn comes up.

I think that is everything that needed to be covered in here. Now for the flavor text.

I'm forced to agree. Essa has today to post. I know her work is really busy on the weekends, but this is holding things up too much.

Damon, do you want me to act for your character while you are gone? You say that you are leaving town, but did not specify when you expected to return. PM me with the details if you have specific actions you wish to take, or I can just act according to my knowledge of the character. Alternatively, you can just fade into the background while you are unable to post.

I am so sorry - in the future - if I don't make it on for 36 hours or more in a combat situation - I trust you know my character well enough and am perfectly happy to have you npc her. I wish I had been able to get ahold of you and let you know that before now.

What force did you cast the spell at? That determines how effective it is, how much drain you have to resist, etc.

Edit: If you don't manage to respond soon, I'll assume you cast at the highest safe level for you, the point just before mental drain becomes physical drain.

Given that you have already suffered drain from your multiple transformations, this may not be the best assumption, but I want Damon to have a chance to post before he leaves.

There is no chance the two remaining people missed the sound of a bolt of lightning going off either just over your head for Atasaya or behind you for Magnun, so feel free to post based on what your character's have perceived. there is no chance this thing is going down with one blast, no matter how powerful a force Essa chose, so the mechanics and flavor text of exactly how much harm she caused can occur before or after your posts.

That's Atasaya's post, so that only leaves you, Magnun. You have until Friday at noon EST to post, possibly later if I sleep late. Your action occurs simultaneous to Atasya's, so you don't know what effect it has before you post--heck, neither of you have any idea until the creature acts as to how it affected her.(soldier mantis spirits are exclusively female.)

I was about to post, and was looking up the stats for Atasaya's spell to do his drain roll, when I noticed something: Foreboding is an area affect spell, not a single target spell. This means that Essa, Jeremy, and Atasaya are all in the area of effect. Since this is something he would know in character, I'm willing to let him change his action if the other players agree, the problem with this being that his player won't be back until Sunday, and likely won't be online until Monday. While I'm waiting on responses to this question, Magnun has a little more time to post. If the other players are willing to deal with being affected by the spell, then we will just move on with Atasaya not thinking about how close he is to his target.

The drain for the spell is (f/2)+2. If Atasaya is allowed to repost, he can roll his own drain, otherwise I'll roll it.

What Magnun will do if she doesn't post soon is notice the sounds of combat behind her, hit her brakes, and spend her action maneuvering into a better location for the next round.

A reminder to Jeremy and Magnun: both of you are at -2 to all actions not involving controlling your vehicles as long as you are putting the effort into controlling your vehicles. Jeremy could let go of the wheel, turn around, and try to do something--as long as he is willing to take the very real risk of a crash in the process.

So it doesn't take an action to drive, but maintaining the control gives a -2 penalty? Ok.

Jeremy is going to throw one of the rocks he has kept in his pockets (Missile Mastery) behind him at the mantis.

Jeremy *rolls* 11d6: 1+3+6+3+6+1+2+6+4+1+3

3 sux. I'm not going to post yet, but tell me if it hits, then we can work out the damage if any and the results into the post.

Oh, I thought you were in the front seat. Not that it really matters, though it does put you in striking range of the mantis.

Jeremy: The mantis doesn't try to dodge--it is just a rock after all, and while it is aware that you have magical powers(any astrally perceiving character can tell that at a glance), it doesn't know their nature. As such, jump straight to damage.

Magnun: The glass wasn't aimed at you, so one success would have been enough. I rolled to randomly determine if it landed in your path, and you had the bad luck for the answer to be 'yes'. Frankly, the bug doesn't consider any of you(with the possible exception of Essa) a real threat at the moment, given that only one person has actually attacked it in any manner.

Essa: With the amount of drain you've taken from some horrible rolls, I suggest that you might be inclined to switch to physical combat.

If it applies to anyone, you will be getting multiple initiative passes this round. The surprise round you only got one regardless of your initiative passes.

Edit:

Actual post edited to add a little flavor to it. There are no mechanical differences, it is just a bit less bland.

I have literally never played anything but a mage - so I'm not really sure what I should roll for a physical attack, but I think I'm at four dice. And I don't know what kind of damage for a body-slam. So please, if I've rolled wrong and/or you need another roll - you are free to make it or let me know and I'll try and get back on before another week passes.

4d6 → [2,3,5,6] = (16)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3240141/

Archived