Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: The Home of Heroes (OOC)

Heritage

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, I thought you didn't roll for Toughness...argh! God, why can't I have a brain that comprehends simple rules? The fact that some Defenses are passive and some are active wreaks havoc with my puny mind. I don't have time to roll now, I'll have to do it at lunch...

There are no "passive defenses" as such. Attacks that lack area or perception need to make a roll to hit against a Fixed DC of 10+ either dodge or parry (depending on the attack) but that is not a defensive aspect that is an offensive DC aspect. Defenses are always rolled against a DC of 10+ power/effect rank with the exception of damage effects which are DC 15+ rank.

Attacker always rolls to hit (unless he paid not to) and defender always rolls to defend (unless he paid not to via immunity or some other effect granting immunity like effects, e.g. insubstantial 3+ against physical attacks, Impervious Toughness, etc.). Regardless of the circumstances the only time that you don't roll is, essentially, when you paid points for something to allow you to not roll. Not rolling is always a good thing, obviating the need for a roll by way of being too awesome for the effect.

I'm just hoping Blitz can safely deliver the old lady to me, and I can start getting to work on her.

In fact it might be a wise idea for Blitz (since she is fast and all) to bring one of the emergency kits from one of the ambulances. You know, those big duffle-bags that usually have things like oh... a portable defibrulator?

I have to check to see of my suit has a built-in medkit. If not, the bag will be useful.

Addendum: I don't. But would it make sense for Naomi to have a medkit on her clipped to a tactical loop?

Jameson: the thing that confuses me is the description of Defense Class on page 51 of the DCA rulebook, which makes it sound like you just add 10 to your Defense (basically assuming an average roll) and that's the number the attacker needs to make or beat for the attack to be effective. There's no mention of a die roll that I can see.

SB: I'm gonna say you don't have a medkit if you didn't indicate one before; obviously it will be a good thing to have in the future.

Jameson: the thing that confuses me is the description of Defense Class on page 51 of the DCA rulebook, which makes it sound like you just add 10 to your Defense (basically assuming an average roll) and that's the number the attacker needs to make or beat for the attack to be effective. There's no mention of a die roll that I can see.

That's the attack roll. The target gets a defense roll (unless immune somehow) using the appropriate defense +d20 against a DC of 10 + Effect rank (or 15 plus damage rank).

So with no active defenses, Nux gets a 7 on his Toughness roll (1d20+0=7) http://invisiblecast...r/view/3509954/

So if I'm understanding things correctly, a 7 vs a DC 25 is three degrees of failure, yes?

25-7 = 18, every 5 points of failure is a degree break, so 1st degree is fail by 1 through 5, second degree failure is 6-10, then 11-15 for 3 degrees of failure, and so on.

Nux failed by 18 which is 4 degrees, which against a damage check would be a KO.

Unless you drop a HP on HH to reroll for Nux.

Jameson: Thanks for clarifying, though I have to say if it's an opposed roll in the first place, why do they have a target number? Seeing as this whole thing has been taking quite sometime, I'm gonna allow HH to drop the puke-powered mofo. That still leaves Joey and Carnie in play. Two bad guys down!

Blitz: She's a little old lady, so we can just say she's 100 pounds.

I have to switch computers, but i'll be back on to IC post in a few minutes!

Then change up. Change your actions and we'll move on. With a GM retcon you should have the right to change your actions, since what you wanted to do can't be done because of the retcon.

Once this is sorted then Blitz can act after Heri's post, then I can act and we got our flow again. Since Heri is handling Volt because Varro's gone AWOL, perhaps we can keep this moving and maybe complete this episode by the end of the month?

Jameson: I don't want to punish you by clinging so desperately to Init order that your turn becomes meaningless; I opted to wait on posting a reaction to HH's hit for my own convienince, not to inadvertantly trip you up. If you want to edit your post based on the knowledge that Nux is down, I will allow it. Also I think Bltz had sent telepathic confirmation she'd taken out the bomb in her last post; I didn't say anything because I thought there might have been a 'rules reason' you hadn't have gotten the message (I pretty much always assume my players know the game better than, as history has proven this) and I was afraid to bog things down with too much editing. If Gary should have in fact received the message, that might be another thing to change in an edit.

SB: God I sure hope so!

Okay, if I'm reading this right, Joey failed his first save by 5 (18-13=5) and his second save by less than 5 (18-16=2); since they are cumulative, that counts as two successes, meaning Gary controls Joey's move action. I will post based on that.

That's a failure by 1 degree, followed by a failure by 1 degree. The power is cumulative so he suffers the 2nd degree effect and is Compelled (I control his move action), I will have him start for the front door (though I cannot force him to raise his hands :()

Support characters in M&M really are my favorites. The only reason I elected to play the resident powerhouse for this game was because I was looking for something simple and easy. They way I build my support characters they take hours of research on wikipedia and a scientific calculator just to make posts for, hah!

Good going, SB. Without you, we'd be down an old lady and up "PR disaster creek"! :D

Re-posting Initiative order to help speed things up (Only keeping track of my HPs. Don't want to misrepresent others.):

Agent Gary

The Hoods

Blitz

Superball

Volt

Hellhound 1 HP (Accounting for myself only)

Looks like it's Volt and then me. I'm going to assume he's still afk. In the interests of getting things moving I'm just going to get my post over with. Heritage, if you need me to copy it down and delete it so you can squeeze in something for Volt, that's fine. But I figure at this rate, the fight is almost over anyway...

Here goes!

Move Action: Move to Joey

Standard: Punching!

quotemyname *rolls* 1d20: 13: 13
[quotemyname] 10:59 am: Total is 21. I'll take it.
[quotemyname] 10:59 am: Witness?
[jameson] 10:59 am: Accurate attack! I knew there was a 4th one
[jameson] 10:59 am: yeah 13+8=21
[/CODE]

Assuming that hits, HH will do another Grab. (See how boring, yet effective I am?)

No need to make additional rolling on my part. If that hit connects, Joey needs to make a Toughness Save vs DC 25 (15 + Rank 10 Strength). If he's not KOed, he'll need to make a Str/Dodge check to resist the Grab effect. The DC for that check is 20 (base 10 + str 10).

In order to provide some contingency for 'if my rolls fail and what not', If the attack roll fails, then maybe it just 'doesn't actually hurt him'. Furthermore, if the attack fails or if he just resists the grapple, then perhaps Joey Bumps can "just Knock Hellhound's hand aside and drop lightly to the ground as my grapple proves an ineffective tactic."

Either or both of those can be included in any post you make, Heritage. Once again, if you would prefer to sneak Volt's actions in ahead of mine, I can copy and paste my post out and place it after yours. Just trying to help things along in my own way here.

I was gonna do a quick post for Volt before you did your's, HH, but we can just say he held his action or whatever and go from there. I'm intrigued to see how you attack vs Joey is gonna go; you might have underestimated the doofus.

Okay, Joey failed his Will save at the end of his round (1d20+8=8) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3519088/ , so his mile-wide ass still belongs to Gary. That being said, HH will have no problem grabbing him (he makes no attempt to resist) but the crush blow to his guts has no visible effect! In fact, Russ feels like he jammed his fist into a wheelbarrow full of memory foam.

Support characters in M&M really are my favorites. The only reason I elected to play the resident powerhouse for this game was because I was looking for something simple and easy. They way I build my support characters they take hours of research on wikipedia and a scientific calculator just to make posts for, hah!

Good going, SB. Without you, we'd be down an old lady and up "PR disaster creek"! :D

I think we are still floating in said creek ... this hasn't exactly gone smoothly

No hostage situation controlled by XPs goes smoothly at all. My taking care of the heart attack victim and pretty much ensuring she'll be extolling how we were there when she needed us will definately be worth a few opinion poll points that the media cannot ignore. What would be unfortunate is if I save her only to have her die of complications at the hospital later... that could be negatively spun.

Can I get a roll call on HP spending? I'm starting to lose track.

Superball currently has 0 HP. And I doubt using a HP to save a live would qualify for a payback.

Archived