Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Rainbow Room II: Matching Vectors

Karren Gaunt

"Slow song it is." Norman slide his arms around her and began a series of slow dance steps, and it was clear he knew the effects of the room a bit better then she did, though she was fast and graceful enough to pick it up quickly, and the soft sounds of beautiful chimes filled the air, that matched the slow romantic dance that he was leading her in. The sonic reverberations filled the air and set a hum off the rest of the crystal in the room, making it even more intense with each step.

Her sisters' help showing in how she managed to predict some of Norman's next moves and making apropriate if basic responses instead of purely adapting, Coraline moved with the young terat, grace in motion, spinning her half of the cacoon of music generating around them. Every motion turned abstract perception of how the room responded little bit more into understanding and greater confidence she could contribute something beautiful to what they were making together. A laugh showed in her eyes, the currently red-headed young metamorph pausing at the end of a twirl with her fingertips just touching Norman's, holding just long enough for the music to fade...

And then she let Norman twirl her back in, meeting his gaze and smiling in happiness at this impossibility, not wanting to miss a second of it.

Butch smiled at Maia's question. The nova's only club was slowly growing on him, and a secret part of him, one that the others might not know about, enjoyed attention. Perhaps it was all of those years living off-the-grid and underground...

"I don't know if we can do anything except make grand entrances looking the way we do," he said. "I'd prefer if we weren't so damn conspicuous, but I guess that's the price of having a good time. So, what do y'all want to do? Get some drinks? Cut a rug?"

Butch was up for anything at this point and hoped that everyone would enjoy themselves. He kept an eye out for Cora and Norman though. There was a small matter of apology that he wanted to get out of the way.

Epiphany smiled and sent Warren an image back with herself as Luna, if a orange and tiger stripped Luna, eating the rose. There was something almost giddy in the exchange, private and fun. As the others asked after the entrance and interests. "I'd rather not have a grand entrance. I can't look normal, but I can at least lend some to being overlooked and in a crowd of Novas I wouldn't stick out. If you don't mind, maybe Warren and I could enter separately. I've not been to anything like the Rainbow Room before and I'd rather not go in with everyone staring at me." As she speaks, she becomes, less noticeable, not just the usual toning down of her charisma, but something more as well. She becomes a bit more ordinary.

Mr. Nobody and Tactful

Maia laughed. "That's no fair." She couldn't even attempt the same, the most she could do was wear baggy clothes, and that didn't help at all.

"Go ahead, tonight's really about enjoying ourselves. You two go have fun together." There was obviously something else on her mind, but she wasn't in the mood to talk about it.

Pip smiled slightly, "I don't think fair ever entered the equation. Not from the moment our parents first erupted. We far surpass anything approaching fair. My 'not fair' is just different from yours. I can link minds and blend in to a degree, while you . . . you're stunning without trying and can move literal mountains. Be happy with our little corner of 'not fair'. There are people out there would would take all the pains that come with our lives for just a glimmer of your beauty." Her expression became a bit sad, melancholy. "And others who see us and know how unfair things really are and are justifiably terrified of what we can do. Never forget that this life doesn't come with a 'fair' setting. It is in seeing what could be made right and striving to make thing better that we can try to balance the scales for those who truly didn't get their 'fair' shake." Shaking her head Epiphany visibly bites her lip. Closing her eyes slowly, "I'm sorry. I . . . it's been a rough week. Just . . . I'm sorry." Her hand grips Warren's a bit more firmly, holding onto him as her anchor.

Maia had meant the comment as a playful remark, and instead gotten a lecture.

This new "Hyper emotional Epiphany" had just become annoying. She did her best to hide her annoyance, but again her own honest nature betrayed her there. No longer smiling, Maia simply walked in alone, leaving the rest of them. It was rude, petty and a host of other things, but Maia didn't really care at that point.

At first, only a few looked up from their conversations, but then as recognition roiled over them spreading like a Tsunami, Everyone looked to the now agitated young goddess, as she practically stalked into the room, ordered a drink, and tried to to disappear into the crowd.

Unable to really do anything about her effect on others, half a dozen novas of either gender immediately called out solicitations to her, another half dozen tried to touch her, all to be repelled by some unseen force, some gently, others not so gently. Clearly tonight was not a good night for her, and after the initial burst, she was left alone, sitting at a table in the corner, where sat, watching the various couples, and the aftermath of her entrance.

Pip almost calls out to Maia, almost sends a thought along the network. But she stops, realizing anything she could say would just make things worse. She was trying, very hard, to do better, but after the 'rescue' . . . in Epiphany's mind the incident was closer to the 'mass murder', she had a hard time being around the others. Pip didn't doubt that there was evil in the world. She knew it with great intimacy. But she also didn't doubt that there were a great many people acting out of fear or delusions, who had been manipulated or mislead. And there were others who didn't know or understand anything that was going on.

Maybe the siblings were justified in some of their thoughts and actions, but Epiphany saw too much overreaction. Too much where they didn't even try to be sure of someone before striking. Too much death and glory in the deaths. Her heart was weighed down by it, her mind spinning circles trying to figure out how to make them see how much anger had eaten into them. It was something she thought about almost constantly since Demon's death. His voice babbled in the back of her mind, insane and twisted but twisted to a purpose by someone outside of himself. He had been a tool. Pip wasn't sure how to classify him. She could see in his thoughts that he was much like a rabid dog, a trained rabid dog that attacked on orders. But she had taken all that away from him, he was a blank slate, one she could have rebuilt. He could have been saved.

But that wasn't an option anymore. Pip couldn't understand how the others had so quickly put those deaths behind them. She felt a corner of her mind whispering that she could be more like them, but she pushed it away. The only thing keeping her sane was her surety that what had happened was wrong. More than anything, she feared what she might become if she let the impact of those deaths go. Objectively, Epiphany knew that she could be the greatest threat to her family if she ever allowed herself to succumb to the allure of her powers.

Maybe she shouldn't go to the Rainbow Room. Maybe she should stay here, keep thinking, find a way. But no, part of the reason for going was to get perspective. It was something she needed, something she struggled with. Knowing that the others seemed to have no problems with what had happened, that they accepted it as part of life made her question her own thoughts. But hearing the voices of the others she had made a part of her mind, she knew that the way they saw the world wasn't whole. Then again, maybe she was the one cracked. With as many minds as she had in her own skull, maybe they were the problem.

Not knowing what to do, Epiphany looked over at Warren, her face a bit pale under her fur. Her normal heat emission a degree or two reduced. Her voice husky with unspoken emotions, "What should I do, what can I do? Because I can't seem to figure out what is right. I mess everything up. I . . . " She shook her head, not sure why she was turning to him. No matter how much she liked him, he didn't think differently than the others. He had exiled people who may or may not be innocent to a barbaric world full of dinosaurs that would happily eat them with no more thought than the 'mercy' such a terror was for them. In her own mind she could picture their fear. For all that she abhorred murder, Pip couldn't help but wonder if a quick death wouldn't have been more of a mercy.

As Epiphany turned to ask Warren what she should do, a rather attractive and powerful looking man walked toward them, and it was clear from the pictures who it was, Andy Vance was a famous nova around the world. "Lovely lady, or tigress, whichever you prefer, I couldn't help but overhear. This place isn't about worry about things, the Rainbow room is about letting go, you can worry elsewhere, here you learn to live in and enjoy the moment, that's why I built the rainbow room, to give Nova's a chance to relax in a world that increasingly doesn't let them. Please, join the dances, play a game in one of the adjacent rooms, spend a night alone with you and your boyfriend here in one of private rooms.. but let tomorrow and yesterday go while you are here, you can pick up those worries when you leave again."

Warren gripped Pip's hand and silently offered support. Right before Ironskin showed up he silently sent, You really should open up and talk about what's bothering you. Maybe not now, and maybe not me, but to someone; Uncle or Aunt maybe. If it's bothering you, then it's a problem, please don't let it fester.

After Andy showed up Warren looked at Pip to see how she'd react.

Butch was growing tired of all the drama that seemed to follow his siblings wherever they went. Pip seemed to be having some kind of breakdown every other day and now her lecture caused Maia to storm off. And all Butch wanted to do was have a good time...

He let Maia go her own way and watched as Pip and Warren entered following behind them. When he saw Andy Vance make his way over, Butch was impressed that the super-tough owner of the Rainbow Room took the time to spare some kind words for Pip.

He made his way over to Andy Vance and extended a hand. "Mr. Vance, I'd like to thank you for this wonderful place. It's great to have somewhere to go to do just what you said: focus on today."

Epiphany's brow furrows. Something about the man suggested she should recognize him, but she didn't really pay attention to the 'who's who' of anything. But by his words she quickly understood this place was his. That realization kept her tongue still for the moment it took Butch to reach out to shake his hand. With a sigh, she decided the most prudent course of action was to nod, to acquiesce. "Thank you. I'm sorry, it's been a difficult time lately and things are a bit on edge. I will attempt to do as you suggest." That was the best she could do at the moment. It wasn't the most politic, but she hoped it would work.

I don't remember going through the warp - I thought we were still back at the complex talking before stepping through a warp. Pip wouldn't have said that out loud in a crowded location. But I'll roll with it. It might move things along a bit more quickly.

Warren put his arm around Pip and said, "I'm sure we'll be fine, thank you."

Warren sent to Pip, Talk? Dance? I'm all for relaxing and having fun, but I'd also like to get at what's bugging you.

Warren sent a mental image of a microscopic Warren in mid-evil armor with a sword vanquishing an house-sized insect with Pip dressed up as a princess in the background.

Epiphany gave a genuine smile in response to the image. It seemed to lighten her mood for the moment. 'Dance would be nice. I haven't danced in . . . a long time.' The briefest flicker of image, a young Pip dancing with an adult male tiger, white and black fur, a beautiful woman singing and a rock giant clapping to keep the time, the image is laced with the idea of family. Then the image is gone. 'We can talk any time, any where. Let's have fun while we're here.'

"A pleasure to meet you also, young man.. I hope you are enjoying yourself.. please, you and your friends or family, make yourselves at home." He shook Butch's hand and then gave the gathered individuals a bow and a wave, then headed over to where Maia was sitting and brooding.. having said what he thought needed to be said to one young lady, it was time to spend a moment talking with another young lady, if she would let him.

Sitting down across from Maia, he smiled at her. "Is this seat taken?"

Epiphany gave a genuine smile in response to the image. It seemed to lighten her mood for the moment. 'Dance would be nice. I haven't danced in . . . a long time.' The briefest flicker of image, a young Pip dancing with an adult male tiger, white and black fur, a beautiful woman singing and a rock giant clapping to keep the time, the image is laced with the idea of family. Then the image is gone. 'We can talk any time, any where. Let's have fun while we're here.'
Dance it is... I haven't danced in... Warren thought back and came up blank. He'd been everywhere, but he'd always had to be ready to go on a moments notice and he'd always been subject to sensory overload.

Warren said, "I take that back, I've never danced. Teach me?"

Darrik had cast a concerned glance over to Pip when she had begun to give the lecture, wondering why she was getting increasingly emotional as time went on. But before Vance left Darrik thanked him for talking to Pip, and then walked down to the dance floor for some fun. Granted, he had promised Agatha and Gwen fidelity, but what was the harm in flirting or teasing? Aside from the normal impact of his handsomeness, but he had to deal with that regularly anyway.

A part of his mind toyed with the question of Norman. No need for suspicion, but still the question of these parents proved interesting. Clearly from Butch's description, highly socially adept, on his own level perhaps- high profile parents... could be many people, but really, a personal interaction with the blue-skinned man, a second and longer one would work more.

Meanwhile, in a place both very close in space and very far from the complicated headspace of her siblings, Cora danced with 'her' young terat, not that she wouldn't be the first to proclaim that he belonged very much to himself. They had moved from a slow, improvised waltz to a more energetic beginings of a tango, her lessons with Pip and Marina not quite enough to give her more than a very good base from which to improvise. But the miraculous room responded anyway, adding slow waves of color to the waves of sound as they worked the room.

"I'd like to test a hunch on you," the young metamorph whispered in the midst of one spin, a triumphant smile on her lips as she dared to try and overcome one more doubt, "I promise to do as little as I have to to be sure."

With a grin that was nothing but happy, Epiphany took Warren's hand and lead him to the dance floor. 'Let's start with showing you how and we can talk about technique as we dance. As you start picking it up on your own I can drop it from the network.' Then, with a flourish, Pip spun with an elegant grace, her wings tucked to her body, the eufiber gems shining and flame inspired dress shimmering, the fabric flowing with the spin like a flower opening to the sun. Pulling Warren into the dance, he would realize he knew the dance, everyone in the network suddenly shared the skills of their emotional sister.

Activating: Ability Network

This particular technique allows any in the link to share abilities with anyone else, in essence, allowing the abilities of anyone in the the network to become the abilities of the network as a whole.

This means everyone has a 3 in Performance as long as the effect is up - as well as any other abilities at the highest rating in that ability anyone in the network has.

In the crystal room, Norman smiled and responded. "I'd love to see what you have.. " Then he blinked. "Somehow, it seems like you just got better at dancing, which is interesting, as i was saying, let's see what you have in mind, my lovely lady." he was curious about what she was thinking, or what sort of idea she had in mind. "You lead, I'll follow."

Meanwhile, for the rest of the visitors, the abilities, the skills and capabilities of one, became the skills and capabilities of all, and everyone knew the moves, the skills of dancing, as Epiphany opened up abilities of all, expanding the link beyond simple telepathic speech.

Butch watched as his siblings separated and entered the Rainbow Room. Maia was at a table with the very pleasant Andy Vance sitting across from her. Warren and Pip had made their way to the dance floor, while Darrik went to a different section ready to enjoy himself. With that, Butch made his way to another corner, fairly dark in comparison to the rest of the dance floor.

As he entered, Butch had noticed the way in which some of the patrons of the Rainbow Room were looking at him and his siblings. Staring was more accurate. They were a beautiful, handsome group, always had been. Now, however, they surpassed all but a very few novas in terms of sheer impressive, awe-inspiring, beauty. It was not something he was entirely comfortable with, hence his decision to find a secluded area in which he could dance.

The pulse of the music combined with the fantastic surroundings made Butch feel great. After a moment, he began to move to the music in a way that was comfortable to him. His moves not ostentatious or fancy, but very simple with some aggressive, primal undertones. Here and there, he would scan the crowd making note of the many different novas at the Rainbow Room reveling in their quantum enhanced splendor.

"Just my sister playing around with the link and finally relaxing I think, Norman. She was supposed to show up here tonight," Coraline answered in a whisper, not certain but hoping she was right. Someone would have said something if Pip raised this in alarm or danger. The young metamorph drew herself in more tightly against Norman as they moved, one hand on his chest. She looked Norman in the eye, abhuman gaze to abhuman gaze, and *pushed* outward with her morphic field. The energy flowed out of her and into him, a wall of resistence keeping her out and then... melting away with his nod, his blessing.

Not minutes ago, she had seen him and him her. Now she felt him, his flesh rippling slightly beneath his eufiber where her fingers rested, hers to sculpt and shape with her powers and desire. A tiny nudge of quantum and she could do to him and probably anyone with the node to power the changes what she could do for herself. This was... This could be huge if certain changes did what she thought they could, almost as good as Butch's own healing in one very important way... She laughed under her breath and withdrew the energy without leaving a single change behind, offering in a whisper, "Thank you. I wanted to be sure I was right about being able to do that."

And all through the moment, their dance only slowed, never faltered.

Norman didn't say much, instead choosing to lean forward to kiss her lips softly, nothing more as he danced the night away with her, and the rest of her family also had great fun tonight.

Thread Closed (Partly)

Experience: 2 Standard, 1 Baseline, 3 Nova

Folks are free to continue this thread, but it's not archived, no further experience to be gained here ;)

Archived