Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Mountaintop Training

Quantum Fire

Over the last few weeks, before and after her apothesis, Uncle Shen, or Traveler as other folks knew him, had begun to take Cora aside for training, to begin to teach her to focus, to learn the ebb and flow, to learn the nature of philosophy, the essence of the Tao, of balance in all things, though Traveler had been avoiding the religious aspects for the most part, he was more concerned with the idea of balance, of the Yin and the Yang. Today, was the first major day of training after her apothesis, sense he had taught her the essence of moving meditation, of meditation in dance, and she had apotheosized the next day.

"In the essence of the Yin is stillness, silence, calm. In the essence of the Yang is the active, the direct, the forceful... a still pond is Yin, a busy river is Yan, except in places where the water is still.. but nothing is without both aspects, shade is yin, but it is caused by the yang of the sunlight. We know that the universe is made of energy and space, for even matter is a form of energy, in this aspect, the Yin and the Yang is seen most clearly, the Yin is Space, the Yang is Energy.. but within Energy. I tend to use the words still and flow, but even those are lacking in a full understanding."

Shen reached out and touched her, and suddenly they were high on a flat mountaintop, nearby was what appeared to be some ancient, rundown Tibetan monastery. "Here, we will study still and flow, or yin and yang, as they apply to you, daughter, so that you can truely know yourself, and in knowing your self, better know the rest of existence. Go, change into the outfit I have placed for you within the temple, and we shall begin."

"Understood, Uncle Shen," replied the young metamorph softly, planting a fist in an open palm and bowing her head, part of the quiet signal of switching mental gears she employed. Coraline needed that focus during these sessions, Traveler's mental lessons ever so much more taxing than the physical ones, although her new sense of and control over momentum was providing a blunt introduction to the transferability of energy and it's consequences, even more impeutous to catch her mind up with her body.

She found the gi hanging on a wooden peg in the shadow-dappled temple chamber, swiftly changing out of her eufiber and into the simple cotton training garment. She had tried cheating out the sense of nakedness she felt without the living garment by morphing it into an armband under the imutable fabric of the uniform one time, but Shen had sent her right back to remove it. So here the eufiber was surrendered in the faith it would be there when she returned.

Coraline padded across the mountain top to where her teacher waited, dark features serene, white hair blowing about her face in the gentle mountain breeze, blue-on-black eyes receptive to whatever was going to happen and she was going to learn. It was a hard feeling to maintain out in the world, very very hard, but she had had faith that everything that was going to happen up here would be to her ultimate benefit.

When she at last returned to the outer courtyard, wearing the plain white gi that he had left for her, he smiled slightly, even though he had considerable self-control, her beauty after apotheosis still hit him hard when he looked at her, though he didn't show it. She could have subdued it, but he had specifically forbidden her to use any of her quantum related powers without permission, this training was to focus on precise use of her powers and abilities, of abilities before anything else. Fortunately, he was a nova himself, with considerable level of wits, a baseline at this point would be overwhelmed.

He did note when she was still wearing the eufiber around her wrist, and sent her back inside to take it off, and waiting for her to return, then he nodded slightly when she returned and began to speak.

"Very good, now, we shall begin with meditation, kneel and follow the sound of my voice.. listen to the flow of the air, to the earth beneath you, to the sound of water dripping from the ice on the mountain.. " He continued to speak his words and as she fell into the rhythm of them, he moved on.. "listen to the flow of blood though your viens, your heartbeat, my heartbeat, be one with the moment, with everything around you, be one with the flow of all." When she was at last at a state of meditation, he stopped and waited for several minutes, just letting her listen and feel, to simply be.. before he spoke again.

"Good.. now, hold that mind set, and we shall begin.. I am going to start throwing knives.. you are to keep them in the air, not letting them hit anything, not using your ability to transfer momentum and you also may not actually touch the knives, but you can touch everything around them, from the air around them, to the earth beneath your feet..." And he began to throw the knives.. one, then two, then a half dozen, and then a full dozen, all within a span of 2 seconds.

The young metamorph blinked and in the stuttering space of a fraction of baseline's heartbeat, blurred into motion. Even if she could use her powers to help her do this, she was going to be limited to one quantum ability every few seconds, so this trial was going to be reliant on sheer, precise physicality, but fortunately she had an idea what to do. Snatch debris from the ground and toss it upwards to intercept a falling knife. Try and ensure that each rebound kept each blade flying in a relatively contained area, going up as much and as often as possible, steal precious microseconds of thought before she had to worry about *that* knife again. Keep one eye on her web of visible but intangiable vectors that she'd weave and weave and weave until she hit her pre-active quantum powers limit.

A baseline would see the vague blur of Traveler tossing knives into a growing swarm of clanging, spinning weapons that kept getting knocked upward by spontaneously flying debris and repeated soft spiffs of dust from invisible, silent footfalls, a mad impossible juggling act that second by second grew more mad and impossible. They wouldn't see the hurrying, focused young woman whose thoughts were whirling tighter and tighter under a sea of strained serenity.

Dozens and dozens of knives in the air flying upward and downward above her like a storm. Dozens of stones rising up to renew the upward journies of falling knives or bounding down for recatching and reuse. One Coraline Boehm to spin them all. Easy, and then okay, and then hard, and then akin to a nightmare reverse version of the Danger Room's Lunatic paintball program... She needed more hands, more speed, but she was forbidden to... A clatter on the stony ground marked her first failure, one target to track too many.

There was a whisper of blurred motion, and Coraline came to a halt outside the area of dancing knives on one knee, sucking in breath and beautiful features beaded with sweat. She looked up at her teacher for apraisal and instruction as the swarm sucumbed to physics with a clatter of metal and stone on the ground behind her.

The ground where cora had been working on keeping things going was pounded down, like a pathway taken by thousands of people, and there was not even a speck of dust remaining on it, and Shen smiled slightly, before he went back to no expression at all. The clatter of metal that should had happened, however didn't, as a blur occered where he was, and he began to transfer knives systematically into the dozens of knife stands that had appeared beside him as he had begun throwing, he'd had to teleport and then bring them back in instants, there was enough room on each of the stands for almost 120 knives.. and there were 12 stands behind him. And while his dexterity wasn't as great as cora's, he was under certain structures to keep from using powers, so he also shifted space around him to make it easier.

"Cora.. darling.. your holding back.. I only told you that you were not allowed to use your ability to shift and transfer momentum, to expand that to no power use is a valid and correct, but that didn't mean not using your other enhanced superhuman capabilities. Still, 1437 knives before you dropped one is good with those limitations.. but I think you could do better... I think you can go up to 7000, so, if your don't end up draining your quantum reserves to nothing before we're done.. it won't be because I havn't tried."

A moment later, the number of knife stands had tripled.. then increased to about 60.. "I think, though, if we're doing this, perhaps we should make it harder.. " He blinked, and a moment later, he was back, with a box full of almost 100 water balloons, another box of about 100 bowling pins. "Your allowed to touch the bowling pins, but only with the tips of your fingers, and you are not to pop a single balloon, furthermore, I want you to try to meditate at the same time your moving." He looked at her a moment, this was going to be a challenge eve with what he was allowing her. "You are also to use every one of your natural attributes to the limits of your capabilities.." He paused, and waited for her to move to the same spot she'd been in before.

"Are you ready?" As soon as she said yes, he'd start throwing..

"I apoligize, Uncle Shen. I will do better," Coraline exhaled once she recovered somewhat, closing her eyes and inhaling deeply, placing a proverbial block on the past and the future and letting her senses expand to fill the now, feel everything around her both that much closer *and* more detached, fragile as her hold on the feeling was.

"I'm ready," her chorus intoned softly before vanishing into a blur of quantum boosted motion, the energies kissing along her nerves and senses to make everything more real than real and the objects flying out of Traveler's hands crawl through the air at her. The knives were treated much as before, bounced up and over in a dome of spinning steel, boosted ground speed bringing myriad piles of small stones from around the mountain in reserve against all those blades to come of those racks. The bowling pins were the next shell in, sent twirling slowly above her head with deft, forceful pushes from her fingertips. One bowling pin from each wave was devoted to the task of bouncing up a given water balloon, vectors measured oh-so-carefully against the delicasy of the flexible rubber membrane straining under the intertia of its watery burden.

At first the task was absurdly easy, the young metamorph the only thing moving full speed in a slow motion world, giving the meditative calm a chance to set and harden as the difficulty amped up and up and up and up with more objects moving through the air in every more complicated vectors. Sometimes Coraline had to adjust vectors upwards of a dozen times in her expanded time between seconds as Traveler sent a water balloon whistling on a course that would have it hit a twirling knife. Sometimes became often and often became always and... Slow motion though the world was, she wasn't fast enough anymore, and the mental space between between doing and thinking compressed, the meditative gap of time she was operating under narrowed as she slipped into the moving trance state.

And in that trance state, reflex triggered gifts as yet unrealized with no real input from her consious mind.

Coraline burst into light, pure quantum-charged photons bound in a vaguely humanoid shape that lost none of her innate beauty, an angel of fire blurring for a falling bowling pin with her finger tips and... dropping it as the pin passed through her 'fingers'. She jerked in surprise and realization, dropping out of her trance as the slow motion cathedral of flying objects started to collapse around and through her where she drifted.

Bodymorph (Light) by accident.

:)

Abruptly Shen became a blur of motion as he moved though the air around her in extreme speeds, snatching up knives pins and water balloons, as he moved around her, and even through her a moment or two, allowing every knife, bowling pin and water balloon to land with a certain degree of finesse, each blade set around Cora in a ring, followed by the pins, and then by the water balloons, which he quickly and precisely returned to the box they came from, not one of them having broken.

"Well done, Cora, darling.. as you see, in being one with the now, you uncover new possibilities.. " He looked over her with an expert eye. "Be careful about transferring your maximum speed to other things in this state of being.. energy equals mass times constant squared is the essence of the atom bomb.. I would hate to see you destroy something to that degree without intending to." Then he chuckled. "Of course, the speed of light is a constant I know you can surpass in this state of existence, the patterns of the future indicate that is the case.."

"Of course, you are energy now.. turn back to flesh now, if you would, daughter."

Coraline was momentarily lost in thought, featureless 'head' gleaming with the light streaming out of the perfieries of the quantum field bounding her current state. Seeing and hearing without physical eyes and ears. Having a node without having a brain. Her photonic body as responsive to her will as her physical one under the kiss of her quantum. So this was what Alex realized before she started her change. Amazing. She'd have to ask if she was right if she could drag her younger sister away from...

Then her brain caught up, processing what Uncle Shen had said and done, a 'flush' of momentary increased brightness passing down her form. "Of course, Uncle Shen," she replied, quantum field simulating her chorus by vibrating the air to in a way an experimental wave of her 'hand' had failed to. The note about causing atomic explosions was nearly lost in the small excitement of the implications of that small discovery, but absorbed with a grave nod.

She returned to solidarity and familiar flesh and dropped gracefully to the ground in the the middle of the circle, blue-on-black eyes filled with a small note of wonder and hope as she asked a simple question, "I wouldn't cause sonic booms like that, would I?"

Shen looked at her a moment and chucked. "Emulating Maia, I thought your sense of modesty was a little more developed then that, daughter." An amused and affectionate tone was in his voice but the question brought to mind the fact that she had forgotten to attune the Gi, and in her excitement, she hadn't realized that she was now, stark naked, sense her clothing had fallen right though her body when she shifted to light form. "It's a lovely sight, I admit.. and if I was feeling mean, I'd say you'd have to continue training like that, as a lesson." He chucked at her blush, which literally went from her head to her toes, her morphic nature showing her embarrassment so completely that her skin and hair had reacted to her embarrassment shifted to a soft rose blush..

The look of distress on her face at his words had him shaking his head. "Don't worry, I'm not feeling mean at the moment, do get dressed, but remember to attune anything your using in the future, I'm sure you'd love to end up naked in the middle of a photo shoot because you forgot to attune your swimsuit while dealing with a unexpected surprise or two." He continued, but his eyes were sparklingly with amusement as he waited for Cora to stop blushing and feel less embarrassed, which was going to take a few minutes. "And in answer to your question, no, as light, you would not make a sonic boom."

The modeling shoots had somewhat prepared her for the prospect of being seen naked by strangers between outfits, but by Uncle Shen because of such a basic mistake when he was teaching her in such an important thing..! That was almost worse in a lot of ways and she grabbed the pieces of the training outfit and fled for the nearest human-sized piece of cover before changing in a blur of motion. Oh god, oh god, oh god... The cover probably wasn't help much with Uncle Shen's own senses if he wanted to, but it was helping her a little to fight down the blush with the thunderous implications of the other discovery.

No sonic booms meant no tracking by the Powers That Be. And that, with a little help from Warren to randomize things, meant the sky back, as high and fast as she wanted to fly and as long as she had time to spare for it. There were no words for her joy. None at all. And FTL under her own power? The adrenilien junky in her wanted to test that idea *right now*. Just to see what would happen. Because she could.

She sucked in a breath to calm herself from both the happy-highs and mortified-lows. She was here to train. So she'd do that for now. Coraline padded from cover, managing to only to blush a little upon catching sight of her teacher, "Thank you. I consider the lesson learned. I hope."

Shen smiled, he was still amused and he could certainly tell that she was excited and happy about her discovery even with her embarrassment, in fact, she was almost past the embarrassment completely due to the excitement. He watched her a moment then began to circle around her thoughtfully. "I'd say we're to continue, except that your still very excited, I can see.. and your quantum reserves are only drained down by about 40%.. perhaps you would like an hour to try out your new abilities before we continue?" He waited to see if she say yes or no, either possibility was about equal in his glimpses of what was to be, just as the possibility of what had just happened was about even in his glances of what was to come. And giving her this opportunity would work toward calming her down considerably, even if she was to chose to focus on her training, because it was her choice, she would focus all the more.

Tempting. Very tempting. Very very tempting, actually, but...

"Thank you for the offer, Uncle Shen," she offered up at her teacher, showing a small bright smile at the sky above them that comunicated the sheer joy she felt, "But the sky will be there tonight or tommorow or the next day. I don't have to be afraid of hurting the family that way anymore. So I'll go. After I've earned it training here."

She bounced a little on her feet to vent the excitement before calming down and adding more seriously, "Besides, I don't want to drain my quantum completely in case something happens unless you feel that would help my training."

"I think it's time for a change up, with regards to what we are doing... let's see.. no rocks, no using anything that I haven't thrown at you to keep things moving.. but now, you are allowed to use your powers, all of them, let's see what your really capable of, my dear girl... I want you to push yourself to your very limits, hold nothing back, let's find out how far we can go." He stepped away back to where he had been standing when he had been throwing things earlier, and he grinned slightly, this was going to be.. fun, in a way. "One thing, don't send anything out of earth's gravity well.. as amusing as knocking a satellite out of the sky with a knife might be, I would prefer you avoid that, besides, if it can't come back down, so try to keep things no further up then kilometer at the moment." He was broadening her range, even as he restricted it, sense previously she'd kept everything within a few hundred meters. "Are you ready?"

Coraline didn't answer imediately, getting that distracted look she did when was thinking very heavily on things. Okay. Okay. New rules. Same goal. No problem. She inhaled and exhaled, slipping into the beginnings of a meditative trance and spun on one heel, eight pellets of flesh spurting from her hands and remaining connected on dancing strings of quantum as they bubbled and popped into maturity as flesh-colored creatures with six legs, a broad tough drum of a membrane across their backs, and the same eyes as their mistress. The young metamorph herself kicked off the ground and into the air, a blurred movement and a similar bubbling added a handful of neurological and biological quirks within the constraints of her uniform.

She met Uncle Shen's eyes for a heartbeat before blurring out of focus in a buzz of hyperflight. One of the fleshy constructs, dancing from foot to foot, commented in a crude aproximation of a human voice, "Yes, Uncle Shen."

"Good." With that word, he began to throw.. 1 balloon, 12 knives, 3 bowling pins, this was what was thrown at first, then a few minutes into the episode he added other things to the mess, without warning, without telling her, until after he added a dozen jacks, several bowling balls, dozens of throwing stars, dozens of metal rings, some of them large enough for the knives to go through, horseshoes, some stuffed animals, a few dozen bottles of water, and then dozens of soda cans and bottles, full soda cans and bottles... and finally, because it tickled his sense of humor, a kitchen sink. The hint of surprise from her at the first new object added had him speaking to her even as she kept the whirl of objects in the air. "Life is change, the flow of it experiences sudden shifts, and many of them come without warning, you are a metamorph, adapt to the change." A baseline human wouldn't be able to see anything but a blur of moving objects at this point.

Meanwhile, on the other side of a perceptual time dilation where thousands of objects tumbled ever-so-slowly through the air above her and over the mountain plateou with the constant tending of both herself and the eight 'subsections' of herself that she had skittering around to act as living adjustable trampolines to deal with the heavier objects, Coraline was at work, pushing herself harder than she had ever since her apothesis. Her mind was compressed to it's very limits tracking the thought-boggling numbers of vectors above her head. She didn't even want to think about the kitchen sink, expending precious quantum and time sending it bouncing straight up .95 kilometers every time it feel back to earth. There was no time but now, no place but here, her mind the dynamic fulcrim balancing perception and action, her quantum reserves ticking remorselessly towards zero.

It wouldn't be long now, a few more renewals, a few more more kisses of momentum manipulation on that accursed sink... The clock hit zero, and Coraline got herself out from under the soon to fall collection of objects, her constructs hunkering for cover as she snagged one of the particularly annoying jacks from midair and blurred to a stop on one knee in front of Traveler. The young metamorph dripped sweat and looked exhausted and deflated, quantum charged good-looks finding not much to charge with at the moment. "Yours, I think," her fractured chorus buzzed as she turned her hand over and released the jack to fall like the rest of the unatural display behind her, blue on black eyes ready to observe his finessed quantum trick for the next time.

Shen caught the jack that she let fall, and suddenly went into a blur of action himself, he wasn't trying to keep everything in the air, just to give order to the falling objects, so that everything ended up in it's proper place, the boxes and racks filled once more with all of the objects that he'd thrown, he was trying to direct their fall, so to speak, so his task was not as difficult as her's had been. Which was a good thing, because she had pushed herself to the limits of her abilities, and her limits were a bit further then his own, limits that she was now much more aware of, which was part of what this training was about. It took him a minute or so, though, some of the things had a long way to fall, which made it somewhat easier.

The lack of quantum was pulling her body back to the main configuration, she could still fly and move at hyper speeds, but her body wasn't as malleable as it normally was without any quantum reserves, she'd been drained down to just about non, but she now knew what she could and couldn't do much better.

"Well done, over 20,000 objects in play, not one to hit the ground, or any of the balloon's broken..now, something different, perhaps we should get maia, marina or warren for a sparing match now.. with your quantum drained it would be a learning experience."

"If you think it best," Coraline exhaled with a smile despite the sick nausea of quantum exhaustion roiling in her gut, "I can't promise to do more than tag Maia a few times before she knocks me down and possibly out in a few hits when she hits me though, Uncle Shen. I might last a bit longer against Warren and Marina."

The fleshy constructs continued their cower, too far away for direct control and too simple-minded and unprogramed to do more without help, a fact that bothered the young metamorph on one level of her thoughts even as she waited for a reply.

He walks over to her and gives her kiss on the forehead, then vanishes a moment, several minutes really, allowing her a bit of time to catch her breath, before returning shortly with a pair of her foster siblings.. it seemed that he was inviting more then one of them to join this training session at this point. "Testing your limits is part of the deal, I think we both have a much better degree of understanding of what your potential entails now.. so it's time to test your reduced strength against your peers." He looked over to Maia and Marina. "The game is tag, the goal is to avoid being touched by your sisters, no flying or leaving the mountaintop allowed, but you can go into the monastery, hiding is allowed, are you ready now?"

Maia smiled. Cora was much faster than she was. She didn't think that would change much, but if it was something to help her family, she was game for it. She readied herself, knowing Cora was no easy touch in this respect. She wore old tattered clothing, knowing it wasn't likely to survive..

Coraline nodded warily, her dark features framed by locks of white hair as she looked between her sisters, only awaiting the least sign of Marina's readiness before sprinting for the cover of the monastery. Okay. This was going to be challenging with them at full and her on empty and, ironically, chained to the ground just when she'd discovered that she could get the sky back. Challenging but fun. Doomed chase though it might be, it was still a chase

She grinned despite herself, mischeiously painting a bullseye on her forehead in living cells as a sort of challenge to her older sisters.

"Good luck to you, I'll be watching." Considering that Shen was more perceptive then 95% of nova's in existence, that was saying a lot, even among the family, only Epiphany Cora, and Warren were more perceptive.

With a nod from Marina, that was all that was necessary, and Cora was gone, but both of the other girls were after her in a flash, Maia simply leaving the tattered clothing she'd been wearing behind, as nothing but a few threads, and Shen smiled slightly, even as he considered this little exercise. It was interesting in a way, to think that there were folks who would play millions to watch this contest, but that wasn't what it was about, the point was to teach his wards a few things, especially Cora, but in time, the paths of the future had him teaching more then her.

Coraline knew that she was fast on the ground, even without a quantum reserve, but her sisters, with quantum fueling their reflexes, would be faster. So she'd have fix that. Uncle Shen had said she couldn't wear her eufiber colony, but nothing about draining it of some of the energy she stored in it. All the young metamorph had to do was reach it without being tagged. And fortunately, even post apothesis, she didn't think Maia and Marina had the eyes needed to spot her moving at full bore as more than a faint blur of an image. So she used that, jinking and dodging in her run towards the monastery, eyes and ears peeled for the blurred shimmers that her sisters would be in turn. If she could make it to the eufiber and Uncle hadn't moved it, then things would get really interesting. Even if she couldn't find it, the monastery would allow for an interesting twist on the game that might have her strip off her training gi in front of her teacher and siblings yet.

Hilarity from New Flesh states that having mega dex six+ means a contested dex vs perception roll to even spot the speeding nova in motion. Which means Maia and Marina are not going to be seeing Cora with their eyes most of the time. And Cora will be lucky to spot her sister half the time. Big old game of marco polo this.

:D

Maia chuckled. They couldn't see Cora at all, but then, She couldn't see her most of the time as well, even with her abilities. Unfortunately for Cora, Maia could keep this up for a very long time. Even Marina was fast, and only someone like Shen could observe the game going on.

There was nothing when she got to the spot where she had left her eufiber, just a note that said. "That would be cheating, my dear.. " in Shen's handwriting, leaving her to make whatever choices she might without recharging her reserves of quantum, and Shen allowing her and her sisters to continue the training without her being able to recharge her quantum reserves slightly.

Cora paused in her headlong flight to cock her head in unsurprised amusement at the frustration of her first gambit. Oh well. She had others. Eight others to be precise, as she felt the ready reply of her fleshy constructs making their way into the monastery and passing into the perifery of her direct control in fits and starts. Oh, that and one more...

By the time her sisters came up to the young metamorph's lingering spot, they'd find a discarded training gi and an already extremely hard to spot Coraline nearly impossible to find even as she worked her way deeper into the monastary, bouncing and zipping along with her skin neatly mirroring her surroundings as she fled, getting the lay of the land.

I was nothing, but since her colthes were already gone, Maia shrugged and shifted the colors within her skin. With suprising ease the colors shifted as she moved, her mind easily fast enough to keep up with the varied information coming in. Cora was so blidningly fast they couldn't keep up with her with standard senses. Even in that regard, shifting to nonstandard means, Cora was still too fast and had means of interference, enough that she didn't register there either.

On a Private Link she sent to Marina. "Freeze the floor, the walls and the ceiling, she's got to stay on the surface, we can both fly. Maybe that will help."

It did a bit, though superhuman dexterity was enough to run full speed on the ice and adjust for the slips and slides that were inevitable, and her skin shifted to match the background together with her high speed made it so that Cora was almost invisible, and for a moment it seemed as though she stayed ahead of the game, but Mariana and Maia slowly took away her options until at last they had her stuck inside a single room, guarding the only exit until Maia finally pinned her to the wall, holding onto her sister firmly so that she couldn't get away.

The sound of clapping froze everyone in mid action. "Three hours and 37 minutes, not bad, Cora, though it would have been less if either your sisters could have tracked you better." He glanced at Maia holding Cora pinned to the wall and throttled the thoughts of the two gorgeous girls in such close contact... naked.

"Everyone up, this exercise is over.. we'll move to something more sedate now, meditation and a game of go or chess I think for a bit may work fine."

This is a good place to end this thread - 4 baseline xp 2 nova xp... feel free to continue if you folks like, or have some idea you want to run with

Archived