Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Rainbow Room

"I understand the need for secrecy. I even understand that the fact I'm a publicly known second generation ova makes me dangerous. I'd just hoped that we could actually get to know you abit better, since You, Norman, are important to Cora." She looked to Harmony. "It was a pleasure to meet you, with any luck it won't be the last time."

She shook her head. "I know Cora will be returning next week, perhaps we'll return then too."

She wasn't mad just disappointed. That did show, and at least, she did enjoy the show. In truth she felt insulted by this reaction. While wholly not uncalled for in her mind, it did annoy her.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warren said dryly, "Maia and Butch will keep things appropriate I think."

Warren mentally sent Cora a cartoonish image of a man in agony (labeled "Cora's boyfriend") strapped to a rack. Maia turned the chain tightening crank with one hand, held a branding iron with the other, and angrily shouted, 'What do you see in our sister'? Behind her back a bugeyed and drooling Butch looked at the Swimsuit Issue of Sport's Illustrated with Cora as the cover model.

Warren continued, "And I like the idea of family time."

Coraline gave Warren a mock-annoyed look and bounced the image back over the link after a few moments of thought, redone in simple, bold chinese-style brushstrokes to portray each figure's essentials in as few suggested motions as possible. 'Cora's boyfriend' replaced with a figure done in blues and a question mark added to the end of the label. She kicked off the ground with a faint crackle of quantum, "I'll say something at dinner then about the idea. Thank you, Warren. For everything."

She waited politely, clearly eager to leave and start getting a grip on what had happened to her today at the Rainbow Room.

To Warren, Butch sent the following:

Ok, Warren. Two to beam up. Meet us where you dropped us off. We hit a wall when it came to talking to Cora's new friend.

Then, to Maia:

I notified Warren. He should be here soon. Let's get out of here before our irritation with the situation becomes any more obvious.

She waited politely, clearly eager to leave and start getting a grip on what had happened to her today at the Rainbow Room.
Warren got the 'distracted' look that meant he was either getting a family message or he'd once again lost control of his senses. Warren waved goodbye and said, "You're very welcome. That's what family is for."

To Warren, Butch sent the following:

Ok, Warren. Two to beam up. Meet us where you dropped us off. We hit a wall when it came to talking to Cora's new friend.

Warren sent On it. Gate will function only for the two of you. Let's not give away any more of our current location than we must.

Oddly the Butch and Maia couldn't see through the gate, it was a reflective wall.

Coraline flitted off through the Primus for her room with that farewell, letting her smile fall to a more introspective but no longer melancholy frown. Complicated. This was going to be very complicated... But good maybe, perhaps, she allowed with complex little aerial manuever she wouldn't have even dreamed of pulling off in such an enclosed space before this.

Hopefully she'd even get the chance to go back to the Rainbow Room and see where this crazy, insane, right-feeling emotion towards Norman could lead her...

Following their goodbyes with Norman and Harmonic, Butch and Maia made their way outside to a safe location. Warren's warp wall was well-placed and its reflective nature kept others from finding it.

The encounter with Norman was frustrating to say the least, and Butch would have been far more upset if the young nova wasn't quite so charming. As much as he hated to admit it, Butch just wasn't equipped for the subtle manipulations of nova-level social battles. Still, Cora's safety was in question here, and Norman was definitely going out of his way to hide things.

Shaking his head as he put his jacket back on, Butch stepped through the warp wall and back onto the familiar confines of Primus.

"Thanks for the lift, Warren," Butch said, putting his arm through the left sleeve. "That place was starting to get on my nerves a bit. How're things here?"

Butch thrust his hands into his jacket pockets, then shrugged.

"He seems to be the real deal," Butch said. "We watched him put the whammy on a whole room full of novas. He convinced them that they hadn't just experienced Cora's apotheosis. Not only that, but he presented Harmonic as one of us, too. Norman's got plenty to hide it seems. Both his parents are well-known. What did he say? Something like 'too much baggage' along with their names. Famous or infamous novas apparently. He claims he doesn't want to endanger them. He also claims to have had plenty of help in surviving all these years. Other than that, Norman's a mystery. Maia, anything to add?"

Warren speculated, "Baggage with names? Wild speculation time. Could Pax and Divis have had a kid together?"

Warren waited a heartbeat and then added, "Two of us is a lot. Hiding out in plain sight like that in the Rainbow? Wouldn't that have to be Ironskin's work? And if he knows two, he might know more."

While both Butch and Maia felt disappointed and maybe a bit insulted by the response they were given, Norman was somewhat insulted by their reactions as well, he understood it, but he was deeply irritated by it, they had indicated a interest in talk, and the moment they had not gotten an answer to their first question, they had departed, in a manner that he found downright insulting. Furthermore, as one who possessed a powerful degree of psychic awareness, he had been fully aware of the telepathic conversation going on between them even as they spoke with words, and though he hadn't been able to overhear it, he'd been insulted by them conversing with each other secretly, it had been impolite in his view of things.

He might have said something about it, if they had stayed to talk a bit longer, but the withdraw and disappointment had been so obvious to him, that he made no response at all, in fact when they attempted to depart, he would say nothing, but his manner would radiate a measure of disapproval, leaving them little doubt that he was displeased with their reaction or actions when they departed. And at that he was restraining himself considerably, he could have brought the full degree of his displeasure upon them, instead, out of respect for the relationship he was developing with Coraline, he chose this much less forceful response.

Butch looked at Warren for a moment, considering what he just said.

"Ironskin might be a good nova to talk to the next time we go," he said, nodding. "Cute notion about Pax and Mal. Might not be far off, but probably less crazy a combo. Still I say we should be cautious around Norman. I didn't want to hang around and let him put the whammy on me. He's definitely a charmer, and I'm no social juggernaut, so I felt it was best to bail when Maia seemed to be uncomfortable. I could tell he was a bit unhappy about it, and maybe I'll apologize if I see him again' but next time I'd like to maybe have Darrik with us. Or just more of us. I don't know."

Warren looked thoughtful and said, "Alex would say I'm working off of too few data points, and that's because I am... but my impression is lots of us have our parent's powers. I..."

Warren swallowed his next statement. His aberrations were his mom's, he'd assumed his dad was some flavor of warper, perhaps with some flavor of time manip thrown in. That whole line of thought was a little raw, even after this many years.

Visibly changing the rest of his sentence Warren continued, "...wonder. First gen Social Juggernauts? Maybe two of them? They might both be household names. Darrik would be a good choice for someone to bring, so would Pip. Any ideas if he's past the big A?"

Archived