Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - First Date

Maia

It was one of the rare moments Maia permitted herself to truly feel human. She’d been dropped off by Warren, and enjoyed a quiet day at the mall. Of course she drew a large number of stares, she usually did, even with the fairly baggy clothing. At seventeen, she had a figure most women would kill for, yet could never attain.

She paused in cleaning her trash, as someone cleared their throat.

She looked up, and standing there was a young man, with a faint smile. Now growing up with Darrik she new certain looks, and there was no denying what was in his eyes, but something about the way he smiled made her speak. “Yes?”

“Well I saw you over hear eating alone, and I was wondering if you’d like some company.” The young man had a strong baritone voice, which was perhaps his most attractive quality. She looked at him, and noted he looked nothing like her siblings. He wasn’t thin, he was a large thickly built young man, to be honest he was actually fat, but not obese. A red and brown goatee framed his mouth and chin, and obviously he was someone who shaved often. Dark brown hair, already showing a little grey combed back almost like a lion’s mane completed the rest of his hair while grey eyes beheld her. Desire was there, yes, but also curiosity, and amusement.

She nodded once, and he sat. “I am almost finished, I was just getting ready to leave.”

“Well don’t let me keep you if you have plans.” His lips curled in a smile, and he continued. “If you don’t though, well the offer of company is still good.”

She graced him with a smile, and she knew he was fighting to control himself. “Alright, you can show me around the mall. I’m new and I’ve not really had the chance to learn where everything is.”

“You got yourself a deal. ” She chuckled inwardly. He didn’t enunciate, and he hadn’t yet to try to touch her.

They finished putting away her trash, and he lead her around the mall for at least an hour. He was a gamer, though nothing like the ones she knew. When she raised a topic, in general she found him to be knowledgeable, for a baseline. Yes he snuck a look here and there, but he was only human. He at least tried not to stare much. In the end he was carrying her bags, insisting since it was her first time here and all.

He nodded after they finished the tour, and smiled. “When was the last time you got to see a good movie?”

“Define Good.”

She figured he’d try to pander to the fact she was female. She was wrong.

“Something with lots of action, explosions, and some semblance of plot that doesn’t make my brain hurt after five minutes.”

She laughed and shook her head. “No I have not. It’s been ages since I went to the theater.”

He laughed. “what’s so funny?” She was unaccustomed to that response.

“Never heard somebody call it theater, at least not what I described.”

“Touche.”

He nodded. “Well there’s the new James Bond movie playing at the Theater” He gave her an impish grin and continued. “If you got a couple hours, would you like to see it with me?”

“Are you asking me on a date?”

He didn’t even miss a beat. “Yes.”

“Okay.”

He led the way to the theater, and had already paid before she got her card out. They got the usual fair of popcorn, soft drinks and nachos. He led her into the theater, past at least half a dozen people who could only stair at the mismatched pair.

They sat and watched the movie, and he waited till about halfway through, when she leaned up for a drink, and snaked his arm across the back of her chair. She looked at him out the corner of her eye, and he had that same impish grin on his face. Through the remainder of the movie, his hand moved onto her shoulder, but no further. When it ended he removed it and started grabbing her things. She smiled, it was time for her to get going.

“I can walk you to your car if you want.”

“I don’t have one.”

“Okay.” He seemed totally noplussed by this.

She smiled at him. “Thank you for today..” She faltered, she’d never gotten his name, so she gave him hers. “My name’s Maia.”

He nodded. “ It was my pleasure Maia. Well if you’re leaving, I guess I should be going too. Seeya around?”

She nodded. “Maybe so..”

“Justin.”

She had already taken to the sky, as he watched in awe. “Thank you for today. You have no idea what it means to me.” She kissed the top of his head as he smiled.

“Well come back whenever you want a reminder, I’m not hard to find.”

She floated higher into the sky, smiling. “I will.”

He watched her fly off, and sighed. Today had been almost like a dream, She hadn’t seemed like a nova at all, just a gorgeous young woman.

Elsewhere, a jubilantly smiling Maia arrived to be warped home, the warm feeling of the day making her happier than she’d felt in years. She felt normal. She knew she wasn’t, not at all, but still Today had been a great day. For a first date, things could have gone a lot worse. She stayed fully clothed, she hadn’t had to hurt anyone, and everything considered, She wanted to come back.

The town, the people, they were all ordinary, the mall was nothing special. It was what she really needed. It made her feel… human.

Archived