Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Agreements and Disagreements [3.0]

"Yeah," Butch said. "Why don't we all go back to the kitchen then. We can finish up with breakfast and talk out anything that needs talking out."

Frankly, Butch hoped that Pip would open up to the group, and let them know just what it was that caused her to run off in the first place. There was great darkness in her past, but with a family like theirs, it might help to talk it out. Besides, he was sure that there was plenty of darkness in all of their pasts. For sure, there was plenty in his own. Either way, Butch wasn't about to press the issue with Pip. If they just went back to the kitchen to eat and plan, he'd be fine with that.

He began walking back to the kitchen.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did one say to one's troubled sister that you'd rather be almost anywhere but in the same room as them because they just accidently reduced you to a useless, mentally flacid lackey but you still love them with all your heart, really, and it was wonderful that they had overcome some of their troubles and gotten a nice power boost in the process?

Simply put: you didn't. Grin and bear it and channel those feelings another way later.

"Oh, my eggs! They'll be burned by now," Coraline 'suddenly' recollected to give herself the excuse to zip back into kitchen at haste, hurriedly gathering emotional resources to get through the rest of the conversation.

Epiphany breathed easier as the others headed back to the kitchen, things closer to normal. Realizing she was getting left behind, Pip hurried to catch up. As the hall blurred by, she missed the turn into the kitchen, moving much faster than she had ever moved before and not ready for the speed. With a jarring thump Pip was stopped by the wall at the end of the, thankfully reinforced, hallway.

Blinking, Pip peeled herself off the wall, her nose a bit sore and a few feathers floating slowly to the ground. Hoping no one noticed, she turned around and made her way, slowly, ever so slowly, careful not to hurry, to the kitchen.

Click to reveal..
Hypermovement, isn't learning about new power fun?

Maia chuckled behind Pip. It was odd for her to be forgotten, but she smiled. "Careful now Epiphany. You aren't nearly indestructible like me."

She moved on past her and smiled. "Cora and I have both done that more than once, usually racing each other."

Back in the kitchen now, Butch decided he was hungry even though he didn't need to eat. The eggs that Cora were worried about were still in their pan on an unlit burner next to one that was aflame. He turned off the burner, then went to the refrigerator and removed some bacon. In a large pan, he began frying it.

Closing his eyes and ignoring the world for a second, he listened to his body. It didn't speak in words anyone could hear, but it made sense to him nonetheless, had always made sense to him.

For instance, he knew the caffeine in the coffee he had just drunk was already absorbed by his stomach and small intestines and he would have felt its effects if not for his Nova metabolism. Since yesterday, before their jaunt to meet with Rousseau and then rescuing Zia and Eric, Butch had not eaten. The contents of his stomach from the roast beef sandwich he had yesterday had already been digested and absorbed into his body. There was no need to worry though since his body could run on Quantum energy.

Opening his eyes, he saw the rest of his siblings re-enter the kitchen. The bacon began to sizzle.

"Guess you can resume egg duty, Cora," Butch said, pointing to the uncooked food in the pan on the counter. "I started up some bacon. Let's finish cooking and then we can get back to our discussion."

Pip gives Maia a wry smile. "Yeah, thanks. I was very much not expecting that. I guess more things changed than I originally noticed. I'm going to have to try and figure out what this Apotheosis has affected before I go running off into potentially dangerous situations."

The young metamorph nodded thanks at Butch and resumed egg duty despite the fact her appetite was throughly killed, and she had no intention of speaking unless spoken to. Darrik could argue the finer points of leaving the majority of the group on telepathic stand-by while only he as the mouth and she as the eyes attended any meetings.

Finally making it to the kitchen, Epiphany moves to an out of the way corner and leans against the wall. With people still moving around getting breakfast, she takes a few moments to run her fingers through her wings, settling a few feathers that didn't quite lay right after having been unfurled. Tying her hair into a loose knot at the base of her neck, Pip looks up at the others through lowered lids. She wasn't sure how everyone was really doing.

She knew that her earlier flashback drama was bad, she had leaked memories into the network and it distressed her to have burdened them with those memories. Then to top it all off, she underwent apotheosis with everyone right there and did a virtual will rape with her changes. Even if they forgave her, Pip was having a hard time figuring out how to even start forgiving herself.

She could feel her mind stretching a a bit now that things were calm and sensed that perhaps she had gained more there than she thought. Epiphany was terrified at the idea that the change she had undergone might make her more able to take thoughts from people against their will. That she thought it was possible meant it probably was and the idea made her pale under her fur.

Darrik sat down quietly, appetite stilled for the moment, and glanced over the others as they reacted and moved through the kitchen. Pip was still grappling with the influence of her vastly increased abilities, Cora clearly uncomfortable with being subjected to the charm of Pip even if it had been uncontrolled. It had cast its pale over the morning, but Darrik sought to push beyond that and handle the discussion with DeVries in advance.

"All right," he said finally. "So we'll ask Uncle Shen to set up a meeting with DeVries to discuss opportunities. I think Cora and I will suffice for that, and this time I will be more prompt about relaying updates over the network."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived