Jillian Johnson

Kristin flinched as seeing the accusation in Jill's eyes, lips tightening into an angry frown. It was fair! Why should she feel guilty for something someone else did... Yet, she did. With Dr. Shattuck there, and Dan too, there wasn't any reason for her to stick around. She had done everything could, everything but one, because that super-sized Sarah wanted to see someone change, it seemed.

Kristin didn't. Seeing someone she knew, someone she loved go through that once, just before she cut off her brother's head, had been more than enough. Grown-ups were stupid, blaming everyone but themselves, then skipping out on you without even letting you know.

With everyone fussing over Jill, Kristin slipped out, surprisingly deftly for someone of her muscular build. She walked over to the mess-hall and got a large bucket of soapy water and a ShamWow, then easily carried them back to her truck. She parked the F-350 Super-Duty next to her storage shed and got to scrubbing off any trace of blood, and other dirt and grime while she was at it.

Her stunningly wholesome, youthful face was screwed tight, so add odds with her muscular, curvaceous development, as she scrubbed with furious vigor. She wasn't going to risk her cousin getting infected just because they insisted she bring Jill back to the Refuge, even if they had to kill her anyway.

Seeing the scenario playing out as well as she could exspect, Sarah sighed and pushed off from the wall she was leaning against, standing to her full-imposing height before adding softly, "Dan, Kristen and I got her back here. If you and she would like me to... take care of the rest, all you have to do is ask, okay?"

And without waiting for the Marine to answer, the blonde megamorph left for the interior of the Refuge in search of a shower and a change of clothes back at Dan's place.

He didn't say anything when Kristen left. When Sarah spoke he shook his head, replying even as she left. "I'll handle things when the time comes." There was a pained tone in his voice as he looked at Jill.

He laid a hand on her shoulder. "When I heard you told her no and made it stick, I knew how hard that had to be, believe me. I was very proud of you Jill. That took courage."

He looked at Myfwany. "How much time?" He knew most turned in a day, two at most, but with conditions like this he had no idea.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Myf shook her head. "Hard to say for sure. Two, maybe three days."

She hesitated, then said, "Dan...would you mind waiting outside for a moment? I have something I need to talk to Jill about."

"I know I'm going to die, Doc - you don't have to try to comfort me. I made this decision. I wanted to die.", even though Jill now regretted having gone too far she was ready to face the inevitable consequences.

She was infected and the time she had left was running out - quickly.

Myfwany clenched her teeth at Jill's words, but kept her angry reply back. It wouldn't matter now. It was too late. Jill had succeeded in her goal of suicide.

"You wanted to die. Well, mission accomplished," she replied crisply. "You're going to. I can't offer you comfort, Jill...not anymore. All I can do..." Myf shook her head. "...is ask you to do me, and all of humanity, a favor. And maybe offer your death some larger meaning than..." She cleared her throat, banishing the urge to rant at Jill through sheer will. "...than what it's had until now."

Jill felt like protesting at first. It was obvious that Myf was struggling herself with the situation and she used all her professional training to deal with it in the most humane way.

Only slowly it dawned on Jill that Myfwany was offering her some kind of legacy. Something that Jill could do to help the others conquer the plague and give her death a meaning.

The buff blonde nodded eagerly and blushing slightly with embarassment. "I'm sorry...", she whispered to Myfwany, "I...I don't know what to say. I don't feel like myself anymore - I used to be... stronger...", she confessed sadly.

Myfwany sighed and nodded. "I don't know for sure, but I'm starting to suspect that Violet's power works even when she's not trying to make it work. Fueled by her subconscious, it's constantly, subtly pulling at people around her. In time, it could even become a kind of addiction. I know she'd never wish the pain you've felt on you though."

"Anyway...the favor I want to ask is that you allow me to conduct medical observation and testing on you as the condition progresses. As far as I know, there's never been a real study of its progression, and it's obviously not the kind of thing that I could find subjects for ethically. But...you're young and healthy, and you were just infected hours ago. I'd have a chance to see the entire infection cycle. That could lead to isolating the source and possibly, eventually, a cure. I won't lie and say that's -likely-, but it's possible."

"The downside is that the symptoms are unpleasant, and I'd need you to try to hold on until the very end. I'd make you as comfortable as I can, but there's only so much that can be done. I want you to know that if you choose not to do this, there'll be no hard feelings at all...I totally understand and won't think any less of you. No one outside this room will know, either way."

"Given all that, do you feel ready to decide?"

There was little hesitation in Jill's response and Myfwany could see something new in her eyes - gratitude and even hope.

"Of course I agree... it is the least I can do for messing up so badly. If you can find a cure because of watching me... change I gladly oblige.", she paused for a moment wiping away a stray tear.

"I... lost my ability to objectively judge what Violet did or didn't do. I love her... even now I love her although I hate her for...", Jill sighed, "I don't even know why I hate her anymore. I feel so empty.", she almost succumbed to it but Myfwany's offer gave her strength and she shook off the dragging emotions.

"I just don't want to hurt you, Doc... how... how are we going to do this?"

• 2 weeks later...

"We'll take precautions," Myfwany promises. "In fact, if everything goes like it should, you won't even be in the Refuge when...well, during this process. Dan and I and a few others are going to check on Jon, and see if I can use some of his facilities. He's in an advanced medical research lab near Dallas. If everything goes well, then we can have you up there very soon. As far as I know, no one's ever gotten detailed medicals scans of this condition. It's too fast, and too dangerous. But if I can see what's happening in your body, then our understanding of the plague will leapfrog overnight."

"We'll have you in medical restraints," Myf adds. "They won't be uncomfortable, but you don't have to worry about hurting anyone. And I promise...we won't let you..." she cleared her throat. "Linger. You'll have dignity."

"Anyway, it won't be long before we're off to the facility. Once we're done there, we'll come back for you. Hopefully just a few hours. Alright?"

Archived