Aberrant RPG - Starvation

z-Carver

In game terms, how does starvation affect a Nova? On one hand, they have heightened metabolic functions, requiring massive amounts of food for healthy bodily functioning. On the other hand, Mega-Stamina would reduce effects of starvation somewhat. Where is the trade-off? Which would have the greater effect? Mega-Stamina, or the loss of the needed nutrients?

Tough to get that detailed. For those Novas who still need to eat I would think you could link hunger to Quantum Pool. Less you have the more hungry you are. With a full pool you would still need to eat but say not anymore than a normal human would.

I would say MegaStam might help streamline starvation when it happens. Optomizing a Novas body to stave off the negative effects as long as possible.

System for this though would require a bit more work.

Waki: That's an interesting idea, but I don't buy the idea that hunger would reduce quantum. q comes from ambient energy, and not just chemical energy from food.

There are two possibilities as I see it: Hunger reduces die pools, or it increases difficulty. I'm more inclined to increase diff, since reducing die-pools could leave people at pools of 0 for things like survival (making it impossible for the untrained to survive in the wild, instead of just difficult).

Increasing difficulty on a scale from 7-10 is pretty harsh, so it should be done slowly. +1 diff for not eating for more than 48 hours, +2 for not eating for a week, +3 for not eating for two weeks, and after that rolling endurance to survive (no successes or a botch kills you), with permanent stamina loss resulting from a successful roll of fewer than 5 successes. That would be appropriate for a human, and because novas have are naturally tougher than humans, I'd say it goes for a nova as well, despite the requirements for more food.

Mega-stamina would increase these figures the same way it increases healing rates, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:
Waki: That's an interesting idea, but I don't buy the idea that hunger would reduce quantum. q comes from ambient energy, and not just chemical energy from food.
I think that the way of replenishing a Qpool would be varied among Novas. Meaning some who don't need to eat might harvest it from ambient Zero Point energy. Some might have special diets in their alternate form, a fire based character might eat coal for example. Some might just get very hungry and eat a lot. There is no hard core system for this I guess but I see variety and diversity in sustenance for Novas just like the sheer range of what Novas can be.

Actually, the core book states that when your Quantum Pool is low you are exhausted and hungry. So there must be some link between food and q pool, even if it is only in the head because we have been taught we get energy from food. Heh.

~Noir

(for simplicity, I'm considering each meal for a nova to be a nova-sized meal)

I would think your average nova needs to eat as often as your average human and Mega-Stamina helps reduce the frequency.

Adaptability might also give us a hint on how to deal with it.

For example, a nova with Mega-Stamina can operate for a number of days before requiring sleep. A nova with Adaptability doesn't need to sleep at all as long as they have one Quantum Point in their body. Also, a nova with Adaptability and one Quantum Point doesn't need to eat, hence, by analogy, a nova with Mega-Stamina would require food less often.

Archived