Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [CoQF] Testing the Waters [2.0]

"Yes, though I don't doubt we'll come to swords with Proteus teams when on rescue efforts. And everyone else's." Darrik's smooth voice came across as a warning for Cora, meant to remind her that things were not as simple as they sounded. "Proteus though, such a hydra. Madame Rosseau's friend Corbin managed to use his trial to reveal the Project's existence. It was such a farce, since Utopia claimed to dismantle for certain the 'cabal' and yet... I know from a certain person I trust that it was business as usual barely weeks subsequent." Done musing, he glanced back at Madame Rosseau, choosing to see how she responded to his unexpected knowledge.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She sighed a moment. "The director has managed to bury and rebury her name & identity, I only know that it's a woman, and she's very secretive.. she also has nova's fully on board with her plan.. but has been opposed at times, by other groups also associated with Utopia. But I do know that the lid is starting to come off her plan, and you folks are part of the reason why."

She paused a moment. "Listen, if your interested in doing something, I have a issue that needs seeing too.. there are a number of young children, ages 8 to 12, all of them second generation, like you all, who are hidden in different spots around the globe.. As nova's grow more powerful, some of the nova hunters are getting more capable of finding them, even with me using my powers to make it harder to do."

Darrik made a noise in his throat. "Be more precise. You want to move them elsewhere, to our hideaways or elsewhere? Are these spots ones you have selected or know of from their families? And are any in close danger of being captured or killed? How many are you expecting us to take on?"

"Four Families that I know, nine children between them, two of the children are orphans though, I presently have both of them well hidden, but a safer option would be much prefered.. I know these people, and I fear that they will not be hidden much longer, if Shen hadn't said this meeting was of critical importance, I'd be working on that now. I want them moved somewhere safer, and from the sounds of it, you folks can do that."

Maia's touch on her shoulder, far more than Darrik's condescending know-it-all remark brought the young metamorph's anger back under control, although a simmering well of rage remained in her blue-on-black gaze as she turned her head and nodded thanks at Maia. Her eufiber flowed away in a perfect circle around Maia's hand to protect it from potential harm.

'We're definitely going to do this if we can avoid being used as bait or pawns,' she commented over the psychic web to those of her siblings present, mental distraction bleeding into her message as she skimmed up and down the e-m spectrum.

Maia noticed the Eufiber, and withdrew her hand sorry Cora. Forgot about that for a moment. And I agree with you, but we'll have to be careful, perhaps bringing the others in later, once we have a handle on the current situation would be best.

Darrik impassively calculated food supplies, space and other totals. To be honest, at most, the orphans would be enough, an overload of people could occur on the island. And the sub needed to be worked on...

"Alright. Give us names, faces, locations, evidence to show on arrival that we aren't hostile if possible, etc. We'll see about getting them out as soon as we can."

Butch was excited by the proceedings. It seemed like they were finally getting somewhere with helping other 2nd generation novas. There were whole nova families out there that needed help. If only there was a group like the one Butch was a part of when he was a kid...but that was getting ahead of himself. They hadn't even met any of these novas-in-need yet let alone rescued or provided safe harbor to any of them.

Coraline's anger was strong. Although he was used to her chorus of voices, there was something especially disquieting and eerie about it when she was angry. That growl, even though it was only two words, spoke volumes. He was glad that Maia was able to temporarily calm her down, but he knew that the issue wasn't entirely resolved. Deep down, Butch wasn't sure if he felt all that differently from Cora. Somewhere, in the darker corners of his mind, Butch heard himself calling for blood, too. Hopefully there'd be a chance to get some payback for all those who were killed by this shadow organization, the crap-stains that worked for them, and the mysterious piece of scum ridden garbage in charge.

But that would have to wait. If this organization's goal was to destroy the 2nd generation of novas, then keeping as many 2nd generation novas alive as possible was, beyond destroying them entirely, the best way of beating Project Proteus for now. He wondered what other information Rousseau had on Proteus though. Perhaps after they played Underground Railroad for the 2nd generation, they could start to dismantle Proteus.

After Darrik spoke, Butch added, "Can we also count on you for assistance if we make a move against Proteus? No moves right now, but down the road a ways if it comes to it. Whether it's information sharing or direct assistance, in the long term, we might eventually make a move against them, and any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Proteus needs to go, and we might just be the novas to flush them down the toilet for good."

Over the psychic network, Butch focused on Cora and said,We'll gut them good, Cora. When the time's right, we'll get some payback for all those we've lost along the way.

"That's for another time, Butch. Quite another." Darrik's crisp, rich, seductive tones were laced with just the slightest hint of frustration, and a clear insistence that elephants be run over the entire site to cover up any mention of this gun-jumping that Cora and Butch were prone to doing.

He understood that everyone wanted vengeance, but any nova genius knew that such efforts took connections, information and other work that would take years, if not decades to do... assuming Proteus did not regrow a third time. A hydra, after all. Darrik sent a group network thought, *You all need to leash your inner hounds. Cora and Butch in particular. I'll explain later, but for now, don't continue to give me a brain aneurysm.*

"The orphans are most in need of help, I have them both hidden in New Zealand, but, it's a temporary thing until I can move them somewhere safer, I know that Proteus has agents moving on the continent, especially hunting for nova children, but it was all I could do on short notice, I planned to move them this week. If you are willing to grab them today, I'd prefer it.. I'll turn my powers to making sure you get.. " At which point the phone was carrying rang... she picked it up.. and listened.

"Yes.. they are.. ok, I'll deal with it... get the children moving." She turned her eyes to the Nova's gathered. "No time anymore, a mother hunter team just entered the village they are staying at.. I hope you folks can get there fast, because I have turned luck against this team in particular, to slow them, but the children are in considerable danger. I didn't give them a password, sense a telepath could take that from their minds.. they will trust you if you show them this." She pulled medalion which was an celtic knot, in gold, with an greek omega symbol on the back, and then pulled out a map of New Zealand.. and quickly circled a spot on the map.

Darrik took the map and medallion immediately after she showed him the spot. "Right," he quickly announced, pocketing both, "boys and girls, get ready. I'll get us into New Zealand shortly."

He smiled one last time ravishingly at Sophia. "Farewell, Madame Rosseau. A pity we couldn't talk more now."

With a dart off and a wave, he signaled goodbye, and the shadows burst out, wrapping around everyone in the rescue party. Evidently, Darrik was having trouble for he muttered something, and focused hard. The shadows rippled repeatedly, before everyone loomed into the village, with Darrik's mix of grimace and smile suggesting they were there.

Click to reveal..
Repeated Shadow Steps till we get there, estimated distance 18,210 km

#1 Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 1+4+5+8+10+1+3+7+6+5: 3 sux, 200 km

#2 Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 8+4+9+5+2+1+3+10+7+6: 4 sux, 2000 km

Using 1 WP for the next, giving 1 sux.

Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 9+7+2+2+1+3+6+8+7+1: 4+1 = 5 sux, the last ~16,000 km.

WP: 7/8 QP: 40/50

The way Darrik chided the others irked Maia, but again she said nothing. The next thing she knew they were in another part of the world.

"A little more warning next time would be nice." That said, she went into a protective stance, and began scanning the surroundings. Her senses were sharp, not like some of her siblings, but more than most humans could ever boast.

Butch wanted to slap some manners into Darrik, but that would have to wait. He put that into the back of his mind, and instead focused on the impending danger to the children Rousseau had hidden. Apparently the hiding job wasn't good enough...

The jaunt through shadows was disorienting for a moment, but Butch shook it off and made himself ready. Across the network, he sent a message to the group: Anyone who wants some of Butch's Homemade Quantum Steroids, you let me know. I'll make you stronger without all the nasty side-effects of an anabolic shot.

He'd wait and see if he'd need a jolt himself. For now, he tried to get the lay of the land. His senses were sharp. Sharper than human, but not sharper than some of his siblings. He was especially on the look-out for these children. They'd need protecting and fast.

Again, across the network to anyone who was paying attention, Butch mentally said: Do we know what these kids look like? We're running on thin intel here, and I don't like it.

Cora ignored her siblings upon arrival, instead letting her mind bleed out her eyes and ears and nose and into the world around her like a klaediscope, intaking and sorting and discarding and all so rarely *retaining* what she was sensing, a still young woman merely twitching her head from side to side.

"Found the children," her chorus of voices confirmed happily as she brought herself back to herself, her tones dropping into an altogether darker emotion, "*And* found the hunters."

She pumped what she'd seen through the link, pointing out first the Nova children, a nine year old girl and ten year old boy being led up the slope of the near-by mountain by a baseline guardian. The second pulse identified the Motherhunters, two Novas, three baselines, working their way through the village towards the mountain, the memory tinged in scarlet.

Cora kicked off the ground and into the air in a shimmer of quantum, features blurring as she kicked her reflexes into overdrive. 'Think you can get the children out of here while we take care of these, brother?' she asked to Darrik.

Click to reveal..
Found stuff out and activated Flight and Enhanced Movement. Down five quantum.

Darrik has managed to put them directly on the side of the village with the hunters between them and the children climbing the other side of the mountain. The hunters appeared to be hunting them, they were all dressed in black suits, and were presently unaware of the new arrives, they were not moving fast.. Darrik's team could meet them or the children fairly quickly..

I'll go after the hunters, I suck at hiding anyway. She readied herself for real combat, not a sim, not a sparring match. A small part of her smiled inwardly. This would begin paying these bastards back for what they did to all her siblings, and to her.

Butch stretched his neck and shook out his arms. He was eager to hit the Men-in-Black before they could get to the kids

I'm hitting these hunters, too. Marina, I vote you smack them with a blizzard. I think we should try to scatter the hunters a bit, baselines from the novas, and then pick them off. Maia, you pick one nova and paste the bastard as hard as you can. I'll try and get close enough to decay the other one. Cora, you lay some pain on the baselines. Strike hard, strike fast. I agree with Cora and think Darrik's our best shot for getting to the kids and getting them out of harm's way. If that doesn't work, well, I'm open to suggestions. How's that all sound?

No complaints on my part. Darrik wanted payback as much as the others, but he wasn't naturally accustomed to direct conflict, to a stand-up fight, and though his powers allowed him a degree of capacity in a fight, they were much better for allowing him to avoid one. Given the psychic link-passed information on both threats and poor orphans, he calculated the general distances as the crow flies, and wasn't displeased by what he was seeing. I can get there in an instant to them, and drop them off on the island quickly. Do you want me to come back and collect you, or should I hang back and watch the show?

'Once the children and their guardian are safe with the others, get back here and be ready to pull us out if we need it. No way these monsters don't have an eye in the sky following them,' answered Coraline distractedly, fists clenched and picking out a baseline or two to dismantle, 'For now... Go. We'll distract them.'

And with that, Coraline arched skyward at around fifty meters a second, building altitude as she left an opening for Marina to unleash her blizzard and her stronger siblings to lay into the Novas. She'd follow up afterwards against the baselines.

Maia could move at speeds only a couple of her siblings could match, and along the ground, there was nomistaking her thunderous charge. Each step left a small crater, as her clothing began to shred under the onslaught of her unrestricted physical might. She drew back her fist, and she singled out the one of the ones who moved only as a nova could, and let fly with a punch powered with enough force to pulverize boulders.

Click to reveal..
activating awe inspiring, and enhanced movement

taking 2 actions, 1 move, 1 attack.

Attack -2 7successes

Damage 5d10+[25]

27 Damage bashing

48/50 qp

The young metamorph turned her upward arc into a downward dive, flesh bulging and reforming into a far more deadly form even as she hit ground a few feet away from one of the Baseline Motherhunters. Coraline boasted two more pairs of arms and a two-meter long barbed lash of muscle and bone where her original left arm had been, her nerves singing with channels for quantum to kick her reflexes even faster on the offensive.

She was a blur as she struck out with the whip, blue-on-black eyes narrowed and angry, extra limbs splayed out behind her and feet already dancing in a pre-emptive dodge should her strike fail to drop her target or the other two target her.

Click to reveal..
Okay, three things here: Bodyshift, an Attack, and a Dodge Roll

Bodyshift mega dice

3d10.hits(7)=2 (so, 4)

Bodyshift normal dice

6d10.hits(7)=3

So, 7 Successes to burn. Going for the Rapid Strike Enhancement, Tendrill with +2 Lethal Damage, two instances of Extra limbs, and Genetic sampler.

Attack to hit roll with a boost from Rapid strike and Extra limbs, mega dice first

5d10.hits(7)=1 (so, 2)

Normal dice

13d10.hits(7)=4

So, six total to hit a baseline Motherhunter

Damage of 7 potential Lethal

7d10.hits(7)=3

Three Lethal damage

Dodge Roll mega-dice

5d10.hits(7)=1 (so 2)

Dodge Roll normal dice

7d10.hits(7)=5

So 7 successes on her Dodge roll should she be targeted. 41 Quantum left in her pool.

Oz was momentarily disorientated as they appeared at the edge of the village. It had all seemed to go so fast, one second they were talking and then suddenly it was time to get to work. He thought they would at least have had a bit of time to plan.

He quickly got his wits about him and took in the situation. At first he thought of sending the baselines into the air but stopped when he thought about the injuries they might sustain. He berated himself for worrying about the bastards who were chasing the nova children but he still couldn’t bring himself to try and crush one with his abilities.

Thankfully his mind was fast enough that all these dilemmas disappeared in an instance. Seeing Butch charging one of the novas he made up his mind.

‘I’ll-give-you-an-easy-target-Butch.’ He sent out, his words still blurred together even over the mental link.

He slowly moved in the hunters direction glad he didn’t need to be very close for this to work. He focused on the Nova Butch was heading for and a moment later the hunter was pinned in place as gravity quickly rose around him. Oz hoped it would hold the man.

The plan was the best one Butch could think up with minimum time and information about their enemies. His doubts lasted only a moment before everyone started moving.

Maia was the first one out of the blocks. In terms of raw strength, Butch didn't know anyone who could compare to Maia. If he altered his own musculature, Butch could approach her strength, but only temporarily. With terrifying speed, leaving craters behind her with each step, and clothes shredding, Maia laid one hell of a punch on her target.

Coraline, already airborne, started a fierce dive at the hunters. Butch watched her body twist and contort into a new, deadly form. New arms sprouted from her torso, and her left arm turned into some sort of nightmarish barbed flesh whip. She moved so fast that Butch had difficulty following the action.

Marina was ready to act, too. He hoped that she would be able to mess things up good for the hunters with a sudden storm...

Oz's mental note caught Butch off guard for a moment, and he felt like an idiot for not including his gravity warping brother in the plan. Still, the idea was a good one, and he hoped that Oz would be able to make his target easier to hit.

And with that, Butch was ready to act. This was not the time to pull any punches. The children were in serious, immediate danger, so Butch readied his most frightening ability. He had only done this a few times before, but now seemed like the time to hit this unknown nova with his decay assault.

Butch's quantum abilities were based on manipulation of biological energy. For the most part, Butch used this ability to make himself stronger, heal faster, or deal some damage. His healing capabilities were somewhat limited, but hopefully he wouldn't be using those skills...yet.

No, for now, Butch let the juice flow, felt his body hum, and reached out for the nova Maia didn't hit. Feeling the nova's energy signature, Butch focused. "Let the bastard rot," Butch thought. He grabbed hold with his own energy and..twisted his target's biological energy, changing it in what he envisioned would be a permanent and deadly way for the nova in question.

Click to reveal..
Action = Decay (Disintegration) nova hunter not hit by Maia

Normal Dex + Disintegration 7d10 = 2 successes

Mega Dex 1d10 = 2 successes

Total successes = 4

Damage = Quantum + Successes = 5 + 4 = 9 aggravated damage (potential)

The three girls were first out of the gate, as Marina didn't move, but brought down a thick fog upon the town, as the rest of the team made their assault.

Maia's movements as she ran forward left the sound of moving wind in her wake, her siblings could actually see her passage due to the fog that was pushed aside as she moved. But the sound of her fist impacting her opponent was like a thunderclap.. it rang throughout the entire village, startling everyone who didn't know she was there.. the force of the blow contained so much released force that it broke every bone in her targets body, who didn't possess the defenses nessary to take the blow, and was too suprised to dodge.. It sent him flying into a nearby wall, and though it, leaving them nothing but a macabre smeared design of cloth, flesh and bone on the next wall.. and the unleashed force was such that it rippled over Maia's skin, leaving her wearing little more then scraps of clothing, as even those scraps began to fall away, she'd be quite indecent if it wasn't for the covering fog.

Cora's attack moved at the same speed as Maia's.. but her speed was even greater, her path was just as easy to see marked against the thick fog.. and her opponents were lesser one's, they had no defense against such a terrible attack... the three baseline's were working together, and as Cora's whip struck the lead, it wrapped around him and ripped against flesh and blood, causing him to scream as he dropped his gun, and as the other two fired at her, she dodged the bullets in a matrix like movement that had to be seen to be believed... one of the baseline's was just starting to scream mayday into a communicator.

The last opponent, was much tougher, stronger and more capable, even though he didn't look it.. unfortunately, between the gravitation powers of Oz, and biokinetic powers of Butch, he was doomed.. for he could not soak Butch's attack... and he couldn't dodge it either, as he was unable to move. Within moments, flesh seemed to ripple and then just disintegrate off bone, followed by the bone, leaving nothing but a pile of black rot, dust and mold.

At the same moment, Darrik moved himself to the location of the rescuee's, holding out the medallion that he'd been given, as the serious eyed children halted, then looked at him, and back their guardian and nodded.

It had gone, splendidly, more so perhaps then even expected by the team, not even three seconds had passed so far.. and matters were.. almost resolved already... baring any reinforcements showing up.

Darrik smiled dazzlingly at the trio, but there was clear pain in his visage. He had enough of the short time to observe the starting slaughter, for that was what it was. The others were driven by revenge and pure anger. Not a great issue at the moment fighting-wise... but this unchecked, could set a bad and brutal example for the future.

We're fighting a war with more than quantum blasts and fists..

Then he settled for the others, waiting for him. "That which you're hearing on the other side are your hunters being... dealt with. We're taking you to a safe spot, for the time being. There's plenty of food in the kitchens..."

The shadow of the mountainside roiled over them all and swallowed up the four. Darrik smoothly held the course, and they were back on the island, in the cavern's kitchen. "Like I said, have something to eat, if you need it. But just stick here for the moment, please."

At once he stepped out and threw out two mental messages. One broadcast to the working crew of siblings.

*Guys, please focus on the submarine. Seriously, we don't have time for space searching.*

Separately and privately: *Uncle Shen? Can we talk?*

Click to reveal..
With Krul's permission, Darrik is going out of normal order, especially since he isn't in this massacre.

Shadow Step back home:

Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 1+8+9+9+1+10+10+1+5+7: 6 successes

More than enough to return

WP: 7/8 QP: 34/50

The feel and sight and sound and taste of the sheer impact of her family’s attack on the Motherhunters, all amplified by her blisteringly wide-open senses, gave the young metamorph a few accelerated heartbeats of pause, digesting the sensations slamming into her cerebral cortex. The anger roared higher on the heady mix of success and victory as the orphans and their guardian vanished in a burst of black light. She had known, in her head, that she wasn’t helpless against a Baseline Motherhunter, that they could win battles if not wars on their own, but… In her heart of hearts she hadn’t believed, not until now, not until she had one of them entangled in her barbed flesh whip and bullets *crawled by* like turtles.

No More Motherhunters. No more Project Protesus killing us in our wombs or in our homes for the sin of existing.’ she broadcast over the mental net to all her siblings, message tinged with anger and joy and peripheral input as she struck again at her first target and seemingly dropped him in a spray of blood, a follow up cutting down the woman with the radio in one swing before she had time for more than a few words. And then there was only the one baseline left and Coraline blurred towards him erratically, death on two feet grinning a ghastly exaltation if he had eyes fast enough to make out her blood-splashed features.

Click to reveal..
[envoy] 8:02 am: Okay, three parts, attack on first victim, attack on voxcaster lady, and then a dodge roll.

[envoy] 8:03 am: first five dice are mega, boosted by rapid strike to hit

envoy *rolls* 16d10: 5+4+7+1+8+7+4+5+9+7+2+9+7+8+5+8: 96

envoy *rolls* 7d10: 4+5+8+6+1+8+3: 35

[envoy] 8:06 am: two lethal damage

[envoy] 8:07 am: second attack on vox caster, also using Rapid strike, megas first...

envoy *rolls* 15d10: 9+10+10+3+5+2+6+10+3+4+10+7+4+2+6: 91

[envoy] 8:11 am: okay, five more dice first attack, thank god you're here krull...

envoy *rolls* 5d10: 2+10+7+5+8: 32

[Jeremy] 8:12 am: so five lethal total, first attack     

[envoy] 8:12 am: so that makes 5 lethal total on first victim, dammage to second victim with radio

envoy *rolls* 12d10: 9+9+10+4+4+10+7+9+2+4+10+9: 87

[Jeremy] 8:13 am:                    

[envoy] 8:13 am: eight, I think...

[Jeremy] 8:13 am: yes 8!

[envoy] 8:13 am: aaand dodge roll.

[envoy] 8:14 am: first five are mega.

envoy *rolls* 13d10: 7+4+1+7+3+10+1+1+7+7+8+10+9: 75

[Krul] 8:14 am: ok.. death to both of the baseline humans..

[Krul] 8:14 am: only one left

[envoy] 8:15 am: ten for my dodge roll?

[Krul] 8:16 am: yes, though you get to roll again on the 10s.. if your dex quality fits your action

Mai had killed before. Tuna, deer, all sorts of game. Things she could bring back home to break up the monotany of the cuisine they all usually ate.

This was the first time she had killed something she thought of as sentient, let alone the first time she'd killed another nova. Standing there shrouded in mist, her clothing more memory than reality, and the blood of another nova spattered across her perfectly tan body, She looked like an Amazonian Goddess, No smile curled her lips, merely a thin expressionless line, and she looked for another but found there were none to take down.

The moment had passed, and she drew herself to her full height. "Dammit. That wasn't a bad shirt."

Those who were paying attention her her mental state could see a walling off occurring, as she set aside the elation of victory, and the almost primal thrill derived from it all. Worst of all, and hidden the deepest, the kernel of pleasure at killing someone who would so betray their kind as to hunt children.

What came to the fore, enough the obscure all this was a trait she was known for, that her name promised.

Are the children alright, and did they see ANY of that? Her voice not-quite boomed across the link.

"And does someone happen to know where I can get a long shirt at least, what I've got left isn't decent, I'd prefer the kids not see me like this."

To Oz, Butch mentally said, Thanks for the assist.

Butch felt his bioenergy do more than just twist his opponent's. It was as if it tore up and shredded every cell in the nova's body in a few seconds. The flesh disintegrated, and then the bones rotted, too. Maia's target was little more than meat paste on a wall. Cora had shredded two baselines in seconds. And Marina's fog made the area downright eerie. Truly a horrifying scene for the casual observer. However, Butch had been toughened by years on the run living on the streets on his own after his father died. Butch had killed novas before in self-defense, and previously wondered if he'd be able to handle killing someone who hadn't attacked him directly first. The danger to the children, the thought of them being hunted and pursued the way he had been, made Butch especially able to handle what he had just done.

He hoped his siblings would be able to handle it though. Cora's mental proclamation disturbed Butch for a moment. While he shared in her excitement, Butch found her thoughts to be veering too close to bloodlust. Payback was satisfying, but losing yourself to rage was too dangerous.

There was one hunter left madly firing bullets at Cora, who dodged faster than average eyes could process. She hadn't been hit yet it seemed.

Over the network he said, Let's finish this fight and get out of here. One hunter left, but there could be more on the way. Mai, you get my t-shirt and jacket when we're through.

Epiphany sat up sharply at Cora's words along the link. More than anything, the tone of her statement made Pip sure that the other group was fighting. Bitting off an explicative, Epiphany lets power hum through the network, not knowing what the others might need, but wanting to err on the side of caution.

Click to reveal..
Spending 3 Quantum to activate Ability Network:

This particular technique allows any in the link to share abilities with anyone else, in essence, allowing the abilities of anyone in the the network to become the abilities of the network as a whole. This is a maintenance effect, that costs the Nova with this power 3 quantum to activate, and it only allows ability use, but the number of dots may never exceed the number of dots in this power. In essence, if one person has 4 dots of academics, and the Mistress of the Psychic Network only has 3 dots in Psychic Network, only three dots can be shared

Epiphany has 5 dots of Psychic Network

There were times when having inhuman perception wasn’t the best of things, for Oz this was one of them.

He felt gravities grip on the hunter disappear first as the man melted under Butch’s touch. He had continued to move towards the others and the smell was the next to hit him, blood from the other dead and whatever the hell that smell was that came from the disintegrated pile at Butch’s feet. He just managed to stop himself from throwing up somehow.

They were heroes swooping in to save the day., but for some reason it didn’t feel so heroic to him now. He had intentionally held the man in place for Butch’s attack knowing it could mean the mans death, and that was the right thing to do the man was hunting children after all. But some how no matter how right it was it still didn’t feel right, what would his dad the great doctor think of him now?

Cora’s bloodlust coming over the link brought back his sick feeling. There was only one baseline left now which meant all of Cora’s hate would be directed at him.

Oz found himself nearly throwing another gravity well Cora’s way to stop anymore bloodshed but the sound of gun shots made him realise how idiotic that would have been. He had just nearly tried to immobilise his sister in front of a man with a gun. He dragged his hands through his hair as he tried to clear his head.

‘Come-on-guys-lets-retreat-we-are-finished-right? Darrik-will-have-got-the-kids-ther.. theres-no-need-to-just-slaughter-that-last-one---right? Lets-just-go-back.’

The excitement had ended and now he just wanted to be back on the island inside the complexes walls where everything would be back to normal.

There was only one of the baseline humans still moving as the nova's slowly came to a halt.. the sound of gunfire as he fired at cora was audible to all of them, but other then that, silence had fallen upon the area, there was shouting and fear in the voices in the village, and the fog had grown thick as soup, it was hard for anyone with normal vision to see more then a foot in front of them... though the nova's could find each other's posistion though the psychic network that connected them..

As as few seconds continued to tick forward, the shredded remains of the clothing that Maia had been wearing fell away, leaving her in naught but her birthday suit. A lovely view, for any of the boys willing to take a peek, or anyone who might see her in the fog, but fortunately, the fog covered her well..

Cora could quite easily dodge and bring the matter with that last baseline opponent to a close, if she chose too, or not, as Oz suggested... even as his perceptions could quite easily pierce though the fog.

Marina continued to remain still, her power over water and by extension, the weather having given them all of the cover they needed to carry out this task.

Butch remained the one least affected by the events, though Oz's mind remained stable, it was clear that he was very disturbed by the events of the moment...

Over the network, Butch responded: Sorry, Oz. We can't have anyone telling tales about us. Keep it together. Find us a secure place to wait for pick up if you need to look away. If not, try and protect us from the bullets. Marina, keep the fog up as much as you can. Maia, either hit the last hunter in your birthday suit or help Oz find us a safe place to wait. Cora and I will handle the hunter. When that's done, we call for a ride.

Butch felt comfortable directing things in the field. He knew he was able to keep it together and could think quickly, but he still hoped his plans were solid. So far they seemed to be working out, but he would be dedicating more of his time to studying strategy and tactics. Still, the battle was almost at an end. Darrik got the children out of there, and Butch hoped they made it back to the island safe and sound. All of the hunters were dead except for one baseline, who they would deal with and then return home.

He fixed the hunter with a multi-faceted stare. Butch's body was softly glowing as it did sometimes when he used his powers. This time he would steal the life from the hunter unless his siblings were quicker as they sometimes were. Perhaps this time it would be less gruesome than what he had just done to the hunter. Then again, perhaps not...

'Sorry, Alex. Talk latter,' she messaged to the supergenius via the psychic network, 'Ask Darrik after he shuttles us back.'

Coraline didn't need much more encouragement than Butch's statement, her grin getting just that much more evil as she closed the gap to the hapless Motherhunter, one of the eight foot tall, fire-breathing monsters from her nightmares made into nothing more than a target by the light of day and eight years of growth and family. One, two, three blurred the fleshwhip at the man, barbed edges already dripping with the blood of his fellows as the nightmarish metamorph acted to ensure that Proteus would have to work just that much easier to tie her and her siblings to this intervention, the fear for the greater war very much alive beneath her exaltation and joy.

Click to reveal..
Okay, Three part Action: Attack, Attack, Attack!

To hit roll one, first five mega, with Rapid Strike bonus

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012394/ Seven Successes to hit

Damage Roll one

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012397/ Four lethal damage if I hit

To hit roll two, first five mega with Rapid Strike bonus

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012398/ Five Successes to hit

Damage Roll two

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012400/ One lethal damage if I hit

To hit roll three, first five mega with Rapid Strike bonus

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012403/ 12 Successes to hit

Damage roll two with five presumed over successes

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012407/ Two lethal damage if I hit

Quantum pool at 34, full health levels

Darrik had sent off his psychic message to the siblings at home, and then giving quick excuses to the guests eating in the kitchen, he vanished again. Visions of the brutality swept through his head, warring with the actions of Proteus- he still felt as if it was bloody overkill somehow.

This disrupted his path until he furiously focused and cut through the fog to the scene of battle, appearing out of nowhere in front of his siblings. "I'm glad you were happy to achieve this..." tone sounding like he was chatting with sadists.

"Time to go home now." The shadows rolled over everyone and then they were back in the island caves, near the showers. Darrik was starting to look tired from quantum expenditures. "Are you happy for what you've done?"

Click to reveal..

Shadow Stepping:

Trip One

Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 6+5+5+4+10+4+7+4+4+10: 3 sux - 200 km

Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 10+4+6+3+7+5+10+1+6+3: 3 sux - 200 km

Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 5+10+1+3+10+6+7+6+7+9 5 sux - 2000 km.

Charging everyone and Trip Two:

Jeremy *rolls* 10d10: 1+10+8+10+10+6+4+4+8+7: 6 sux - More than enough.

WP: 7/8 QP: 22/50

Standing next to the showers, the shadows having brought them here, Cora and Maia were splashed in blood, which for Maia was all that she was wearing, but her foster siblings were use to the fact that when she unleashed her full strength, this happened.. Cora was still flushed and excited, and Butch, having disintegrated his opponent, didn't show any sign of the blood on him.. Marina and Oz also were similarly untouched, they hadn't been in the heart of the battle, having worked from more of a distance.

Coraline took a few deep breaths to shroud her senses to just a little bit more than the humanly possible and shed her obvious and not not so obvious modifications in a shimmer of quantum.

"Yes, actually, Darrik. I rather am," she replied with a satisfied little smile, still high on adrenilein and quantum as she hugged herself to recover herself a little bit more, "As far back as I can remember, I was taught and believed that Motherhunters were eight-foot tall monsters that shot death out of their eyes and would swoop down on me and all those I loved if I didn't do everything possible to keep quiet and hidden every second of every minute of every day. That they were invulnerable and infalliable and that if we dared to stand our ground against them for the smallest thing we'd end up just like my parents, like all our parents and all those other Novas who tried to resist them."

Her chorus of voices fractured out of synch, barely intelligable as her part of the link flared with raw excitement, "But I was wrong! They're just Baselines and Baseline Slaves! They can be beaten, and *we* beat them even if in only just one battle. It's... It's... I mean, I knew in my head that I was but... Amazing!!!"

Coraline, splattered with blood and grinning like a ten-year old on a sugar high, all but squeed where she stood, dancing from foot to foot.

Oz was happy to see the familiar walls again. He was about to turn to Darrik to thank him for getting them out of there, but he quickly looked away again at his brothers words.

As she spoke he wondered if he was supposed to feel like Cora, ecstatic at slaughtering those who had for all he knew killed his parents but he still couldn’t find it in himself. Trying to think what his parents would have done didn’t help either, his mother would have probably ripped the hunters apart like Cora while his farther he liked to think would have shared his doubts.

“Then why does it feel like we were the eight foot death shooting monsters…” His speech seemed to come out at a normal pace for once as his remorse made each word heavier. “I need a drink.” He said trying to think about nothing other then the kettle but only ended up leaning against a near by wall instead.

"Be proud that we saved the children as we set out to do,and their protector, but not of the methods we used." Maia's voice lacked all her usual cheer. They'd all witnessed her kill things before, but the first sentient being, a fellow nova no less had led her to close off her mind. Not breaking her part of the link, but walling off her emotions and thoughts regarding what had happened.

She had been the first to react. The blood of both novas, and the baselines, t was on her as she'd lead the charge. Sure they all took part but she felt the responsibility rest upon her.

"We've drawn their attention now."

With that she set off to the showers, looking to wash away the blood still on her, and she idly removed the thin strands of clothing she'd been wearing, tossing them in the garbage.

"Are you happy for what you've done?" The freakin' nerve...

He wanted to lash out at Darrik's snotty question, but Butch held his tongue. When Cora responded, Butch smirked a bit. His sister was covered in gore and reveling in the slaughter of her enemies. He remembered watching "Conan the Barbarian" with his dad one time when they had a crappy old television in the office of an abandoned garage somewhere in west Texas. God, Johnny Hellfire loved Arnold movies... Butch got a kick out of Conan when he answered that Mongol's question early in the movie. How did it go? What is best in life? And Conan answers, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." Cora made him think of that quote. It was still a bit scary to see the young metamorph like that though.

Butch was more worried about Oz though. He didn't seem to be handling it all too well. Butch made his way over to him and leaned up against the wall next to him. He exhaled.

"Oz, I'm going to say hi to the kids. It might do you some good to come meet them, see what we're fighting for. We can take them to the kitchen at least and get that drink. At the very least we can get them out of Alex's hair before she has a fit." He put his hand on Oz's shoulder. "Join me if you want. If not, come find me later and we can talk about what happened out there."

With that he made his way to Alex's lab. Over the network he said to her: On my way Alex. I'll get them out of your hair in a minute.

Archived