Aberrant: 200X - New Opportunities

Austin Lange

Austin Lange sat back impatiently. He loved his job, but he hated the paperwork. His secretary handled a great deal for him, and he was greatful for the way she handled most things. His erruption had made him more than normal, and unfortunately done some irrepairable damage to some of his firendships.

Friendly competition wasn't fun anymore, because even toning himself down, everyone knew he was holding back.

Now he'd found another nova with marine based powers, and invited her over to see if she could help with things. His own Boss, Admiral James McKenna, gave him alot of lattitude, and if he could hire on another nova to help with the Agency's workload so much the better. There was still much humans don't know about the ocean's depths, and having someone else who could go all the way down without aid would be an impressive boon.

Besides, it was a chance to meet another nova, one that didn't seem to be some stuck up celebrity. He said that full well knowing his own history. "I never said I wasn't hypocritical at times."

Down at the docks, one of the agency vehicles waited. He'd already handled things, smoothing the way with customs, though if she stayed, he'd have to talk to Abe at immigration.

Off at the horizon line, and closing fast, DeepWater's driver notices on a phosphorescent streak, skirting along the surface. He sees it stop in place at 10 miles out at one of the coast guard marker bouys. Deepwater himself gets a ring on his phone.

"DeepWater... This is Bridget. Permission to come aboard?" She happily chirps, calling him before closing the distance after getting into range of a cell tower.

Deepwater smiles. "Of course, I invited you myself, didn't I?"

"Alright, I'll be heading to the truck... now." She hangs up and stuffs her ViaPad back in her backpack. Everything Supercav wears becomes streamlined with a clear eufiber "oversuit", wrapping around the backpack and enclosing it. All that is exposed is her face. She then goes full throttle at 1000 kph. Breaking the sound barrier in a split moment. When she slows back down near the piers, she's still moving at 50 miles an hour and launches herself like a dolphin, breaching the surface. She lands on her feet at the docks, water scattering around her.

When she straightens out, for a moment it's not clear how she could move like that wearing a red, slightly bulky 275N life vest, helmet, surface drysuit, and a large hard-shell backpack, until it's obvious from the shine of the oversuit how she managed to keep everything organized. She could attune, but she wanted to take no chances.

She pulls up her goggles and walks over to the driver that's waiting for her.

"Hello. Bridget Awbrey. Sometimes known as SuperCav... which... is probably obvious from the streak I left behind me." She says politely, holding her hand out for a greeting. But noting the driver's business only demeanor, she awkwardly brings her hand back in. "Right... sorry..." She says, as she allows her eufiber oversuit shed whatever water is left on her before getting in.

"Let's go." She says after sitting down and buckling in. "I hope he doesn't mind me wearing this in the office." she says, patting her clothes.

The driver gruffly nods.

"Good... can't wait to see him." She says, beaming a grin from ear to ear.

The driver brought her to a six story glass building. The color of ocean water, it housed perhaps the most advanced Marine technologies and research facility in any nation. Rumors abound of underwater stations and such, but without the tech to get there, tech that was reliable all the time, those were dreams.

NAMA, the National Aquatic and Marine Agency was a branch of the government dedicated to the the waters that covered some seventy-five percent of the world, and hid undtold secrets and wealth beneath its murky depths. The building housing it was cylindrical, and was meant to look almost like a giant aquarium, though it was one that you couldn't see into.

Bridget was shown inside, past the friendly reception desk and taken to the top floor. There were a dozen offices there, but Only the one in the Northernmost sector was important for them. She was shown in, and Austin rose from his desk, drawing himself to his impressive 6'8" height.

"Miss Awbry, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Austin Lange, Special Projects Director for NAMA, though you know me by another name, Deepwater. I trust your trip was uneventful?"

"Sceneic, actually. Stayed along the gulf stream for the most part and saw all sorts of wildlife before getting here."

She straightens herself out before offering her hand in a handshake. "Needless to say I actually figured some things out along the way getting here. But after formalities, you mind I stop in the little girl's room to change into something a little less... eye scorchingly yellow and red? Not that I need the safety equipment. It's just a bonus incase I ever have to dorm down mid-trip and it helps me to be visible... So it still has a purpose."

"Thank you." SuperCav says, walking into the bathroom with her backpack in hand. She shuts the door ant talks as she gets her clothing changed. "So... I wager you've been the head of this organization for a while? What do you specialize in exactly?"

"I'm betting this will be far beyond just being on call all the time for a rescue... at a certain point I might actually get things out for search and rescue work."

In a couple moments later she steps out with her backpack, wearing a flat dark blue with white trim eufiber bodysuit, carefully arranged in line and cut to be modest. She still wears the vest which in her opinion is to add some color. "There we go... Just incase we plan on getting started with any projects."

She smiles, walking over to a nearby seat at DeepWater's desk.

"About four years now yes. Initially I was brought on as a military consultant. Currently I oversee projects that go beyond our normal exploration ones. I test new equipment, and go where others cannot."

"Sometimes people get in trouble and we can't reach them quickly. If you sign on, you'll help remedy that."

He nodded when she emerged.

"I've done alot over the years, surviving when I shouldn't. The last time I wouldn't have, and I errupted. Things haven't been the same around here since then."

She nods. "Search and rescue is my middle name... well actually it's Anne, but um... I think you get what I mean." She says with a blush, more nervous than anything.

"I've just not been used to my fullest potential just being on call in the RNLI and even then I was mostly public relations after my eruption. I was a good rescuer, bar none, but after my eruption my speed became more of a hinderance."

She reaches into her backpack and pulls out her viapad. "I had talked with Sakurako and even though I'm not an engineer I and her managed to brainstorm a couple quick ideas before coming here. Perhaps you and your organization can make it a reality, and also make my job easier for the most part on the rescue side of the equation."

"I'd love to work with your organization. The ideas becoming real is just the icing on the cake."

He smiled, this was going better than he'd hoped. "Well the company her father runs does excellent work. I prefer to buy American when I can, but more than anything I'd rather keep my people safe. The Admiral agrees."

"We don't really do search and rescue, though on more than one occasion we have. Your primary function with us will be shuttling resources around, both on the surface and beneath it. I will do my best to keep you from having to deal with the press, and you'd be paid well for your services."

"At the moment we have ninety oceanworthy ships on the Seas, and five more being refit with a new type of engine."

"You won't be making quite the same difference in lives that you did before, but trust me, it's anything but boring. I've logged more trips flying around the globe than most people, in locations I'd never dreamed I'd visit."

"We can look at the designs, and i'll have one of our engineers look at it to see if it's viable."

He chuckled. "We do get days off, and vacation and such, but I have little luck with them."

She adjusts herself in her seat.

"Really... sounds exiting actually. Although having someone who can and is able to rescue human and even some nova assets can save the organization alot. Although I'm not averse to being a courier as well.

Making my powers a money maker? I'd jump on that in an instant. My RNLI work was strictly volunteer only."

She looks up at the cieling. "I wouldn't trade those days, but... let's just say it was just a foundation."

"As for world transit, well, I made the trans-atlantic trip easily... although flying would be a good thing if there's any land-based assets anywhere.

This intrigues me to no end, Mr. Lange."

"You had me on hello."

He nodded. "We have unrestricted access to any nautical lab in the states, or that operates under a US mandate. Assignment to the labs in Hawaii is something that's fought over quite competitively."

"We make good money for government wageslaves, and that's balanced by our people being among the best. we do more with less."

"Austin works fine, only people outside the building call me Mr. Lange."

Bridget nods. "Fair enough, Austin."

She sits back. "Just gotta know when my first day is. Also... I'll probably need a place to crash until I get enough for a security deposit on a flat."

She smiles. "To be honest I'm used to living a spartan lifestyle. Just give me a mattress, a OpNet connection and enough for food and drink and I'm happy. Anything extra is just put away."

"Then again, I'm probably the only Nova you've seen whose currently homeless. I'm serious when I say this is all I got in my backpack and on me. I put everything I saved into getting here and it'll take a little while to re-stabilize. Life changes are like that I guess."

He didn't really think before he spoke. "Then you can stay at my place. There's plenty of room."

He stopped. "Okay, what I mean to say is that there are several unused rooms at my home, and until you get your own, you're more than welcome to one of them."

"Your first day will probably be tomorrow, or the day after, depending on when the Admiral is available."

"Excellent. Won't need anything big. Just enough room to set up a air bed and a power strip. For now at least."

She smiles. "I'll have you know I'm a adequate cook as well, so don't be suprised if once in a while you smell a good breakfast cooking."

"Now that's something I like to hear."

It all seemed too good, but with the way things had been, he figured he was due a good turn.

"Well there's nothing major going on today, I can introduce you to a couple people who you'll be working with, and then show you where you'll be staying."

SuperCav stands up, smiling, wondering just how buch she's going to be diving into with Austin. "Excellent. I'm the type that likes to jump in feet first right away."

"Hopefully you won't feel like I'm imposing while I stay at your place. After all, you're my boss, not my roommate." She says with a sigh. "And thanks... for everything. It's all sudden and stuff, but you seem like the honest type. Outside of any classified stuff I wager you do have to deal with." She says with a wink.

• 2 weeks later...

That night was fairly quiet, mostly Austin allowed her her space to get accustomed to his home. The next day he took her back to the office, and showed her to what would be hers, when she was there.

They made the rounds meeting the department heads, and in some instances, people with on real title, but real talents.

The end of the tour was followed by lunch at a little cafe near the National Mall. "So what do you think so far?"

"Well... quite the extensive team. Although I think your manpower could use some expansion at some point."

She straightens her eufiber buisness attire, actually feeling happy for once she's not in a wetsuit or the like. "Seeing the underwater training facility was a special treat. Seeing it used by the Navy for training for submarine escapes was an interesting to say the least."

She nibbles on her fish fillet, grilled to perfection, but not necessarily her favorite type of fish. Then again, she's eaten raw on a couple occasions. As in still wriggling...

"What interests me most is the guy who's like a quartermaster in your little team. Jim I believe he's named? Yeah, Jim. Hes... a bit eccentric." She giggles. "I like his geeky flair though. His love for things Doctor Who amused me. I think we'll get along."

"Now your dive instructor there, Bernice... She's a ball-buster. Seriously. I can understand wanting your trainees to know EXACTLY how to use a SCUBA rig, but still... Former UDT or not... You attract flies with honey."

"Fawlwell... British... sounds like a professor and head in the water instead of the clouds. I think he wishes he lived in some glass dome on the bottom somewhere. BUT when you need advice on the latest building materials and engineering he's pretty savvy. I think he was impressed by Sakurako's notes as well. His daughter's a cute one. Interesting how the apple doesn't fall from the tree... kid's a sharp one as well."

"As I told you, I have an excellent staff. Each excels in their chosen fields, and together we have little of the clunky beauracracy that stifles most agencies."

He smiled. "One of the best things of course, is that I can trust all of them. We've all gone out on missions before, and saved each other's lives. That bond brings the whole thing together. Some don't go out anymore, but their support has been invaluable."

"Indeed." She says eating an American facsimile of fish and chips... which usually translates as a fish fillet and french fries. Although well done, the flavor reminds her of the pubs back home.

"I think your team gels together as well because if it's diversity. Not to mention there is a lot of them who in my opinion have enough ethics and morals to back each other when they're up to their necks in it, or worse.

That and having the bureaucracy wisely divided amongst your staff always seems like a good idea."

She sits back in her seat. "I think I'm going to like it here. Hopefully this turns out to be a bigger success with me on the team."

"Well... I'm a child of the sea really. I like fishing, swimming, waterskiing... Although I like to read from time to time and I'm not adverse to some culture once in a while. And for a guilty pleasure I sometimes like to go to a gun range."

She says, blushing as she takes a drink. "I was the tomboy of the family, to be honest."

"Nothing wrong with that at all."

He smiled. "You didn't have much time before, but I can show you the gun collection I have. It was something my dad loved, and instilled a love for them in me."

"Fishing, the outdoors in general, all things I enjoy as well. I'm not a man who likes to sit indoors behind a desk."

"You know... I think we'll get along just fine."

She smiles, sippping her guiness slowly... "I just wonder what my main tasks would be when I start work. At least for the next few weeks."

She leans back in her seat. "I wager having another nova that doesnt' need to breathe dry air is a good thing." She says with a smile.

"You will be shuttling equipment to various sites around the world. Aside from that, We have some projects that until now only I could feasibly do, and you will be working with me on these, so we can acquire the data we need quickly and correctly without the extreme expense we would have to have to do it without novas."

He smiled. "Of course, you will have days off like anyone else, and what you choose to do with them is your decision."

• 4 weeks later...

"Sounds like I fit in just swimmingly then!" Bridget says, smiling knowing her pun.

"Although most of the time I might just be doing home things. Cooking, cleaning, maybe getting some fish for dinner. Nothing of real consequence."

Archived