Aberrant RPG - New Extra disscussion: Hidden

z-Carver

I had the idea for an interesting new extra that I'd like to submit for use on the site. First, I'd like to gather thoughts and opinions on the suggested extra. I'd also like to see if someone can think of something else that already exists in the game, is approved for this site, that would do the same thing as the extra I've tentatively called "Hidden."

Hidden

Just as some novas are able to "sense" what powers other novas possess, so are some novas able to hide a power from these senses.

System:

Buying this extra on a power cloaks it from being detected by the Quantum Attunement enhancement. This does not protect the power from being detected by alternate means, such as seeing the power being used or hearing a second-hand account of the power being used.

Thoughts? Discussions? Questions? I can't decide if making it immune to the 3rd level power Quantum Imprint will make it too powerful.

Hmm... I'm not a mechanics freak, but it does sound like a neat idea. I'm not sure, though, if it would be worth buying the extra just to avoid someone maybe finding it with Quantum Attunement. You might consider making it a "surrepetitious" adjustment to the power instead (something like coincidental effects in Mage, if you've ever played it), and/or have them choose what aspect of the power would be hidden or obscured when it's purchased; visual, auditory, quantum expenditure, etc. Is that still in keeping with what you had in mind?

I do think making it immune to Quantum Imprint would be a bit much, though, as the impression I've gotten is that once someone's in your signature that's pretty much it.

My two cents, considering I seem to be the only one who uses Quantum Imprint around here with White Rat away serving our fine country.

"Hidden" could give either 3 extra dice to roll in an opposed roll, or 3 automatic successes in an opposed roll (similiar to Cat Footed and a host of other extras) to hide your signature from Quantum Attunement.

As for the immunity part. Using an extra to mask your signature from a level 3 power is a bit exsessive, even a level 2 power (Quantum Vampire, QIs evil little brother)

It should make you more steathly as far as a masking your quantum self, but for 5 exp and making one power of yours immune to a level 3 power is a bit much.

Once someone's in your signature, that's pretty much it. I think that's why when your using QI or QV your dice pools are so much lower, to reflect someone trying to go around, stealing everyone's power and instantly using it like they've been doing it for years.

That make any sense?

Hey, just because Hugin and I don't use it a lot less than you it doesn't mean we don't care. :P

I've been struggling with this one for a few days and I'm inclined to come down on the side of "no" when it comes to the extra stopping Quantum Imprint.

However, an analogy that could be made is comparing the Armor Piercing extra with the Impervious extra. A nova with Impervious is protected from the special effect of another nova's attack that's Armor Piercing, which would be similar to a nova having the Hidden extra being protected from another nova's Quantum Imprint (or Vampire) attack.

But on the other hand, Armor Piercing is only an extra, not a complete power, and the attack could still do damage (albeit not as much as it would against a squishier target) whereas Hidden would be stopping the use of a power. That's what worries me: an extra trumping an entire power without a roll involved.

Ok, that jives with what I was thinking personally (the Quantum Imprint was suggested by someone else). So, with that said, so you see a power imbalance issue with letting an extra render an enhancement useless, in the case of one power?

That's what I'm really hoping to get feedback on, now that we've resolved the QI thoughts.

Hello all, new here.

Was browsing around and ended here smile

If I may I'll add my thoughts on the current topic (I do have a way of droping uninvited in a conversation).

I've always believed that hiding quantum signature was near impossible, or at least that's what I deduced from game mechanics even thought I don't think it was ever explicitly mentioned as such.

The only effective way I've seen of masking a signature is dormancy. Even powers like quantum supremacy don't allow the use of a power without its tagged sig (I don't think so anyway).

So having an extra do that wouldn't fit my understanding of the non written conventions between that Aberrant universe and my own twisted psyche.

But since I think the idea is neat, and considering that it's only in relation to a single power I'd allow a mechanic akin to what was suggested by Revenant. Maybe more along the line of Psychic shield ; 2 automatic success per power level to resist detection by quantum attunement and fiscal agents.

yay :P

Archived