Aberrant RPG - How to "Shake things up".

Sakurako Hino

Not having been around I'm not certain what a "normal" level of activity is like. Is the current level considered a funeral dirge? And have you considered the possibility of an interaction that was less... over the top and of a more serious vein?

<font face="Times New Roman" size="5" color="#BC47ED">W</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="2"><font color="#D673FF">idget,</font><font face="Comic Sans MS" size="1">

Speaking of Unifed Theory and trouble, you ever read Distress by Greg Egan? excellent book as are all of his. Contains a theory of everything in that, don't wanna spoil the book, but it contains the idea of the theory of everything having a profound influence on the rest of the universe. It's also contains anti science protestors that could fit into stories, 'Say no to TOE!' Mind you that particular story would probably be more useful for Mage rather than Aberrant.

PaY $5,000,000 InTO WalKERS amPwell FUnd or THE Anime GIrL gets it !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
PaY $5,000,000 InTO WalKERS amPwell FUnd or THE Anime GIrL gets it !!!
...Man...

I really shouldn't have put up that option... :P

:roll eyes:

As for the restof your post, I have not had the chance to even hold any book that's not either a manga or RPG rulebook recently. :P

I need culture... BAD.

Well if you call science fiction culture then I'd recommend Greg Egan. Paul J Mccauly's Fairyland books are top of the list in my mind too. The faries in this case being genetically engineered baboons that have been released from a life of slavery by liberationists. If you wanna get ideas for nanotechnology and genetic engineering the Fairyland books are crammed full of them.

For real culture try the theatre or a museum, seriously.

How about figuring out how to defend the interests of the people of an entire country from the ramifications of Endeavor's decision to use them as a resource base in a game played against other novas?

wink

<font face="Times New Roman" size="5" color="#BC47ED">W</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="2"><font color="#D673FF">idget,</font><font face="Comic Sans MS" size="1">

I thought you understood! eek

Even though its a little out of character I've been trying to offer as much insight as I dared into the game with those posts on Endeavor's old thread to anyone that asked. Except for the questions that would really define how much of the world is due to the actions of a "Sphinx". Those questions are handled strictly in private since some of them are touchy areas especially in an environment like this.

Things like... why there are rules against nuclear devices being used in play and what the out of play area in Calcutta is. Or more importantly why it's considered "restricted".

smile

I'm more than happy to explain any generality in public though.

Please do.

Endeavor is thinking this is some sort of Hacker game. What you expect. She dosen't say it in her history (or background) but she's a hacker. A very old school hacker. She thinks along those lines.

Just tell me what the parameters are of the "game" you intend to play. She was trying to ask on the thread, but your character's talk was beyond the player's capabilities. (You do speak legalese quite well by the way.)

I'm glad you'll take me by the hand and show me what's up. Endeavor'd figure it out, but I cannot. I'm not that sharp.

That goes for me too. Avatar may have mega-manetal abilities, but I sure as heck don't. I've gathered that this is a really warped, multi-player chess game using the various world governments, corporations and organizations of importance as the playing pieces (Hey, I did read the online brainwaves supplement and I caught the "Sphinxes" refrence), but just how it all fits together elludes this player. Could you shoot me over as much info as you can on your little game?

Ouch.

Endeavor has stepped into something. Okay, let's start small and work up from there.

This is a "real world" game taking place within the Aberrant world among the hyper intelligent novas that choose to play. One of the assumptions is that a nova who demonstrated the raw ability to play, mega-intellect, would be contacted and sponsored by an existing member of the game. In this case Widget is Endeavor's sponsor and may sponsor others as well. Raw talent isn't sufficient to play the game though so another assumptions is that even a brilliant mind, one augmented by quantum, may not be of the right mind set to play the game and will only last a "round" or discrete play session.

Of those that possess the proper mindset... In simple terms they are playing chess against multiple opponents with the world as pieces to be moved, captured, sacrificed, etc. Advance preparations beyond marshalling your resources is of limited value as the "goal" changes from round to round. A round can be as little as a month or as long as a year for this level.

There are multiple levels of the game though you would never know it unless invited in and sponsored by a member of that increasingly rarified strata. You could play for years thinking you'd reached the top only to be invited into a higher and correspondingly difficult level you never knew existed. Senior gamers, members of the quorum, play somewhat more subtle and far reaching games that may last decades or longer. Prodigy and Ashnod, as the characters were explained to me by Jack Chance's player would probably be senior members of the quorum if they chose to play.

Some questions that are not answered are;

- Who are the Sphinxes?

A matter to be decided by the individual nova.

- Who started the game?

Someone who has been playing longer than you have.

- Why do novas play?

Some must play simply to be who they are. They would play games with the world whether there was a structure in place or not. For others it is an opportunity to challenge themselves. For still others it is the chance to compete against, and be appreciated by, the only peers they have.

- Why a formal agreement aka Covenant?

To use an extreme example; somebody out there is crazy enough to attempt generation of a black hole on the planetary surface just to prove they can do it. As impressive as that is it spoils the real estate value of the planet so the Covenant limits the collateral damage and keeps the game playable.

- Do the "Principles" run the world?

That's like saying Utopia, Proteus, the Masons or the gnomes of Zurich run the world. Principles influence events, the more subtle the influence the greater the prestige accorded them. An (extreme) example; teleporting in and dumping a barrel of radioactive waste into a city's water supply would insure you would never be invited into another round.

Influencing a Priest in Mozambique in a manner that eventually caused someone to dump a barrel of waste into a water supply on the other side of the world five months later with no causal chain linking the tragedy to an outside influence (you) would accrue prestige if it furthered your attempt to reach the goal.

- Can you get out of the game?

Maybe when you die. wink

Heh.

You can stop playing but the game goes on.

- What constitutes a "resource"?

Anything. Everything. The Boy Scouts of American, a Proteus Operative (never use that word in public if you want to be invited back), a contract with Devries, a country, a patent, an idea, influence with Utopia or... your mind.

You don't want to find out what happens when someone seizes your resources and proves majority control. The stakes are high.

Added note:

Avatar, you posted while I was writing this up but I think this give you a decent lead in. Brainwaves and the Sphinx reference are good but a better one might be to read World Wide Phase I where it talks about the presidential race and the (almost random) involvement of one sphinx. Just remember when it talks about Portman's theories, it's talking about Sphinxes from the perspective of someone that is not and will probably never be one.

You'd get some argument from Synapse, Kuwasha (sic?) and probably Technokat on that one.

wink

It's a valid point though I'll have to check with my quorum liaison to see if it's been claimed yet. Which doesn't mean Endeavor couldn't try and wrest control from the current Principle.

Quote:
Originally posted by Widget:
You'd get some argument from Synapse, Kuwasha (sic?) and probably Technokat on that one.

wink

It's a valid point though I'll have to check with my quorum liaison to see if it's been claimed yet. Which doesn't mean Endeavor couldn't try and wrest control from the current Principle.

Well, if there's no claim, she claims it.

No switchies once you're registered. You don't want the quorum to think you're indecisive or flighty do you?

wink

You could lay claim to both though. Nothing prevents it. The problem you'll run into is being able to establish and prove "majority control". Losing a resource base you're not prepared to defend is not a good thing, remember?

Added note: nothing prevents it except another principle having previously registered a claim validated by quorum. And when we talk about losing all of your resources we're talking about all of them, not just a factory here or a contract there. When you're striving to win youre putting it all on the line. As for the opnet, not saying that anyone has claimed it as I still have to check.

Just remember that there are penalties if you lose resources and you're playing against more than one person with a vested interest in not only winning but proving they can enforce the win.

Not everyone "loses" in a given round and more than one Principle can triumph through alliance with other Principles. But there are cases where some Principles lose by losing their resource and being unable to establish a new one within the constraints of the round.

To win all you have to be prepared to lose all. Or be very ingenious in your contingency plans. wink

Good night for now.

Aw...!

What about adventure? Shaking things up? Come out and play with us...

Maybe next time. smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Widget:
Aw...!

What about adventure? Shaking things up? Come out and play with us...

Maybe next time. smile

I would have played. But, this is too advanced for me. I have other ways to have fun, and I'm just waiting for a bus to get moving on something I'm involved in here.

No problems and in the campaign we tried to keep it in the background except for some blue booking on the part of the mega-int players.

Conspiracy theories can such fun! smile

Hey now!

:hug:

Not every character has a rationale to get on a soapbox or into the lime light in every topic or plot. To paraphrase something Widget said of her strategy to Covenant "in some rounds I'm nothing more than a neutral party. Not worth taking on but not able to advance towards the goal either."

We run our characters as we've defined them including the times that they just wouldn't have anything to say. Or when all they would say is something nasty about one character or supportive of another. Like when Widget condescended to Sandy but was nice about Agnelli. Besides we all have what a friend of mine calls "A blond moment."

wink

I did try to give Endeavor something in Widget's comment about Endeavor's mother (who I got a brief on from the same friend of "blond moment fame). Widget doesn't know or care that much about Endeavor's personal life but some people will notice she used a present tense rather than past tense when speaking of the woman. That may be simple ignorance at play but mega-intellects like to play all sorts of games to achieve their ends.

smile

I have also been thinking about that. I have been thinking of a potential shocker that at one time I thought was corny... But seeing what Endeavor's mother was into before her "death", may have gotten to her head a little too far. It just depends on if I actually want to pull this card out of my head. I don't even want to mention what I want to pull for the potential ramifications of MY credibility on the boards. But, this idea may make a nice little side story, with a shocker at the end.

One idea would be to ask someone else on the board to play the part of Mom while you continue to play the part of Endeavor. That way even within the constraints of a "plot" or story arc there are surprises, twists and characterizations that makes it interesting to read as two divergent minds go at it.

The reason I add the last is that I finally got to some of the old threads where Endeavor was "interacting" with her mother or Debugger or... I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical but they read like Endeavor talking to her self. It seems forced.

Added note;

The above assumes you aren't actually playing Endeavor as having personality issues and that there really are other people involved in the story. There's a certain sense of detachment required to play a mind game on someone.

A protagonist or "villain" doesn't set the stage for the "hero" to stand up and announce their grand monologue. It isn't about punching a hole in a steel plate while the timer on the bomb ticks off seconds. It's about...

... "accidentally" finding a fragment of an email from a friend that conveys a sense of disappointment.

... brakes failing and later finding the lines on the breaks ruptured. Not cut, because that is too obvious, just a small deformation that allowed the fluid to leak.

... the electricity being cut off for lack of payment when you know you paid it on time. Did someone eliminate the records of the transaction or is it a simple clerical error taking up your time with no proof either way.

... a call with a series of clicks in the background that comes in the middle of the night. The fourth or fifth time it comes the sound of a distant voice calls your name. In the voice of a dead sibling. Research finds the call came from a pay phone near the temple grounds where the body is buried.

Intellectual mind games are about making a person doubt their perceptions and beliefs. Making the friendly and comfortable seem alien and inimical. It's not about villains laughing maniacally.

Just my 2 cents.

I just thought of another way to convey it. Imagine someone like Widget out to get you when you don't even know the reason why. And that's important; not knowing the reason why.

She isn't going to leave little clues as to her identity, methods, or reasoning for you to find and have monlogues about.

Nope.

She's going to make you doubt whether someone is really your friend of simply putting up with you. Make you think the universe really is out to get a little anime girl. Make you doubt that you have any value wahtsoever other than as a commodity.

And when you're at that point is when the fun really starts.

smile

Want to know the shocker?

Do you really want to know?

I'm about to get played.

Endeavor always thinks worst case. When the players behind the curtain are only trying to help. This will lead down a long road of mistakes, and regrets. Leading to Endeavor realizing she's not anywhere near anyone's league, and never will. That's when she stops playing at being "Endeavor", and starts being "Sakurako".

If you're confused, good. I'm confused myself. This might just be some stalker trying to flush Endeavor out. :P

Or maybe... It's a friend playing a simple game. Sort of a LARP. And Endeavor is only using the board to relay messages?

Okay, what really happened is I'm bringing my friend in Tomorrow. Shawn cannot wait any longer. I gotta get his character write-up laid out in HTML for him Tonight, then tomorrow, I'm going to introduce him to the world.

I just did the last couple things in "Flows of Conciousness" and "2 Minutes Hate" as to show what happens when Endeavor gets too jumpy.

Archived