Aberrant RPG - Game Mechanics Question?

FLAGG

First off…….. Hi! Next ……. I am just starting to be a ST for Aberrant. I have played about 3 years. A member of my group wants to play a JEDI. Most of it I have worked out but……..

Question…. For the Lightsaber?

How does Claw, to represent the saber, Immolate for the damage when some one just touches it, and AGG damage due to how lethal the Lightsaber is suppose to be?

Now if all of this sounds really stupid please let me know. TIA for any help.

FLAGG

I would try Claws+Armor Piercing. Claws+Agg only does (Claws level in dice) so you just don't do much damage.

Another (better) option; make two linked powers, Claws+Agg & Claws+Armor Piercing.

I think that is a 3 point weakness, so it would cost 4 nova points to buy that and it would cost 2q to use.

I wouldn't bother with Immolate, that would do damage to anyone touching the player, and the floor he is walking on for that matter.

firstly id like to take task with smith - youre not alowwed to be smith!! lol

weve already got a smith in our gruop and hes on the run from Utopia - tho im sure that hell be glad theres another one to help him hide - lol. laugh

lightsabre eh? you could add a weaknees fro the fact that the Nova needs a mental "focus" like a hilt for the sabre...

just an idea.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucifer:
lightsabre eh? you could add a weaknees fro the fact that the Nova needs a mental "focus" like a hilt for the sabre...
Weakness no. Flaw yes. That would be a quantum flaw "Dumbo Syndrome". How large would depend on how many of his powers depend on the focus & whether it could be replaced, etc.

Although I do admit that this focus works much better as a weakness than a flaw and you could/should work something out with the ST, but the rules as written call that a flaw. ::shrug::

If you are going the focus way, you might want to just go all out and make it a gadget.

"I would try Claws+Armor Piercing. Claws+Agg only does (Claws level in dice) so you just don't do much damage."

Aggravated anything always does QUANTUM+SUCCESSES levels of damage, not power rating, so M.Dex and Q-5 can do pretty well

"Another (better) option; make two linked powers, Claws+Agg & Claws+Armor Piercing."

Why not just have Claws with A.P. and Agg

"I think that is a 3 point weakness, so it would cost 4 nova points to buy that and it would cost 2q to use."

On the contrary, according to the APG top of pg 143:

"Three points of weakness in a power let you buy one extra for three nova points, without raising the quantum level of the power"

I other words the above mentioned combination would translate to:

Claws + agg = L1 power (1np) + extra (3np) = 4np but costs 1qp to activate and is a level one power for purposes of increasing the trait with exp points.

Claws + A.P. = L2 power since the weakness points from linkage went to buying an extra for the first claws. This power costs 3np and 2qp to activate.

All totaled the is 7np for purchasing one dot in each power and 3qp to activate it every time

Claws+AGG+A.P. costs 4np and 2 qp, costs the same in activation but is cheaper at character creation and has the same effects.

But to be honest i think A.P. and Agg is a bit over the top to have on the same power. Agg slices through any armor that's not IMPERVIOUS and IMPERVIOUS armor negates the benefit of A.P. anyway. The only time it would be helpful to have them both would be against an opponent who only has the HARDBODY enhancement for soaking aggravated since that enhancement says nothing about A.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki:
Aggravated anything always does QUANTUM+SUCCESSES levels of damage, not power rating, so M.Dex and Q-5 can do pretty well
There actually is official erata to the effect that claws+agg only does level damage, just like Immolate. I think that is posted on this website and may or may not have made it into the PGG. WW really should have that posted on their own website, but that is something I have been wondering about for years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki:
Why not just have Claws with A.P. and Agg
Because of the different levels of damage. Claws+AP gets the strength add, Claws+AP+AGG doesn't.

And you have me for the costs to buy this thing, my book wasn't handy and that was off the cuff. On the whole, most people who have soaks high enough to not worry about AP also have defenses against AGG attacks, but it is kind of cool anyway. AGG damage will never heal and can eventually eat through anything.

• 5 months later...

I would only use claws w/agg/ap, and build up Dex, and Melee (Lightsaber)... then perhaps an enhancement like Master of Arms that would increase the attack pool. IN concept, the lightsaber should not rely on any type of STR to wield or do damage... but increasing the attack pool and making rely on dex allows mega dex to have effect in that regard as well.

If more agg is desired than Claws level, perhaps linking with disentrgrate with no range (unless you plan on throwing) but at the same time a Q bolt w/agg with no range could be effective.

Ya know, I'm actually now STing my girlfriend, who, oddly enough, wanted a Jedi Character.

For the moment, her Lightsaber is only Agg. She also has Quantum Leap, Domination, Mega-Manipulation, Intuition, Telekinesis... She's almost fully kitted out, really.

I was quite proud of the character...

Instead of Trying to utilize powers as a Lightsaber. Why not use the traditional manner and use the tech creation and make the young padawan make one... should be simple enough with a lil Mega Int and science electronic engineerning

Mostly because noone in my troupe has M-Int.

That, and I wanted to keep the character's "jedi-ness" personal. A lightsaber, no two ways about it, is a damn powerful thing, and to be frank, making it technological seems rather unbalancing.

That, and she has a padawan Follower. No way am I giving a baseline Padawan a lightsaber of his own...

Well since I am the one who started the thread, this is what I done. I did as Delicious suggested above. I used the whip sword and it did great for my group. They and I were pleased with the way things went. I finally got the group to think outside the box and we have moved past the "I want to be a Jedi" and now they are creating original characters. Well as origanal as can be done. I think every type of "hero" has been created and done long before now.

JMO

Well...

Since Aberrant isn't really a "Superhero" game, more a "Super Power" game, creative and original characters are quite possible. I mean, Prodigy is one of the most original Mega-Intelligence Concepts that I've seen in a while, and I'm quite proud of Sydney "Photon" Holland's Character concept in terms of originality.

Taint really can add massive amounts of originality to the equation. As you can tell, I'm a fan of Taint.

Embrace it. You know you want to laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Sandy Davis:
I am verry happy with my Sandy,and I do not see any comic book character that she is ripping off of.She is just so cute..I would love to be her..I mean who wouldn't?
Me.

Seriously.

Not only do I not care for Sadny Davis, I wouldn't really care to be Meridian or any of the other characters here. I like creating fiction and characters but I like me better.

Archived