Aberrant RPG - World Wide Phase III

Dr. Zero

So Ive been thinking of how much I like the World Wide Phase Books (1 MUCH more than 2 but 2 has the whole Ibiza story which makes up for the other 3 weaker ones)...

So any ideas of 4 new stories for a World Wide Phase III? Perhaps if enough good ideas come around, this can turn into a full fledged net book. I was thinking 2024-2030 range.

Some of the ideas I was toying with... these are by no means developed, just some brainstorming.

Eye in the Sky. A story about the global defense satelites and a system loophole that allows them to be linked, allowing one single control of most of the worlds communication and missile defense systems. The directive and proteus are two key players to exploit this. This also ties into the KEI anti-nova satelite system and, if explosed, the massive nova backlash against this... possibly including destruction of a number of these satelites.

The Enemy of my Enemy. A worst case scenario for the Teragen where, following the night of long knives, one or more of the surviving and most prominent members decides to turn tail and come over either to Utopia, Proteus or the Directive for protection and/or revenge. This nova would have to be someone with enough personal and political power to cause a great many of Mals now more solidified plans to be derailed possibly including detailed information on crysalis. With one of those organizations gaining information on how crysalis works, any number of events could occus... ways to counter-act, replicate or mutate it.

Atlantis. Almost overnight, a new island rises out of the pacific... a group of Novas declares this island off limits to anyone except invited guests... the problem is that the Novas have the backing of a number of governments because everything they are doing is by the book international law. The island is teeming with quantum wrought life, from dinosaurs to seemingly ancient civilizations. The world, and Utopia in particular, must deal with this unique and perplexing civilization.

Time after Time. Maxwell Mercers powers over time are not always perfectly in his control... enough that he has found that the future he sees is only one of any number. Experimenting with his ability, he finds not all result in the Aberrant War. Embattled on all sides by his aeon ideals warped and his utopia crumbling, Maxwell tries to venture through time backwards and forwards to try to correct the mistakes that will bring about the worst case future. Some of those futures and pasts are brought back with him, creating a whole new set of problems. This scenario would also shed some light on the different Maxwell Mercers of different eras as well as give some alternate futures to the Aberrant timeline.

I like "The Enemy of My Enemy" and "Atlantis" quite a bit. For TEoME I could see Santiago being the defector. He could have "seen" something in the future that may have convinced him, along with the NoLK's fallout, to betray Mal.

A while back I had an idea for one that would take the players into outer space. It might be too similar to "Atlantis". Members of The Daedalus League discover large quantum readings coming from the asteroid belt. After investigation they discover that a large asteroid has been hollowed out and that there is a community of a few dozen novas and hundreds, perhaps thousands, of baselines living inside. What will the world's response be?

If it's going to be WWP3, then it will probably need to take place directly after WWP2. That is, it should begin in 2115's immediate future. Also remember that the scenarios in the Worldwide books are all about important, public events. The actions of the characters taken in these scenarios will have profound impact on the future of humanity, and their actions will likely become public knowledge. And, just like in every Worldwide scenario, there should be options and choices for characters of any affiliation.

Quote:
...but 2 has the whole Ibiza story which makes up for the other 3 weaker ones
Whoa, you can't really tell me that the third story in WWP2 was weak. I actually found it to be far more important and dramatic than the Ibiza story. The Ibiza story is about rampant nova fighting on a tiny island, and the characters aren't even around when the shit first hits the fan. The third story is about 8 novas trying to take over an entire nation through brutal force and cunning intellect, and almost succeeding. IMO, the third scenario in WWP2 should have been switched with the fourth one. But anyways...

Eye in the Sky - Good idea. This scenario introduces the global defense satellite networks that will play a major role in the Aberrant War. This could also take the characters to space, which would be cool.

The Enemy of my Enemy - I love this idea. Having the secrets of Chrysalis exposed could really mess the Teragen up. The Directive, Proteus, and other organizations are already aware that Chrysalis exists but none know how it works or how to trigger it. In this scenario, the characters would have to either defend this traitor Terat (if they're Utopian, Protean, or Directive) or kill them (if they're Teragen). Elites may get hired to do either. Aberrants would have to make a choice I would think. Anyways, would this scenario revolve around a certain Terat, or would that be up to the ST?

Atlantis - Good idea as well. Any organization will want to have membership on the island, if just for the sake of keeping a watchful eye.

Time After Time - Actually I'm not too sure this would work out very well. Introducing Mercer just feels wrong to me. The same goes for time travel and alternate worlds.

I had also thought about what would make for a good WWP3 situation. I was reading through the Aberrant Player's Guide and on page 80 under the Dormancy Background there is a little story blurb on Geryon attacking some T2M characters. Apparently by 2015, Montoya-Bernal has gotten so much Taint build-up that his arms can stretch and are called "serpentine" by Geryon. I was thinking about how the world would react if Montoya-Bernal, leader of T2M-Am, were to fall to Taint. Maybe that could be a good scenario. I was planning on eventually running this kind of scenario with my players. The characters would either be trying to recruit him (Teragen, Aberrants, DeVries) or capture him (Proteus, Directive, Utopia, T2M). The characters get to him and after a few days of captivity, Montoya-Bernal escapes custody of the character's organization. He ends up going on a rampage and kills a lot of baselines and even a few novas. The characters must now eliminate Montoya-Bernal before he causes more deaths. The battle will be watched by everyone on the planet (he is a member of T2M after all). After his death, or possible capture, world opinion of Utopia and T2M will start to plummet even more. If even the most public and beloved of novas can turn into an aberration, why can't all the others?

I like that... however Im trying to keep away from the "Utopia screws up again... the world notices... nobody does anything... human - nova relations are hurt" stories. I wanted to do as many stories that leaned towards a hopeful future as did towards a bleak and black one. That isnt to say the Aberrant War isnt going to happen, but it means that some people get away or some governments decide to shelter some people or some other colonies are started... basically apart from the Trinity timeline, so that WWPIII would be strong in its own right and not just as a trinity prelude.

HOWEVER, I really like the idea of one of the most public face novas in the world becoming super tainted. Thats a good story.

I also agree with you about the third story but it simply wouldnt work, you cant just kill a bunch of people and say "now I am king" when Utopia exists. The very next week, those 8 Novas would be either a fine red spray on the knuckles of Pax or in some Q-Holding cell for crimes against humanity..

Not necessarily. I think in Dominion it mentions how DeVries doesn't stop supporting the 8 elites until they're sure they'll lose or something. If they had succeeded in taking over the Ukraine, DeVries would have been backing them up afterwards. I think Totentanz would make for a good Minister of Education. And even if it doesn't work (hopefully the players stop the elites...) it still shows that a small group of novas is capable and willing to overthrow a government.

The fourth scenarios in the first two books are pivotal events, more important that the other three. So whatever the fourth scenario is, it's supposed to be big.

Are you actually willing to make this into an e-book? I really want to help, but I'm also working on two Trinity e-books. I won't have free time to commit until late July/early August after I move. I'd like to write a scenario, if you'd be willing to let me.

I am actually interested in making it... provided I have enough feedback. A e-book and a fan-fic is only separated by degrees of general approval.

It would be refreshing to see the Aeon Universe continue onward... with maybe even a few new surprises.

That could work, thats the only book I dont have. Is it worth having?

Also, Id like WWPIII, while leading toward the Aberrant War, to still be an Aberrant book and not an Aberrant/Trinity hybrid. Same universe, VERY different genres. Its like when they put magic in the x-men comics. It has no place and is genre-breaking. You wouldnt want to see a cyborg in Lord of the Rings, would you?

Quote:
That could work, thats the only book I dont have. Is it worth having?
Actually it's probably the second most pointless Aberrant book of them all. The most pointless being Expose: Aberrants. You'd think the Aberrants would get something more than a 24-page booklet...and even then, half of the booklet was devoted to the Slider murder. To be honest, I'd rather see a full-sized Aberrant faction sourcebook than a WWP3. I'm tired of reading the names of Aberrants in various supplements (like Mestizso, Diane "Intergalactic" Holmes, Jacques Angel, and others) and not know who the hell they are. But that's for another thread I suppose!

ReignOfEvil.com presents a cult of sorts, run by a few novas (and a baseline). Their leader believes that in 2017, the bodies of all the cult leaders will merge together or something to summon a demon. The leaders themselves are interesting enough to base an adventure or a few around, but the booklet just didn't do much for me, probably because the cult itself has such a small impact on the greater scheme of things and had no relations or connections to any factions outside of itself. Although I guess that could change if the Final Night were to become a scenario. Hmmm...that might actually work in it's favor. Left unwatched and unchecked, the cult could gain tremendous strength.

I could see every faction wanting to become involved once the cult's motives become public knowledge. Utopia, T2M, Proteus, and the Directive have every reason to want to shut a demon-worshiping nova-led cult down. The Teragen may be interested in turning some of the Dormitori (leaders) or their followers to their side. The Aberrants wouldn't want this cult muddying up public perceptions of novas. Elites, like with any scenario, could get paid to interfere. And if it was made into a scenario in WWP3, most of the actual descriptions and explanations of the cult itself would already exist in the ReignOfEvil.com booklet, therefor leaving more page space to fill in with plot and such.

Quote:
Also, Id like WWPIII, while leading toward the Aberrant War, to still be an Aberrant book and not an Aberrant/Trinity hybrid.
My sentiments exactly.

There's no reason to throw in psiads just yet, since the Aberrant War still hasn't started. We just have to make sure that events described in Trinity that are supposed to happen in the past actually do happen, but thats a given with any Aberrant book.

Obviously if we go with the island nation in the Atlantis scenario, it won't be something that is still around by Trinity; we'd have heard of it if it was. It may have a major impact in the Nova Age, but it's existence would be buried by Aeon by 2120 the same way the attempted takeover of the Ukraine was. How (and why) it disappears would be up to the ST I would think. There are all kinds of major things in the world of the Nova Age that somehow disappear by the Psion Age. The terraforming in Ethiopia and the Sahara, the Addis Arcology, the zushima macrobe, and other stuff. Not everything added has to be a nod to Trinity.

Though, a little forshadowing is always nice...

Quote:
Its like when they put magic in the x-men comics.
I never understood that. It's one of the reasons I stayed away from Excalibur. I love Nightcrawler, but still...

Quote:
You wouldnt want to see a cyborg in Lord of the Rings, would you?
Actually...that would be awesome.

Haha ok fair enough about the cyborg, but it wouldnt fit the genre... hehe

Perhaps in WWPIII we could elaborate on some of the hinted at plots... maybe instead of inventing all new scenarios, we could just take some of the unfinished setup and finally apply it using canon personalities.

Also, Atlantis could easily sink when the Nova(s) sustaining it were destroyed or stopped maintaining it.

I think that we need to keep The Enemy of my Enemy, since it's just a great idea. I can see The Mathemetician coming forward.

Eye in the Sky will probably need to include something else besides just the weapon satellites (lest it become a bit boring), like maybe include that group of spacefaring novas from the APG. Maybe make some hints at space colonization. And of course, there are many novas that would dislike the satelites and want to perform attacks.

Hmmm...maybe one of the scenarios could include something about Exploding Heavenly Mandate, China's massive nova team. Maybe not as the focus of the story, but as some kind of extra flavor to a scenario. They've only barely been touched upon. Or, maybe focus a scenario on them. One (or several!) of the novas from EHM wants to defect to the characters' organization. Now the characters have to somehow get them out of China. Every scenario in the book should have dramatic themes. In this one, the themes would be duty vs desire, personal resposibility, loyalty, conviction, and liberation. Of course there would need to be a wrench thrown into the gears to make it interesting. Maybe Nippontai somehow becomes involved. Maybe China temporarily declares war on the characters' organization (forshadowing the Ultimatum). Maybe the rest of EHM tracks the characters down to kill the defectors.

Another scenario idea could revolve around Bahrain and the Children. Or about how novas are leaving Utopia left and right. Or the novas in the Antartic.

And if we really wanted to be brave, we could make the fourth scenario about the creation of The Colony. Kraig Blackwelder (sp?) said that he strongly hinted at vampiric Eufiber (or all Eufiber? I can't recall) becoming The Colony. What if that event happens? Some kind of event triggers this to happen. Maybe Buendia commands Eufiber to take over various novas. Maybe an outside group like the Directive or Proteus accidentally (or purposefully) triggers it. Maybe one of the novas wearing Eufiber falls to a Taint of 10 and his specific powers somehow trigger it. I like this last idea. At a Taint of 10, the nova/aberrant's body nearly collapses into a pile of goo and then he dies, and the vampiric Eufiber starts feeding off the excess Quantum to the point of "assimilating" his body in order to feed. This Eufiber colony has evolved beyond what it once was and starts tracking down other vampiric (or normal) Eufiber suits to convert; once it makes physical contact with a suit it can trigger the same result in that suit, whether the nova wearing it is alive or not. Any nova wearing a Eufiber suit would be scared out of their minds.

A bit crazy, and maybe premature. I'm just putting it out there. I'm sure many will argue that the identity of The Colony should be left open.

I still like the idea of one Earth's most respected and trusted novas becoming Taint-mad and turning against humanity though.

The Colony is the "big bad" from Trinity. Although Pax and Mal are listed among the Trinity eras "Prime Threat Abberants", the only one who is in any way active in the ongoing story is the Colony.

It's not explicit what his/her/it's powers are but among them is the ability to inject Taint (Quantum) into baselines. Some of those (few maybe 5-10%) erupt and become Abberants, children of the Colony if you will. The remainder become some sort of mutated taint ridden sub-abberant, more powerful than a baseline but ultimately just a shock troop for the Abberants waging war on earth.

Wow Dr. Zero, I guess you've never even read any Trinity books before. The Colony controls about 90% of all Aberrants; thats what all quantum-users are called by 2120, with the exception of the Eden novas. He and his Aberrants are trying to reclaim Earth, and do so by attacking extrasolar colonies (mainly Khantze Lu Ge) and intrasolar colonies (mostly Mars). The origin of The Colony was purposefully left open for the ST to decide, but apparently Blackwelder says that Eufiber becomes The Colony.

Two ways that I can imagine Eufiber becoming The Colony.

1. Proteus or The Directive in a excercise to place more controls on Nova's accidently creates a type of Eufiber that is self-aware and has a strong survival instinct.

2. Buendia falls to taint and the eufiber she begins producing is as taint ridden as she is.

Personally, I think The Directive would be the more interesting story, if only for the irony.

The Colony is really a great villian because the ST has so much free reign. We don't even know the full extent of it's powers. It could even be a product of Homunculus or clone powers. We don't even know if it is able to assume a single body or if it has become a gestalt being entirely.

Besides Whitley and Mercer I don't think anyone from Adventure! or Aberrant is still active. However, I only have three Trinity books so I could be wrong about this.

It's assumed that Mal and his crew took off to a universe that he made. According to the PLayer's Guide Pax is considered a Prime Threat by Aeon so he might have gone off the deep end. Anyone have more info on this?

Max and Whitley aren't really mentioned directly but in the color setting sections there are correspondances between the two of them. Pax is probably gone bonkers and if considered one of the big threats. Mal pretty much never returned.

I would reccomend trinity at least for the setting material in the core book. Very good stuff.

Well Pax has never actually appeared in any Trinity books. He could have been a Prime level threat during the Aberrant War and they've decided to keep his threat level where it is in case he returns.

In Asia Ascendant (the last Trinity book) it is revealed that Divis Mal is the one that started the Nova Age. He himself created the wave of energy that swept through Earth and caused baselines to start erupting. This was revealed out of character.

Also in AsAs, it is revealed that Nippon (Japan) has been hiding it's own novas since during the Aberrant War. After the Ultimatum and all known aberrants/novas leave Earth, these novas stay behind in secret. They build a warpgate to another planet that Nippon secretly starts to colonize. They also erect a quantum barrier around the Solar System to keep aberrants out. Then, aberrants attack the solar system and end up killing most of the Nippon novas. The quantum barrier falls and the aberrants start attacking Earth. By this time, all aberrants are so twisted that the people of Earth think they're aliens. Also, the only novas smart enough to keep the gateway working die, so the Nippon colony is stranded alone. Nippon has been keeping it's mouth shut all this time. It's too scared that it will get blasted into nothingness if it is revealed they're working with novas.

There really isn't much to say by way of actual novas. None of the public or popular novas from the Nova Age really have any impact.

Mungu "Backlash" Kuwasha, the nova that joins ViaSoft in the Aberrant Storyteller's Guide, ends up destroying the OpNet. He goes Taint mad and attacks Synapse of the Teragen (this is explained somewhere in the Teragen book).

Another important nova is Wycoff, who is hinted at by The Apothecary in the Teragen book. Wycoff ends up exploding in the American heartland, and his energies go out in a wave. Those energies render farmland infertile and send America into a tailspin.

Beyond those two (and the fear of Divis Mal returning) there are no other specific novas mentioned in Trinity that appear in the Aberrant books. Caestus Pax, Maxx Mauler, Overkill, and maybe a few others are mentioned, but not as still being around. Most of the original Nova Age novas are assumed to have died or something. First generation novas/aberrnats are considered rare.

It is said in Trinity that the Colony doesn't become known until the Aberrant War. He's also said to be an enemy to Divis Mal. So maybe a Colony scenario should wait until an Aberrant War book ^^;

I think that there's a Nova called "Poseidan" who floods Florida with a giant tidal wave by accident. It's only mentioned in a blurb in the Timeline to my knowledge

Quote:
2058: a special task force reorganizes the North American political structure into eight overarching governing districts; Felice "Poseidon" Taylor floods the Florida peninsula, and tidal waves completely wipe out Cuba and the Bahamas; Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama unite in the Mayan League
That is from the Eon Online timeline

Doesn't "The Feathered Serpent," A terat mentioned in the Teregen book also try to raise an ancient Aztec/Mayan/whatever city from right under Mexico city? I can't remember if this is in the timeline or not.

Oh crap, those are right! The whole Florida thing is explained in 2 pages in America Offline. Poseiden was actually a sane nova, not a twisted aberrant. She was trying to solve some kind of weather problem in the gulf area, but accidentally sent waves over Florida. She was killed by the tidal waves.

And Feathered Serpent's earthquake ends up killing a million people I think.

Oh, and a group called Allah's Legion (I think) takes over Bahrain. When China makes the Ultimatum, the Bahrain novas defy tyhem, and as a result Bahrain is blasted away by fusion warheads. In the Trinity maps, there's a huge circle of ocean where Bahrain used to be, even cutting into the nearby peninsula. There a few small island left, but not much. I'm sure the takeover of the island has something to do with the Rashoud facility there...

And then there's the Space Brigade that takes over the moon, but ends up not killing anyone.

Hmm...there are more references than I first thought ^^ But still, no references to novas we're actually familiar with from the Nova Age.

I doubt The Protectors become the Eden novas. The Edenites are explained in Stellar Frontier and the name of the person that founded their group is different than the Sebring guy that started The Protectors.

Oh, and I just remembered. In the background for the Chromatic aliens in one of the books, it mentions the group of Aberrants that are attacking the planet. I think it mentions somewhere that the group destroyed Aspen, Colorado.

Its interesting that the developers for the game lines didn't communicate in order to have the game line match up more closely. One would think that we would have some more information on Pax during the Aberrant war and that groups mentioned in the trinity books would be fleshed out in Aberrant. Not only to tie up percieved loose ends but to flesh out the history of the continum.

Do we know of any Trinity era Aberrants who are active in that games meta, that are mentioned in detail in the Aberrant books?

The other big mistake they made was doing the line backwards. They started with the "end" of the timeline and moved back through the eras which, in my opinion, only served to straight-jacket the creativity of the design teams of those later books.

By the time Aberrant came out, we already knew that Utopia was a big failure and the whole world went to hell in a handbasket. To have the game go any other way meant emediately going "non-cannon." IMHO this was a serious design flaw.

I think that was the whole point of starting with Trinity and moving backwards. By the time I got Aberrant the game I had played through all of the Darkness Revealed stuff and was pretty much paranoid and scared &*&^less by Aberrants. To then see what they started out as underlined the tragic nature of the game.

Part of the problems in the 3 Aeon Continuum games not meshing well is the same general reason that the Old WOD games didn't mesh well. Different developers for the core books.

I was on AOL explicitly to have access to the Old Developer Chats that White Wolf had on the first Monday of every month back when Trinity & Aberrant came out as well as being on the Yahoo Groups for the Aeon games. I remember Andrew Bates (Trinity Dev) and Bruce Baugh (one of the main writers) being rather upset that the development of Aberrant went in the direction it did. Apparently the original idea would have been a bit less powerful so that Aberrant Novas were comparable to, but maybe only a little more powerful than Trinity Aberrants (until obviously they gained a lot of XP). Similar things happened with the oWOD since way back when there were plans for a WOD Omnibus Edition after all 5 games had come out that would let you cross them all over easily.

Exalted with the Fat Splats being developed by the Line Dev instead of a new person and the nWOD being designed from the beginning to have easy analogues between games seems to have learned a lot from the problems that the old design philosophy created. Of course, that doesn't mean other problems didn't emerge,

Actually, writing this, I'm thinking that the main complaint that I heard about Aberrant D20 may have been semi-intentional; that being the low power level at low levels. I never bought the D20 versions, but perhaps that was a hindsight way of balancing the 3 games out somewhat.

I like playing the games backwards. You play Trinity and you're convinced Aberrants are wicked. Then you play Aberrant and novas are the good guys and Aeon is radically different. And you know exactly what's going to happen to novas and it's kind of creepy. And then you play Adventure and you get to actually meet Max Mercer, and you may even find out who Divis Mal once was.

I think the point of these games, canon-wise, is that this is the way the world will go... if there is no change...

In other words, that gives you a hundred starting points but the moment your game starts, it becomes non-canon anyhow, really...

Well not necessarily. The Trinity material barely describes what happens during the Aberrant War, and it doesn't really mention anything about the Nova Age at all. The developers leave the Aberrant War up to the ST and players and the Nova Age up to whatever happens in the Aberrant campaigns. There's very little forced into the storyline down the road, just one main point: almost all novas start to become Tainted and lose their humanity.

Yea but there are so many exceptions to that rule... specially with all the powers that channel/change taint and aberrations...

Granted most would go bonkers but certainly a few forward minded individuals with the right powers (Sin Eater) could do a great deal in keeping Novas sane

Archived