Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 7a: Frostbite

Justin OOC

For Siabhra, the day spent stuck in her natural form only served to reenforce her image as Queen Bitch and Ice Queen. She'd been corraled early on after being caught in an off limits section of the school, and sentenced to the Medical ward, to use what gifts she had to help those injured.

There were actually a fair number, though none too seriously injured, mostly bruises, some cuts and bite marks. Whatever crew was out there was doing a good job keeping things under control.

After some time though, the injuries worsened, culminating in Arrival of a large snow white wolf, carrying a litter with three younger nekojin, two girls and a boy. They were covered in frost, and frostbite had already looked to be at work.

"I need medical assistance now, or these three will not make it." The guttural voice of Kiba, one of the Seniors, and perhaps the most powerful of the school's remaining hengeyokai, wasn't of someone used to being ignored, and his bright yellow eyes zeroed in on Siabhra, imploring her to help these much younger students.

He himself was also covered in Frost, thick snow and even some ice hung and melted from his fur. Clearly something was very amiss outside.

Siahra's wings twitched and she sighed. She was tired and people kept doing stupid things and she kept having the clean up the mess. She wasn't some low-born pixie, for the Wyld's sake! She briefly considered healing just Kiba and leaving the others because that's what his words actually asked for, but she knew she was in enough trouble already.

"Put them down over there," she pointed imperiously over to a bed sized for ogres and giants in the student body. She piled up the pillows behind the nekojin so they were sitting up, then tipped their heads back so each would drink from her san'graal as she tipped it against their lips. The ice was melting and soaking the bed, but that wasn't her problem. As the fairy draughts worked their way through their systems the blue patches of skin warmed back up to healthy skin colors. The three curled around each other, still wet and shivering but no longer dying, nuzzling for warmth as they recovered.

She eyed Kiba, "Do you want me to pour for you, or a bowl?" The words could easily be taken as offensive, but the elder monster could see the strain and exhaustion the sidhe girl was suffering. It was also true that given his present form, those were the two options. "Also, you're making a puddle. I'm not cleaning it up."

Siabhra's Current Form
fairy15.jpg

Kiba shook his head. "No, thank you, Siabhra." He spoke to her as an equal, something alpha wolves like himself were not wont to do. "My fur is much thicker, and protects me from most of the bite of the cold. What it doesn't heals on its own."

He looked at her, his bright yellow eyes unmistakeably predatory still. "I wouldn't dream of asking you to clean the mess." He grabbed a few blankets in his mouth and drug them to cover the three still chilled nekojin, and growled. "We have a larger problem, though, that I hope you can help me with."

There was no mistake that he wasn't really "Asking" but it was urgent enough that the normally laid back alpha was letting it show. "There's a group of students who are causing the mother of all blizzards outside, and threatening the safety of the school, and all within it. The environmental protections seem to be malfunctioning, or just offline. If it persists too much longer, the freeze will spread throughout the whole campus. The faculty is pushed past the breaking point, and I can't find the usual suspects I'd enlist to help me."

"I need your help to shut down the ones responsible, I might get others, but of those I could potentially call upon, only you can I trust not to kill anyone in a fit of beastial fury and rage. You are far too intelligent to fall to such primal impulses, and I believe, you have no fear of the cold."

"Does it get me out of hospital duty?"

Kiba gave off a huff that could have been annoyed or just him warming up and nodded. "Yes. We must go now."

She stretched, tucked her san'graal into the holder on her belt, and flexed her wings. "Anything to get me out of here. And I'm in the mood to do something violent." She gave Kiba a sharp and feral grin, "To the right people, of course."

The blast of cold outside the infirmary made Kiba shiver even under his thick fur coat, but slip of a fairy next to him in her diaphanous violet dress didn't so much as pop goosebumps. "So, who are we hunting, and why are they making a heart of winter out of the campus?"

He growled. "At least two air elementals, and Three Yuki-onna. One of them is powerful enough to manage this on her own, the other two are to make it permanent. I don't know what the hell happened, but something's driven her insane The elementals are going to be the biggest issue, for me, I don't fly."

He sighed. "I can probably handle the other three, but it might get messy."

"Eri's the ringleader, and she's alot stronger than last time. My thoughts are that the other two yuki-onna are on one building, she's on the admin building, and the air elementals are somewhere also."

He grunted. "Any thoughts on how to take them all down without killing them, and without help?"

"I can think of two ways." Her eyes scanned the buildings, keeping a wary eye out for immediate danger. "First, we take them one by one. You hold them down and I will make a draught for them that will allow me to control them." She gave him a sideways glance, curious if he would agree to that arrangement, but offered up the second option before he could say yea or nay. "Second, you be a distraction while I take down the feadhna," she motioned to admin building, "and her followers will be easier to round up and put somewhere less annoying."

"The first option is safer for everyone, the second is more direct and possibly quicker." She shrugged, not much caring which way the Alpha wished to proceed, though curious as to what it might be like to have Eris and her minions as servants for the week. She moued when she remembered that the Academy wouldn't let her keep them, at least not after things got settled back properly again.

He looked at her. "You know us wolves, straight for the throat, tear out the heart and the rest withers and dies."

He nodded. "Appealing as it would be to not risk injury, I'm willing to get hurt to stop this madness."

He looked up to the admin building and motioned for her to follow him. "I know a secret way to the roof, One only a handful who aren't faculty know of. I will ask though, that you too, do not reveal it to any others."

It was clearly a "senior" secret, and something important.

"I will keep your secret, within reason," Siabhra replied solemnly. She was not one to give complete promises unless absolutely necessary; it was a courtesy on her part, as things could get complicated among those that didn't take their troth as seriously as they should.

"Lead the way, Kiba. I will follow, but more safely." She quickly removed her cup and then her dress, wrapping the san'graal in the silken cloth and then burried both in the snow against the wall of the infirmary. Even as she packed down her impromptu hiding place, she was already breaking down, butterflies pulling out of her wings and her body until she was completely transformed into the féileacáiba. They flocked around him, easily keeping up with the great wolf and ready now for battle.

He growled, her scent now all around him, and continued. He led her to a secret stairwell, one hidden in an alcove, accessible only with a certain rune, scratched lightly in the ice. Then entire building was rimed with ice. The stairway was long, far moreso than it should be, and led directly to the roof.

It was far worse than Kiba thought, all five were present there, the twin elementals, ones he didn't know, and the Yuki-onna Shira, and Mizuha. Their attention was fully on the wolf and cloud of butterflies. only the beautiful White-winged Yuki Onna, Errilyn looked out over the school, summoning up an endless blizzard.

"You should leave, lest you freeze Kiba. This school these monsters, they have to pay."

Siabhra exploded from around Kiba even before Errilyn even finished speaking. The wave of purple flew over the rooftop, splitting into two great masses spinning and weaving in the currents around the elementals. For a moment, the butterflies seemed to be buffered and dizzied away from them - then the thousands of insects pulling all together, centering on each elemental and ripping at them with razor-sharp wings. The violence was beautiful, a dance of white, black and purple against the fury of the snowstorm.

Siabhra reveled in her power over the other students for a moment, but she'd given Kiba her word. A leanansidhe - any sidhe - was nothing without the bond of their word.

The butteflies receded back, leaving the twins battered and sliced but still alive. Through thousands of eyes she watched the roof now, to see if Kiba had kept his word.

• 3 weeks later...

Kiba had exploded into motion, bringing down the two younger snow maidens with minimal effort. Still his coat was heavy with ice by the time he got to Eri.

"You really think you can stop me just by taking them down?"

He snarled, and lunged at her, even as she formed a blade, and stabbed him through his deep canine chest, drawing a yelp from him, even as his bulk slammed into her knocking her off the roof.

They plummetted to the ground, the impact breaking four ribs for Kiba and dislocating his right legs. Still the impact even cushioned by Kiba, knocked her out cold. Kiba was still quite conscious, and really, only the deep snow could be thanked for that.

The swarm of butterflies paused at the edge of the roof. Siabhra debated. Healing Kiba might be implied in their arrangement, but it hadn't been stated. He was, however, concious and a powerful student at the school. Not healing him could have uncomfortable repercussions for her. The swarm spilled over the edge of the building and quickly gathered around the spot where she'd buried her cup in the snow. Naked and entirely unconcerned with the cold or the supposed impropriety, she pulled the cup back out, quickly unwrapped her dress from it and slipped the fabric back over her shoulders. Properly settled, she headed back to the snowbank where the wolf and his prey were tangled up.

She knelt next to him, gently but firmly moving his muzzle so she could pour a healing draught down his throat. "Drink," she said, "for I am not carrying you back to the infirmary."

Kiba drank and felt his wounds knit, starting with the worst. "wouldn't dream of asking you to. The others will be unable to keep this effect up. We need to get Eri to one of the detention rooms, at least there she won't be able to cause further trouble."

Once he felt healed enough to move he rose, then grabbed Eri's collar in his mouth and began dragging her to the detention rooms. Once he engaged the room's systems, he looked up to Siabhra and nodded. "Thank you, for your help and healing me. Not that you care, but it's improved my opinion of you alot."

His tone was sincere, and to him at least she'd helped everyone.

Archived