Aberrant RPG - Expanded rules for Chrysalis

Wanderer

While rummaging around in my Aberrant archive for different reasons, I found this old piece I had written years ago to expand and round up Chrysalis rules, in order to bring them up to speed with all published material and plug some obvious rule holes (it always felt rather implausible to me that Chrysalis wouldn't allow to change physical Aberrations, since Teras is all about mastering one's evolution). I had also intended to tackle the other obvious flaws of canon Chrysalis system, but I basically forgot about ever finishing it.

EXPANDED RULES FOR CHRYSALIS

The main benefit of Chrysalis is a significant enhancement in a nova's ability to manipulate quantum. In game terms, the player trades points of Chrysalis for experience points, which he can spend in several unique or especially efficient ways, allowing him to transform his character. Undergoing the Chrysalis grants only a limited number of experience points, so the player will want to pool experience before entering to optimise the efficiency of Chrysalis. The player can spend experience points in the following ways:

Reduce Taint (1/5/10 points)

When a nova undergoes the Chrysalis, the player can spend experience points to reduce temporary or permanent Taint. A reduction of Taint represents the Terat's greater subconscious control of his quantum abilities, which allows him to stave off the madness that occurs at 10 permanent Taint.

Eliminating one point of temporary Taint costs one experience point, while eliminating a dot of permanent Taint costs 10 experience points. Multiple points of temporary or permanent Taint may be eliminated during the same Chrysalis. Permanent Taint from high Quantum or Node ratings can be eliminated as well. A point of permanent Taint may be eliminated in a less expensive way if part of the Taint is channelled in a new Aberration: one point of permanent Taint may be eliminated this way at the cost of 5 experience points and a new low-level Aberration of the player's choice. Multiple permanent Taint points may be eliminated in a combined effort: a –2 reduction of permanent Taint would cost 20 experience points, two low-level or one medium–level Aberrations. One high-level aberration equals two medium-level or four low-level ones. Reducing Taint does not eliminate aberrations or reduce the social penalty for dealing with baselines, however. Terats can stave off madness, but remain alienated from baseline humanity.

Alter Mental Aberrations (5/10/20 points)

Terats tend to accumulate a lot of aberrations, something they do not see as inherently bad. Mental aberrations can be very destructive, however, preventing a Terat from interacting even with his evolutionary peers. The Chrysalis allows Terats to suppress these dangerous aberrations at the cost of other physical transformations or oddities of their quantum powers.

The player can spend 5 experience points to replace a mental aberration with a mental, physical, or quantum one of the same or higher level, or a greater number of less-severe aberrations, chosen by the player. One medium level aberration equals two low-level ones and a high-level aberration equals two medium-level or four low-level ones. Substituting a mental aberration with a single mental, physical, or quantum one of the immediately lower level costs 10 experience points, or 20 points if a high-level mental aberration is substituted with a low-level mental, physical, or quantum one. Several aberrations can be altered this way. Multiple low-level or medium-level mental aberrations may be substituted with a mental, physical or quantum aberration of greater severity. With the Storyteller's permission, the Chrysalis may also be used to swap mental Flaws with mental, physical, or quantum aberrations or Flaws, using the conversion rate described in APG, if the Flaw conceivably represents an aberration taken as a Flaw.

Alter Physical or Quantum Aberrations (5/10/20 points)

Terats do not view aberrations as a necessarily bad thing: to them, many aberrations are a tangible manifestation of their ongoing evolutionary process. Sometimes, however, certain physical transformations or quantum oddities may be harmful to the Terat, or destructive to interactions with fellow novas, or inappropriate to the personal evolutionary path of the character. The Chrysalis allows Terats to suppress unacceptable aberrations at the cost of other physical transformations or oddities of their quantum powers. The growing control of the nova on his quantum-manipulation abilities allows the character to substitute unwanted aberrations that are the expression of his subconscious with others that are more in line with his conscious ideal self-image.

In game terms, the player can exchange a physical or quantum aberration – typically a manifestation of regular Taint that was chosen by the Storyteller - with another mental, physical, or quantum one of their choosing. The player can spend 5 experience points to replace a physical or quantum aberration with another mental, physical, or quantum one of the same or higher level, or a greater number of less-severe aberrations. One medium level aberration equals two low-level ones and a high-level aberration equals two medium-level or four low-level ones. Substituting an aberration with another one of the immediately lower level costs 10 experience points, or 20 points if a high-level aberration is substituted with a low-level one. Several aberrations can be altered this way. Multiple low-level or medium-level aberrations may be substituted with an aberration of greater severity. With the Storyteller's permission, the Chrysalis may also be used to swap physical or quantum Flaws with different mental, physical, or quantum aberrations or Flaws, using the conversion rate described in APG, if the Flaw conceivably represents an aberration taken as a Flaw.

Change Archetype

A Terat's Archetype appears to be tied to the psychological and spiritual expression of the nova's personal evolution, the focus by which the philosophy of Teras is grounded into a pattern of thought and behavior. As any other deeply felt belief system, it is not easily or frivolously discarded. Sometimes, however, profound personal crises or great changes in a nova's outlook may prompt the Terat to change his Archetype. A Marvel, for example, may grow disillusioned with inspiring others by leadership and example and progressively shift her interest on unlocking the mysteries of nova nature – changing her Archetype to Portent. Or, the growing awareness of a probable clash between novas and baselines may move a Portent to focus on readying himself to protect the One Race in the coming battles, turning himself into a Monster. The player, with the Storyteller's approval, may change Archetype of his character during Chrysalis.

Increased Quantum Control (variable cost)

The Chrysalis allows a player to spend accumulated experience points to gain or increase various Traits tied to the direct manipulation of quantum energy. The build-up to the Chrysalis allowed the Terat to slowly alter her own behavior and outlook (in line with their Archetype) and unleash better quantum control by letting go of human fear and restraint. Less concerned about losing track of herself, the nova allows quantum to flow more freely through her node and body. The player may spend experience points on the following quantum-related Traits at reduced cost: the Quantum Trait, Quantum Pool, the Attunement, Dormancy, or Node Backgrounds, the Aberration Transfer, Chimeric Aberration, Disrupt, Node Spark, Nova Proxy, Quantum Conversion, Quantum Forgery, Quantum Imprint, Quantum Leech, Quantum Regeneration, Quantum Vampire, Quantum Awareness, or Quantum Authority powers. With the Storyteller's approval, a player might also spend experience points on the Eufiber background, or to buy or improve a Quantum Merit (2nd Gen Terat or Trog novas cannot use this to get the Taint Resistant Merit). The player may purchase several dots at once, although he must pay the cost of each dot. The character must still meet any required Quantum minimums. Quantum and Node bought during Chrysalis do not give any permanent Taint. Players cannot purchase tainted Traits during the Chrysalis.

Expand Appropriate Powers and Mega-Attributes (variable cost)

Terats alter and expand their subconscious use of Quantum by embracing one of the three Archetypes of Teras – Marvel, Monster or Portent – and the Chrysalis helps them expand Quantum abilities tied to that Archetype. Because a Marvel has shaped her own psyche with a behavior pattern of inspiration and leadership, the transformation of the Chrysalis is likely to give her abilities to better inspire and lead. Similarly, a Portent will become even more wilful and analytical and a Monster more destructive and active. Individual may also develop new powers (or expand existing ones) that reflect their new self-images reflected in their aberrations. A nova with fiery wings may develop Flight or Elemental Mastery (Fire), foe example, because they go in line with his image of himself as an angel of wrath. This process is not unique to Chrysalis, but it occurs more efficiently there. The player may spend experience points on powers and Mega-Attributes that are either tied to his character's Archetype or outgrowths of his character's aberrations.

Appropriate nova abilities for Marvels include: Social Mega-Attributes, Physical Mega-Attributes, Mega-Wits, Aberration Transfer, Animal/Plant Mastery, Armor, Bioluminescence, Biomanipulation, Bodymorph, Claws, Deflect/Redirect, Disintegration, Disorient, Domination, Elemental Anima, Elemental Authority, Elemental Mastery, Empathic Manipulation, Flight, Force Field, Gravity Control, Healing, Hypermovement, Holo, Hypnosis, Immobilize, Immolate, Immortality, Impact, Magnetic Mastery, Matter Creation, Mirage, Molecular Manipulation, Momentum Control, Neogenesis, Node Spark, Nova Proxy, Quantum Authority, Quantum Bolt, Quantum Conception, Quantum Construct, Quantum Conversion, Quantum Regeneration, Quantum Weapon, Reincarnation, Resurrection, Shapeshift, Shroud, Silence, Sizemorph (Grow), Strobe, Stun Attack, Telekinesis, Teleport, Warp, Weather Manipulation.

Appropriate nova abilities for Monsters include: Physical Mega-Attributes, Mega-Perception, Mega-Wits, Mega-Appearance, Aberration Transfer, Absorption, Armor, Biomanipulation, Body Modification, Bodymorph, Boost, Chimeric Aberration, Claws, Clone, Deflect/Redirect, Density Control, Disintegration, Elemental Anima, Elemental Authority, Elemental Mastery, Entropy Control, Flight, Force Field, Gravity Control, Healing, Hypermovement, Immobilize, Immolate, Immortality, Impact, Invisibility, Invulnerability, Luck, Magnetic Mastery, Matter Chamaleon, Matter Consumption, Matter Creation, Molecular Authority, Molecular Manipulation, Necromimicry, Neogenesis, Node Spark, Poison, Quantum Authority, Quantum Bolt, Quantum Conception, Quantum Construct, Quantum Forgery, Quantum Imprint, Quantum Leech, Quantum Regeneration, Quantum Vampire, Quantum Weapon, Reincarnation, Resurrection, Shapeshift, Sizemorph (Grow), Sizemorph (Shrink), Spatial Manipulation Stun Attack, Telekinesis, Teleport, Transmit, Warp, Weather Manipulation.

Appropriate nova abilities for Portents include: Mental Mega-Attributes, Mega-Charisma, Mega-Manipulation, Animal/Plant Mastery, Armor, Biomanipulation, Cyberkinesis, Deflect/Redirect, Disease Authority, Disimmunize, Disintegration, Disorient, Disrupt, Domination, Elemental Anima, Elemental Authority, Elemental Mastery, Empathic Manipulation, Entropy Control, ESP, Flight, Force Field, Gravity Control, Healing, Holo, Hypnosis, Immobilize, Immortality, Incorporation, Information Manipulation, Intuition, Invisibility, Luck, Magnetic Mastery, Matter Creation, Mental Blast, Mirage, Molecular Authority, Molecular Manipulation, Momentum Control, Node Spark, Poison, Premonition, Psychic Shield, Quantum Authority, Quantum Awareness, Quantum Bolt, Quantum Construct, Quantum Forgery, Quantum Imprint, Quantum Regeneration, Reanimate, Reincarnation, Resurrection, Sensory Shield, Spatial Manipulation, Strobe, Stun Attack, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Teleport, Temporal Manipulation, Transmit, Warp, Weather Manipulation.

The Storyteller can judge that other powers are appropriate, however, based on how the player has his character use them. Empathic Manipulation is not generally tied to the Monster Archetype, for example, but if a nova uses it only (or mostly) to project fear or revulsion, it becomes appropriate. The Storyteller is the final arbiter of whether a power is tied to an aberration or not (and so appropriate for increase). For existing powers, the litmus test is whether the aberration might conceivably appear as an uncontrolled manifestation of the power. A power affected by the aberrations Uncontrollable Power or Permanent Power certainly qualifies, but many others do as well. A character with a Quantum Bolt eye-blast and glowing Aberrant Eyes qualifies, as does one with Armor and Scales or Force Field and Glow. For new powers, the litmus test is whether the aberration could conceivably grant a new power. The possibilities are nearly limitless. Aberrant Eyes might develop into Domination or Mega-Appearance; Glow or Energy Emission into Force Field, Quantum Bolt or Immolate; Twisted Limbs or Sloughed Flesh into a Body Modification; Second Self into Clone or Homunculus. In no case should the new power eliminate the aberration, however – that a Terat can now send the twin growing of his chest to run errands does not make its presence any less disturbing. If the power falls within the limitations above, the experience point cost of these powers, Extras, Mega-Attributes and enhancements is reduced. Players can buy multiple dots at once, but must pay the full cost for each. They must still meet any Quantum minimums. Players cannot purchase tainted Traits during the Chrysalis. A player may not buy dots in powers tied to an Archetype or aberration that are being changed or eliminated during the current Chrysalis. Aberrations taken as Flaws may also be used to improve appropriate powers and Mega-Attributes under these rules.

This VERY, VERY good!

It is well thought out, mostly well balanced and is quite playable. Excellent! I might change a few Archetype Power choices, but not many, and I could be persuaded to simply keep them as is.

Also, in our Campaign, we found (by a simple act of curiousity) than the Husk of your Chrysalis has domant Power within. My Nova (PowerStar) got out of his first Chrysalis and noted the remains of his cocoon (Husk).

PowerStar picked up a good sized chunk and noted that it was already Attuned to him. He simply desided to spend a Quantum Energy Pool Point into the Husk shard...The explosion was (of course) harmless to him and even better-PowerStar had GAINED a NOVA POINT !!!

Dr. Zia came in, and asked if I understood what I had and what it meant. I quickly nodded and said that I'd be back. Dr. Zia smiled and ket me get to it. I got my Husk Ported with me to Neptune where I poured a LOT of my Pool Points into my Husk. All told, I got 5 NOVA POINTS , and used them well! I'll post what I recall of the system later.

I've edited the writeup to make some slight corrections and add coverage of aberrations taken as Flaws, which I had not thought of when I wrote the original version.

As I said above, originally I had also meant to make some houserule rewrite of the canon Chrysalis system, but I never got to do it. My original notes included some tentative ideas to do it, but they were left undeveloped and never playtested. I may post them here for further insight and discussion:

"Difficulty of entering Chrysalis should be normal, or +1 at the very most. Temporary Chrysalis should be gained both if a nova is very successful (e.g. a “10” is rolled on the roll), and fails spectacularly in maxing out his powers, rapid quantum recovery, use of Node Spark, etc. Insight is gained at least as much by exceptional success as by colossal failure. Permanent Chrysalis should convert in experience points at least with a x6/x8 exchange rate. Failure to enter Chrysalis should at most cause the character to lose all temporary Chrysalis and/or give some (1-3) temp Taint. Botching means the nova is unable to channel Taint into chrysalis or enter Chrysalis for a story, or a month of downtime. The character regains quantum normally during Chrysalis. Converting Taint into Chrysalis should be allowed if temporary taint is gained in a scene where most of the nova's actions and use of quantum abilities were appropriate for the Archetype; this may include the very occurrence that caused taint to occur, or not, but overall during the scene the nova's behavior must clearly characterize him/her as the chosen Archetype."

Of course, these were written years before ABA was done, so any houserule system for Chrysalis that builds on my above notes ought to adjust rules for Terat 2nd Gens as well.

Alter Mental Aberrations should state that the new aberration is one of the player's choice.

Added. Thank you for spotting this. ::smile

I *really* like the aberration swapping aspect of all this, i.e. 2 low for a medium, etc.

Well, I obviously took the idea and the exchange rate from Chimeric Aberration. I reasoned that if a Chrysalis-related power could do it on a temporary basis, then the process itself ought to do it on a permanent basis. And all the more reason why Chrysalis most definitely ought to able to alter all types of aberrations according to the player's choice.

Of course, these rules make Leviathan, Sloppy Joe, and all the Harvesters that wallow in hateful self-pity about their monstrous aberrations like pathetic crybaby losers, even according to a Teras viewpoint (and as a matter of fact, Mal tried to advise the Harvesters that they were wholly missing the point of the Monster archetype). The proper Chrysalis "cure" for their crippling hideous aberrations was always dangling before their eyes, but they were unable to notice it. As a matter of fact, this is true also according to strict canon, by developing Aberration Transfer wth Permanency during Chrysalis, but my rules just make the process much simpler and smoother.

You're welcome, and one of the reasons I like this is it both makes sense and it works with some of what we've seen.

I.e. Divis stands out as someone who has very few aberrations, but the obvious candidates are Major. If the system lets him *build* these then it explains him and it makes a lot of sense that he'd continue his "evolution" along the same lines.

You're welcome, and one of the reasons I like this is it both makes sense and it works with some of what we've seen.

I.e. Divis stands out as someone who has very few aberrations, but the obvious candidates are Major. If the system lets him *build* these then it explains him and it makes a lot of sense that he'd continue his "evolution" along the same lines.

Re: Divis...I agree 100% ! It makes perfect sense. I will be using this in MY Campaign! Thank you for cleaning up the basic Chysalis System. Also, I will be using our Husk Supplementary Rules for Chysalis as well. ::malrules::

Your mention of Mal reminds me of one thing: my rules may indeed allow to explain him better than published canon. However, in order to fully do so, it may be necessary to further expand them so that you may swap mental or physical aberrations for other mental ones of the character/player's choice. Mal indeed looks like he swapped many aberrations for a few Low-level physical ones and a few mental Medium/High-level ones during his Chrysalides. What do you think ?

Yes, agreed. When I map out what aberrations Mal has to have I get big numbers. Two minor and One medium aberration per Chrysalis (C=6 each time) adds up.

We know he's got green glowing eyes and too perfect looks. He probably also has Anima Banner: Fire. That leaves mental disorders which he partly shields himself from with taint resistance.

And I'll second what PowerStar said and add that it opens the door to some *thing* crawling out of the C which is totally different than what went in.

...and on a botch the ST does it? (Oh that's mean).

I suppose so. It seems a plausible outcome, and a fair balance to the much improved character/player control on aberration accumulation that these rules provide. As Caroline Fong may witness, Chrysalis is not a foolproof process (perhaps Shrapnel too, although it is not clear whether her Archetype change was voluntary or involuntary, it may easily be both ways from her background). ::devil

Of course, nothing stops the character and player from changing unwanted ST-given botch aberrations in the *next* Chrysalis, when it eventually comes around (or for some Terats, using Aberration Transfer to shed it)... ::wink

Re: Chrysalis botches, as I said above, when I originally wrote this, I had meant to make a thorough revision of the Chrysalis rules, beyond the expansion of Xp-spending ways, but I lost wind, although I made some notes, albeit tentative and not revised or tested. What's the opinion of you guys about the revision ideas I posted in #5 ?

If I ever run another Abberant game involving Teragen members, I'm definitely going to crib some of your stuff onto my Chrysalis system. Especially the part about combining and changing around your aberrations, because that does make a lot more sense with some of the novas.

As for Divis, I always figured he had Chimeric Aberration with an extra of Permanent Duration on it. I mean, if a wimp like Geryon can have it ... ::wink

• 2 years later...

Looking back to this system, once I discovered this site still existed, I had a second thought, and I realized that in all likelihood Mega-Attributes should best include: Physical Mega-Attributes, Mega-Appearance, Mega-Perception, and Mega-Wits, but not Mega-Intelligence.

I revised the original writeup to include the new powers published in AtNF in the lists of powers appropriate for every Archetype.

Archived