Mutants & Masterminds: The Unlikely Prophets - Issue #3: "History is a Bomb"

Charlotte

Click to reveal..

"Ah - " Spartan snarled as chains appeared out of the darkness, grabbing his limbs. With a scream that split the night, he tore one limb free, then the other, the chains dissipating into background magic. He whipped back around, glaring daggers at Hex.

"Now, I know Elizabeth Eldritch didn't have a kid. She was barren as a desert. So who're you, lady? Why're you here?"

Next UP: Necronaut. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Strongarm.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a warning look at the Warden, the Necronaut spun the ghost-plane around and sent it howling back toward the battle-proper. His eyes immediately fell on the stricken Glitch. With a flick of his wrist he urged the plane toward his fallen ally and then lifted the yoke out of its moorings and stowed it away in his coat. The plane flickered and vanished. The Necronaut hit the ground running and covered the final few feet in a split second.

He spun around and crouched in the divot left by Glitch's landing as he pulled the worm eaten stock of an archaic tommy guy out of his coat pocket. The ghostly outline of the weapon as it had once existed materialized around its earthly remains. He aimed it at Spartan.

He didn't feel anything in particular. It was like doing the dishes or sewing up a body. At the moment, Shooting Spartan was just another thing he had to take care of.

He pulled the trigger.

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..
Yeah, sorry - but that misses.

The ground in front of Spartan was torn up by spectral bullets. Spartan flinched a bit at them. He looked downfield at the Necronaut.

"You're new. Most of you are. Oh, you are going to tell me where you got super-powers. We've been trying to swell up the Knight's superpowered contingent for ages."

Next UP: Strongarm. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Jade.

„Dammit!“, Bodhie angrily grunted as she prepared herself to charge Spartan headfirst hoping to grapple him with her attack. If she could get hold of him he couldn’t make use of his speed, then her friends could take him out. At least that was her plan...

Click to reveal..

Charging Spartan using Improved Grapple,...-2. (1d20+9=20) That’s a 20 – Activating Interpose on Gloom – If Grapple is succesful than his breakfree DC is 33 and if I’m not completely wrong the Damage DC is 24.

Click to reveal..
A 20 does not hit Spartan's defense.

Spartan ducked around Strongarm's onrushing hands, and pointed his sword in her face.

"Oh, one at a time, ladies. I'll get around to you in a few seconds."

Next UP: Jade. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Spartan, then Glitch, whose stun will wear off by then.

"Oof. What the hell?" Shar--no, Jade exclaimed as she fell. Only for a moment though, as the gravity switched back to normal and Spartan's sword planted itself between her legs. Or maybe it was the other way around, she wasn't sure exactly, her eyes fixated on that wickedly sharp blade only a few inches from her face. She didn't even notice what happened to Glitch, as she wondered to herself Ohmygod, what am I doing here?!?

However, while her mind might have been stuttering nervously, her body was already reacting. As Spartan pulled his sword out of the ground, Jade arched lithely to her feet, using his blade to partially shield the motion from his view. Even as he swung his sword around to point it at Strongarm, Jade slammed her bo staff into the ground, using it as a lever to continue her upward motion, transforming her stand into a two-footed kick aimed directly at Spartan's head.

"I don't have a cape!" she snarled at him, more in bravado than anything else. It was all she could think of in the moment. Her brief surge of rage seemed to have dissipated with the sight of how close his blade had come to skewering her. Probably a good thing, some part of her observed, followed quickly by Oh grand, the voices are back.

Click to reveal..
Now that's more like it! 1d20 -> 19 + 10 = 29 to hit.

Her attack modifier is +10 unless her Focus is set to Skills & Movement. Note that with her current Focus on Enhanced Martial Arts, she has Penetration +10 and Critical Strike, in case it matters.

Click to reveal..
Spartan's Toughness Save (DC30) (1d20+14=17)

Failed by 13; Spartan is Staggered + Stunned. However, Spartan has a power that lets him regenerate from Staggered or Injured effects once a round, so he is merely Stunned.

Spartan took the hit straight to the jaw - and his jaw gave way under Jade's boot. He staggered to the side, hunched over. He spat out a wad of blood, and shoved his jaw back into place.

"That hurt. That actually hurt, you stupid bitch...!" He glared at her with burning malice, his smile wiped away. Suddenly the demigod was bloodied, and all the fun was gone.

Next UP: Glitch. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Gloom.

Gloom reached down within theirself, to the heart of the Darkness within. And the part of them that was the endless night reached out to the night beyond the bright lights displaying them to the guards. They called to it, summoned it with the greater ebony that was Darkness-

The lights went out for the group of guards who had jumped from the helicopter. They were lying on the ground, trying to remember how to breathe; now they couldn't see, either.

Click to reveal..
Darkness Control, 10 ranks, range is 100 feet.

Seeing the impenetrable darkness cover the helicopter and survivors, she turned around and took off at Spartan, a shimmering field of light enveloping her, and large luminous sabers appearing in her hands, swinging in an arc for Spartan's torso.

Click to reveal..
activating Forcefield, Light weaponry

attack + 8

(23:48:18) ChatBot: (Radiance) rolls 1d20 and gets 15.+8= 23

Damage DC 26)

Click to reveal..
Due to stun - that's a hit!

Spartan's Toughness Save (DC26) (1d20+14=18)

Failed by 8; Spartan is stunned until Radiance's next turn and suffers 1 Bruised health level.

Maybe he could have dodged. It was only the speed of light, after all. But he was rattled by Jade's kick to the jaw, and couldn't quite twist out of the way in time - the sword clipped him in the shoulder even as he tried to twist away from it. Fire licked at his epaulet as he grimaced in pain.

Then he grinned. "Well. You don't move like her. You're not her, are you? Good, that'll make this easier."

Next UP: Hex. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Necronaut.

"You talk big about murdering superheroes," Hex said as energy gathered in her right hand, "But it's been a long time. You're out of shape, aren't you? Off your game. Otherwise this would already be over."

She wasn't sure if she believed it, but it couldn't hurt to try to put some doubt into his heart. She hurled the energy at him, but its course was erratic and it wobbled around him; missing him cleanly.

Damnit, I can't guide these properly if I'm too nervous. It's like I'm reaching out my hand...

Behind Spartan's back however, the ball of power slowed, and swerved, and started moving towards him again!

(Magic Missile: A big 11 to hit, but it has one level of Homing, so it gets another roll next turn before dissipating.)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2806677/

Click to reveal..
An 11 does miss. Roll again when your next turn comes up.

"Oh, just getting warmed up, sweetie. Don't worry about that. I'm gonna love delivering that book to the big guy. And I'm gonna love torturing the location of golden-boy's vault outta you."

Next UP: Necronaut. You have until Tuesday.

The Necronaut's hands dipped into the netherworld as he reached out toward Glitch. "Hold still for just a moment. You're too close to the edge..."

Nobody else could see what the Necronaut saw, but he sounded unhappy about whatever he was looking at. He began to shove Glitch's life-force back where it belonged.

Click to reveal..
Glitch may now make a recovery check with a +9 bonus to recover from his worst damage condition.

Inwardly Bodhie was cursing herself for her lack of combat experience. She had the "equipment" but lacked the skill, at least that's how she felt when she watched Spartan easily dodge attacks she wouldn't have seen and take direct hits as if nothing happened...

But this was not the time for self-doubt - her friends depended on her and with new determination and she just couldn't fail them, she mustn't. Taking sidesteps she circled half around Spartan looking somewhat like a wrestler half bend forward, arms ready to strike, deflect or grapple. Bodhie's eyes were taking in every movement Spartan made, waiting for an opportune moment to catch him off guard and follow through with an attack.

There! He's tripping slightly. Radiance attack had left a visible effect on him and this was her chance to get within close range and hopefully get him into a hold he couldn't break.

Click to reveal..
Attack with intent to Grapple. If attack...27, 1d20+24=37) - that's 27 for my attack roll which is a crit!!! and 37 for my opposed Grapple Check. Should my attack miss, I will spent a HP for a reroll. I assume I'm hitting though at this moment.

Heropoint spent for reroll: Spending Heropoint for opposed Grapplecheck. (1d20+24=42) - that's a 42! - Damage DC is 27 Bludgeoning damage. If it was critical than it's of higher I think, but I'm not sure about that atm.

Aside from that Bodhie has Interpose active on Gloom

Click to reveal..
Spartan's Grapple check (1d20+25=39)

It's close, but Spartan escapes the grapple. If you want to spend a HP to reroll, do so before Jade posts.

EDIT: Hero point spent; Spartan is considered grappled.

Spartan's Toughness Save (DC27) (1d20+14-1=24)

Failed by 3; Spartan takes a Bruised level, taking him to -2.

"Hrrrrrghh...!" Spartan was forced down to one knee by Strongarm bearing down on him. His foot sank slightly into the earth as he strained against Strongarm's weight.

Then he slowly forced himself upward - but with a final heroic burst of effort, Strongarm shifted position, blocking his route of escape and squeezing his arms. A normal man would be pulped - Spartan wasn't. But as he grunted, Strongarm could tell that she'd hurt him.

Next UP: Jade. You have until Tuesday.

On Deck: Glitch.

Sharatur followed through with her kick to land on her feet on the other side of her bo staff. For a moment, she just stared at Spartan; she had hit him with everything she had, and she hadn't even broken his jaw! She had heard his jaw dislocate, and yet here he was, speaking again.

Still. She realized Hex must be right. "Where are your taunts now, you psychopathic bastard? Hold him steady, Strongarm. This won't take long now." She concentrated for a moment, staring fixedly into Spartan's eyes. Then she forced the heel of her hand forward in a lightning-fast blur, pushing it through the spot Spartan's nose occupied.

She risked a quick look around her at the situation, her eyes flickering from spot to spot like a hummingbird, trying to assess how much time they had before reinforcements arrived, and looking for anything else worth taking note of. However, Spartan picked that moment to struggle fiercely to escape; whatever may or may not be out there, Sharatur was too busy keeping a wary eye on him to notice it.

Click to reveal..
Attack Roll: 1d20+10 -> 27

Using my move action to take stock of the situation around me: Notice Check: 1 + 11 = 12. Heh. Shouldn't have bothered, I guess...

Click to reveal..
Spartan's Toughness Save (DC25) (1d20+14-2=19)

Failed by 6; Spartan is stunned until the start of Jade's next turn, and takes a Bruised level.

Held in place, all Spartan could do was try to roll with the palm strike. He didn't quite succeed, his head knocked to the side by Jade's blow.

Next UP: Glitch. You have until Tuesday.

The pain disappeared like it melted away, and Glitch flashed Necronaut a thankful smile. "Right, the girls seem to be doing fine so far. The alarms did go off though-" Glitch broke off his words and focused on the team's surroundings as well as what the Sensor Visor showed him in infrared vision and numbers.

Click to reveal..

Move Action for Notice Check:

1d20+8=21

Glitch has the Sensor Visor's Super-Senses: Time Sense, Direction Sense, Distance Sense and Infravision w/Tracking to aid him in figuring out where the guards are coming from and how far they might be.

At the moment, not much else that I can do.

Glitch's infravision was thrown off by the burning wreck of the helicopter, but he could see that the two men who crewed it were crawling slowly out of the darkness... away from the fighting.

There was a lot of background heat, but through it all, he could see movement in the cell blocks - he couldnt' make out specifics, but it was almost certain that prisoners were getting locked down and guards were getting armed.

The warden of the prison, for his part, was crouched where Necronaut had dropped him and wasn't moving.

Glitch also noticed, most importantly, a guard tower with two guards in it on the other side of the prison complex, well over a hundred feet away, if not two hundred. He hadn't heard any gunshots, so maybe they didn't see the group yet... or maybe they were just lining up their shots.

Next UP: Gloom. You have until Tuesday.

On Deck: Radiance/

Gloom’s training took over. Another ‘officer’ had the ‘criminal’ in her grip and it seemed to be holding. Gloom sidled up to the man’s side, latching onto his wrist just above his gun. With a grunt, she shoved her hand down, using her weight, gravity and training to try to strip the weapon out of his hand.

Click to reveal..
Disarming him, with the feat Improved Disarm.

Disarm Attack (7 base + 2 feat) +9 (1d20=7) = 16 total.

I doubt that will do it, but we'll see.

Click to reveal..
Doesn't hit his Stunned AC, I'm afraid, so that's a miss.

Spartan's grip was like a vice. The gun budged a little, but only a little - then Spartan jerked his hand to the side, out of Gloom's grip.

Next UP: Radiance. You have until Tuesday.

On Deck: Hex.

Coming up behind him, she knew she hadn't disappeared, and once again Radiance lashed out at him, hoping her blade would find purchase against him, allowing the others to disarm him.

Click to reveal..
Attack +8 Damage DC 25

(22:00:03) ChatBot: (Radiance) rolls 1d20 and gets 13. 21 total

Click to reveal..

Spartan, even in the grip of Strongarm, was able to raise his sword. His saber and Radiance's clashed, with the sound of broken glass and static. He stood firm against her blow. His smile briefly returned.

Next UP: Hex. You have until Tuesday.

On Deck: Necronaut.

As the team grapples and fights with Spartan, Hex's first magical bolt swings back in like a comet on a suicidal orbit, swerving in to meet its sun for the last time. Hex scowls, as he's a tough target even with the normally precise energy evocation. She sends out another blast, but her attempts to track the rapidly twitching, jerking mass of bodies fail, and another pale blue-white orb flashes past!

(rolls! First one is a 20 (11+9) so it MIGHT hit. Second is a clean miss.

)

(22:13:51) (SalmonMax): First, the Homing attack from last round.

(22:14:12) (SalmonMax): Attack bonus +9

(22:14:17) ChatBot: (SalmonMax) rolls 1d20 and gets 11.

(22:14:22) (SalmonMax): Bah.

(22:15:22) (SalmonMax): Okay, another magic missile. Attack bonus +9 again.

(22:15:28) ChatBot: (SalmonMax) rolls 1d20 and gets 4.

(22:15:36) (SalmonMax): lol...damn. I need summore spells.

Click to reveal..
Second roll is a miss - but, first roll IS a hit.

Spartan's Toughness Save (DC25) (1d20+14-3=21)

Failed by 4; Spartan is now Bruised -4.

As the first spinning orb went sailing past, Spartan barked out a quick laugh. "Ha, you call ME rusty? You couldnt' hit the blind side of a - "

He was cut off as the original missile orbited around and connected, smacking him across the face.

Next UP: Necronaut. You have until Friday.

There weren't any native spirits to be found on the island. Fortunately The Necronaut had managed to secure a small ghostly entourage. He singled one out and shoved the barely coherent specter into reality as he pointed out his intended target.

"That man is The Spartan. He has brought a restless end to far too many. We need you to help us bring him down. Line him up for the others."

Of course, the ghost was invisible. To the unaided eye it might have appeared that The Necronaut had elected to pause in the middle of the fight to stretch and talk to himself.

Click to reveal..
The ghost is summoned. Necro, I just realized that stats for your ghosts are not up in your profile. Could you do something about that when you get a spare moment?

"Butcher of paragons," muttered a half-formed voice in the air, as it moved towards Spartan. "Butcher of paragons, butcher butcher baker corpse maker..."

Next UP: Strongarm. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Jade.

Bodhie stared at Spartan in disbelief. She had felt so strong, so powerful and near unstoppable but now she was struggling to keep Spartan gripped. For a moment there was doubt – doubt that this was a good idea, that she could really take him. Her friends had barely touched him, he was hurt but he managed to stay in the fight. Maybe she wasn’t strong enough?

Gritting her teeth she reinforced her grip and tried to cast away her doubts. They outnumbered him, he was hurt, even bleeding so that had to mean he could be beaten. She only hoped they had enough time to pull this through...

Click to reveal..
Opposed Grapple check. Unarmed Damage DC 27 (bludgeoning) if successful. (1d20+33=52) – wow, the Dice are on my side! Check result 52!

Click to reveal..
Spartan can't beat that grapple check, so:

Spartan's Toughness Save (DC27) (1d20+14-4=24)

Failed by 3; Spartan is now Bruised -5.

Strongarm shifted for the sake of leverage, and Spartan grunted as a crack was heard somewhere inside his wrist. He shook off the worst of the disorientation that the pummelling had given him, and scowled up at Strongarm.

Next UP: Jade. You have until Tuesday.

On Deck: Spartan, then Glitch.

Click to reveal..
That doesn't hit Spartan's "Grappled" AC, so that is a miss.

Spartan's Grapple Check vs. Strongarm's Grapple Check (1d20+25=37, 1d20+33=49)

Spartan loses, so he is still held.

Spartan may use his sword as a move action, so his attack against Strongarm is Spartan's Sword Attack (Toughness Save DC29.) (1d20+14=17)

That doesn't hit, so that's his round.

Spartan managed to shake off the disorientation from Jade's open palm attack just in time, and ducked his head just enough to avoid the attack.

Spartan attempted to break free of Strongarm's grip, unsuccessfully. He did manage, however, to maneuver his sword enough to take a feeble swipe at Strongarm - an attack that still would have cut deep if she hadn't twisted his arm at the right moment.

Next UP: Glitch. You have until Tuesday.

Gloom hissed through her teeth and took another grip on his pistol hand. "Come on!" she snarled as she jammed both of her thumbs into the nerve cluster on his wrist.

To her delight, she felt the steel-like tendons start to give as she forced his hand open.

Click to reveal..
Disarm Attack (7 base + 2 feat) +9 + 1d20=20 = 29!! YES! grin *dances like Mike's Worgen*

Click to reveal..
Critical Hit to disarm; the disarm is Gloom's damage DC (+8 damage - 3 regular, 5 critical, so DC23) versus Spartan's Strength check.

Spartan's Strength Check (DC 23) (1d20+11=12)

Spartan fails; he is robbed of his gun.

The pain from Strongarm's squeeze play distracted Spartan just long enough for his grip to loosen on the gun, and that was all it took. Gloom shoved the gun out of his hand, spun it around, and was holding it.

It was heavy. It had a huge clip and barrel, and a switch on it that differentiated between "flashers" and "poppers." It was currently set to "poppers."

Spartan looked to his hand, then to Gloom. His face darkened into a scowl. "Drop it right now, missy! Nobody touches that gun but me!"

Click to reveal..
Here are the details on the gun. It fires custom ammunition and you don't know how many bullets it has left, though you can check as a move action by popping the clip out and back in. It functions as a Blast 13 weapon, and it has the Alternate Power Dazzle (Audio, Visual) 8. It also has the power feat Restricted: Only for people with superhuman Toughness. There is a pretty good chance that firing this weapon would shatter a normal person's arm; you may have to make a Toughness save if you choose to fire the weapon.

Next UP: Radiance. You have until Friday.

On Deck: Hex.

Archived