Mutants & Masterminds: StarGate Freedom - Chapter 1a: Necessary Evils

z-Servant of Ra

Ryan was a solid judge of character, and he felt in his Gut that Marty wasn't lying. Still, it was hard to swallow, and some things still had to be addressed. "You know, there's a large part of me that has every intention of drawing one of the weapons on my person and shooting you as a spy."

His gaze did not waver."That would alert anyone nearby, and draw them here to discover the source of the gunshot, which would completely compromise this mission."

"Why should I think you are what you say you are, that you aren't a spy?"

He looked at him. "You reperesent a massive security risk, both to the civilians, and to my men. So abit more explanation is decidedly in order."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marty grinned at Ryan.

"Alright, lets start with your question. The answer is simply I am a spy. Not in the sense that you think of one though, I am not a spy in the resistance but in the forces of the Goa'uld on this planet under the reign of Cronus. Let me explain how the Goa'uld work. Your legends of them are actually pretty accurate. Each pantheon has its hierarchy and rules. The pantheons mostly do not mix.

At the top of all the pantheons is the Egyptian pantheon. Many thousands of years ago that pantheon was conquered by two brothers." Marty bent down and with a stick drew two symbols in to the ground. "Ra, the older brother and the sun god, and Apophis, the serpent of the underworld and younger brother. Ra holds the power and keeps the Goa'uld pantheons in check by fear. No lone Goa'uld would ever challenge Ra, and no pantheon would ever rally against him as long as the Egyptian pantheon backs him.

Now if you want a description of the gods you mostly need to pick up old mythology books. However I will tell you of the one I know the most about, that is Baal. He is a member of what you would call the Babylonian pantheon. As far as I know he may be the only living member of the pantheon so I guess you could say he rules it."

As he spoke he drew more symbols in the ground below the two in different lines.

"So, you have the two ruling Goa'uld and the pantheon they run. Then you have two lines of powers. There is the position of your pantheon and where you are in it, and there are the powers of the system lords. A system lord is a Goa'uld who has acquired enough planets and Jaffa to be judged not just by the position of his pantheon during any one cycle. Cronus is a system lord, regardless of how much or little favor his pantheon has with Ra he is given a certain level of respect to represent his military might and holdings. Baal, the Goa'uld that hires me for jobs, is a fairly minor system lord and one that Ra greatly distrust and for good reason.

Beyond Ra and the very rare threat that rises up the Goa'uld do not have any cohesiveness. You all have a city on earth, three religions claim it as their holy city. Think of the tension between those three factions and combine them together, that is how every Goa'uld feels about every other Goa'uld. They are in a constant cold war with each other that sometimes breaks out in to real wars until the system lords, or Ra, steps in.

Baal is a opportunist, and perhaps the most sick and twisted opportunist you will ever meet. Unlike most of the other Goa'uld Baal does not let his image of being a god get in the way of his goals. Unlike most of them he employees a fair force of bounty hunters like my self so that he can act more outside the system. One example of that is my very presence here. I am here to help you all create so much trouble that Ra kills Cronus and names Baal the ruler of this planet. Baal likes what he has heard about the Tau'ri. His intent is to let this planet continue developing on the path it is on. I guess you could say the classic view of how a god rules, by non interference.

I am not saying all your problems are over with Baal instead of Cronus but right now for my plan to work we need Baal here making the decisions. Even as we stand here right now he is on some planet somewhere playing politics and setting him self up as the next in line.

Once Baal is in control his plan ends, he and I have made an arrangement though I do not believe we should trust him to uphold his end of it. The agreement was that the resistance would be allowed a window of opportunity to leave the planet. Consider it your reward for aiding Baal in acquiring a resource. Once we have a safe place to work we can start on the goal that will save your planet and many others, we kill Ra. Ra is what keeps the Goa'uld a unbeatable force. When he dies there will be chaos and open war. Most pantheons will go to war with themselves and the ones that stick together will represent such a threat several others will directly attack them for it.

Once Ra is dead your planet will have a chance to actually remain free. So as I said I am a spy but not in the resistance. Baal doesn't want information on the resistance, he is happy to be able to deny all knowledge of it. If I am caught by Cronus' forces and revealed to follow Baal I will be executed. As I said Baal has a reputation and no one really likes him. I have as much at stake here as you do."

Marty stood up and wiped off his hands. "Any questions Sergeant?"

Before the sergeant could open his mouth, Yseult spoke, accented voice hard with frost, her eyes boring into Marty like icicles of black ice. "I am having many."

She didn't care for politics on her own world and she was developing a far deeper hatred for the politics of these intergalactic conquerors. She had run some clandestine genetic tests on Marty and after this latest revelation, her trust in him was dropping precipitously low.

"But I am limiting myself. For now." The short, stunning woman's face as smooth and cold as that of a marble statue as she looked up at the tall man from another planet. She extended a finger from a tiny fist, tapping it with the index finger of her other. "Un, you are not having as much to lose as the rest of us. You can be losing your life and your chance for vengeance against Ra, yes? Nous autres, we can be losing our lives, the lives of our families and friends, our entire planet."

"Deux." A second slender finger joined the first. "How are you believing it is being a reward to be allowed to flee while another of these Goa'uld, he is taking control of our world? One who is being magnanimous enough - and Machiavellian enough it appears - to let us defeat his superior, while he positions himself to increase his power during the ensuing chaos?"

The tiny scientist bristled and if the thought hadn't been so ludicrous, Marty might have believed the slender woman was going to slap him. "Why are you working for one who is seeming no better than the one who is destroying your world? When you are being done using us for your revenge, will you be helping us reclaim our world or are you planning on coming back here to your 'master'," she said, icy soprano full of scornful venom, "to be claiming a piece of the prize you won for him?"

Marty looked to Yseult, rubbing his chin slowly. It was clear he was trying to choose his words carefully. When he did speak his voice was only cold.

"Your world, your friends, your family, yes you could lose them all. I am sure that would be horrible for you, Doctor. It would be hard to imagine the pain of that kind of loss. Unfortunately, I don't have to imagine it. Just like I didn't have to come here at all. As to "my" vengeance against Ra I don't think you yet grasp it. It's not just my vengeance, it is the vengeance of the entire human race." His voice quivered slightly in anger at the last statement.

"Do you even realize they are calling you the Tau'ri, the first ones, don't you understand the significance this planet has?! This is the planet that it all started at. My people, the Tolan, possibly even the Jaffa all came from here. This was one of the first planets Ra conquered, and from it he spread the human race across the galaxy as slaves, and host." Marty took a couple breaths and continued in a more level tone.

"As to what I am putting at risk the answer is not a damn thing. As long as the Goa'uld, any Goa'uld controls this planet and Ra lives there is a chance he will wake up one day and decide to destroy it. You want to save this planet then you have to destroy their organization, and that means killing Ra. As to your second point.

When an enemy takes your stronghold you don't set up in the back room and hope you don't get noticed. You move to a new area and gather up your strength. Yes, Baal is going to give you the opportunity to get off world. That is because even though he will never say it he wants to see Ra dead, and if the resistance can prove capable of doing it he is going to give them the opportunity. Did I say trust him, no. Did I say shake his hand and be his friend, no. You have to use the opportunities you are given because in this fight we are just too insignificant to go head to head with these demons.

They can heal wounds and wake people up well past them being dead. They can stand almost on top of one of your strongest bombs and detonate it without getting a scratch. They have weapons built in to devices on their hands that can kill ten people standing together with one shot. Even if that wasn't daunting enough even the weakest of them still have dozens of Jaffa that have done nothing since they learned to walk but trained at fighting and dieing in the name of their god.

So will I take a hand out from one Goa'uld to kill another? In a heart beat, and if you all aren't willing to go that far then just go home and accept your lives as slaves because your going to just get killed trying to do anything else."

Marty turned to Ryan. "Trust me or not I don't care. I said I would be honest and I meant it. I don't want to see your world destroyed, or enslaved, but I am not here to give my life in the cause to free it unless it is the absolute only way to stop its destruction. I am here to stop this cycle from happening to hundreds of worlds, and maybe stop the slaughter of millions of innocent people across them. If that isn't good enough for you then say so, I can turn and run, you can shoot me or call for help or what ever. I will go back to the nearest mother ship, dial the Chappa'ai and be off your world and continue my search for a means to end the Goa'uld on my own."

"That's not necessary." He looked at Marty then at Yseult. "Better the Devil you know, than the one you do not."

"You have told us the truth, as far as I can tell. While I have concerns, you know things about our enemies that we do not. Information is ammunition, and at this point our whole world has burned through most of our clip."

He looked at Yseult. "I'm not saying I like it, but We need Marty, and any other allies like him, that will help us throw these invaders from our world. It might be shortsighted, but I'm just a Seargeant. I deal in tactical realities, not strategic. Let's take these guys out now, then worry about what we do afterwards. It's much better than our current alternatives."

Yseult listened to Marty's cool rebuttal in heated silence, eyes glittering like chips of black ice. Everything he said was filed and stored away, a part of her mind correlating it with what else she had learned so far. She might not have been a military strategist, but even as a theoretical scientist, she well understood the value of various avenues of research combining for one distinct conclusion.

The Sergeant felt the slender doctor's dark regard as he described his position. Yseult obviously didn't like, still the overt suspicion subsided in her eyes, her tense posture easing as she turned back to the Alien Agent. She crossed her arms beneath her breasts, a finger tapping her lips as she studied him. Finally, she gave him a short, sharp nod.

"Very well." Her voice was still cool, without a trace of apology, but there was a grudging acceptance to her tone. "However, there is being a few points I am wanting to state. I can be saying with a high degree of certainty, 'it' is not starting here. The Goa'uld parasite, it is unequivocally not native to the ecology of our planet."

The petite beauty stilled, her dark eyes sharpening, yet there was something evoking a faint trace of compassion in her smooth expression or the way she was standing. "Next, I am wanting you to be thinking of this objectively Marty, as much as possible, yes? Are you truly believing the... assassination of Ra the best course of action? Until now, during this... détente among these System Lords, we were not being aware of them. If there is open warfare among them, do you not think our planet, and others, they are being at more risk to destruction, negligent annihilation?" Soft lips tightened into a firm line. "As well, from the little you are telling me, this 'Baal', he is not seeming less dangerous than Ra. Moreso in fact."

"Finally, I am not saying this this to be accusing, but I am wanting to know how far you are going in destroy Ra. And perhaps to reveal to yourself how far you have gone." Her expression turned grave, if no less studious. "How long are you working to this Baal, Marty? How many other planets have you schemed to place under Baal's sway in your quest to kill Ra?"

"First of all I did not say the Goa'uld came from this planet. I said their host and the Jaffa did. Possibly every "human" race that exist in the galaxy has it origins on this planet. To some people you meet in the galaxy that will not mean anything, but it could also mean a great deal to others.

I do understand your point that creating all out war between the Goa'uld is dangerous to your planet and every other one out there. However as long as Ra lives the instant any planet or any force starts to look like a threat the entire race of Goa'uld will simply come together to wipe them out. Destroy Ra and you have a chance of actually building a army that can challenge the Goa'uld. Some of them may come together but you truly can not appreciate the egos of these creatures. With an army at their door step some of them would rather take the opportunity to slit the throats of others rather then work together to defeat their enemy.

It has long been my belief the greatest enemy of the Goa'uld is the Goa'uld, but not as long as Ra lives. Doctor, I am not saying my plan is perfect and once we deal with Cronus and give our selves a chance to breathe and consider the next step I am perfectly fine with hearing other suggestions. Yes, I want Ra dead for what he did to my planet but I accepted years ago my true goal is ending the threat of the Goa'uld for the entire galaxy. It may not even be possible in my life time."

Marty sighed and looked around. "It is late, we should be preparing for tomorrow. Yseult, I made you a promise before, if it is in my power I am going to save your family. I meant that promise. Try to trust me that there is no way to put your planet in a good situation right now, but it is truly my opinion that removing Cronus and bringing Baal here is better for all of us. If it turns out I am wrong then we remove Baal, it probably won't be as easy, but we will do it. As to what I have done in the past ten years of my life while I sought a way to kill Ra. I just wouldn't ask, you guys are going to have a hard enough time giving me a chance to earn your trust."

Yseult listened to Marty in cool silence, slightly mollified by his explanation, some of her heat and tenseness leaching away in the chill air. She still had some concerns, grave concerns, but she was willing to accept Marty's aid for the nonce. They had little enough experience in dealing with these goa'uld to refuse it.

She gave Marty a sharp nod. "Bien, good, some of my concerns, they are alleviated," Yseult said, an undercurrent in her tone saying only some. She laid a hand briefly on his arm then turned to go check on her daughter, pausing at the door to look over her slender shoulder. "Your help, I am appreciating it, I am, but I am hoping your aid, it will not cost us everything we are striving to save, yes?"

With that, she left the room to check on the one thing she had been able to save since their world was conquered by an alien species.

Lori was excited, but she did as Ryan said, leaving the table soon after with a promise to go right to sleep. Everyone else departed soon after that, and the house quieted down until morning.

Then there was a little bustle as Morrison - who was doubling as the outpost's chef as well as the resource officer - put out a simple breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs and toast. Once everyone had eaten, the four selected to go hopped in the SUV. The winding, back-road drive to town was longer than it had to be, but Ryan wanted to be sure that no one traced them back to the house.

The town was a typical small mountain village; a few buildings crammed into a more or less level spot between high, sloping mountains. Ryan pulled into a small Walmart and parked. Standing outside the building were armed Jaffa and they looked bored. To Marty, that translated to "looking for a fight" in the mind of a Jaffa.

Marty frowned slightly but kept the Jaffa in the corner of his eye rather then meeting any of their gazes.

"In the name of Sokar that is the last thing we need. Jaffa who are edgy from not getting enough fight out of them. Listen, when we walk in there you two stay between Ryan and I. Do not so much as glance at the Jaffa. I had been hoping to go off and find their base to get an accurate idea of their numbers and armaments but that is just going to have to wait until we get our supplies. If all the Jaffa around here look like that I don't want to risk you two drawing their attention with just Ryan around."

Marty's hand reached in to his left pocket where he fingered Hephaestus's ring. He really wanted to only use it in emergencies but it was wise to keep it close. He also checked his right pocket to reassure him self Baal's ring was in there. It was riskier to reveal him self as a servant of Baal around here but if he really needed a reason to stand tall representing a system lord meant a lot more then just some local lackey to Chronus.

Yseult gave Lori a faint smile, it would have been more amusing if the circumstances were no so dire and serious. She glanced warily at the Jaffa, aware of the brutish strength hiding beneath their powerful builds, then at her companions. The men towered over her by more than a foot, but she was accustomed to such. Her husband stood as tall.

"Your suggestion, Lori, it is making more than a little sense," Yseult replied just a softly, Lori's colour heightening just a bit more. François and Loric, I will find you and get you back, no matter the cost to me. "The pairings, they should be Marty and I and Ryan and you, Lori, yes? The ages, their differences are less drastic."

Suiting words to actions, telling herself it was no different than being in a play - though she had never desired to be an actress - Yseult shifted, moving herself under Marty's shoulder, resolutely moving his hand to place it on her hip. Marty could feel her tremble slightly.

Ryan nodded, not particularly comfortable, he hadn't worn civillian clothing in a long time, and was quite used tot he fit of fatigues. "It works for me, if you don't mind Lori."

He followed Yesults Example and smiled as he held out his arm to her. "Call me old fashioned, but I think this will be enough."

He nodded to the others as he waited for Lori to take his arm. "Let's get in and get out, we're just a bunch of friends coming to shop, nothing more or less."

"Old fashioned... no offense, Sargent, but it'll look lame." Lori ignored his arm and instead laced her fingers with his. "There, we're not draped all over each other, so you don't have to worry about my Daddy getting upset, and we look more normal." She looked at the other two, and there was a hint of excitement in her eyes. "Ready?"

They walked forward in a loose group, Lori starting into a crazy chatter about her friends in college, as if sharing the gossip with friends. The other three were treated to a dizzying litany of who was sleeping with whom, who was cheating on whom and what the inevitable outcome was. Had the Jaffa understood English, they would have been as confused as Marty was now.

Marty felt their eyes on them, but the Jaffa let them go without comment.

Marty let out a brief sigh of relief once they were inside. First trip out was not the time to get in to trouble. Once they were in the store all thoughts of the Jaffa left his mind. Marty wandered the aisles looking at all the new things. Only a handful of planets had reached this level of technology and none of them had the Tau'ri's interest in wealth. The idea of these stores where everything had a value of currency to it was actually quite amazing. Not to mention the number of things Marty had yet to see or learn about. When he ended up in the hardware area he got a bit more serious and started examining all the tools at his disposal to get an idea of what he could start doing while he was on this planet.

Yseult and Lori took a detour through the Pharmacy department. They picked up extra feminine hygiene products then Yseult asked Lori to find a sewing kit and some extra medical supplies while she perused the vitamins and other items, checking the boxes for specific ingredients and components. Lt. Morrison had done a more than admirable job collecting their supplies, but there was no need to tax his resources or resourcefulness.

Their baskets full, and still a wary of the Jaffa, Yseult and Lori quickly went back to rejoin Marty and Ryan in the hardware department. Passing by the grocery department, Yseult skipped over the fresh produce - which was looking far from fresh - and added a bag of raisin-oatmeal cookies as a treat for Monique.

Marty glanced at Ryan and gave him a smirk. "Oh the usual, fix shingles, repair a engine block, overthrow a oppressive alien government. You think this wrench would be good for all those things? Relax sir, these guys don't stand over your shoulder and try to watch and listen in to everything you do. Remember, by their belief no one has the power or the inclination to challenge a god. With all the power the Goa'uld have what would be the point in trying? What is even the purpose behind this?"

Marty picked up the hand drill and looked at it. "There are very few Jaffa that even take the time to learn to speak any language other than the language of the gods. Their expectations will be on us learning to speak it."

"That's a hand drill," Lori said with a grin to Marty. "It makes holes in walls. I didn't think there was a man alive who didn't know that."

"Come on," Ryan suggested, before Marty started to ask more questions and Lori came up with a few of her own in response. "Let's check sporting goods."

The ammunition was gone. There was merely a sign saying that they were out of stock. Other supplies were there, though picked over. Lori looked at the others and said, "So, do we need camping gear?"

"Camping gear? I don't think we are going to be spending too many nights out under stars."

Marty looked curiously at the ammunition area. It was not like the Goa'uld to disarm a planet that they conquered, that only left people buying up the supplies. That made him nervous, they were trying to be low profile in this area to gather intelligence until they were ready to begin practicing tactics. A local group rising up was not going to help. Marty spoke quietly to Ryan.

"We may want to see if we can find out who bought out all the munitions here. If they plan on starting trouble we need to try to make sure they do it in a way that is beneficial to us, and doesn't draw attention to us. Talking to the locals may not be the best job for me, I got lucky with Yseult. Likely I could be taken for someone working for the Goa'uld."

• 2 weeks later...

"We can attempt to do so, Marty," Yseult said uncertainly. "However, you are being maybe under a misunderstanding. The munitions, there were most likely bought by individuals, not a cohesive group. The Americans, they are taking their right to bear arms very seriously - too seriously at times." Her lips turned down in a wry frown. "Admittedly, considering the circumstances, I cannot be blaming them, yes?"

The group began heading toward the cashes to purchase their supplies, picking up several other items along the way. They stayed close together so their voices wouldn't carry beyond a murmur when they spoke among themselves. "Perhaps, we should see how the Jaffa, they are treating those in town, yes? And continue from there."

• 4 weeks later...

"Maybe find some other rebels?" Lori whispered, only to be softly shushed by Yseult. The girl blushed charmingly and nodded, but her expression said that she still wanted her question answered.

"Hey, guys." The whisper came from behind them and the group turned to see a lanky guy sidling up to them. He was skinny and young, with nervous, roving eyes. "I saw you looking at the ammo counter. Looking to buy some rounds?"

• 2 weeks later...

Marty followed the boys looks then glanced at Ryan. From what he had seen back at the base ammo wasn't really a problem. However if there was a opportunity to find locals that could help them in the future they needed to look in to it. They needed an opportunity to judge if these people could be smart or if they were just going to get themselves killed. He didn't really whisper but he kept his voice low and calm.

"If we are? Is there somewhere you might be more comfortable discussing it?

Yseult left the men to speak with the lanky youth to vet his sincerity and arrange any possible meeting, she had little experience with such things. Instead, she glanced at Lori then nodded at the young woman to take the other cart and accompany her to the checkout and draw some attention away from the men. Also, if a meeting was arranged, they would that much more prepared to follow.

"Perhaps, they are finding us, yes?" Yseult murmured softly. "Come, they will inform us of details, and while the men, they are gossiping, we will get the necessary chores done."

• 2 weeks later...

"Isn't that always the way it goes?" Lori said with a quick smile and soft giggle. That noise seemed out of place in the oppressive, furtive atmosphere of the store and Lori quickly fell silent. She remained silent as they checked out.

The boy sidled nearer to Marty and Ryan, his body language advertising exactly what the two more experienced men didn't want it to: "Hello, something is going on over here!" "So yeah, meet me the lookout spot on the highway - you know the big one with picnic tables. Someone will meet you there."

Marty nodded and then nodded to Ryan and walked away. He didn't really want to stand next to the guy screaming for the Jaffa to take notice. He was about to just head outside and wait when he remembered the guards outside. As much as Marty wanted to enjoy what time he could outside he didn't really want to pass back by the Jaffa on his own. Luckily they had a bench by the door and he was able to just sit and wait for the rest to finish up.

Most people feared the Goa'uld out of the belief they were gods. Those who knew they were not feared them even more usually. Marty just couldn't anymore. Oh he had concerns about a Goa'uld killing him like anyone else but he had long been driven past his fear. The Jaffa on the other hand did scare Marty. The handful of Goa'uld who had ever seen Marty's face could decide someday they wanted to kill him and Marty would just never be in a room with them again. The Jaffa were millions though and any of them could just as easily draw their weapon and kill you. Jaffa just made him nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

The cashier scanned their items while studiously avoiding looking at what they were actually purchasing. Yseult was relieved when she was handed back the change and she and Lori pushed the carts towards the entrance, reclaiming Marty and Ryan from where they were sharing a bench. Yseult and Lori shared a smile, but it was brief and quickly faded.

While Marty and Ryan shared what they had found out in low voices, they packed away their supplies in the truck and made their plans. Not wanting to draw a direct link between Wallmart and the rest-stop, they drove around town a bit, making token stops at a few other stores, and a few, subtle inquiries about the Jaffa and how the townsfolk were being treated. At Yseult's suggestion, they picked up a small lunch to take to the rest-stop to serve as a reason to stop at the lookout point.

The group pulled into the bare parking lot at the lookout point, wheels crunching loudly on the gravel as all four of them warily watched their surroundings before stepping out of the vehicle.

As they drove around town Marty got a soft head count of the Jaffa. When they passed by what appeared to be city hall it was clear that it was the base of operations for the area. Three platforms were set up and a Tel'tak sat outside that could have easily carried a hundred or so Jaffa in it. Marty had never seen such a force commitment from the Goa'uld. Although the more he thought about it he had never heard of any other planet with this high a population needing to be conquered. He would need to come back here later for information.

As they reached the rest stop Marty scanned the area. These people did things in odd ways. He followed instructions on getting food laid out and ready as he kept an eye out for the ones they were waiting for.

• 2 months later...

It wasn't long before two nervous-looking men approached their table. "Hi there," the older said, nodding in what was probably supposed to be done in a companionable way but was just jerky.

"Sit down, join us," Ryan offered.

"Ah, no thanks." The man waved his hand.

"Sit down, you're standing out," Marty ordered, his voice just a touch hard.

The two men sat down. "Now," Ryan said, biting into a ham sandwich, "what are your terms?"

"We have a large supply of ammo," the older man said. "We're willing to part with it for some medicine."

"We had a supply of meds, but they're older," the younger blurted.

"Clyde," the older said in warning and young Clyde shut up.

"Can you all deal with that?" the unnamed older man asked.

Marty took a bite of a sandwich as he examined the two men. Medicine seemed an odd request. It was like some people were treating this as an apocalypse. Although if they didn't remove Chronus it might as well be. Chronus did not like his worlds being anywhere near as advanced as this one was. Most of the system lords didn't. From what Marty understood Baal intended to stunt advancement but not limit current knowledge. If he was understanding what he was learning from the literature this world would be hard pressed to support its current population without the aid of its technology.

"Are you looking for specific medicines for certain conditions, or just general medicines? I am curious what you hope to gain by stockpiling. Eventually the hospitals should be allowed to return to some semblance of regular operations. Unless you intend to avoid them."

He had to figure out if these people could be useful. If they were going to bring down Chronus it was going to take many groups working to keep the planet from calming down.

"Insulin and medications for epilepsy, thyroid and AIDS medications - specifically stuff that people are going to die without, things that we can't get from nature," the older man said.

"We don't trust these aliens to let us keep up the manufacture of those drugs," Clyde said impatiently. "Or not to use them to control sick people. We're looking for options for people."

Yseult carefully rewrapped the remains of her sandwich and set it aside, then leaned forward slightly, her dark eyes intent. "Such medications, we are not having access to surplus stock," she admitted coolly, lips tightening at the look Marty and Ryan directed at her. Having a mildly autistic daughter and a father who died of Alzheimer's, Yseult felt their concern intimately. And from what she had studied of the Jaffa, their worries over neglecting the sick appeared to be valid ones.

"But the best-before-date, it is not entirely... accurate. It is a liability issue. Many such medications, they are reliable for some time after they have apparently expired. I will be willing to tell you which ones, and for how long they are being usable. Further, I can be telling you which more common medications - many available at a local pharmacy - can be used in the short term."

"Are you a doctor?" Clyde asked, and Yseult noticed the suddenly intense look in the older man's eyes."

"I am being a, a research scientist. I am designing various drugs and medicines. It is not the same as being a true medical doctor." Her voice was cool, her expression reticent. Lying wasn't exactly a forte of hers.

"That's a good start, I'm just not sure how to price information for a fair trade," the older man said, rubbing his stubble-covered chin with rough fingers. "But you said you're a medical researcher?"

"Oui, I am." Yseult's expression remained distant and somewhat aloof.

"Alright, we didn't bring the rounds with us, but we'll go get them and come right back," the older man said, starting to stand. "We'll take that information for the rounds, ma'am."

Perhaps Marty was just being paranoid but at the suggestion the two men leave and then return warning bells started to go off in his head. He glanced at Ryan and Yseult to see if they were expressing concern over the idea as well.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you acquire the ammunition in the first place if you did not plan on fighting? You have also given us no idea on how much you have either."

"What we have depends on what you guys need," the man said. "Nine mil I have coming out of my ears, all the twenty-two you could want but more exotic stuff is harder to get and more costly.

"And my source is secret," the man added. "No offense, but we can't be too careful in these times."

"How's your supply of five-point-seven by twenty-eight mil?" Ryan asked, tilting his head.

"Low, it'll take all your doctor's medical know-how to get the twelve gross I've currently got," he said.

Ryan glanced at Yseult. "How much information do you plan to give up for that? I think our data is more valuable, especially since we don't need the rounds yet."

"But they are maybe needing my knowledge now, no?" Yseult countered softly. The petite scientist wrapped her arms across her chest, eyes closed as she released a composing sigh. She was well aware that what she knew was just about the only currency she had left and spending it freely was unwise. And though she was a researcher more than a practicing doctor, she couldn't just do nothing when just a few words and some time could help them dearly.

When she opened her eyes once more, Yseult's face was calm and cool, her dark gaze unyielding. "We are not having the time for me to relate everything I have learned in nearly forty years." Clyde and the older man shared a look - the attractive doctor hardly looked that old and few who looked like she did would ever admit. Yseult didn't miss the look, but continued nonetheless. "I am willing to tell you which medications you already have are still being valid and will try to provide the names of acceptable substitutes for... hmm, two ailments of your choice. Unlike the bullets, what I am telling you is reusable. Is this being acceptable?"

Beneath the picnic table, Yseult twisted her wedding ring around her finger with a thumb, while watching the men, her raven brows arched expectantly. She wanted to help them, but a guilty part of her also wanted to know which medication they did have, which would tell her how well prepared they were in that fashion, and possibly where they had gotten them, from a pharmacy or hospital or elsewhere. That could lead to another source of supplies or allies.

• 5 weeks later...

Listening to the exchange Marty kept an eye out on the surrounding area. He didn't like how this was going. It was one thing to prove they had value, but they were making Yseult out to be the only value. Marty preferred a bit more control then this.

"Perhaps it would be best to not drag this meeting out too long. Hard to tell what the Jaffa will take notice of. Why don't we go and write a list of the ammunition we are after, you all write down the list of medications you have and the diseases you wish to know about. We can meet back here tomorrow and exchange the list and choose a time to get back together and negotiate."

Archived