World of Darkness: Attrition - Daring to Hope

Sarah Dead-Wolf

[evening, 10 February 2010]

Even with Jeremy's pep-talk, it took Sarah a while to turn renewed (if fragile) hope into action. Indeed, it took a bit for her to even decide what action was most appropriate.

Funny, she thought, how things come full circle. Ariel's pack was too new on the ground to give helpful pointers. The primal Blood Talons down along the coast had made very clear their desire to never see the Dead Wolf again. Whatever it was that was living up near the zoo - she'd noted the tracks from time to time, different enough to indicate at least a few - was doing so along with the very, very wrong sort of thing that attacked her when she'd first arrived in L.A. And she'd had very little luck scouting out other werewolves in the city, though she knew they had to exist.

So once again, she found herself climbing Sullivan Fire Road - on two legs, not four. Once again, she found that familiar tree and the stones at its base. And once again, she slipped a carefully written note amid the rocks before - after a hopeful look around - she turned to head back down the trail.

Click to reveal..
Topangas,

Once more, I ask for your guidance. A good friend told me that I've come too far to give up now. I'm taking that to heart.

You know this city much better than I. You know who is who. Long story short, I'm hoping to find a pack, one where I can be useful and accepted. You know my skills and my shortcomings. You know my failure of the last test, and if you've been watching you know that I've tried to learn from it.

In the test of cunning, Dredge mentioned that the only way I could have done better would have been to come to him for the information. So here I am, hoping that lesson still holds true.

I'll be back here in three nights.

- Sarah

[evening, 13 February 2010]

Three nights later, Sarah made her slow way back up the twists and trails that led to the edge of Topanga territory. No moon hung in the sky above; only the stars looked down upon the hills tonight. The hunger was harder on Sarah tonight, part of the curse that went with being a Dead-Wolf, and she'd been sure to hunt to her fill before starting the trek.

She really didn't know what she'd find there. It could be just Dredge, there with his quick wit and a clever jibe. It could be the twins that comprised Lighting-Strikes-Twice, there to glower in judgement. It could be any or all of the pack, with a challenge or information or simply a painful beating. It could be, she realized, nobody and nothing at all.

But true to her word, Sarah returned, and dared once more to hope.

Archived