World of Darkness: Balance of Power - [Fic] Chivalry Is Dead?

Adam

Down on 10th and Broadway, tucked back into an alley way off the boulevard, there stands a small hole in the wall bar. The beer is watered down, the booze is second rate and the place smells like a red-neck locker room, but to those who frequent Ace's n' 8's, it's the cheapest place around and just unknown enough for the world to lose you while your there...

The bar was stuffy and filled with smoke. An old jukebox played some of the best songs the eighties had to offer, mostly because the proprietor hadn't bothered to update the thing since then. They were at such a low volume no one really seemed to notice it was even playing.

At almost seven feet in height, and half that at the shoulders, a lone man at the bar sat quietly and tipped back an amber glass as he was approached by the bartender to offer a refill. "Adam, I appreciate you helping me with bringing in that freezer and hooking it up."

"T'was nothing my friend." The large man said in a deep tone that carried a weight that could rumble the paint from the plaster. "Happy to be of assistance, Mortimer."

Adam was the only man who insisted on calling the bartender, who was in his near fifties, 'Mortimer'. Most just called him 'Morty', 'Mort', or any other variety they could dribble out through drunken slurs. He always thought it odd the way the man talked, 'Adam' seemed like such a gentle giant, reserved, well spoken and completely out of place in Ace's n' 8's. That meant he had a secret, a story to tell or a life he wanted to forget. Mortimer was the kind of man who'd been doing this his whole life and knew to respect a man's privacy. He always thought, with the strange talking, that 'Adam' was from France or the Caribbean or something, you know, one of those foreign places. "Right. Well, lemme know when you're ready for another, on me." He tapped the bar a few times to signal a polite farewell and moved on to other customers.

'Adam' nodded his appreciation to the man as his glass rose to his lips once again. Within it's reflection he could see his blueish skin and ornate horns gliding back across his head. No one else noticed his true appearance, but for him it was a constant reminder of the life he was trying so desperately to escape from. A slight commotion raised his ears a bit but he tried to make it a point not to interfere in others business.

"...forget it Rick, fuck you." Staci pulled her arm away from Rick. She worked there as a part time waitress. Sweet enough gal with long black hair and an attractive frame. She had some fire in her, that was for sure. 'Adam' didn't know her very well, but she'd always been sweet to him when he'd ordered his drinks. He'd heard she was a run away, an attractive girl from a broken home and a stepfather with wandering hands and over active libido, but he never pried.

The rather greasy man chuckled a bit. "C'mon Stac. Y'been wigglin' that fine ass at me all night. Dem' shorts was any shorter they'd need there own hair do." He reached out and gave her ass a hard slap, hard enough that is echoed through the relatively quite bar.

She winced visibly. "You mother fu- Mort!" She screamed with a look of frustration mingled with anger. "Do something with this guy, I swear to god..."

"Rick, I'm not in the mood for this bullshit tonight." Mort yelled from over the bar, having look around 'Adam' to do so. The whole thing seemed to be disassembling into a big dysfunctional family moment. "You've had enough, you're drunk and it's time to go home. Staci, go ring up his tab."

"With pleasure." She fumed and took only a single step before she was yanked back by Rick, who was behind her, with arm wrapped tightly about her waist.

"Sure thing, Morty. But I'm thinking the little tease needs the rest of the night off." She tried to give a struggle but he was too strong for her. "What'cha say darlin'? Lil quality time with ol' Ricky?" His whiskey scented laugh nearly made her gag.

"Aw shit..." Morty murmured under his breath.

'Adam' closed his eyes and finished his glass. Casually he set it on the bar and reached over to rest his large hand on the small old man's shoulder. "I'll handle this. Do not fret."

With those soft, calmly spoken words the large ogre of a man stood up and turned to face the scene. Although the bar was already poorly lit he still cast a massive shadow over the pair. The struggling Staci stopped and looked at her would be rescuer and Rick swallowed hard but was to nervous suddenly to tell his mind to let go of the attractive nineteen year old.

"Pardon me miscreant," He begun. His words were calm and his expression was one that warned that he was not pleased one bit with Rick's behavior. "I implore you to reconsider your ill deeds, lest you desire me to thwart your clumsy attempts at playing the thug."

Rick's eyes darted about to the few other patrons, looking to them only earned a slight shrug. He looked up at 'Adam'. "What?"

With a sigh Staci went limp slightly, like she was giving up, and rolled her eyes. "He means: Let me go, leave me alone, or he's going to kick your ass. Now quit being a dick, Rick."

'Adam' calmly nodded to the woman, extending his hand for her to take hold of. "Verily."

Rick let her go slowly and she slipped away after taking the large man's hand. She let out a sigh of relief as she slipped behind 'Adam', resting her hands on his waist she peeked around from behind him. "Return to your domicile Rick. Your cups this evening, have come to an end."

The greasy drunkard about tripped over himself as he ran into tables and staggered himself almost off balance as he sped for the door. "Drive safe!" Staci chirped up cheerfully to add insult to injury and went about gathering up the mess from Ricks table. "Thanks Adam." She smiled, blushing slightly as she went back to her business.

"T'was my pleasure to be of assistance Ms. Staci." He bowed his head slightly. "It warms my heart to see you are unhurt." Without another word he turned and returned to spot at the bar. The stool complained with a creaky groan as he sat down but he tipped back the refill Mortimer had waiting for him.

Archived