Mutants & Masterminds: The Unlikely Prophets - Issue #2: The Man Who Built Yesterday

Charlotte

Cyan gave a sidelong glance at Armor Dude, chills running up her arms and down her back as goosebumps rose for the occasion.

Somebody got their 'groove' back. Way to go Sammy!

She waited for the rest to have their piece, even the hologram, which seemed oddly ignorant for a machine intelligent enough to have 'foreseen' things.

"The Order's a bunch of dickless wankers that have a bloody strangle-hold on the world. 'Walk this way, talk this way, eat this, drink this, watch this'. Makes me sick. We're on a mission from God to overthrow the lot of 'em." Cyco said, spitting on the ground.

"Me, I'm Cyco. Born of Angels and engifted by that very same to release mankind from their oppressors!" she added, heatedly.

She was all worked up from the quick battle and was still lamenting its end. This hologram seemed the obvious next step in their quest and she wasn't gonna hold up the train.

Unable to resist, she did zip over and wave her hand through the projected image though before zipping back to her spot.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gloom watched the others silently before she offered, "I'm called Gloom, I was once Sgt. Andi Murphy." She paused and then shrugged. "I don't really have anything else to add to that. I am what I am."

She was looking closely at the room; not the computers or anything like that; she was looking at it with a cop's eye, waiting for trouble.

The Necronaut pondered the proper etiquette when meeting new vaguely-interactive holograms. Handshakes were obviously out. He settled for a professional nod.

"I am the Necronaut. The Order is abusing the dead as well as the living, and I'm trying to help stop that. The nether-world is seriously deteriorating under their administration."

He paused a moment and added, "I speak with the dead, if you happen to know of any dead people who need speaking with."

Hikari nods. "I am Hikari Motarasu, known as Radiance. I stand with my comrade to fight the Order. Before that I was an artist."

Her Defensive field faded and before her A lifesize painting-like of each member of the order appears, in color almost as if they were really there. "These are the Memebers of the Order who run things."

Originally Posted By: Radiance
Her Defensive field faded and before her A lifesize painting-like of each member of the order appears, in color almost as if they were really there. "These are the Memebers of the Order who run things."

"JESUS CHRIST!...not that that name means anything to most of you...but JESUS CHRIST!" Cyco exclaimed at seeing the Order's most nefarious members.

Acting before she could think, she ran at Radiance, tackling her in an attempt to remove her from the danger that suddenly appeared before her.

Bodhie's first reaction was similar to Cyco's but her body was never as fast as the speed-demonette. The large powerful woman made a step forward changing her target in midstep. Originally she would've attacked the apparition but she realized it was just a picture - an unbelievably real picture but still just a picture.

"Cyco!", she yelled trying to get hold of the young woman and prevent the worst but she was far too slow. Instead she interposed herself between the picture and the others hoping that the situation would quickly dissolve.

Hikari was completely unprepared for the superspeed "saving" tackle from Cyco and was slammed to the ground for it. "It's ok, really. They're just pictures. I'm an artist remember? I've met them for a painting they hired me to create. They're not really here."

She was abit miffed by the whole thing, and her icy blue eyes seemed to sparkle. "You can let me up, They're nothing but creations of hard light, my medium of choice."

"Oh, right...sorry 'bout that...Hey did you know your eyes kinda dance with an inner light when you're angry? Quite charming." Cyco said, apologetically.

She stood up slowly, taking care not to use Hikari's softer parts to help her self up. She then extended a hand to help up her teammate, looking a bit sheepish and even blushing as she looked around at her other comrades.

Hikari took the offered hand and smiled. "No worries. The only person here who'd actually seen it before was Gloom." She shook her head. "I wasn't aware of the bit with my eyes."

She rubbed her ribs and sighed. "Ouch."

She smiled and turned to the program. "Do you recognize the people I'm displaying?"

Originally Posted By: Mike OOC
The hologram turned to the Scarlet Samurai. "I am a program left behind by the Goldsmith ... I know of the Scarlet Samurai because he was an associate of the Goldsmith. The Goldsmith was one of the few who knew the Scarlet Samurai's secret identity, which you have correctly confirmed."

He knew father? Kenshin wondered if this hologram could tell him more. He was certain that it couldn't tell him much about the man his father was, but of the hero his father was that was different. Maybe his father had gone through the same struggle with the blade. For his part Kenshin listened and observed, now was not the time to ask such things but he would not forget and if he had the chance he would find out. He needed to know...

"Please do not disturb the hologram," the hologram spoke after Cyco waved her hand through it.

It turned to Necronaut. "Speaking with dead: ability not on file. Circumstance unanticipated. Unable to respond."

Then it turned to Radiance. "Hard light holograms detected. Using visual analysis mode. Caution. Visual analysis is imperfect and data retrieved is limited."

The probes washed over the hard light holograms.

Not in Database

Not in Database

Flagged: Requires High Level Access

Flagged: Requires High Level Access

Alert: 72% Chance of Goldsmith Technology Detected

The probes focused on the ruby sphere of AEGIS-1 that Radiance was projecting a holograph of, and also on the flaming headed form of the Mathemagician.

"What does this 'Order' do with prototype technology designated RUBY-9 and EMERALD-6?"

Hex shakes her head. "They don't call them that. 'Ruby nine' they called Aegis 1, and they use it to protect themselves or people they're concerned someone might try to hurt...officials and so on. Emerald six...that's what they call the Mathemagician." She pauses.

"I think that's what they used to change the world. When we got our powers, it was because someone managed to 'hack' the Mathemagician."

"You see...while you've been in this vault, cut off from the world, the Order rewrote history. There's this...gap now, that no one can remember anything from, and all material from is confiscated, and all records of are deleted. No one but the Order knows what happened then, but...I think it may be a period of time that begins when these kinds of powers were first publicly known, up until the time that the Order managed to make sure no one but themselves had these powers. Or up until the moment they were able to take control."

"But really, all we have to work by is educated guesses and a few vague clues. That's why we're here. We figured out the Order was hiding something in this building...something that they were planning to get rid of. We thought it might be contraband information, or some kind of threat to them. Something we could use."

She shrugs. "Turns out, it was you. They've been trying to hack into you. We got into the building, fought off the guards, and in the process accidentally set off your security."

Scowling at the reprimand, she thumbed over at Hex, "What she said."

Bloody thing didn't even acknowledge what I said.

Cyco zipped over by Bodhie, feeling more comfortable next to the massive woman should the overrated flashlight decide to throw some more 'security' at them.

Bodhie was mostly relieved that things didn’t escalate. Cyco was way too nervous or maybe her body was faster than her mind. That thought made her chuckle actually and she almost laughed at Cyco’s attempt to apologize to Radiance. It would take a while before they merged into a team a new eachothers perks and abilities but one thing was for sure, Bodhie would always keep an eye out for Cyco, even though she long lost hope of ever catching up with the speedster…

Just as she finished that thought Cyco flashed next to her as if to seek protection. The large female body builder nodded satisfied at her friend and winked at her before she focused her concentration back to the Goldsmith… or whatever the thing was they were talking to.

„I don’t know how everybody else feels like, but when this song got played it felt to me like a veil was lifted… it’s hard to explain but I could feel that something was different, that something important had changed…“, Bodhie wasn’t sure if that made any sense but maybe the machine-thing could make something of that?

Sharatur shakes her head, wondering why she keeps feeling so contrary. "Okay look, we've answered your questions. Who--what are you? What is your purpose? Who do you serve? Can you help us" the words are surprisingly hard for her. She swallows and forces herself to say them with only a slight pause "destroy the Order? If so, how? And finally" this time, her pause is deliberate and pointed, "why should we trust you? Enemy of my enemy isn't really good enough for me."

The Necronaut took this exchange, and the brief upset over Radiance's illusions in stride. For one thing, he felt pretty safe with one foot in the land of the dead, and for another there was something sort of comforting about the holigram's clinical distance. Even if it did turn out to be an enemy, it probably wouldn't be smug or malicious about it and that was more than could be hoped of the Order. He was going to hang back and let others do the talking, until something started scratching at the back of his mind... he pondered it for a moment, and then spoke cautiously.

"So, um, not-deceased mechanical Goldsmith, we aren't exactly sure why the Order was trying to break in here, but they were trying really hard. And if Aegis and the Mathemagician are the same kind of tech, it's a good bet they'd love to use everything in here to tighten up their global domination business even more. What I mean to say is, um, (this is awkward), we probably shouldn't let you fall into their hands... Unless we can take you with us or you can self-destruct it's pretty important that there's nothing here they can salvage when we're done. Um. If that's ok with you. They may be on their way already so yeah, better start telling us anything really important right now."

The hologram was still for a moment. Then it spoke.

"This program was created by the Goldsmith to assess who may access his personal vault should he be killed or incapacitated. Scanners have indicated that your statements are truthful. This program cannot provide direct assistance. It can provide indirect assistance, however.

"Heuristic analysis indicates Tier 1 access is the best course of action without input from the Goldsmith or another full-access user." There was the sound of sliding bolts, and a small box about the size of a steamer trunk was pushed through the ruby wall. "Tier 1 grants access to the basic equipment the Goldsmith provided to superheroes."

The box was gold-plated and looked like a jewel-encrusted hi-tech loom. "The L.O.O.M. system uses commonly available materials to create special memory-weave cloth that can adapt to most cataloged superhuman abilities. The L.O.O.M. system will also create special masks that obscure retinal and biometric scans whilst allowing for the maximum range of visual acuity. It has stored material enough for the group of you.

"In addition, Tier 1 users may choose to engage the self-destruct system on the vault, or move the vault as they choose. It weighs several dozen tons. It is sixty-five feet long by forty feet wide by twenty feet high. To access Tier 2 equipment, including classified experimental technologies and the historical archive, you will need an individual with higher level access - "

"You know anything about Iron Gates?" said Blackjack suddenly.

"The words 'iron gates' do not have a specific reference in this program beyond the dictionary definitions." The Goldsmith looked at Blackjack.

Blackjack just stared into nothing. "Just heard them say the 'user' was at Iron Gates before all the shooting began, is all. It's new to me, too. Go on."

"What do you know about this user?"

"Just that they exist."

"What do you know about the Goldsmith?"

"Gonna guess, real name Marcus Gold, owner of the Cardinal building in Seattle?"

"Correct. Near-certain probability that this information is known to those trying to access the vault. Therefore there is a high probability that this user is Marcus Gold's daughter, Jasmine Gold."

"Sounds like we ought to look for her, then. This 'Iron Gates,' too. But first: what do we do with the vault? Think we can move it out of the city?" Jack turned to the others as he spoke.

Bodhie's eyes widened as she saw the wondrous machine going into action. The L.O.O.M. system especially caught her attention and she carefully approached it unsure what or how to actually use it. "Ahm... I'd like to have one of those suits and masks, it's bloody annoying to find new clothes each time I grow...", the oversized female bodybuilder wasn't sure if she should address the hologram or the 'machine' itself but she did really want one of those memory-weave cloth-thingies.

Then the Goldsmith mentioned something about the vault and that they could move it. She looked around trying to estimate if she could pick up the vault or remove the AEGIS-1 like thing blocking the entrance. Looking at the others Bodhie raised an eyebrow asking, "Want me to have a try if I can move that thing?", she was feeling confident and it would be nice to know where her limits actually was.

"Muscles, hold up," Cyco said, zipping over and putting a hand on Bodhie, "Let's finish our biz and chattin' it up before we go unpluggin' the thing and carryin' it around like a boombox."

Cyco was just as eager as Bodhie for some superclothes, even if she was miffed at the hologram for being snippish at her and pretty much ignoring everything she said. She almost felt like standing in the hologram out of spite, but she wasn't sure that she wouldn't be dissolved by the light if she stayed too long.

She turned towards the hologram, "So how do we use the Loom? Is it voice activated? How specific do we have to be? I mean, I don't want to walk around in an impervious gunny sack..."

Hex, for her part, turned away from the others as she racked her brains. Ever since the thing had said they could move it she'd been trying to think...but it was so big! And heavy! Where could they possibly put it?

On sudden impulse she opened the Book of Keys, hoping against hope for some answer within.

(OOC - I'm thinking...what about a Ritual? Something like a few ranks of Dimensional Pocket, with the Continuous modifier, to sink the Vault into a pocket universe until we work something better out. Would that be a valid ritual? If so, could I spend a Hero Point to develop it quickly? :))

"It is conceivable that, er, with a little help and a little time I could shove the whole thing into the netherworld." The Necronaut posited. "No idea how hard it would be to move it around or pull it back once that was done, but at least the Order wouldn't be able to find it."

"The L.O.O.M. system has a built in tutorial and F.A.Q."

As if in response, a screen on the device lit up. It was covered in dust, and hard to read.

"Hmmm." Blackjack mused. "Radiance mentioned there was no power going to this building, that it was all internal. Are you dependent on an outside power source?"

"No," replied the hologram. "This vault runs off of a variety of redundant power sources ranging from electrical leeching, solar power, and a micro-fusion cell. Outside power will not be required to operate this vault."

"Good to know. So we're taking it with us, everyone?"

"We should, rather than leave it to the Order," Gloom replied in that eerie voice. "I wouldn't leave chewed gum behind if it meant it would help the Order," she added in a mutter.

She glanced at Bodhie, her gaze appraising. "Think you can get it, Muscles?"

Bodhie smiled at Gloom and winked at her, "Time to test my limits I suppose.", the large female hulk said and walked slowly towards the vault tensing and flexing her mighty muscles in preparation of doing some heavy lifting. She looked up and seized the shape and size of the vault trying to find a good point to grab and lift it. Leverage seemed to be impossible but Bodhie had already breached the realms of impossible earlier the question was - how far could she push it? Her heart started beating faster and she felt a surge of adrenaline as she squatted down and shoved her hands under the structure, then she pushed and lifted...

Click to reveal..
ooc: At least that's what she's trying to do - I'm assuming she can lift it from the last chat we had.

"Ooh, pretty." Cyco said, admiring the light as she wiped off the thick layer of grimy dust.

As she pushed away years of disuse, the screen responded, choosing an option by accident. "Oooh, responsive."

Originally Posted By: Gloomy Gus
She glanced at Bodhie, her gaze appraising. "Think you can get it..."

With fingers and eyes a FPS player would orgasm over, Cyco breezed through the tutorial and FAQ in a fury of motion.

Originally Posted By: Still Gloomy
"...Muscles?"
Originally Posted By: Muscles
"Time to test my limits I suppose."

"Okay, I went through it twice to make sure, but this thing is actually easier to operate than an ATM...here...watch...so cool."

Her fingers flying, she input in the information necessary for a dress much liker her own, but allowing for her wings, a pair of sturdy shoes and a cool pair of goggles that made her eyes appear white. Then she stepped back and waited, keeping one eye on Bodhie as she did, just to make sure if she needed to dart out of the way.

Kick Order ass, and look smokin'!

"Wait," Hex said to Bodhi. "I think I can help." She put her hand in the book to keep it open to a particular page and addressed the hologram.

"Would it be all right if I..." she cleared her throat nervously, "...cast a spell on the vault? It won't have any permanent effect on it. It'll just make it smaller, so Bodhi can carry it without being too obvious about it."

"Goldsmith, can you provide us an image of Jasmine Gold?" Kenshin looked to the others as they fiddled with the loom. "We can play with that later. We should remove the vault and then see to rescuing Goldsmith's daughter. If she can access the historical archive we may be able to get a better idea of what we are up against." And a better idea of who my father was, and what I have inherited from him.

The L.O.O.M. appeared to operate much like an actual, old-fashioned loom, shuttling back and forth to weave the material. Then a variety of arms wove the cloth and dyed it. It had an odd texture, unlike anything she'd seen before.

In response to the Scarlet Samurai, a picture loaded over the hologram's left shoulder. It was a young woman, about twenty, black hair and tanned skin, eyes green like emeralds. She had her tongue stuck out at the photographer. "This is the last recorded photograph of Jasmine Gold."

"You may cast your spell. Be advised, however, that any attempt to breach RUBY-9 will most likely fail. Should you succeed, please be prepared to fill out a report detailing what you did."

"Hot jiggity!" Cyco squeeled, letting the fabric texture play over her hands. "It's like having your own tailor."

She stood up and backed away a step as she looked around for a place to change. Frowning at the lack of choices, she zipped away in a gust of wind back down a floor, changed at her inherited celestial speed and zipped back with the same rush of air. She was standing in the same spot, she had left, but was now equipped with her new clothing.

"Tell me...how do I look?" Cyco asked, striking a few 'runway' poses.

"Now wait a minute..." Cyan turned to the hologram, "Are you sayin' that you and that bloody bodyguard are the same thing? I don't like the sounds of that."

But then, if we can get us a weakness outta this one, it might work on the other.

"I won't need to breach anything," Hex reproves. "Just prepare the vault to be moved while I get this started."

She begins reciting words from the book balanced in her hands, the language unfamiliar to anyone present. The lights in the building flicker uneasily as she reads, and an unnatural stillness creeps in. All the normal sounds that normally hum in the background; the drone of power lines, the whooshing of cars outside, the pings and pops of thermal settling...all of those seemed to pause as if the world itself were startled at Hex's audacity, and was waiting to see what happened next.

There wasn't long to wait. The ritual...though Hex was obviously hurrying through it, and from how her eyes jumped over the page, she was probably leaving a lot out...took only about a minute and a half from start to finish. At the end she walked over to the revealed Vault and put her hand to it.

There was a distortion, as if momentarily viewing the world through a fisheye lens, then all was normal again...except that the Vault was now no longer 20x30 feet large. Instead it was a little over two by three.

The floor under it was shivering, and cracking.

Hex nodded at Bodhi, still reciting the chant under her breath. She managed to blurt, "It's still really heavy," before the vault started to distort again, and she had to hurriedly resume the chant to stabilize it.

Though its weight was undiminished by her spell, what had been the size of a semi trailer was now about the size of a guitar case.

Now they just needed a place to put it.

(OOC - Note that this can be assumed to follow any remaining dialogue folks have with the hologram. I'm not trying to cut people off. This is just what finishes the scene, when folks are ready.

Okay, I'm spending a hero point to jury-rig a magical ritual. The ritual is 12 ranks of Shrink, with the following modifiers: Affects Others (only)and Duration reduced to Concentration (she has to keep chanting the spell). Total cost is 6cp (12 ranks at 1cp/2 ranks). DC of ritual is 15+6 = 21. Knowledge: Arcane Lore roll: 26. Outcome: Success!)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2459672/

Sharatur stands back and watches as everyone else interacts with the thing, unable to shake her premonition that they are being too trusting, that something is wrong.

She eyes CyCo in mild disbelief. "Oh no. Oh, no no no no. Costumes? No. No. That's just...no. Gah!"

"No."

The Necronaut looked down at his forest-green sweater-vest, his tattered, muddy slacks and bedraggled lab-coat. He straightened his tie self-consciously. His overactive imagination hit a wall, not because he couldn't imagine anything else, but because he couldn't imagine anything more 'him'. "Um, I'll just take another set like I'm wearing, thanks."

The hologram paused. "Extrapolation of aging process is beyond the parameters of this device. There may be other resources in the world capable of such a feat." It flickered off as Hex's spell took hold.

The vault successfully shrank to a size more easily hidden. Now that it was smaller, everyone could see the vast support system with super-strong metal beams beneath it. Below that was the ceiling tiles of the room below.

Blackjack coughed. Then spoke. "Okay, judging by the acoustics I'd say it's smaller now. Now we just need to get it out of here. I'm not that familiar with this city. Any suggestions?"

„Wow…“, Bodhie stepped back from the vault staring open mouthed at Hex’s magical mumbojumbo. Suddenly the entire structure shrank and ended up being barely larger than a guitar case. It’s diminished size betrayed it’s weight though and Bodhie had to keep in mind that it was still extremely heavy. Looking back to Hex she took a deep breath and nodded in approval. „That’s absolutely amazing, Hex… shall I try to lift it now or does anyone else want to have a try at it?“

Bodhie seemed eager to put herself to the test but if someone had a better solution, she would patiently wait.

"You know, that's a good point. I don't really feel any stronger, but..." she cautiously approaches the shrunken thing, casting a disbelieving glance or two Larissa's way as she does. She bends her legs, keeping her back vertical, and takes hold of either side of the thing, looking ready to bolt if it so much as beeps at her.

Once she's sure of her grip, Sharatur flexes, the strain evident on every muscle in her body...and absolutely nothing happens. The thing might as well be bolted to the building's foundation for all the movement she gets out of it.

Next she tries teleporting, jumping less than ten feet so she stays within the thing's support structure. She moves, it doesn't, and she's left kneeling and holding nothing at all. Sharatur stands up, dusting her hands off and stepping back, smiling wryly. "Guess I can't have everything." Her eyes meeting Bodhie's, she sweeps one arm forward in an after-you gesture, bowing slightly.

It was the heaviest thing Bodhie had ever lifted. But she managed to lift it just fine.

From the streets outside, the bworp-bworp-bworp of the Knight Watchman police sirens could be heard faintly. Blackjack heard them first.

"Okay then. We have it. Now we need to get out of here."

Hex grimaced as she chanted under her breath. She pantomimed opening a door, then shook her head. She hoped the meaning was clear; she couldn't do her doorway spell while she was maintaining the shrink spell on the Vault.

Gloom had been thinking; she'd never had to do that while with the Knights and found out why: it was hard. "Radiance," she said in her near-whisper, "can you make something out of light that can fly or lift us out of here? I'm drawing a blank otherwise."

Archived