[IC] Oriental Exchange

Rorx

Mike smiles, "Well, although I know a couple of styles of Kung Fu, I'm only about the equivalent of a black belt I suppose, so pretty good but no master. Having said that, while I may be technically less skilled than this teacher I have inherited some of my father's agility and so I am well able to hold my own in the fights I have had so far."

He takes a sip of his coffee, "The magazine idea might be best, but I'm afraid I don't really follow them to be able to suggest which one to pose as being from. Either of you have any ideas."

"Not particularly. The main style I practice is jujutsu, though I konw some tricks from other styles. Enough perhaps to make them think I actually work for one of the broader scope magazines. See if there's any information on any current students or teachers that would make them noteworthy enough for a reputable magazine to do an article."

Qiang looked uncomfortable at the question, "I can fight, if need be. I can also try and ensure that a fight doesn't break out. I just worry that the more we work to either prevent or be prepared the more likely we are to cause something to happen."

• 3 weeks later...

The others followed, and although the traffic had eased from it's rush hour peak it was still quite busy. As they turned into the road it was clear to see that there was still little in the way of parking places.

Reaching the area of the house they heard the door open while still at least partially hidden by the trees and hedges acting as a boundary between the house's garden and the neighbours. They paused at the sound of voices,

A rough, male voice with an asian accent starts, "Thank you for your efforts."

Brusque american female, "Yeah, well, tell your 'Master' to watch it in future, or he can find another company."

The sound of heels on the ground underlies the reply and women they had seen the night before emerge on to the pavement, with one slightly behind the others. They turn the otherway down the street and pay no attention to the 3 men in the morning shadows of the trees.

As they approach the door they can just make out low voices through the door, two or three of them. The door is closed, but in a small window to one side of the door can be seen an open sign and a couple of posters. One poster has the name of the style and the Masters name along with the opening times, the other is a clipping from a magazine extolling some recent competition wins by members of the school.

Inside there are three well-built men, the smaller of them turns to the other one closest to the door and says something in Japanese that seems to be a question before turning his attention to the three of you.

"Good morning to you all" he says with a shallow bow of the neck.

"We are always happy to welcome new students. The next scheduled beginners class is not until this evening, but we could sort out the paperwork and see how fit you are. Have any of you study any martial arts before?"

Mike lets the others go ahead of him as he had been in the local paper for a martial arts event about 8 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Qiang thought about it for a moment before replying, "Nothing formally, though I have been in fights before." A deceptive answer but one that required no true lie on his part; most of Qiang's fighting was self taught and what wasn't was informally learned from others. He'd never had a formal class as such.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived